2017-18 Full Year Slates (Division A)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: 2017-18 Full Year Slates (Division A)

Post by Shrykespeare »

A lot of movies did not post exact numbers for this weekend, and a lot more didn't report at all, so I won't call any movie "done" just yet. However, I can only report what I can see, so here are the numbers that have been reported.

STANDINGS (WEEK 9/52)

1. Chien - $429,027,742 (2 films - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Snatched)
2. Six - $380,176,194 (3 films - Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Wonder Woman, It Comes at Night)
3. Shaan - $207,823,828 (4 films - Alien: Covenant, Rough Night, All Eyez on Me, Despicable Me 3)
4. UDM - $204,312,466 (2 films - King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales)
5. aquamann - $201,403,289 (3 films - Captain Underpants, Transformers; The Last Knight, Baby Driver)
6. W - $120,879,378 (1 film - Cars 3)
7. Geezer - $110,544,643 (3 films - Everything Everything, The Mummy, The Big Sick)
8. JohnErle - $57,247,747 (1 film - Baywatch)
9. Walleye - $20,503,794 (2 film - Megan Leavey, The House)
Spectre - first film out 7/21

7/7:
Spider-Man: Homecoming (W, 1st round)
A Ghost Story (JohnErle, 16th round)

7/14:
War for the Planet of the Apes (Six, 2nd round)
Wish Upon (Geezer, 11th round)

7/21:
Dunkirk (Spectre, 2nd round)
Valerian and the Land of a Thousand Planets (Chien, 5th round)
Girls Trip (JohnErle, 6th round)

7/28:
The Emoji Movie (W, 3rd round)
Atomic Blonde (UDM, 7th round)
An Inconvenient Sequel (Walleye, 11th round)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Looking forward to what Atomic Blonde can add to my slate. originals have been received well this summer.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

STANDINGS (WEEK 10/52)

1. Chien - $431,355,640 (2 films - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Snatched)
2. Six - $402,758,742 (3 films - Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Wonder Woman, It Comes at Night)
3. Shaan - $288,436,949 (4 films - Alien: Covenant, Rough Night, All Eyez on Me, Despicable Me 3)
4. W - $250,507,163 (2 films - Cars 3, Spider-Man: Homecoming)
5. aquamann - $246,664,777 (3 films - Captain Underpants, Transformers; The Last Knight, Baby Driver)
6. UDM - $207,849,514 (2 films - King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales)
7. Geezer - $118,695,580 (3 films - Everything Everything, The Mummy, The Big Sick)
8. JohnErle - $57,707,532 (2 films - Baywatch, A Ghost Story)
9. Walleye - $31,059,370 (2 film - Megan Leavey, The House)
Spectre - first film out 7/21

7/14:
War for the Planet of the Apes (Six, 2nd round)
Wish Upon (Geezer, 11th round)

7/21:
Dunkirk (Spectre, 2nd round)
Valerian and the Land of a Thousand Planets (Chien, 5th round)
Girls Trip (JohnErle, 6th round)

7/28:
The Emoji Movie (W, 3rd round)
Atomic Blonde (UDM, 7th round)
An Inconvenient Sequel (Walleye, 11th round)

8/4:
The Dark Tower (aquamann, 3rd round)
Detroit (Shaan, 7th round)
Kidnap (JohnErle, 15th round)

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

So after Spectre finally joins the game I'm predicting last place for me until at least November. Ouch.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

On the bright side, Dunkirk's only tracking at $35 million opening weekend (I think it will be lower, even with the 125 70mm prints circulating).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Dunkirk will do just fine. Look at the breakout movies so far and pretty much every one of them is super high quality. Audiences are being selective with their dollars which is why all the low rated sequel trash is bombing. Early word about Dunkirk is fantastic and they've actually moved their embargo date up to this Friday which will give them a full week of reviews buzz. I'm expecting it to outperform (even given the subject matter).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I see it beating a 35m opening. The real draw to a film like this will be an older audience, who have had very little this sumnmer, outside of indies like The Beguiled and Beatriz at Dinner.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Yeah, I think Dunkirk hits 200 million. I'm biased, I'll admit, but I think it looks like one of the best movies of the summer. Should even get a few Oscar nominations when all is said and done.

