2016-17 Full Year Draft Thread (Division A)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: 2016-17 Full Year Draft Thread (Division A)

Post by JohnErle »

Damn. I was hoping Beauty And The Beast would somehow fall to me in round 2, but with Mr. Backloaded Slate now in Division A that was probably too much to hope for.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

It wouldn't have gotten past me either John. That was my pipedream 2nd round pick. SOMEONE needs to reach at some point, I want a value pick for my 2nd! Right now, the first 14 picks are all in my top 15. Not cool.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

FF8: It freaks me out when something is that close to the end of the season. One mistake could force a move and even a slight move is extremely dangerous. I don't remember a giant tentpole biting anyone in the last couple of years, though.

Trek: The last one had some buzz and clocked out around $200 M. This one seems to have zero buzz.

Strange: I have no clue how this will perform. If I had to guess, I'd say closer to Ant-Man because some people will be put off by the mysticism, lower tiered Marvel character, and I'm not sure that Cumberbatch is a huge draw in America yet.

X-Men, ID5: I think X-Men is the better pick. ID4 may be one of my top ten favorites, but I'm starting to think ID5 won't hit $200 M.

LEGO Batman: Love the pick here.

Suicide Squad is clearly the #5 pick for me.

Dory/Beasts are clearly 3-4 one way or the other for me (I probably would have went Dory as well).

Rogue One and Cap are clearly 1-2 for me (I may have swapped them. There's so much more buzz for Cap 3 than I remember last year with Ultron.)
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

W wrote:FF8: It freaks me out when something is that close to the end of the season. One mistake could force a move and even a slight move is extremely dangerous. I don't remember a giant tentpole biting anyone in the last couple of years, though.
I know, me too. I would have preferred Beauty & the Beast, it was safer, but Fast 8 available in round 2, it didn't make sense to me to pick something that might have a shot at $200M while I had this film winking at me with the possibility to flirt with $300M. The previous one was just shy of $300M after 3 weekends.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

April's more or less turned into the Fast and Furious month. It seems more like movies are moving away from it than anything. And even though F. Gary Gray likes to take his time, I think Fast 8 makes its date.

As for Doctor Strange, it will make money solely on the Marvel brand name. And it should douche the competition on opening weekend (an in-name-only Trolls adaptation and an Ed Helms starrer).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Chienfantome wrote:Well UDM, you make the task easy for me. I was consdering two films for my #2 pick and Beauty and the Beast was one of them.

Therefore, here's one I wouldn't have taken in round 1 because it only has 3 weekends for itself, but I'll gladly take it as my #2 film because it's good for at least $200M in those 3 weekends. And hey, they could even move it up a week or two if Universal was smart.
Fast & Furious 8 for me.
Is everyone else insane? I thought this was a lock for a Top 5 pick, does nobody remember that Fast 7 made $294M in 3 weekends? Even without the pull of the last Paul Walker appearance and how they would handle it, Fast 6 and Fast 5 both pulled in about $200M in 3 weekends.

I would've taken it at the 5th pick personally if I had the chance.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Fuck me, I completely forgot Fast 8 was coming out next April. That Secret Life of Pets pick is looking worse all the time :cry:
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I was also debating Fast 8, I just hate that it's so late in the game and it really is early enough for them to move it.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

transformers2 wrote:Fuck me, I completely forgot Fast 8 was coming out next April. That Secret Life of Pets pick is looking worse all the time :cry:
When it does Zootopia numbers you'll have no regrets. Fast 8 will probably dip back down to $200 max in April. Paul Walker can only die once.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

All my top choices have hust gone, so guess I will hope to match the previous movie and go with:

TMNT: Out Of The Shadows

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Paul Walker can only die once.[/quote]

Ouch :)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Furious 7 wasn't just a hit because of it being Paul Walker's last film. It was a hit because it was a film that appealed to almost every demographic possible. It wasn't one of the biggest films of all-time worldwide (sixth biggest at last glance) for nothing.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I am going to pick Passengers

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Well since Brockster likes to steal my picks right out from under me...

Kong: Skull Island

If Godzilla can make $200 with summer competition, here's hoping it's spiritual brother can do the same with little demographic competition in March. Plus, here's hoping they tease the upcoming Godzilla vs. King Kong to boost box office.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Brockster wrote:I am going to pick Passengers

NOOoooo, I want it so bad.

as for the TNMT pick, The first did well in August so an earlier summer slot bodes well for it, but I still think there other picks that will definitely make more