2015-16 Full Year Draft Thread (Division A)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

empire13
Clark Griswald

Re: 2015-16 Full Year Draft Thread (Division A)

Post by empire13 »

Where are ya, Banks? Did I disappoint you that much by not taking you up on your trade offer?
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I've kept you guys in suspense long enough....

Inside Out
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

I like it. Big potential. Loved the trailer. Been a while for Pixar, so I think everyone is ready.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

As I said in the other thread, potential is fine and all, but first couple of rounds, you have to make sure you are still in the mix. I think there are movies with much, much more certainties than Inside Out, and Pixar have certainly been on a downturn box office wise recently. Big surprise for me with so many other possibilities still available.

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

Downturn? $270m for Monsters U. and $240 for Brave. Yeah, Cars 2 sucked, but before that they had $400m + in Toy Story 3. I really don't see a downturn. I do have 2 films on my list surpassing it in B.O., but I don't think it's a bad pick at all.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

BTW, if you guys could Bold and increase the size to "Large" all of your movie title picks, that would be awesome. Makes it easier for me to see and record.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

empire13 wrote:Downturn? $270m for Monsters U. and $240 for Brave. Yeah, Cars 2 sucked, but before that they had $400m + in Toy Story 3. I really don't see a downturn. I do have 2 films on my list surpassing it in B.O., but I don't think it's a bad pick at all.
Maybe downturn was the wrong word. What I mean is, other than Toy Story, Pixar seems to be struggling to break out of a run of movies that just pass satisfactory, both in terms of box office and quality. Adjusting for inflation, again barring Toy Story which is their iconic picture, only Up has avoided sitting at the bottom of the heap of Pixar's box office league in the last decade. It's been a long time since they have had a real bonafide hit like Finding Nemo, certainly one worth picking at such a high position in the draft, and while Inside Out does appear to be something a little more fresh and original, I'm yet to be totally won over by the ads. I want the movie to be fantastic, but I'm just not so sure this will be the movie to take them back to the top of the tree.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

JURASSIC WORLD

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

What is the time frame for our picks...12 hours?

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I believe it's 24 hours for the first round, 12 hours there after.

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

Just saying I think it can muster $280 million breaking a sweat and $320 million exhausting itself. I think our expectations are beginning to exceed reality. I understand that with the first 5-6 picks you want to guarantee yourself as close to $300 million as possible, but only 3 to 4 films on average reach that plateau each year. It's still rarefied air. So, with the 4th pick, a film that has a real shot at high $200 million figure, it's a reasonable pick. We are only prognosticating at this point, after all. Now, this year does appear to be an exceptional year, but on my list I only had Minions and Spectre exceeding Inside Out in box office, mostly because I can't put my finger on a number for Batman vs. Superman. I do think it has a high ceiling. That said, I would have probably picked Inside Out 6th or 7th.

And, didn't you pick Batman vs. Superman? Isn't that a pick based as much on potential as practical box office outlook? I'm not trying to throw you under the bus, Surf. I like this back and forth. It's creatively healthy...and I'm bored. Division A is falling pretty far behind you speedsters in Division B.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

It's very possible I have inflated all my estimations a little, just Inside Out sat 9th in my list, although between 6th and 10th it really could have gone either way, just didn't think Inside Out was as highly regarded as it perhaps is. As for Batman vs Superman, I said in the other thread that with Man Of Steel making $290m in the same time period and with Furious 7 proving movies can easily exceed $300m in that calendar date, I think $350m is the bare minimum for my pick, with the sky the limit. Again, I may be inflating my estimations, but I think my figures are certainly more than just potential in this case, or at least I hope so!

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

I remember John Erle was going to be out of town. Did he leave a list with anyone?

Am I this impatient already? It's only the first round. Take a chill pill, Charlie. Guess I'm just excited. This is my life, after all.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

He didn't leave one with me. We may have to wait until tomorrow.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Gonna be a whole lot of arguing over nothing when no one other than the top 2 picks has a realistic shot at this thing this year....
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude