2015-16 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: 2015-16 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

Post by Ron Burgundy »

The Danish Girl
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And for my last pick, I'm going to pick up Derek Cianfrance's latest film

The Light Between Oceans

Wrapped, has a studio, based on a popular novel, so let's see if the director can beat his last film's BO intake.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Been going back and forth over a couple of movies, but think I will go with Gus Van Sant's Cannes and Oscar hope The Sea Of Trees and hope McConaughey can strike BO gold.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

It was literally between that and The Light Between Oceans for me, Surf. Sea has a more high-profile lead, but Light already has a distributor (Dreamworks/Touchstone).

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Bronze

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Let's see if they can get Super Troopers 2 out before May.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And thus ends Division B's 2015-2016 Full Year Draft.

Well done, guys. Good luck in crawling out of the gutter to that golder tower that is Division A

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

and now let the slate bashing... oops I meant comparisons, begin. My slate is obviously the best, Avengers is falling fast and Star Wars is going to FLOP!!!

(oooh I think I should find that craziest predictions thread) :lol: :D

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Out of the last few rounds I thought the best picks were The Bronze (could be a minor comedy hit), Sea of Trees (unless Van Sant gets all pretentious), The Forest (early Jan horrors tend to make over 20m, though it has competition with a possible Blumhouse release), No escape (maybe it's me but this actually looks okay), and The Accountant.

How does everyone feel about their slates?

I'm relatively happy with mine. Taking Silence in R4 was a risk. I could have waited a few more rounds but worried Ron B was going to nab it so panicked. At least it has wrapped and hopefully Paramount will want to push it for Awards Season, considering they've nothing else in contention at this stage.

Besides that I tried to learn from my mistakes last year. I avoided taking too many films with 2016 release dates, as well as taking on too many horror films. The reason being both have higher risks of being pushed back, as I learned the hard way last year when 4 or 5 of my drafted films got pushed. I avoided having too many films without release dates (two, Love the Coopers and The Choice, don't officially have dates on BOM but seem locked), totally avoided religious films, and tried to aim for safer bets in the mid-level range with the hope that one or two will break out. It's going to be tough to beat someone with Star Wars, but it's all about making it to Division A.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The Bronze got awful reviews at Sundance and its lead is even more obscure than Amy Schumer. It could be another Desert Dancer for Relativity and fail to go past its initial run.

I tried to avoid religious films but God's Not Dead 2 was too tempting to pass up. If that makes even half of the first's total, it will have been a good pick.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I didn't even know God's not Dead 2 existed (until you picked it obviously)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Plans for a sequel had been announced last year but it wasn't dated until last month. The producers also have a war movie opening in July that looks really, really bad.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

numbersix wrote:I'm relatively happy with mine. Taking Silence in R4 was a risk. I could have waited a few more rounds but worried Ron B was going to nab it so panicked. At least it has wrapped and hopefully Paramount will want to push it for Awards Season, considering they've nothing else in contention at this stage.
That's what made me decide to grab it (although it lasted forever in the A league). Paramount doesn't really have anything for awards season on their slate and they originally acquired Silence with the target of the 2016 Oscars. I could see them pushing Scorsese to get it finished by the end of the year and honestly, he has plenty of time to do it even given how he works. It's going to be agonizing waiting it out though...

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Wolf wrapped in Jan 2013 and screened in Dec 2013, so if Silence is a little less sprawling they just might make it. But it's gonna be tight.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:The Bronze got awful reviews at Sundance and its lead is even more obscure than Amy Schumer. It could be another Desert Dancer for Relativity and fail to go past its initial run.

I tried to avoid religious films but God's Not Dead 2 was too tempting to pass up. If that makes even half of the first's total, it will have been a good pick.
Yeah because she's not blowing up right now or anything like that :roll:
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!