2018-19 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: 2018-19 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

Post by undeadmonkey »

wow, some crazy picks, This is why Division B is more fun ;)

Captain Marvel before Avengers! Obviously the date change has screwed with everyone and we're not quite sure where Avengers will stack up with it's first week of gross taken out. I keep waffling on it, it seems to be getting great feedback, but i don't see it holding much better than previous avengers and yet maybe moving it up a week gives it 3 weeks all by itself with no competition allowing it to have a better hold. However, there's no guarantee that Captain Marvel will break out beyond the standard superhero flick... and yes i realize we all said this about Black Panther as well.

Mary Poppins Returns.... didn't think this would go so high, but i guess two years of seriously over performing musicals. Now add nostalgia, this could be huge so great choice.

The Grinch was definitely top 10 for me as well, if creepy jim carrey can be the top grossing film of it's year, this should do great

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'm not gonna lie, somehow I thought DP2 had already been taken when I made my pick.

Damn Division A confusing me!
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Hell, Nico, welcome back!

How do we all look? Good? That grey hair is a fashion choice! We actually wanted our balls to drop to the ground and bounce whenever we walk!

Erm...

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Post by NicodemustheSage »

Hiya, Six, long time! You look mahveluhs!

(Advance to 2:40)

https://youtu.be/QQksM5zPNTU

- - - - -

However, I digress.

I remain, as always...

Nico.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Brilliant. I knew we'd find a use for them, now that the useful bit is now withered

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

BTW, Shryke and Nico, I hope you're right about Infinity War. Even the adored Civil War only made 50% of its total box office after its opening week. But it's true I've been hearing about fans going nuts about it, so maybe it has stronger, Thor-like legs.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'm more surprised someone man a music video dedicated to the relationship at the center of Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

[Shrug] The French have a saying: It is the fate of glass to break. And it is the fate of grapes, to shrivel into raisins. It's a... Circle of Life thing.

https://youtu.be/XHDswoD_IxI

- - - - -

However, I digress.

I remain, as always...

Nico.
Last edited by NicodemustheSage on April 30th, 2018, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Banksy: One is glad to be of service. ;)

- - - - -

However, I digress.

I remain, as always...

Nico.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Jeez, Nico, it's like you never left. Don't never leave again. ;)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Someone call Ron!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I'm not gonna lie, somehow I thought DP2 had already been taken when I made my pick.

Damn Division A confusing me!

I know the first one was loved, but i just can't see Deadpool 2 doing as well as the first. it's got better competition and i know it's a superhero movie 'technically' but really it's a comedy. So few comedy sequels do as well as the first.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

NicodemustheSage wrote:The French have a saying: It is the fate of glass to break. And it is the fate of grapes, to shrivel into raisins.
It must be French-Canadian, from Quebec. Or Cajun from Louisiana. Or maybe I just don't know this one :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

undeadmonkey wrote:wow, some crazy picks, This is why Division B is more fun ;)

Captain Marvel before Avengers! Obviously the date change has screwed with everyone and we're not quite sure where Avengers will stack up with it's first week of gross taken out. I keep waffling on it, it seems to be getting great feedback, but i don't see it holding much better than previous avengers and yet maybe moving it up a week gives it 3 weeks all by itself with no competition allowing it to have a better hold. However, there's no guarantee that Captain Marvel will break out beyond the standard superhero flick... and yes i realize we all said this about Black Panther as well.

Mary Poppins Returns.... didn't think this would go so high, but i guess two years of seriously over performing musicals. Now add nostalgia, this could be huge so great choice.

The Grinch was definitely top 10 for me as well, if creepy jim carrey can be the top grossing film of it's year, this should do great
Im intrigued, just what is the expectation of a standard superhero flick? $280m? If that is the floor to Captain Marvel (which I think as a lead in to the next Avengers movie it isnt), that is still a decent platform to build upon. I think following Wonder Woman last year, the market is opening up to female led super hero movies, and so while Im not expecting Black Panther numbers, I would not be surprised to see it hit $500m at all. For me, Avengers will probably pull in somewhere between $300-400m from next Friday til the end of its run, and while they are very decent numbers, I just think the ceiling is now higher for Captain Marvel.

As for Mary Poppins, I was very interested in that movie too. Not enough to pick it in slot 4 of the draft, but in Banks position, it would probably have been my front runner. Though the only thing that dampened my estimates was the amount of competition it will face during the festive period. I mean, look at the movies being released around then with blockbuster potential! It will be carnage and I can imagine quite a few very big movies will crash and burn, but Mary Poppins will probably survive better than most.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Chien:

Yeah, I stole that line ("The French have a saying: It is the fate of glass to break") from "Spectre". Sounded shady to me, too; but, then, the character saying it was the British version of Thufir Hawat, Master of Assassins. ;)

https://youtu.be/8eu-JIhcp9s

- - - - -

However, I digress.

I remain, as always...

Nico.