The Official 2014-15 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: The Official 2014-15 Full Year Draft Thread (Division B)

Post by Buscemi »

Yeah, I'm still trying to decide on two movies (along with three alternates in the event those two get taken).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Yeah, I'm really hoping for one of two. And If they're both up I'm not sure which one to go for.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

It helps when people keep choosing TBA titles I'd never heard of, like Trash, Rosewater, or Suffragete. I also hadn't heard of Child 44 until someone in Division A picked it, and when I looked it up I immediately thought it was something I'd want to see, which is how I know it'll flop.

weissac
Private Pyle

Post by weissac »

why not cap it off with Shaun the Sheep and hope it hits the states

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The director of Child 44's last English-language film grossed over $100 million (despite being deathly boring). But he doesn't have a star on the level of Denzel Washington on this one and I can't see Lionsgate selling it on something that it isn't like Universal did with Safe House.

As for Shaun the Sheep Movie (that's actually the official title), I'm thinking Lionsgate might distribute it domestically as they distribute the series through their HiT Entertainment label.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Kinda regret not picking up Jessabelle. It'll be the first horror since The Purge Two, it's Blum, and Lionsgate have done well in that slot before (like last year's The Possession). It could surprise and make 30-40m.

Trash better end up being the South American version of Slumdog Millionaire or I'll be peeved.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Jessabelle looks like a dud to me, as it will have direct competition with another long-on-the-shelf horror film (The Loft) and unlike The Loft, replaces semi-familiar actors with terrible accents and overused pandering to Southern audiences (when is this modern hicksploitation kick going to end?).

As for Trash, I don't think Rooney Mara has the drawing power of Kate Winslet or Sandra Bullock.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ah, I was counting the days until a Rooney Mara bash was coming. It's actually been a while. 2, 3 days?

I figured The Loft is more of a thriller than a horror, so there will be a different audience for Jessabelle.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Not so much of a bashing but a simple case of drawing power. Daldry's movies tend to be small in nature but hold for two reasons: Oscar buzz and star power. Would audiences gone to see The Reader had it not starred Kate Winslet or an actress of that caliber?

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Total blind shot in the dark here but all the remaining known wide releases look awful and I don't feel like gambling on any of the remaining Oscar bait so I'm going with Merry Friggin' Christmas. I don't even know if the thing will come out this year like it's supposed to but it seems like every few years one of these dysfunctional yet warm Christmas movies pops up and outperforms, even when the movie stinks. I like the cast and the marketability of Robin Williams so why not have some fun in the 16th round?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

There's another one I've never heard of, but it's a good gamble for the final round. The last time a director from Community branched out into feature films was Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and that turned out all right.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

It's from the producers of The Way, Way Back so there's a possibility it could be more than a simple straight-to-DVD title.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Well, I've chosen a number of movies that I want to see and succeed (which doesn't bode well for their chances) so I might as well end that way too: Begin Again. Once made 10 million with no stars, "weird" accents, and yet somehow drew people in with an amazing story and wonderful music. Would love to see that happen again with a little bit bigger cast and a more accessible setting.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Walleye413 wrote:Well, I've chosen a number of movies that I want to see and succeed (which doesn't bode well for their chances) so I might as well end that way too: Begin Again. Once made 10 million with no stars, "weird" accents, and yet somehow drew people in with an amazing story and wonderful music. Would love to see that happen again with a little bit bigger cast and a more accessible setting.

Wanted this for my last pick. I know how much Harvey paid for it and how much he's spending on P&A, and so I had the feeling it could be this summer's The Way, Way Back.

Walleye, I'm putting a hex on you...

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Buscemi wrote:It's from the producers of The Way, Way Back so there's a possibility it could be more than a simple straight-to-DVD title.
I'm hopeful anyway. At least it'll be easy to monitor... if it doesn't get a release before Christmas, it's going straight in the dumpster with plenty of time to waiver a replacement. Would be nice if it slotted into the December 5th weekend that has literally nothing going wide right now.