2014-15 Full Year Slates (Division B)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: 2014-15 Full Year Slates (Division B)

Post by Chienfantome »

Having 5 TBA titles always is a bigger risk than having none, but your TBA titles seem pretty sure to get a release in the right time frame Six. From the look of it, on the paper, I'd say the strongest slates are those of Boosch and Six.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

For me it's those 2nd and 3rd round picks that stand out and I like Shryke, Spectre and Six on that account. All movies I had ranked pretty high and couldn't decide between.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

BrocksterDuex wrote:God I hope F&F doesn't get pushed!
With Captain America proving that an early April release can reap huge rewards, I imagine Universal will really want to not push it.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Cap didn't have an Avengers sequel to worry about, and FF7 will obviously require extensive CGI so it might be in post for a long time. Any film has the potential to get bumped, as Gravity certainly proved to me two years ago, but FF7 has higher odds than most.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

JohnErle wrote:I'd say Shryke should be more worried about the curse of the #1 pick. ;-)
Always worried about that. However, I like my chances this year. I took fewer risks and thought harder about my picks. Time will tell if I'm right, but I think I've definitely got Top 5 sewn up.

Fixed your roster, John Erle.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Shrykespeare wrote:
Thanks, Shryke!

And so my favourite time of the year around here comes to a close for another 12 months. In an effort to extend it a little bit, I'll point out that I'm willing to accept trade offers on SpongeBob SquarePants since so many of you were disappointed when I grabbed it. If you're willing to overpay in a trade to take it off my hands, I'm all ears. ;)

I also might be willing to move one of my September action movies if the price is right. Send me an offer via PM if you're interested and let's haggle.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

JohnErle wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote:
Thanks, Shryke!

And so my favourite time of the year around here comes to a close for another 12 months. In an effort to extend it a little bit, I'll point out that I'm willing to accept trade offers on SpongeBob SquarePants since so many of you were disappointed when I grabbed it. If you're willing to overpay in a trade to take it off my hands, I'm all ears. ;)

I also might be willing to move one of my September action movies if the price is right. Send me an offer via PM if you're interested and let's haggle.
We're allowed to trade?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Definitely allowed to trade.

JohnE, your offer is very tempting. Let me have a think. And if there's anything on my slate outside of my Top 4 picks that you want, let me know.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Spectre wrote: We're allowed to trade?
Yup. I think the only rule we ever had is that 2-1 deals are frowned upon since no one should be carrying more movies than anyone else. I can't quite remember what was decided about that, if anything.

And Six, I'll get back to you.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

You can have 2 for 1 deals, but you'd exceed your "max roster size" and would have to drop something... so you may as well trade 2 for 2.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Chienfantome wrote:Whats the curse on The Hobbit ?
Well I picked Hobbit in division A last year....look where I am now!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, I wouldn't blame it ALL on The Hobbit. From where you drafted, there weren't many titles that you could have picked that would have turned out better (well, Frozen and Gravity...). The problem was almost everything ELSE on your slate. You struck gold with Now You See Me, but just about everything else underwhelmed (besides Grand Budapest).

My lineup after Despicable Me 2 was so godawful. Apart from my WW pick in Son of God, nothing broke out. Hence my last place finish...
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Transcendence killed me. And I expected more from Dallas Buyers Club and Philomena (on the former, I blame Universal cutting its theatrical life short by releasing it on home formats before the Oscars).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah I think it didnt come from The Hobbit, but ratyer from the less obvious films. Heck, my #1 pick was Thor 2 which turned out the lesser money earner of the #1 picks, and I still finished in the Top 3. Your #1 film, unless you made a dramatic mistake that earned only 80 millions, wont break your slate, it's the rest that will.
The Hobbit 3 will earn solid money, fans of LOTR and Tolkien are gonna come see the last chance of watching a LOTR related film on a big screen for a long while.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Well, so far it looks like passing on Spidey may have been the right choice. I guess when Godzilla opens this next weekend I'll know for sure on that count at least.