2017-18 Full Year Draft Thread (Division A)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: 2017-18 Full Year Draft Thread (Division A)

Post by W »

There's a couple I want to go with, but with PIXAR on the board I have to take Cars 3.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I"m having such a hard time picking.... I had it narrowed down to 2 already, but then i went back and started from scratch.

For the past 2 years there's usually been 1 movie to make bank against Star Wars. One was a comedy and one was aq musical, so I'm hoping the combined power of both will help. Pitch Perfect 3.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Pick before my bedtime John... ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

If you want to Chien, you can leave a 2 pick list with me since you'll pick again before I get up to bat (have I said I hate the 10 spot yet?)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I've still got at least a couple of hours ahead of me, but I'll leave a list if John hasn't shown up in the meantime.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Aquamann2001
Fletch

Post by Aquamann2001 »

Not looking like It's gonna make it back to me today. Always so disappointing when you refresh the page all day and no picks are made.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

John's doing an intensive course, I believe, so may be a little delayed. I've FB messaged him. Still, we're moving pretty fast already.

And no real surprise picks so far into the draft. I though Transformers 5 would be snapped up earlier, but guess we all see it's probably not gonna go high. I feel the same about Pirates 5, though. But Pitch Perfect 3 is a great pick - I was hoping it would fall to me. The only film I'm not so sure on is The Star, which I expect to hit around $100m rather than the $150m + we all need to be hitting in round 2.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'll take Kingsman: The Golden Circle.

FYI, the course is over, but I've had basically zero time for research, so my picks will probably be a little slower than usual this year.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Let me aid you, John. For your next few picks I'd go for The Dinner, Generation Iron 2, The B-Side: Elsa Dorfman's Portrait Photography. Guaranteed dollars!

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Kingsman was my choice for the next best pick so your research is solid with me!

But Six has some good suggestions too :)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I'd be surprised if Pitch Perfect 3 opened for Christmas. It's been pushed back once already and the insanely crowded Christmas season would hurt its box office potential. However, there's no way The Six Billion Dollar Man will be ready in time (in fact, I expect Weinstein to sell its interest back to Universal).

And I think The Star will bomb. Religious films are hardly ever successful so why would a big-budget, kid-friendly religious film (produced by Jim Henson's children, oddly enough) do well?

Lastly, I think Kingsman gets pushed as the script was still being worked on during filming. Also, the first seemed like lightning in a bottle (it opened against Fifty Shades of Grey, of course it was going to be a hit) and I get the idea people will finally catch onto Mark Millar's shortcomings as a creator of worlds.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well, I thought someone might have grabbed it before my 2nd pick arrived, but it's not been taken. It's not the safest 2nd round pick there is, but it's definitely one with big, big potential, having Guardians in the bag already, let's grab Ready Player One now.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Kingsman and Ready Player One are the ones I wanted to take, but PUXAR is so safe and it's easy to see them moving Ready Player One to summer. I said that about Beauty and the Beast last year, though.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

They seemed like the two obvious picks at this point, but RP1 has a much higher chance of getting pushed to the summer, so I went with Kingsman.

And for the record, I vote no on the Oscar bonus thing. It's way too late to propose rule changes, and any Oscar bump should be reflected in the box office totals anyway.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

I would've loved to take Ready Player One but I can't survive it moving and I could definitely see that happening. Hopefully for your sake it stays put.