2015-2016 Division A Waiver Wire

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: 2015-2016 Division A Waiver Wire

Post by Geezer »

I'll claim Greek Wedding 2, drop Underdogs
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

New titles to add to the wire:

Hell and Back (9/25/2015)
My All-American (10/9/2015)
Tumbledown (2/12/2016)
Suite Francaise (TBA 2015)

And Freeheld is opening 10/2/2015 with a wide expansion on 10/16/2015.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Aquamann2001
Fletch

Post by Aquamann2001 »

Add Youth to the waiver wire please. Not claiming it just want it added

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Add The Green Inferno to the wire. Universal picked it up and will open on 9/25/2015.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'm going to drop Self/Less and pick up Keanu.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Like Keanu Reeves? Do you get all the money any of his movies make this year?

Ooh, I'm liking this wrinkle. That would be an interesting draft - actors instead of movies. But you'd have to cap it to leads or something to make it work.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Keanu Reeves has no connection to Keanu (yet). The title refers to a cat.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I still need to replace Beverly Hills Cop, so I'm going to add Green Inferno for now (and hope something better comes along later :) )

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Got it, noted on front page.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Sony announced they'll be bring Patient Zero to Comic-Con, so I'm adding it to the wire. Still without a date, it's expected to be released before next summer.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Added I Saw The Light with its new date

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

I'm going to drop Before I Wake. With Relativity pushing Masterminds back because of their funding issues (from a great slot to a horrible one I might add), I can't even imagine what's going to happen to this. Either it's going to get promoted very poorly or get bumped/sold. I don't feel like getting stuck holding the bag. Relativity is in it up to their eyeballs.

I think I'll plug my nose and pick up Fifty Shades of Black until I can find something better. I hate bad spoof movies with a passion but Fifty Shades of Grey is pretty much asking to be spoofed so there's actually potential here to be funny. This will probably stink to high heaven but between the subject matter and Marlon Wayans, hopefully it can avoid bombing.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I've still got a couple of Relativity titles, and I'm hanging on to them for the time being. All those stories on Deadline are troubling, even though I haven't had time to read them in any detail, but I don't see anything better on the waiver wire either. If Relativity gets their house in order, or auctions off those titles to another mini-major, Kidnap and The Disappointments Room should both be good for an easy 30-50 million.

It's funny to see them in such financial trouble since they've been in the top 10 of all distributors for the past few years, and they generate way more revenue than most mini-majors, but I guess they've been spending way too much money on the titles they've released instead of seeing them as the mid-level hits they were destined to be.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

JohnErle wrote:I've still got a couple of Relativity titles, and I'm hanging on to them for the time being. All those stories on Deadline are troubling, even though I haven't had time to read them in any detail, but I don't see anything better on the waiver wire either. If Relativity gets their house in order, or auctions off those titles to another mini-major, Kidnap and The Disappointments Room should both be good for an easy 30-50 million.
I held onto it as long as I felt comfortable but I read all those Deadline articles and others on top of it and it doesn't sound good. Based on what I've read, everything they're looking at is a band-aid solution at best. Masterminds was their best bet at making money and they moved it from a great summer slot to a super crowded fall one because they don't have the funds to advertise it. If they can't even fund that, are they even going to bother pushing their lesser releases like Before I Wake?

Here's another red flag. In April they moved Before I Wake into The Disappointment Room's September 25th slot. They moved Masterminds to October 9th... that's Kidnap's slot. There's no way in hell they're going to release 4 of their own films on the same 2 days but there they are, just sitting there.

Makes me think a bunch of their portfolio is either headed for the shelf/auction or at the very least they'll get pushed back... but there isn't much room left on the calendar in 2015 after that for a mid-level release unless they want to see it get swallowed up during the holidays. So now I'm thinking it's possible we might not see these movies until 2016 and who knows if the financial band-aid falls off by then?

I just decided that if I'm going to be picking between a couple low upside films, I may as well go with the one I'm confident will get released haha.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Added 90 Minutes In Heaven and Sleeping With Other People