2015-16 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Walleye413
Marv

Re: 2015-16 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

Post by Walleye413 »

silversurfer19 wrote:Ha, ha, very true, I think whichever of the next four or five could quite easily do you very well. I'd doubt any would underperform to the levels of HTTYD2 though.
Exactly what I'm thinking/hoping since my first pick is still too far away. But I see the dilemma If you get luck here you can get a $300 million movie. If not, and you end up with $180, that's a big hole to dig out of.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i just literally eeny meeny miny mo'd it...... Jurassic World

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think Spectre has a good chance of coming close to Skyfall. Same team, marketing is smart (if a little excessive). I don't think there's much competition unless The Martian becomes a monster, but even still I think Bond skews a little older. That said, if I was in Ron's position I probably wouldn't have picked it. Would have picked something else instead. So come on UDM! ;)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Tough call, UDM, but definitely not a bad choice. I'm glad I'm not drafting in your position. It's true animation can underperform but at least one has to do well this summer, right? Jurassic World has potential but I could also see it making only 200m too.

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

In my opinion, you've got at least 3 other films that are going to outgross Jurassic World, but I'm not high on it to begin with, so what do I know. Good luck.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Exactly what I'm thinking/hoping since my first pick is still too far away. But I see the dilemma If you get luck here you can get a $300 million movie. If not, and you end up with $180, that's a big hole to dig out of.
Absolutely. I went with the potential last year, hoping to strike gold with Interstellar while dismissing the more bankable Godzilla, Apes, Big Hero 6 and goddamn Guardians, and look where it landed me. In the basement! Keep it solid first couple of rounds I think.

Hence me taking the totally safe Batman vs Superman with it's late schedule!

Anyway, Jurassic World? At first I was very high on it, with it being a four quadrant movie that holds so much nostalgia, almost as much as Star Wars. But then I saw the trailer and it looks so ho-hum. Should still be good for $220m, but much more? Not so sure. Can't believe a certain movie is still available!

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

I have a feeling "a certain movie" is going to go next... but if not, I have a feeling we'll be able to hear Shryke cheering through the computer.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Spectre wrote:I have a feeling "a certain movie" is going to go next... but if not, I have a feeling we'll be able to hear Shryke cheering through the computer.
It's only a shame you didn't get to pick the Bond movie. Would be an appropriate fit ;)

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

numbersix wrote:
Spectre wrote:I have a feeling "a certain movie" is going to go next... but if not, I have a feeling we'll be able to hear Shryke cheering through the computer.
It's only a shame you didn't get to pick the Bond movie. Would be an appropriate fit ;)
Don't jinx it yet, you never know! (It's gone in this league but not the other :P)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ahhh, just realised you're in the A draft. Looking down on us losers. Hope you get it!

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Off to go watch my kids in Seussical. Hopefully I'll return to my turn, and the movie I'm hoping keeps falling to me.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Guys, if you could use the Bold and increase the size of your titles to Large, it would be awesome. Make it easier for me to see and record them.

Hmm. I'm torn. Pixar's latest looks like gold, as it looks like an original idea, tugging at the heartsrings, great family film. And, their first non-sequel since Brave.

But I have to hearken back to a few years ago when I came in last place, where every film I picked was a complete dud EXCEPT my #1 pick, Despicable Me 2.

The movie sucked, but there is no bigger marketing and merchandising cash cow at the moment than the Minions. The little fuckers are EVERYWHERE.

I have to believe that Inside Out will do very well, but there is literally nothing really super-little-kid friendly in late summer as Minions. It will DESTROY at the box office. I'm hoping at least $350M.

So I pick:

Minions.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

Now you're talking. This is MY obvious choice in the 5th spot.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

weissac
Private Pyle

Post by weissac »

I'm going with Inside Out - though I seem to remember this as Herman's Head.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yup, I would have probably picked Minions above Spectre or Jurassic World. Kids love the minions, and the Despicable Me movies perform so well. Got a good release date too, with only Pixels being the upcoming competition, and that will skew older due to the nostalgia factor.

And Inside Out would be my next pick too.