2015-16 Full Year Draft Thread (Division A)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
Neo

Re: 2015-16 Full Year Draft Thread (Division A)

Post by transformers2 »

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Star Wars is far from a lock for $400+ mil and there's plenty of potential of surprise breakout picks in later rounds.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Minions please!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Ok... whatever you say. If you can make up the 200+ million dollar gap between picks 1-2 and everything else, you deserve to win, no doubt.

Check out the inflation numbers on the Star Wars movies and tell me it is no lock for 400 million.... I'd say it is a lock for 500
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

If Star Wars makes 200+ more than Hunger Games AND Batman Vs. Superman I'll be beside myself.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

SuperShaan
Oldboy

Post by SuperShaan »

Spectre
Mein Führer! I can WALK!

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

SuperShaan wrote:Spectre
Boo, that was mine and you know it! Honestly, it scared me half to death because of the box office take of every other Bond except for Skyfall but it has that $300M upside... and that name ;)

Well, I had a list of 9 movies that I wouldn't be upset to take in the 1st round and surprise, there's only one left. I'm taking The Good Dinosaur and hoping that it can carry the holidays.

I hope for Chien's sake he didn't have the same 9 in his list of 9...

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Geezer wrote:Gonna be a whole lot of arguing over nothing when no one other than the top 2 picks has a realistic shot at this thing this year....
Dude, I feel like you say this every year, and every year you're proven wrong. Chien just won this year and he picked 5th last year.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

silversurfer19 wrote:Image

As I said in the other thread, potential is fine and all, but first couple of rounds, you have to make sure you are still in the mix. I think there are movies with much, much more certainties than Inside Out, and Pixar have certainly been on a downturn box office wise recently. Big surprise for me with so many other possibilities still available.
I do understand the hesitation on picking Inside Out so early, but Pixar has proven its original films can be huge, and even if they disappoint, they're st-ll pulling in at least $200M. I considered Jurassic World and Spectre but I think both will not pass $225, and that's if they're lucky.

And 2013 showed that a Pixar film can more than hold its own against the Minions.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Dude, I feel like you say this every year, and every year you're proven wrong. Chien just won this year and he picked 5th last year.
I don't think it's impossible but it puts everyone at a definite disadvantage. You have to have an absolutely stellar draft to beat the potential of a $500M+ movie. Hell, my first two picks probably won't even make that much...

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Also, I noticed nobody mentioned it, but what's up with the new format on the front page? I kinda liked it separated by rounds rather than by player.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Spectre wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Dude, I feel like you say this every year, and every year you're proven wrong. Chien just won this year and he picked 5th last year.
I don't think it's impossible but it puts everyone at a definite disadvantage. You have to have an absolutely stellar draft to beat the potential of a $500M+ movie. Hell, my first two picks probably won't even make that much...
True, but we've been playing this game since 2010 and only one film has passed $500M. I strongly disagree that both Avengers and Star Wars will pass $500M domestic.

I actually think Avengers will top out around $450M, it's got much stronger competition than the first did in 2012. Pitch Perfect 2, Mad Max, Tomorrowland, and San Andreas are a tougher bunch than Dark Shadows, Battleship, and Men In Black 3.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I'm with Banks, Ultron will make less than the first one.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

undeadmonkey wrote:I'm with Banks, Ultron will make less than the first one.
I think Ultron makes less as well. I think Star Wars explodes though.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

My guess is that Star Wars wins this league, but 2nd and 3rd are up for grabs. Ultron will be huge, but it's catchable with the right draft. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Spectre wrote:I hope for Chien's sake he didn't have the same 9 in his list of 9...
Dude, turns out I had the exact same list of 9 films.
I was hoping one of you guys would not think like me and pick at least one film outmy list list, but that did not happen. So I'm stuck with picking films I think have much less potential than yours, but I knew what I was getting into by picking 10th.
So I have to choose films that have a box-office certainty, but at the same time films that have potential to break out and do better than we expect of them right now. Tough one.
I'll go with Ant-Man first, because it's Marvel and even though I'm pretty sure it won't be this year's Guardians of the Galaxy, well, you never know.

And then I'll go with.... mmmm... Fuck it, I'll go all summer superhero and take The Fantastic Four for #2. Maybe a mistake, but grabbing in my position, I need to take a few risks.
Fluctuat nec mergitur