2018-19 Full Year Slates (Division B)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: 2018-19 Full Year Slates (Division B)

Post by Buscemi2 »

Except early word's been rather good on Aquaman. But of course, anything's an improvement from Justice League.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Buscemi2 wrote:I don't understand why Mary Poppins is getting so much attention both box office and awards-wise. It looks to have the exact same plot as Christopher Robin (childhood friend coming back to save the family) and that ended up with mixed reviews and disappointing box office.

Also, are today's children familiar with the original?
It’s a musical over Christmas and Emily Blount/Lin-Manuel Miranda are scorching hot names right now. If the songs are even reasonably memorable it’ll print money because the legs will be outstanding.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Mary Poppins is going to make $400 million.

Aquaman is going to make $300 million.

They're going to torch everything else in their path until Glass, and even that will drop a little because of these two I think.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Glass is getting a strong push and IMAX screens though. I feel its result will depend on how the film ends.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

STANDINGS (WEEK 31/52)

1. UDM - $1,189,397,849 (5 films - Incredibles 2, Crazy Rich Asians, A Star is Born, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, The Favourite; 3 finished)
2. Shryke - $794,873,725 (2 films - The House with a Clock in its Walls, Beautiful Boy; 7 finished)
3. W - $765,007,561 (4 films - Smallfoot, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, Overlord, Instant Family; 5 finished)
4. Brockster - $639,143,830 (1 film - The Girl in the Spider's Web; 9 finished)
5. weissac - $632,148,196 (2 films - Bad Times at the El Royale, Robin Hood; 6 finished)
6. Nicodemus - $613,312,305 (4 films - Halloween, Bohemian Rhapsody, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald, The Possession of Hannah Grace; 8 finished)
7. transformers - $596,263,592 (4 films - Night School, The Hate U Give, First Man, Dr. Seuss' The Grinch; 5 finished)
8. Ron B - $551,530,240 (7 films - The Old Man and the Gun, Venom, Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween, Nobody's Fool, Boy Erased, Widows, Ralph Breaks the Internet; 3 finished)
9. Banks - $496,601,309 (4 films - The Sisters Brothers, Suspiria, Green Book, Creed 2; 5 finished)
10. Surfer - $213,441,625 (1 film - The Front Runner; 4 finished)

The following films would appear to be done:

Hotel Transylvania: Summer Vacation (weissac, 2nd round) = $167,510,016
Disney's Christopher Robin (weissac, 4th round) = $99,215,042
The Predator (Ron B, 6th round) = $51,024,708
Hunter Killer (Ron B, 11th round) = $15,767,460
Unbroken: Path to Redemption (Brockster, 13th round) = $6,216,488
Indivisible (Nicodemus, 16th round) = $3,488,595

12/7:
Mary Queen of Scots (UDM, 8th round)
Vox Lux (Banks, WW)
Ben is Back (UDM, WW)

12/14:
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Banks, 3rd round)
Mortal Engines (UDM, 3rd round)
The Mule (Nicodemus, 11th round)
If Beale Street Could Talk (Surfer, 12th round)

12/21:
Mary Poppins Returns (Banks, 1st round)
Aquaman (Nicodemus, 2nd round)
Bumblebee (Shryke, 4th round)
Welcome to Marwen (Banks, 9th round)
Second Act (Banks, 10th round)

12/28:
Holmes & Watson (Brockster, 3rd round)
Vice (Brockster, 8th round)
On the Basis of Sex (UDM, 9th round)
Destroyer (W, 15th round)
Stan & Ollie (UDM, WW)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Post by NicodemustheSage »

Well, IMDb has updated its USA Release Date for "Avengers: Endgame" (I STILL think they ought to have called it, "4vengers" :D ) to "26 April 2019", and NOW I'm happy. Watch out, top five! ;)

https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/ ... as-arrived

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I have a feeling they'll call it Ball Chin's Revenge in Europe.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Sounds like a Bond movie.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

NicodemustheSage wrote:Well, IMDb has updated its USA Release Date for "Avengers: Endgame" (I STILL think they ought to have called it, "4vengers" :D ) to "26 April 2019", and NOW I'm happy. Watch out, top five! ;)

https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/ ... as-arrived

--Nico.
I dont know, i think the Incredibles could take the Avengers....

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

You mean, in terms of domestic gross? It's possible. I think the rumored nearly-three-hour-runtime of "4vengers" -- sorry, "Avengers: Endgame"! -- will potentially hurt its revenue, both OW and long-term. And SOME fans were turned off by the ending of "Infinity War", and may not be coming back to the MCU, at least, not as theatergoing patrons. I do think it will gross $1.5B worldwide, easily, probably even upwards of $2B. But I doubt Disney will see as much profit as they did for "Infinity War".

Frankly, I think Disney ought already be on the lookout for novel IP. They are going to need to radically slow down and scale back the "Star Wars" films, and I think with "Avenged Fourfold" (still my favorite title) the salad days of the MCU are at an end, and they will become somewhat less of a dominant force in entertainment. If I were them I might seriously consider making a play for DC, though with "Wonder Woman" and "Aquaman" probably becoming fan-favorite franchises in their own rights, those rights may well be unaffordable just now. Perhaps "The Belgariad" would tempt them.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I dunno, Nico, I think Avengers: Ctrl+z will actaully be huge. I've yet to hear of anyone turned off at the ending, quite the opposite in fact, and so that leaves audiences needing closure, which this will supposedly give, as it closes off the 22-film run. That's pretty important. Harry Potter and (to a lesser extent) Twilight saw upticks for the final part. I could see Avengers: File -> Undo opening to nearly 300m and actually beating Infinity War in domestic and global.

Agreed on Disney, for sure. With Star Wars showing signs of fatigue and the MCU potentially doing so after Avengers: Previous Save Point they will need something big to keep up their titanic scale.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Avengers: Endgame?? They stole my subtitle from my Wielders series!! I'll sue!!

Who's with me?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I can't see Disney buying Warner Media, especially after swallowing up Fox.

If Marvel did buy another comic book company, I'd expect it to be a smaller label like Image, Valiant, or Boom Studios (who's been screwed twice by Disney in recent years).

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

NicodemustheSage wrote:You mean, in terms of domestic gross? It's possible. I think the rumored nearly-three-hour-runtime of "4vengers" -- sorry, "Avengers: Endgame"! -- will potentially hurt its revenue, both OW and long-term. And SOME fans were turned off by the ending of "Infinity War", and may not be coming back to the MCU, at least, not as theatergoing patrons. I do think it will gross $1.5B worldwide, easily, probably even upwards of $2B. But I doubt Disney will see as much profit as they did for "Infinity War".

Frankly, I think Disney ought already be on the lookout for novel IP. They are going to need to radically slow down and scale back the "Star Wars" films, and I think with "Avenged Fourfold" (still my favorite title) the salad days of the MCU are at an end, and they will become somewhat less of a dominant force in entertainment. If I were them I might seriously consider making a play for DC, though with "Wonder Woman" and "Aquaman" probably becoming fan-favorite franchises in their own rights, those rights may well be unaffordable just now. Perhaps "The Belgariad" would tempt them.

--Nico.

Actually i would love an Avengers vs Incredibles mashup, would be more exciting than the inevitable Avengers vs Xmen

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Maybe we can see one staged in the eventual third "Wreck-It Ralph" film. Damn, I miss 'Disney Infinity'.

I am fair convinced we'll see "AvX" in Phase Six, ten or twelve years from now. Possibly that will be the next paradigm-changer in the MCU.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.