2017-18 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

jas8382
Jason Voorhees

Re: 2017-18 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

Post by jas8382 »

Since the pickings are few, why not swing for the fences with something crazy and that's why I am picking Creed 2.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I gotta admit, every year Banks knows how to innovate to surprise us at the end of the draft. Last year's gamble didn't pay off, will it this year ?
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Buscemi selects An Inconvenient Sequel

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Victoria and Abdul

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Oh good Surfer, you got my pick in. Internet was out all night (except on my phone) and I couldn't get it in myself. I was pretty peeved about getting sniped on Call Me by Your Name (I expect big things on this one) but An Inconvenient Sequel is a good 15th round pick too if Paramount keeps its wide plans.

And the Bright pick puzzles me. Netflix doesn't report box office and they've only ever gotten three chains to play their movies (Landmark, Arclight, iPic). In addition, Reed Hastings recently pissed off Tim League of Drafthouse with his comments on film exhibition. In short, the film will not be $90 million well spent. Besides, it's about elf cops. It's going to be lucky to get five theatres, let alone 3,000.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

RE: Super Troopers 2
Yes Ron, but filming has been pushed a few times. It was supposed to begin production in late 2015 but never did. Apparently, filming finally started late last year.
It's actually finished filming already.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ugh. Scraping the barrel here. I'll take Friend Request.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Damn right, that's scraping the barrel. You can already import a region free Blu-ray of that one from the UK. That's how long it's been sitting on the shelf.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'll wrap my draft up by taking Patti Cake$ and Felt from the scrap heap
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi wrote: And the Bright pick puzzles me. Netflix doesn't report box office and they've only ever gotten three chains to play their movies (Landmark, Arclight, iPic). In addition, Reed Hastings recently pissed off Tim League of Drafthouse with his comments on film exhibition. In short, the film will not be $90 million well spent. Besides, it's about elf cops. It's going to be lucky to get five theatres, let alone 3,000.
They tried to distribute themselves previously, while also going day and date with their streaming platform. That's why it didn't work. They're looking for a distribution partner (much like Amazon/Lionsgate), and I'm guessing they've learned nobody will work with them if they continue the day-and-date strategy. So they'll drop that completely.

The fantasy aspect doesn't excite me, but it's still a Will Smith movie with a major push and prime holiday release date. Even if it completely bombs (Collateral Beauty), that's still $30M+. But if it does become the first film in a partnership between Netflix and (company), it should be good for $50M.

Also, Drafthouse has like 5 theaters in the entire country. They're irrelevant.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Drafthouse has way more than five theatres. In fact, they are getting bigger by franchising the brand. They pretty much have Texas in its grasp and they will only become larger as other companies copy its model (if they're irrevelant, then why did AMC basically rip off Drafthouse with its Fork & Screen concept?).

And no distributor is going to want Bright, especially with Netflix's insistence on opening for Christmas. Who is going to want to see a Max Landis-scripted movie about elves in the future when you have Star Wars, Jumanji, Pitch Perfect, new films from Spielberg, Alexander Payne, and Paul Thomas Anderson, The Greatest Showman on Earth, and a Tesla-themed film with Benedict Cumberbatch? The only person who thinks this will play is also the guy who financed it. Reed Hastings is nothing more than a delusional billionaire who thinks a little too highly of himself. And the Cannes thing is proof that no one wants to play ball with him unless he can learn to follow the rules. And I'm afraid he'll never learn unless Netflix begins to lose money.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

There's no such thing as a bad pick in the last few rounds of the draft. We're all rolling the dice on TBA and shitty indie films at this point, so as far as I'm concerned, a Will Smith-led Netflix project is the highest upside gamble you could possibly make at this poop-infested juncture.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'm calling it a bad pick because it's 95% likely that it won't report box office. But why am I arguing with someone who thought Warner Bros. would pit Wonder Woman (I still can't believe that pick was allowed) against Beauty and the Beast because they didn't like Charlie Hunnam?

And you can still find stuff in the 16th. Last year, I picked Hell or High Water there.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Based on history, you're actually more likely to drop a film that you take in the last 4 rounds of the draft than you are to keep it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking a long shot. Better to take a shot and know you need to replace it than to take a low upside limited release that you find out is a miss only after it comes out and never goes wide...

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Spectre wrote:Based on history, you're actually more likely to drop a film that you take in the last 4 rounds of the draft than you are to keep it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking a long shot. Better to take a shot and know you need to replace it than to take a low upside limited release that you find out is a miss only after it comes out and never goes wide...
100% agree with this. Occasionally you'll find a late gem that sticks, but this stage of the draft is mostly for fliers that can easily be dumped