2015-2016 Full Year Draft: Pre-Draft Chat

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

2015-2016 Full Year Draft: Pre-Draft Chat

Post by numbersix »

While Shryke is continuing to conquer the world of fiction writing, might as well set this up for any advance chat.

We should discuss any rules we'd like to change, or anything we'd like to predict if we want.

Anyone have any thoughts on the best date to start the draft? It seems some of the placements will only be known by Monday, though if the first picks are set in stone for both divisions we could start a little earlier.

Also, there's been chat about the waiver rules, particularly the one about not being able to change a movie once it's 4 weeks or less before the release date. Would be good to get everyone's thoughts on this before we start.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: 2015-2016 Full Year Draft: Pre-Draft Chat

Post by Chienfantome »

Thanks for opening this thread Six !

I always think the sooner the better to start the draft, but i guess given the numbers in B Division and how close they are, we'll have to wait til monday to start ?
As for the waiver rules debate, I have no problem with the rules as they are right now, but open to make them evolve if some think it's necessary. I'll let those say how they would envision that.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I think last years draft went pretty smoothly didn't it? It doesn't appear that we need change anything major for this year.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'd prefer it if we waited until Monday to start, or at least wait until Monday to enforce the 12-hour window. I'll be out of town celebrating my multiple birthdays this weekend -- that's a special in-joke only my FB friends will understand -- and I'll be returning some time Monday. My crib sheet is very rough this year and I'd hate to go through several early, crucial rounds by forwarding that list to someone.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

JohnErle wrote:I'd prefer it if we waited until Monday to start, or at least wait until Monday to enforce the 12-hour window. I'll be out of town celebrating my multiple birthdays this weekend -- that's a special in-joke only my FB friends will understand -- and I'll be returning some time Monday. My crib sheet is very rough this year and I'd hate to go through several early, crucial rounds by forwarding that list to someone.
I could go for the second idea... so long as Shryke can set the order using weekend estimates (aka a difference of like $5M between each place so there won't be a correction that impacts it), I vote we start as soon as he's able to get the order out but don't enforce the time limit until Monday. That way we can at least get the ball rolling on what should be some very easy picks but don't pressure anyone until the new week starts.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

[quote="JohnErle"]I'll be out of town celebrating my multiple birthdays this weekend[/quote

Hoho, so it is your birthday.... well... at least one of these days this week ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Chienfantome wrote:
JohnErle wrote:I'll be out of town celebrating my multiple birthdays this weekend
Hoho, so it is your birthday.... well... at least one of these days this week ;)
Don't steal my identity, Chien. You don't want it. ;-)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Spectre wrote:
JohnErle wrote:I'd prefer it if we waited until Monday to start, or at least wait until Monday to enforce the 12-hour window. I'll be out of town celebrating my multiple birthdays this weekend -- that's a special in-joke only my FB friends will understand -- and I'll be returning some time Monday. My crib sheet is very rough this year and I'd hate to go through several early, crucial rounds by forwarding that list to someone.
I could go for the second idea... so long as Shryke can set the order using weekend estimates (aka a difference of like $5M between each place so there won't be a correction that impacts it), I vote we start as soon as he's able to get the order out but don't enforce the time limit until Monday. That way we can at least get the ball rolling on what should be some very easy picks but don't pressure anyone until the new week starts.
That's what we did last year and it seemed to work.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:Don't steal my identity, Chien. You don't want it.
I only want to steal the identity of a movie star, or someone married to Salma Hayek or Gong Li. If you're neither of those, I'd rather keep mine.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Do we know that all 20 of us are back and ready for the draft? Anybody done a head count?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm pretty sure Leetsu, and Surfer won't be playing anymore. Oh dear, looks I'm picking 1st in Division B...

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'm open to dropping the 4 week rule for Waiver drops and pickups. I'm fine as is or without the limit - I don't think it'll have much of any impact.

And I agree, once we get the actuals on Monday, we should start. But not enforce the 12 hour window for the first couple of days, just to let everyone be on the same page.

Also, I both pity and envy the person who has to choose between BvS and Mockingjay Part 2.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Very interested to see where I end up drafting in Division B. I know first spot is out of reach, but with Leestu currently on about $804m and myself $782m after Monday's numbers, I can only hope for a decent drop from my major movies come the weekend. Unlikely as I will probably only be about $15m behind come the weekend, but I can certainly keep my fingers crossed for Star Wars.

I just know I'm going to have that BvS/HG conundrum though....

EDIT: Oh, and I'm all for starting the draft on Monday with the 12 hour rule not in place for the first round. Though I did always like the waiver wire 28 day rule.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

I like the 28 day waiver rule too. As much as I got screwed by it a couple times, it helps make this the long-term forecast game that it should be. Dropping a movie because its tracking drops hard the week before release defeats the purpose IMO.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I've said it many times, and I'll say it again: keep the 28-day rule.