2015-2016 Full Year Draft: Pre-Draft Chat

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: 2015-2016 Full Year Draft: Pre-Draft Chat

Post by transformers2 »

I'm for keeping the 28-day waiver rule and not implementing the 12-hour rule on the first couple rounds of the draft.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

I'd say keep the 28 day rule. Maybe the one thing we could consider/petition would be if something like The Interview happens again where extraordinary circumstances really screw with a movie. We could do a vote or something to allow someone in that situation a chance to make a change.

And I'm good with starting the draft early with no time allotments, but I say by Monday we have the 12 hour rule to help things move along.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Good to see people agree with the 28 day rule.

My suggestion it this:

Change it to 14 days, when tracking still is far from accurate.
And to remove the rule by the end of Feb, so if there are late drop-offs we at least give SOME fighting chance to those hurt by the change. Any thoughts?

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

I have no complaints about the 28 day rule, unless it pertains to Sandra Bullock, in which case I think anyone should be allowed to add the film up to opening day.

I think easing the 28 day rule in February/March would be a good call. Not that there will be much to add, but it would be nice to be able to if you're on the fence. I never even replaced In the Heart of the Sea when it was moved out of the window, although I might have taken a flyer on one of the platform/indie releases as a last minute replacement if I had been able to late. Who knows, the totals could have been even closer than they are now and it might have made a difference.

As for the 12 hour rule; I think if the draft starts on Monday then the 12 hour rule should be in effect immediately. We still have plenty of time to inform our 20 players of any draft plans. However, if we are able to start earlier, because we have some early picks set in stone or it becomes clear who is drafting where, then I think the 12 hour rule should be waived until Monday/Tuesday.

Again, I've had several offers for my tentative, but likely 1st pick. I'm not sure I can ask for any deals that would net me the $500 million in box office I'd be giving up, but if someone is willing to throw a ridiculous offer out there I wouldn't deter them. It would need to be a pretty incredible effort, though.

And, for the sake of full disclosure, there is a BIG part of me that wants to take Star Wars: The Force Awakens with the 1st pick, however I'm inclined to go with the "sure thing" in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Plus, I like the idea of starting with a huge lead.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I will see how things shake out when the weekend estimates are given on Sunday. If there is a comfortable enough gap between all players, we can start a day early. If not, however, we'll wait until Monday.

As of Tuesday's numbers (and I have plugged them all in), there are still a few close races that will determine draft order:

Spectre (B moving to A), is probably going to pass SuperShaan (A), and end up with the ninth pick in Division A.

The race for second in Division B between JohnErle and Brockster will probably come out in JE's favor (unless Home takes a big hit and Adaline tanks).

UDM (A moving to B) only needs about $5M aout of Age of Adaline to sneak ahead of Ron B (B).

The last close race is between Surfer (A moving to B) and Six (B). Six may squeeze a few more mil out of Woman in Gold and end up at $830M. Surfer, to pass him, needs about $35M out of Woman/Blart/Unfriended/Little Boy/Water Diviner. It may be quite close.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Aquamann2001
Fletch

Post by Aquamann2001 »

So devision A could technically make its first 7 picks before Monday?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm searching for the hole in that logic, but I haven't found it yet...
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

We should start at the same time, A and B, don't you think ? I know at some point one Division will have draft quicker than the other, but I think it's better to start together, no ?

And is everyone supposed to involved in the draft ready to roll ? Are those who don't come often to the boards aware it will begin in only a matter of days ?
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think if there's a question over placements in Division B then Division A should just go ahead. No point holding the other division up.

Besides, us thoughtless Division B folk will catch up pretty quickly. And trip over our own feet a few times.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'm for six's 14-day rule proposal. It's a bit more lax but it still prevents people from dropping movies because of poor tracking.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

transformers2 wrote:I'm for six's 14-day rule proposal. It's a bit more lax but it still prevents people from dropping movies because of poor tracking.
Same here. I never liked the 28 day rule. I like it in spirit, but in practice with so many films picked, the chances of grabbing something off FA to make the rule matter is negligible. If there were so few films picked we're leaving an Oscar bait film on FA, I can see it, but we're snapping up every single thing that has a chance to go wide.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering Star Wars if I get #1 as well. Avengers is the obvious route, but Star Wars could also set the record for the highest grossing film ever as well. I think Star Wars has both a lower floor and higher ceiling.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

GUYS. THE DRAFT IS ALMOST HERE!!

One more lousy April weekend, and the one of the most fun couple of weeks starts again. I don't know about you guys, but I definitely look forward to this every year.

Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I definitely look forward to this every year.
YES !!!
Best week of the year for our game(s). I look forward to it, I've been studying for the last few days, I'm getting ready !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I'm for six's 14 day proposal as well.

i'm ready to go for the draft, I will say my next week is pretty busy, especially the weekend, (1st and 2nd) but I should still be able to check in once or twice a day. A facebook notification helps as well.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I've got a preliminary list but probably a good time to create a new email and get another free trial on IMDBpro....

All set to go though, think Division B should definitely hold off though as places are really not set in stone yet. And I'm good with a 14 day rule. Still keeps in place the logic behind the 28 day rule but gives a little more leeway in certain circumstances. Still have no idea what I will take for my first pick.