2017-2018 Division B Waiver Wire

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: 2017-2018 Division B Waiver Wire

Post by Buscemi »

I'll drop An Inconvenient Sequel (which is now set to be a limited release and probably won't go wide now despite an August 4th expansion date) to take it then.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

You got it, Boosh.

I know Mel and Sean have teamed up on-screen before, but I'm totally blanking on what film that was.

ETA: My bad. Apparently this is their first time together. Hmm. Two of the more volatile film stars of the late 20th century... should be interesting.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I wanted Professor M, about the guy who created Wonder Woman (Gaston from the recent Beauty and the Beast plays him) and his BDSM obsession. Annapurna picked it up and released a trailer earlier this week.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Professor M sounds like a good movie, but I've got to completely disagree with you on dropping an Inconvenient Sequel. Especially after Trump bailed on the Paris Climate accords, I think this movie is going to be bigger than ever. It will go wide for sure, and do pretty well I'm guessing for a later round pick-up

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I get the feeling that a lot of theatres in middle America will refuse to play it. In 2006, it was groundbreaking to even suggest that climate change was true (as the Bush administration used religion to deny it). Now in 2017, climate change deniers still have an incredible amount of influence (the media still loves to claim it's all about temperature and ignore everything else) and the widest released documentaries tend to be Dinesh D'Souza propaganda films. In addition, Paramount has had some expensive bombs and in the past, they've downplayed their smaller titles to save money (last year, Everybody Wants Some!!'s wide run was canceled and Anomalisa's planned major expansion was held off for three months).

Yes, it will do well in the big cities. But I can't see it playing in the suburbs or in the smaller markets unless there is an arthouse willing to show it for a week.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Gotta agree with Walleye that if Unconvenient Sequel ever had any potential (that's another debate), now that Trump has decided to send the US back to the dark ages, it's gonna be a good publicity for the film.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

But does anyone nowadays want to be reminded of reality in their theatre? A decade ago, it was easy because you could laugh at Bush (the puppeteers handling the strings were what we were really scared of) and documentaries had long been viewed as something you only watched on PBS. The mid 2000's were a golden age for the documentary.

But now, people just want to escape (and all publicity ends up turning into good publicity for the people we hate) and the kind of audience that would go see An Inconvenient Sequel is limited to big markets and Netflix. Documentaries don't sell like they used to and environmentalism is getting mocked in the US again or simply ignored (the melting of the polar ice caps and climate marches can't even get news coverage but murderers and tax evaders and the media's love of them can). American audiences would rather not think of politics (unless it's something that glorifies the military) and just want stuff blowing up.

In addition, early word suggests it's not as good as the first. I'll be surprised if it even makes half of the first or even gets the same number of theatres. I also think the Fahrenheit 9/11 sequel bombs (besides, we already got this sequel twice and neither time was it particularly successful).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Death Wish will open wide on November 22nd. Annapurna will now distribute instead of Paramount.

Add to the wire, please.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:Death Wish will open wide on November 22nd. Annapurna will now distribute instead of Paramount.
FUCK YEAH BRUCE WILLIS GETTING OFF THE DIRECT-TO-VIDEO CIRCUIT
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I know it won't fall to me, but I'll put in a bid for Death Wish

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'll bid on Death Wish as well. If there's not a trailer or poster for The Solutrean in theatres by next week, then it's probably not coming out any time soon (and it's been finished for a while now so I don't know what's going on with it).

I'd rather have a guaranteed $20 million on Thanksgiving from a new distributor than a studio title that being treated as an afterthought.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

WTF. I can't remember any time in the history of this game that I've used the WW well, but there's a first time for everything.

I will make a bid for Death Wish and drop Friend Request and hope it doesn't blow up in my face. (Usually by this time in the season, I've already had three films postponed. Who knew??)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Looks like you won, Shryke.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Since it looks to have cleared the wire, I will take Last Flag Flying and drop The Solutrean.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Can someone update the first post with Shryke's pickup and move him down to the bottom of the wire?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife