2015-2016 Full Year Draft: Pre-Draft Chat

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: 2015-2016 Full Year Draft: Pre-Draft Chat

Post by silversurfer19 »

empire13 wrote:It looks to me like even if the weekend estimates on boxoffice.com are off by a couple of million either way, we're set. That's including the players crossing over. I'm just eager!!!

Ha! I'm good to go I think, been having a think and believe I am now set on which movie I will take for my first pick. Until my turn actually comes up and I about face!

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

You're already more confident than I am, so my hat's off to you. Am I crazy to be going back and forth on Avengers and Star Wars? I just see so much potential for anything J.J. gets his hands on...and it's fucking STAR WARS!!!

Also, I'm getting some REALLY INTERESTING trade offers. But, am I that adventurous? Only time will tell.
Last edited by empire13 on April 25th, 2015, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Love that energy, Empire. I'm keen to get started too, so whenever Shryke sees fit I can contribute.

Picking 4th takes a bit of pressure off me. There are realistically only 2 options when it comes to me. Surf, good luck with whatever you pick. Not an easy choice.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

numbersix wrote:Picking 4th takes a bit of pressure off me. There are realistically only 2 options when it comes to me. Surf, good luck with whatever you pick. Not an easy choice.
You say that, but to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if at least another four movies cracked $300m. Not sure they all will, but wouldn't be surprised if any of them did, and if that was the case, it certainly makes a more intriguing decision. Not that I will be considering any of those four for my first pick!

Aquamann2001
Fletch

Post by Aquamann2001 »

I'm open to trading the number 3 pick in the A division. Send me any offers. Willing to trade down or up.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

empire13 wrote:I think Surf will easily outdistance Leestu. But, still being behind Six means the tough decision at #3.

Any chance we can get this think rolling early? Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with an Oscar on top?

So, W, what are you planning on doing with the first pick? Is it really, really close? It is with me.
Probably Avengers. It's safer. Then I think "Why be safe?" And now I'm thinking, "It's not JUST Star Wars, it's Disney." "But the prequels never hit $500 M." "But that was then, now it's an every other year occurrence." "Avengers is Summer." "Avatar destroyed in Star Wars' date."

That's what I"m thinking... So I guess it's 55/45 Avengers/Star Wars. Before I started typing it was 80/20...
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

I'd personally go Star Wars without hesitation (and not just because I'm a fanboy). Avengers hitting $600M was the build-up of a very successful campaign designed to ramp up excitement. I know that the first did nothing to kill that excitement and should have a carryover audience but it's just not going to be an event like the first one. That said, it's still going to be awesome.

Star Wars is an event. They're bringing back the old cast, they have a very buzzworthy director and it's friggin Star Wars, one of if not THE most powerful franchises of all time. It looks fantastic. Is there a chance it underperforms Avengers? Absolutely... but if it does, it won't be by THAT much. Can anyone really see this making less than $400M even if it sucks? On the other hand, it has the upside to pass Avengers. The buzz is going to be ridiculous by the time it's released and it's coming out during the holidays.

I can see arguments for both because Avengers is much safer and it IS a long draft. But I'd gamble on upside, just because I can't see this one failing.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Either way, I bet those at the top of the disney food chain are sitting pretty.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

undeadmonkey wrote:Either way, I bet those at the top of the disney food chain are sitting pretty.
It may be illegal to print money but owning Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, and Walt Disney Animation Studios comes pretty close.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

The BoxOffice and BOM projections are in an plugged in, and I think all of the draft spots are pretty well cemented.

Based on who is promoted and who is demoted, here is how the Divisions finished.

1. Chien (A) - $1.293B - will pick A10
2. Spectre (B) - $1.129B - will pick A9 (promoted)
3. Shaan (A) - $1.119B - will pick A8
4. JohnErle (B) - $1.108B - will pick A7 (promoted)
5. Brockster (B) - $1.084B - will pick A6 (promoted)
6. Buscemi (B) - $1.078B - will pick B10
7. Banks (A) - $1.060B - will pick A5
8. Walleye (B) - $1.052B - will pick B9
9. tranny (A) - $1.011B - will pick A4
10. aquamann (A) - $996M - will pick A3
11. weissac (B) - $973M - will pick B8
12. Geezer (A) - $970M - will pick A2
13. Shryke (B) - $914M - will pick B7
14. empire (A) - $890M - will pick A1
15. UDM (A) - $872M - will pick B6 (demoted)
16. Ron B (B) - $863M - will pick B5
17. Six (B) - $831M - will pick B4
18. Surfer (A) - $820M - will pick B3 (demoted)
19. leestu (B) - $808M - will pick B2
20. W (A) - $786M - will pick B1 (demoted)

So, after the projections, no two players are less than $5M apart except weissac and Geezer, but their final positions switching wouldn't change the draft order.

So, based on this, I say we get started!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)