2015-16 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

empire13
Clark Griswald

Re: 2015-16 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

Post by empire13 »

weissac wrote:I'm going with Inside Out - though I seem to remember this as Herman's Head.
HA! YES!!

Last edited by empire13 on April 26th, 2015, 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I loved that show! It had two Simpsons cast members in it - Hank Azaria and Yeardley Smith.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Anyone have weissac's contact info?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Been debating this one, and although I know there's lots of back scenes drama, the last 2 years we've seen Huge Animated success in November. So I'm banking on Disney/Pixar coming through - The Good Dinosaur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

November/December looks crowded for animated movies with The Good Dinosaur sandwiched between Peanuts and Alvin, but I think the premise is strong enough to hold it's own. Everyone loves dinosaurs, the animation looks like something that would be successful, and as you say November has proved a good time to release animations with the Holiday period helping box office. Should be a good pick.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Tomorrowland and Ant-Man. You really cannot bet against that big monolith named Disney this year.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Back to me already. Gotta go with the Sequel fever, and the idea of Tom Cruise hanging off a Plane bringing in 200 million+ Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Honestly, for late round picks, I'm pretty happy.

Boosh, my kids are hacking on me for not taking Ant-man. If it's this years GOTG you're a genius.

weissac
Private Pyle

Post by weissac »

Mad Max: Fury Road

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Woah, woah, woah! Mad Max already! Man, that is a shock. It looks fun, but it's appeal has surely to be limited, and with being R rated I'm not even convinced it will break $100m. Good luck though. As for Ant Man and Tomorrowland, both should be solid, though I can't see either breaking over the $250m that I think is necessary to keep in touch with the rest of the pack.

What do I know though, I was terrible at this last year!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Walleye413 wrote:
Boosh, my kids are hacking on me for not taking Ant-man. If it's this years GOTG you're a genius.
I still can't see myself topping getting American Sniper in the 13th last year (sorry I had to bring it up again). I will never believe how well it did (or how my only logic for taking it was "it's Eastwood and it's filming right now so it will be out for Christmas").

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Choices are getting tougher as we go.

I think I'm gonna latch onto the Marvel Bandwagon and take Fantastic Four. With luck and a good marketing platform, it could own August.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Very decent pick, and I agree with all your feelings on Fantastic Four. I'm getting a TMNT vibe to it, without the film being terrible.

Certainly a diminishing number of box office certainties now, gonna have to think long and hard on my next pick. I'm heading off to bed though now, but should be up in 6 hours or so, so if for whatever reason it is my go, I'll be ready to go shortly afterwards.

weissac
Private Pyle

Post by weissac »

silversurfer19 wrote:Woah, woah, woah! Mad Max already! Man, that is a shock. It looks fun, but it's appeal has surely to be limited, and with being R rated I'm not even convinced it will break $100m. Good luck though. As for Ant Man and Tomorrowland, both should be solid, though I can't see either breaking over the $250m that I think is necessary to keep in touch with the rest of the pack.

What do I know though, I was terrible at this last year!
Very valid points. Truth is, my spreadsheet told me Fantastic4 should have been my pick. I just wasn't feeling it (or the 8 others I had ranked above Mad Max).

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Obviously I was debating between minions, Jurassic world, and inside out but I just could not decide. They all have potential but they could all fail too. If minions would have been a straight up sequel I would have taken it in a heartbeat but it's not. It's a spin-off and yes they are popular but gru and the girls were a huge part of the success as well.

Really surprised at some of the picks made. Mad max looks like a crazy ride but I doubt many people will get on. Ant man could be a nice pick but it almost seems as an afterthought to the 'phase 2 marvel thing'. Though that might be a good thing, distancing itself from the mcu, it helped gotg. $150 is the ceiling for fanatic four. Tomorrowland is a huge question mark, plus it also seems like an afterthought to Disney in the year of avengers and star wars.

I'm going to pick Ted 2 even if it makes less than the first it could still easily make $200M

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Tomorrowland is the first high-profile movie after Age of Ultron and the trailer will likely be on all prints (Ant-Man's final trailer will probably be on all prints also). There's going to be a lot of exposure in the next few weeks. Also, Disney hasn't had a tentpole movie in late May flop since Prince of Persia in 2010.

I'm getting a Maleficent vibe with Tomorrowland: weak trailers and low-profile but it sticks around because of the Disney "you have to see this" marketing machine. And it's the only movie in May for the whole family.

And Ant-Man is assured to be a hit just because of the Marvel name. It already has $200 million in the bank on that alone (and probably more as it's not getting the backlash, from both fans and Marvel themselves, that Fantastic Four's gotten).