2018-19 Full Year Slates (Division B)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Re: 2018-19 Full Year Slates (Division B)

Post by NicodemustheSage »

...Man, I just cannot BELIEVE how badly "Grindlewald" is performing compared to the first "Fantastic Beasts" film -- down 27%, holy cow. At this rate it will peter out somewhere around $180M, at best. That's a nearly $100M hickey from where I hoped it might end up. Damn.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think Harry Potter, err, I mean Wizarding World fatigue was bound to set in. Warner Bros. tried too hard to force this franchise onto people (and the previous film was already the lowest grossing Potter-related film).

I think had Steve Kloves written the screenplay instead of Rowling and Dumbledore been the main character instead of a random stand-in, the series wouldn't be in the shape that it is.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

NicodemustheSage wrote:...Man, I just cannot BELIEVE how badly "Grindlewald" is performing compared to the first "Fantastic Beasts" film -- down 27%, holy cow. At this rate it will peter out somewhere around $180M, at best. That's a nearly $100M hickey from where I hoped it might end up. Damn.

--Nico.
I'm not surprised, to be honest. The film was terrible (I thought that the first one was too, but I seem to be in the minority), and there were much more appealing options available during the crowded Thanksgiving season. I also think that Warner Bros. didn't realize that the reason people liked Harry Potter was due to the characters in that series and their dynamics. An adaptation of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, I think, would have done better.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Except the fans hate The Cursed Child and many of them consider it non-canonical.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

If the fans hate The Cursed Child I've no idea who ensures every single show sells out in London's Palace Theatre for the past 3 years

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Harry Potter fans are like many other fans of big franchises (Star Wars and Star Trek, for example): they hate on it constantly but still buy every new item that comes out.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:Except the fans hate The Cursed Child and many of them consider it non-canonical.
I wouldn't think that the average person would know about any sort of backlash towards it (I wasn't aware about that until now).
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Congrats Nico! A ~$300M 4th round pick is HUGE
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I appreciate it! Glad a couple of my weird plays are beginning to pay off ("Halloween" and "The Mule" being two others). So many others ("Tag", especially, but also "FB2", maddeningly) didn't, so much. But, that's life in the NFL, baby!

I'm also VERY pleased to see how well "Aguaman" ;) is opening in The Middle Kingdom. If it overplays expectations like that here, might just be looking at a $115-$120M OW and MAYBE $300M or so in total gross. That, along with "4vengers", would put me in contention for top-four status at the finish, I should think.

Lotta game left to play, tho, and best not to count my chickens 'til they're in the nuggets.

--Nico.
Last edited by NicodemustheSage on December 10th, 2018, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I remain, as always.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Considering I actually have a child that is very, very into everything Harry Potter I can tell you there's not as much "backlash" that is claimed by the fans. Even if they lose a bit on the actual film, the merchandising is well worth it. These films aren't coming out just before Christmas for no reason. Run into every 12 year old's favorite store (Hot Topic) and tell me The Wizarding World has lost steam. Or try to walk around Harry Potter land at Universal like I did this summer.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Nico surges up to fourth. What a logjam in the middle of the pack!

STANDINGS (WEEK 32/52)

1. UDM - $1,195,331,423 (7 films - Incredibles 2, Crazy Rich Asians, A Star is Born, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, The Favourite, Mary Queen of Scots, Ben is Back; 3 finished)
2. Shryke - $795,111,325 (2 films - The House with a Clock in its Walls, Beautiful Boy; 7 finished)
3. W - $775,636,077 (4 films - Smallfoot, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, Overlord, Instant Family; 5 finished)
4. Nicodemus - $645,122,036 (5 films - Halloween, Indivisible, Bohemian Rhapsody, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald, The Possession of Hannah Grace; 8 finished)
5. Brockster - $639,255,855 (1 film - The Girl in the Spider's Web; 9 finished)
6. weissac - $637,582,756 (1 film - Robin Hood; 6 finished)
7. transformers - $616,324,878 (4 films - Night School, The Hate U Give, First Man, Dr. Seuss' The Grinch; 5 finished)
8. Ron B - $580,251,602 (7 films - The Old Man and the Gun, Venom, Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween, Nobody's Fool, Boy Erased, Widows, Ralph Breaks the Internet; 3 finished)
9. Banks - $517,884,258 (5 films - The Sisters Brothers, Suspiria, Green Book, Creed 2, Vox Lux; 5 finished)
10. Surfer - $213,724,540 (1 film - The Front Runner; 4 finished)

The following films would appear to be done:

Bad Times at the El Royale (with Cheese) (weissac, 9th round) = $17,839,115

12/14:
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Banks, 3rd round)
Mortal Engines (UDM, 3rd round)
The Mule (Nicodemus, 11th round)
If Beale Street Could Talk (Surfer, 12th round)

12/21:
Mary Poppins Returns (Banks, 1st round)
Aquaman (Nicodemus, 2nd round)
Bumblebee (Shryke, 4th round)
Welcome to Marwen (Banks, 9th round)
Second Act (Banks, 10th round)

12/28:
Holmes & Watson (Brockster, 3rd round)
Vice (Brockster, 8th round)
On the Basis of Sex (UDM, 9th round)
Destroyer (W, 15th round)
Stan & Ollie (UDM, WW)

1/4:
Eli (Shryke, 10th round)
Escape Room (transformers, WW)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Lotta game left to play. Call me The Constipator!

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

NicodemustheSage wrote:Call me The Constipator!

--Nico.

Uh, no. I'll leave that to the younger folk.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I was bound to annoy you with that one.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

W wrote:Considering I actually have a child that is very, very into everything Harry Potter I can tell you there's not as much "backlash" that is claimed by the fans. Even if they lose a bit on the actual film, the merchandising is well worth it. These films aren't coming out just before Christmas for no reason. Run into every 12 year old's favorite store (Hot Topic) and tell me The Wizarding World has lost steam. Or try to walk around Harry Potter land at Universal like I did this summer.
This is where I'm at. Everything I see in my world screams Harry Potter is just as popular as ever. it's just the movie not doing well. Weird.