On that note - what are the odds we get Oscar noms for Logan, Big Sick, Dunkirk, and a few other First half movies? When's the last time that happened?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Walleye413 wrote:Yeah, I think Dunkirk hits 200 million. I'm biased, I'll admit, but I think it looks like one of the best movies of the summer. Should even get a few Oscar nominations when all is said and done.

On that note - what are the odds we get Oscar noms for Logan, Big Sick, Dunkirk, and a few other First half movies? When's the last time that happened?
Noms for first half movies are not that unusual. Wins are seldom. The Best Animated Film is a prime example. Zootopia was released in March, and it won. I'm not sure if LEGO Batman, Cars 3, Captain Underpants, or Despicable Me 3 will earn nominations in that category, but we'll see.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Walleye413 wrote:Yeah, I think Dunkirk hits 200 million. I'm biased, I'll admit, but I think it looks like one of the best movies of the summer. Should even get a few Oscar nominations when all is said and done.

Very unlikely for Logan. Maybe for Dunkirk, but Nolan doesn't have a good reputation with the Academy. The Big Sick is a front-runner for a nom at this rate, but there are a lot of contenders coming out in the second half.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't see any way Dunkirk hits $200 M domestically. The only WWII film to do it was Saving Private Ryan, which was absolutely huge at the time. Also Pearl Harbor almost did, but it had recognizable leads and was Titanic-ized. Anything over $120 M would put it in fourth under those two and the first Cap. I think it'll hit $150 M.

It's probably on the top of my list for the rest of summer, but it'll do much better overseas.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The problem with Dunkirk is that it's a European story made for American audiences. How many Americans are familiar with what happened at Dunkirk? It's going to play in the big cities but there's no audience for this in middle America. In addition, it's a shorter than usual film for Nolan (final run time is 106 minutes, Nolan's last several films ran over two and a half hours and audiences typically want longer product) and Cillian Murphy, an actor who hasn't been relevant in a decade, is the lead.

I don't even think it makes $100 million.

And The Big Sick won't get any awards traction. The Academy's never liked Apatow (Knocked Up was one of the best reviewed films in 2007 but got no notice whatsoever from the awards people) and the director's Hello, My Name is Doris got ignored by the Academy though Field and Daly could have gotten a decent amount of attention.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

I'll retire from this competition if Dunkirk doesn't hit $100M. Too much overthinking going on here.

The only name they need to sell it is Nolan. It's a blockbuster on an epic scale that seems like it'll be incredibly well reviewed (and a likely Oscar contender) and is coming out in a summer where there has been next to nothing of quality for adults if you don't like superheroes. It's going to have crazy legs even if it doesn't open huge.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Spectre wrote:I'll retire from this competition if Dunkirk doesn't hit $100M. Too much overthinking going on here.

The only name they need to sell it is Nolan. It's a blockbuster on an epic scale that seems like it'll be incredibly well reviewed (and a likely Oscar contender) and is coming out in a summer where there has been next to nothing of quality for adults if you don't like superheroes. It's going to have crazy legs even if it doesn't open huge.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.
Saving Private Ryan made $216M with a July release, and it took place in Europe. And that was NINETEEN YEARS AGO.

Granted, that was an era where Spielberg was still hot, as was Tom Hanks, and Matt Damon was just becoming famous, and Dunkirk really doesn't have any household names in the cast (Hardy and Branagh, maybe, but that's it), but it's Nolan. The dude OWNS July.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Except Saving Private Ryan was told from the American perspective and involved one of the most famous battles of World War II.

Americans know very little about World War II before Pearl Harbor (other than Hitler). The rescue at Dunkirk is probably only known in the States by hardcore history buffs and it's likely not one of the first things they think about when asked about obscure World War II events. Unless you are a 70mm buff (I'm expecting half of the opening weekend gross to come from theatres showing it in 70mm) or have seen every war film in the book (or enjoyed Their Finest, which also focused on Dunkirk and whose characters ask a lot of the same questions we're asking on such a film), it's not going to be a high-priority movie. I'm expecting Girls Trip to beat it opening weekend.