2018-19 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: 2018-19 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow.

I will take Avengers: Infinity War. Did so NOT expect that.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think it's a little ridiculous to expect Captain Marvel to play like Black Panther. First of all, March is insanely crowded (there are at least four other possible $100 million grossers). Second, Wonder Woman stole a lot of this film's thunder and Captain Marvel is far more obscure. Third, the insane amount of misogyny in the comic book community (Wonder Woman was able to fight it because that's an iconic character) and Marvel's pandering to it (the only reason why we're getting an Ant-Man sequel is because Marvel couldn't be trusted to give The Wasp her own movie). Lastly, the fact that Marvel hired a male/female team to direct suggests Marvel is still distrusting of women and their product.

I'm not saying it's going to flop but it's not going to bring in the numbers some of the other Marvel titles have.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The only way it's going to hit those lofty goals is if everything else moves. One reason for Black Panther's success was that so much junk came afterwards. Captain Marvel must face the second week of a How to Train Your Dragon sequel (yes, the second underperformed but they have fans), the follow-up to Get Out, a Godzilla sequel that sets up for a rematch with King Kong, and a new version of Dumbo (and these live-action versions of Disney animated classics have been big moneymakers). And there's the wild card that's Chaos Walking (it could be The Maze Runner or I Am Number Four).

That's too much to overcome.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

A lot of people let Marvel get to the end of the first, beginning of the second last year and I don't think people are willing to chance that again. Also, last year there were four Marvels and two DCs and this year there are two and a half Marvels and one DC. One of those Marvels failed last time (for a Marvel film) and DC is quite a bit shaken. You have one other surefire Superhero film other than those and everything else has question marks.

I had Avengers and another definitely over Captain Marvel, perhaps a couple more.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Anyone heard from Banks?

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Post by NicodemustheSage »

Heellloooo, everybody. Long time! Great to be back, looking forward to having some fun, talking some smack and generally embarrassing the Hell out of myself. ;)

- - - - -

However, I digress.

I remain, as always...

Nico.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Brockster wrote:Anyone heard from Banks?
I sent him an email. He technically has 24 hours. It's only been 2. I suspect he'll answer before long.

And also: welcome to Thunderdome, Nico!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Welcome back Nico, I hope you're gonna fun with us, like in the good ol' days ! ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Indeed:

https://youtu.be/qY5a0O7qpZY

So, Shrykester, I know we talked about this offline, but I just wanted to repeat myself, and also to be redundant: I think taking "Avengers: Infinity War" as your first-round pick was a GREAT freaking move. This film has more upside than half of a "Stranger Things" filming location. I think $850M domestic is within reach, and this thing's got room to stretch its legs. Would not surprise me AT ALL to see "Infinity War" spend eight weekends in the Top Five (Hell, "Black Panther"'s still a Top-5 film, and it might stay that way another weekend or maybe even two, as people either rediscover it post-"Avengers" or maybe have it as their fallback choice should "Thanos and Friends" continue to sell out across the board.) I, myself, have already seen it twice and will do so at least twice more, once in IMAX.

Also, I now think there needs to be a short Marvel film in the intermission between "Infinity War" and "Infinity War 2: Even More Infinite" starring Rocket, Vulture, and Ant-Man called, "The ScAvengers". :D

Oh, on an unrelated note, and to catch up real fast: Still living, still living in North Texas, still married, packing a soon-to-be 19-year-old NicoPrincess (fresh off her high school senior prom, Lord help me) off to pre-vet school at Oklahoma State in August, and packing NicoBLM ("Big Little Man"), aged five, off to kindergarten on the very same day. (Logistics, urg.) I spent the last decade managing and DMing specialty retail -- comic book shops and game and collectibles stores and GameStops -- and doing consulting in that market space, and have spent the last couple years focusing on raising our son, who has autism. Still a conservative, still a dork, still an occasional contributor to some entertainment publications, and I still see 100 films a year. Still long-winded -- as a former Fantasy Moguls editor quipped, "Cromack never uses five words, when seventy-three will do." Y'all are welcome to Friend me on FB -- I'm the only "Rick Cromack" worth knowing, trust me. ;) I wouldn't follow me on Twitter -- I'm sort of political there.

Shryke, you awe me, man. Well done, my great, good friend. And your books are pretty damned good, too. If you haven't read 'em, folks, go correct that oversight. Now. :D

And, now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

- - - - -

However, I digress.

I remain, as always...

Nico.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Chien:

Oh, absolutely, you bet. I'm like a fine wine... I'm overpriced, snooty, and am far better with a cork stuck in me. :D

- - - - -

However, I digress.

I remain, as always...

Nico.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Don't tell me you eat your steaks well-done with ketchup.

As for me, Nico, I'm not the punk I used to be (though some I'm sure would disagree, I don't blame them).

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Boussh! Long time, my friend. Glad you're still around to keep everyone on their toes.

Well-done steak? What am I, a Philistine? And I only eat catsup on hot dogs, hamburgers, meat loaf, and fries. (And, then, that last only when no ranch dressing is available.)

https://youtu.be/_cnPZSM85j8

- - - - -

However, I digress.

I remain, as always...

Nico.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

That's my forte. :D You'll probably get a kick out of some of my columns (there's one coming next week).

And some people will never understand the joys of a juicy piece of beef (such as my dad, who eats like an old prospector).

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

My Dad loves well done steak, it hurts me everytime I see him cook one to the color of coal.

Picking here in a minute...
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife