2017-2018 Division B Waiver Wire

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: 2017-2018 Division B Waiver Wire

Post by Buscemi2 »

It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu wrote: As for next season we could always consider being able to pick a movie (any movie) that's already been released but only get the box office take from 1st May. Similar to how it is with box office champs.
That is a very interesting idea. I think it's one we should implement, as it doesn't "punish" a film with high potential just because it was released at the end of the season.

But the numbers wouldn't count until the first Friday of May, which would be May 4 (not May 1).

Further rule - the draft typically takes two weeks to complete. A previously-released film may be selected prior to the cutoff time (Friday 5:00 pm PST) in order the get that weekend's numbers. Thus, any April release drafted before May 4 may be chosen to incur its box office total from that weekend on. If an April film is not chosen before May 4, it may still be drafted, but if it is drafted past the cutoff time then the incurred box office numbers will not begin until the following Friday (May 11).
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'm on board with that rule change. That's a completely fair compromise that would allow Infinity War to be the factor it was supposed to be in next year's game before those bastards at Marvel fucked with us.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

transformers2 wrote:I'm on board with that rule change. That's a completely fair compromise that would allow Infinity War to be the factor it was supposed to be in next year's game before those bastards at Marvel fucked with us.
My thoughts exactly. Infinity War may pull $250-270M in its first seven days, which would leave anywhere from a further $250-$350M still on the table. This might knock it out of the #1 position in the draft, but still Top 5 for sure. (Maybe it'll even fall to me, who will be picking 3rd or 4th if the numbers hold.)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Age of Ultron made over half its final domestic total on opening weekend and finished with $459 million. It's ridiculous to think that this one will play like the first one did.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

In some ways I like the compromise because you end up with a movie making 250-350 million instead of 500 million plus. There's always a few of those, of course, and it doesn't guarantee a win, but speaking as a guy who drafted 9th, those first few movies can seem pretty impossible to overcome. You need something crazy to happen, like a Black Panther to drop to the second round or something. Oh, wait.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:Age of Ultron made over half its final domestic total on opening weekend and finished with $459 million. It's ridiculous to think that this one will play like the first one did.
Strongly disagree. This is a team-up movie on steroids thanks to addition of the Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, secondary Black Panther characters, etc. to the fold plus it's the first part of the grand finale of this wave of Marvel films. I'll be stunned if it doesn't make at least $550 mil.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

transformers2 wrote: Strongly disagree. This is a team-up movie on steroids thanks to addition of the Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, secondary Black Panther characters, etc. to the fold plus it's the first part of the grand finale of this wave of Marvel films. I'll be stunned if it doesn't make at least $550 mil.
I'm with you there. Just like all the pre-Avengers movies led up to that, everything since then has led up to this.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Also Age Of Ultron sucked. so unless Infinity War is as bad. It should have a better hold.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think Infinity War will benefit from Black Panther, and hold a bit better.

That said, Wonder Woman didn't help Justice League any, so perhaps it does need to be good.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Justice League was a disaster, pure and simple. It was rushed to release (Warner Bros. should have moved Ready Player One up to Thanksgiving and pushed this one to March), there were too many cooks in the kitchen, and what Joss Whedon did to The Flash was unforgivable. But at least it was more watchable than Inhumans (the MCU film that even the biggest diehards ignored).

And I don't even think Infinity War will be that great of a film either. The Russo Brothers are TV hacks who got lucky with the Captain America sequels and the fact that they are stuffing over 60 Marvel characters into the film suggests overkill.

But of course, it will get a pass because it's Marvel.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Probably not allowed but what the hell, can I drop all my non-dated movies for all the movies on the wire? Doubt anyone really wants them, it just feels like a waste to leave so many empty slots on my slate!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote:Probably not allowed but what the hell, can I drop all my non-dated movies for all the movies on the wire? Doubt anyone really wants them, it just feels like a waste to leave so many empty slots on my slate!

They're all available, and all more than two weeks out, so, yes, you can have them. It'd be ironic if these five movies elevated your final standing!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

You Were Never Really Here should be worth a few million. I saw the trailer a few days back and it looks like a breath of fresh air in the stagnant indie scene.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I'll replace Overboard with anything that's left. Is Dolphins available?