2016-17 Full Year Draft Thread (Division A)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Re: 2016-17 Full Year Draft Thread (Division A)

Post by Brockster »

The only animated movies I can even remember coming out around Christmas are the Alvin and the chipmunk movies...most come out in November

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Ugh, I picked this morning to move the draft along while HSX was down, didn't have time to look so far ahead into next year. I still would have taken Dr. Strange, but I would have went with Beauty and the Beast over Star Trek. Still think Star Trek can safely get to 200 million, but I think Beauty and Beast will be huge. Much like Jungle Book this year.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Perfect comp for B&B...will probably clear just over 200M before the cutoff

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Walleye413 wrote:I'm just disappointed because you picked a movie that's going to come out in 45 days! How can you backload now!
Ha! I assume this is aimed at me!! I honestly never have great intentions of backloading, just that whenever I want to pick a great summer movie, someone jumps in just before leaving me pondering something else. Would have loved either Fast 8 or Beauty and the Beast, both feel like the last very strong chance of at least $250m. From then on, everything is based on potential or just a safe $150m-ish movie, a big drop off what came before. Feel like I will have a lot of ground to make up already, so have to keep the rest of my picks smart.

Spectre
Borat

Post by Spectre »

I'm going to take a gamble here and go with The Wolverine 3. Could be a dud like the last installment but has the potential to do really well. Supposedly it's going for an R rating which would open up new possibilities and it's Jackman's last run as the character which could make it special. Maybe they'll even throw a Deadpool cameo in there. Of course, it could also move to the summer and kill my slate instantaneously but hopefully Fox realizes the potential of opening early in the year where competition is scarce. If it even stays on the date, its floor alone should make it good enough in the 3rd round.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Phew. Glad you took that, because I was considering and I didn't want to at all.

My pick will be here in a couple minutes.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I was really wanting all the mutants on my slate. jackmans last turn as wolverine could be big

Spectre
Borat

Post by Spectre »

undeadmonkey wrote:I was really wanting all the mutants on my slate. jackmans last turn as wolverine could be big
Hopefully. The R rating will be key if Fox wants to bring in all the Wolverine fans sick of the whitewashed version.

It was either take this and risk a date change or take something I felt had a much lower floor... and after passing Deadpool last year for the same reason, I figured what the hell?

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

It's got a floor of $100M, where you see such disappointments as Get Hard. But The Rock is The Rock and he and Kevin Hart are the masters of promotion right now. After Suicide Squad, this is WB's biggest movie of the summer and I think they'll pump it up and it'll play over the 4th very well.

Central Intelligence

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Brockster was here a few minutes ago. I really should go to bed but want to hang around a few minutes in case he returns. If not I will send a list to a B leaguer. Anyone around next few hours?

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

silversurfer19 wrote:Brockster was here a few minutes ago. I really should go to bed but want to hang around a few minutes in case he returns. If not I will send a list to a B leaguer. Anyone around next few hours?
Not B League, but you can send me your next 2 if you want. They won't be around when my turn is up anyhow.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I will choose Patriots Day

Aquamann2001
Fletch

Post by Aquamann2001 »

Funny the last 2 picks were the 2 movies I was debating between. Ultimately the fact that wolverine hasn't started filming and that Jackman wants it to be perfect as its his last turn as the character scared me away. Not worth the risk of it being moved out of the contest time period. If it is released in time, it will hit 200 mil for sure. Central intelligence I considered safe and the fact that it's directed by the guy who did we're the millers is appealing. I just can't see it doing much more than 130 mil and I have sing projected for 150 mil or higher.

Spectre
Borat

Post by Spectre »

Aquamann2001 wrote:Funny the last 2 picks were the 2 movies I was debating between. Ultimately the fact that wolverine hasn't started filming and that Jackman wants it to be perfect as its his last turn as the character scared me away. Not worth the risk of it being moved out of the contest time period. If it is released in time, it will hit 200 mil for sure. Central intelligence I considered safe and the fact that it's directed by the guy who did we're the millers is appealing. I just can't see it doing much more than 130 mil and I have sing projected for 150 mil or higher.
http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/20 ... leans.html

Apparently since that article came out, per the link in the link, it has entered production in New Orleans, set to wrap August 19th. I figured that gives it enough time to hit the date... hopefully. Risky for sure though.
Last edited by Spectre on May 2nd, 2016, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Wow, didn't think Patriots Day would go this round. Really was tempted by it, think it's upside is one of the highest left, but thought it a little early when so many more bankable movies are available.

Been thinking over three movies for a little while now, and still not sure which is the best choice. Two of them have absolute ceilings of $150m, and are probably the safer picks, while the other could fall flat on it's face due to competition, though it's upside much greater. I think neither of the two I leave will be available next time around, so it's a straight choice. And, after much faffing, including editing this post as I write, I'm gonna go with an adaptation of my favourite book by my favourite author from when I was a kid. And it's got Spielberg directing it. It's gonna be brilliant, so hopefully it won't get swallowed up by the competition.

The BFG