2018-19 Full Year Slates (Division B)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Re: 2018-19 Full Year Slates (Division B)

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:I'm sure that the untitled STX is getting pushed and I'm convinced it was intended to be Den of Thieves 2. At this point, I'm thinking Kursk will end up on Netflix or with another distributor (my best guess is that Cohen Media Group or the newly-formed company headed by former STX people gets it if Netflix doesn't). STX got out of releasing festival-type movies after Hardcore Henry and Desierto (both Toronto pickups in 2015) flopped* and I'm not sure if Kursk would do any business outside of the big cities. In addition, early word is rather mixed (53 on Metacritic).

* - Their Finest was the result of the short-lived distribution deal with EuropaCorp. STX only distributed the film while EuropaCorp bought the film and paid for prints and advertising.
Desierto was actually a good movie - it should have had a wider release than it did. It probably would have been able to have a decent gross considering how topical it was.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Desierto was only going to play well in Latino-heavy markets (and it did comparable PTA numbers to a well-marketed Pantelion title on opening weekend). Spanish-language films tend not to have wide appeal unless they star Eugenio Derbez.

But what really hurt Desierto was the combination of mixed reviews and STX's decision to sell it as being from the co-writer of Gravity. When the intended audience sees a Cuaron attached, they're going to expect high quality. Then they read the reviews and decide it's not worth the time (Alfonso's TV show bombed around this time due to negative reviews). STX needed to sell the thriller elements instead of hoping for awards buzz.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I remember the movie being dumped after multiple delays - trailers for the film were out almost a year prior. I remember being suprised when the trailer for that and Hardcore Henry weren't attached with The Boy when that came out (I think that came out right before the first delay).
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Post by NicodemustheSage »

"Bumblebee" is heading for $120M. Not bad, Shryke.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquaman-bu ... 202524462/
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Paramount better hope international totals elevate the end result. $135 million production cost due to the long development period and who knows how much went into marketing.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

NicodemustheSage wrote:"Bumblebee" is heading for $120M. Not bad, Shryke.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquaman-bu ... 202524462/

I'm doing The Carlton right now. :D
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I feel confident we'll see "Optimus Prime: A Transformers Story", now, anyway.
I remain, as always.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Meanwhile Holmes and Watson is tanking big time for me. I'm hearing reports it is so bad people are walking out of the theater. I totally biffed this year in the Draft besides a couple solid picks. My middle rounds absolutely crushed me.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

About a week or so ago I said, "'Aquaman'... won't do" "'Guardians of the Galaxy'"-style numbers.

Was I wrong?

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquaman-ma ... 202526812/
I remain, as always.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

In a perfect world you would be right because Aquaman is such an awful film there's no way it should make so much money. But we're not in a perfect world.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I actually really enjoyed it. Oh, it was overlong. Repetitive (how many narrative beats were announced with an explosion mid-expositional conversation?). Very familiar. And sometimes deeply silly. But it was JOYFUL. Unapologetically, unrepentantly, unremittingly full of wonder and spectacle and exuberance. Frankly, no superhero movie has done THAT since "Superman Returns" for me, and it was long overdue.

"Aquaman" isn't a comic-book movie concerned with impressing its audience with its self-awareness, brooding sobriety and overdramatized oh-so-seriousness. It isn't a film that is ashamed of its content or inspiration or origins. It isn't trying to be just a necessary stepping-stone along a path designed to culminate in a billion-dollar international generation-defining four-quadrant "event" theatergoing experience.

It's just a damned fun piece of work, and it's one of the most gorgeous films ever lensed. It made my eyes leap and my heart soar, and that's good enough, folks.
I remain, as always.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

It seems you judge the film only through the prism of superhero films, but even if I had done that, I would have found it embarassing. I just expected it to be at least fun and well done, but it was neither for me. It's way too badly made to be any of that. The joy comes from the quality of the craft, even when a film doesn't want to be serious. No film should ever be made badly because it's just trying to be fun. In the end it ends up being a drag because being fun needs serious talent. And I don't see any talent anywhere in this film unfortunately.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Well, much as I admire high standards, I'm sorry you got no enjoyment out of the film.
I remain, as always.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Because of BOM's abbreviated list this weekend, I'm not going to list any film as "done" until after the holidays are over. (I have marked the films that haven't reported with an asterisk.)

STANDINGS (WEEK 35/52)

1. UDM - $1,238,252,609 (9 films - Crazy Rich Asians, A Star is Born, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, The Favourite, Mary Queen of Scots, Ben is Back, Mortal Engines, On the Basis of Sex, Stan & Ollie; 4 finished)
2. Nicodemus - $924,741,831 (7 films - Halloween, Indivisible*, Bohemian Rhapsody, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald, The Possession of Hannah Grace*, The Mule, Aquaman; 8 finished)
3. Shryke - $862,493,779 (3 films - The House with a Clock in its Walls, Beautiful Boy, Bumblebee; 7 finished)
4. W - $788,227,573 (5 films - Smallfoot, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, Overlord*, Instant Family, Destroyer; 5 finished)
5. Banks - $775,837,123 (9 films - The Sisters Brothers*, Suspiria*, Green Book, Creed 2, Vox Lux, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Mary Poppins Returns, Welcome to Marwen, Second Act; 5 finished)
6. transformers - $658,829,995 (4 films - Night School, The Hate U Give, First Man, Dr. Seuss' The Grinch; 5 finished)
7. Brockster - $645,071,012 (4 films - The Girl in the Spider's Web*, Once Upon a Deadpool*, Holmes & Watson, Vice; 8 finished)
8. weissac - $640,979,388 (1 film - Robin Hood; 6 finished)
9. Ron B - $619,357,081 (7 films - The Old Man and the Gun, Venom*, Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween*, Nobody's Fool*, Boy Erased, Widows, Ralph Breaks the Internet; 3 finished)
10. Surfer - $215,763,252 (2 films - The Front Runner*, If Beale Street Could Talk; 4 finished)

The following films would appear to be done:

1/4:
Escape Room (transformers, WW)

1/11:
A Dog's Way Home (transformers, 8th round)
Replicas (Brockster, 11th round)
The Upside (Banks, WW)

1/18:
Glass (Surfer, 3rd round)

1/25:
The Kid Who Would Be King (weissac, 11th round)
Serenity (weissac, WW)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I have a sneaking suspicion that "The Upside" is going to make more money at the domestic box office than "Vice". Something about that seems wrong, but I can't quantify it, exactly.
I remain, as always.