2013-14 Full Year Slates (Division A)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: 2013-14 Full Year Slates (Division A)

Post by undeadmonkey »

so apparently having first pick is not good for you, its better to have second pick

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Its really going to come down to skill, no matter where you draft. If you can see Frozen being a monster hit, and others don't, its going to improve your chances of winning. If there's no 600 million dollar movie, then the first round isn't going to decide this contest now that we've divided it to two leagues.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

SuperShaan
Oldboy

Post by SuperShaan »

Geezer wrote: Getting promoted to the A division is being "punished?"
No you're right, getting promoted to A division isn't a punishment, being forced to draft last in A division despite not winning A division is.
Geezer wrote: Do sports teams complain about drafting last when they win a championship? Of course not. They enjoy their title and expect to draft last.
I figured you would bring this up. It’s not a credible argument to make though; since drafting in sports is to supplement an already established roster and the benefits of drafting is long term not short term. Of course the Miami Heat is happy to draft last, they already have LeBron James! That’s like someone already having The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 and then having to draft.
Geezer wrote: At least you get to draft last among the top dogs.
Do you consider yourself as part of these top dogs? Looking at your past and current performance in this game; you’re more of a mediocre puppy.
Geezer wrote: Be happy you are taking someone's spot.
I’m extremely happy I’m taking someone's spot, I earned my way into Division A, I beat all 8 competitors in Division B, and I am then rewarded with the worst statistical chance of staying in the Division A, worse odds than the two people that finished below me... it just seems illogical.
Geezer wrote: Its really going to come down to skill, no matter where you draft. If you can see Frozen being a monster hit, and others don't, its going to improve your chances of winning. If there's no 600 million dollar movie, then the first round isn't going to decide this contest now that we've divided it to two leagues.
I agree with you on this Geez, in the end the game has shown it doesn't matter where you pick, it matters what you pick. I will gladly pick last, after all it’s the best that pick last according to you, and I have no problem being considered the best :lol:
Mein Führer! I can WALK!

Aquamann2001
Fletch

Post by Aquamann2001 »

Got blocked out for a bit finally figured out the word play. I made it more complicated then it was. Being the 3rd place finisher and last to be promoted; I volunteer to take the last pick and work my way up. Im not sure when the draft is starting but I have law school finals, my wedding and my honeymoon coming up starting in may so making 2 picks in a row will help with time management. Good luck.

SuperShaan
Oldboy

Post by SuperShaan »

Sorry Aqua, I have to take the last pick out of sheer principle, unless you’re desperate to pick last, I think you should hold on to your spot.

Edit: Also congratulations on your pending nuptials.
Mein Führer! I can WALK!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Congrats Aqua on your upcoming graduation and wedding! seems like a lot to be happening at once

Aquamann2001
Fletch

Post by Aquamann2001 »

Thanks I appreciate it. Not graduating yet just finishing my first year. 2 more years to go. But yeah its an exciting time. Literally 2 days after finals is the wedding. When do you think we will start drafting?

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Last year we began a week prior to the May leagues beginning, so if we began a similar pattern, I would guess the weekend of the 25th April, in two weeks time. Considering most of the leagues seem to be wrapping up in regards to placings, I'm not sure we can't start earlier, but I'd hope we would have started by that date at the very least.

Anyway, can I ask Shryke if he has come to a conclusion re. the ordering of the draft. I'm sure whatever his decision we will all be happy to go along with, just think we need to decide sooner rather than later so I can prepare to configure my slate sans The Hunger Games [wink].

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Thanks for all of your patience. I have made my decision regarding the draft order.

Given that the two players who drafted dead last in both divisions will end up winning, it stands to reason that the order of the draft, in and of itself, has little or no bearing on the outcome of the league, unless you have something the size of The Avengers within it. (Which makes me wonder if the person who gets to draft Age of Ultron in the 2015-16 draft should have to forego his Round 2 pick entirely to keep it fair, but that's an argument for another time).

That being said, nearly all sports leagues do their draft in such a way that the teams with the worst record the year before therefore get the higher picks than the teams that won it all, and this should be no different. It is, of course, slightly complicated by the fact that we have two divisions, but the solution I've come up with would seem to be the fairest and most equitable, though I have no doubt there are those among you who might be slightly rankled by it.

Keep in mind that this is a YEAR-long league, which means it will be a long time before we are going to draft again. All you can do is try to pick the best lineup you can. You just never know when a film will explode like Frozen or Gravity.

Here is how I figure Division A will end up:

1. Transformers
2. Banks
3. Chien
4. Geezer
5. Empire
6. Buscemi (I think $30M out of Transcendence is fairly certain)
7. W
8. Undeadmonkey
9. Leestu
10. Shrykespeare

And Division B:

1. SuperShaan
2. Silversurfer
3. Aquamann
4. JohnErle
5. Walleye (unless Rio gets an incredible hold and Heaven Is For Real opens very high)
6. SleepySkunk
7. Numbersix
8. RathfulProphetic
9. Englishozzy

So, if this is indeed how it finishes, here is the draft order for Division A:

1. W
2. Buscemi
3. Empire
4. Geezer
5. Chien
6. aquamann
7. Banks
8. Silversurfer
9. Transformers
10. SuperShaan

Division B will draft thusly:

1. Shrykespeare
2. Leestu
3. Undeadmonkey
4. Numbersix
5. Walleye
6. JohnErle
7-9 or 10. Brockster, Ron Burgundy, Spectre, and possibly Weissac (still waiting to hear back from him). I will determine this order by random draw within the next week.

I hope this meets with everyone's approval. If not, well...
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Banks and Chien pass Geezer to cement their spots on the podium. Empire joins the Billionaire Boys Club.

As of 4/14/14:

1. transformers, $1,274,450,882 - (2 movies out: 12 Years a Slave, Frozen; 14 finished)
2. Banks, $1,175,916,330 - (6 movies out: The Monuments Men, About Last Night, Need For Speed, Bad Words, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Oculus; 9 finished)
3. Chienfantome, $1,110,615,649 - (10 movies out: Thor: The Dark World, August: Osage County, Ride Along, The LEGO Movie, 3 Days to Kill, The Wind Rises, The Single Moms Club, Divergent, Sabotage, Draft Day; 5 finished)
4. Geezer, $1,106,533,530 - (1 movie out: RoboCop; 15 finished)
5. empire, $1,002,355,626 - (7 movies out: Her, The Nut Job, Non-Stop, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Under the Skin, Rio 2, Joe; 8 finished)
6. W, $993,577,796 - (2 movies out: 300: Rise of an Empire, Muppets Most Wanted; 11 finished)
7. Buscemi, $967,039,518 - (3 movies out: Dallas Buyers Club, Philomena, Saving Mr. Banks; 12 finished)
8. undeadmonkey, $929,984,407 - (6 movies out: Gravity, Veronica Mars, Nymphomaniac Vol. 1, Noah, Dom Hemingway, Only Lovers Left Alive; 7 finished)
9. leestu, $890,510,993 - (3 movies out: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Pompeii, The Grand Budapest Hotel; 12 finished)
9. Shrykespeare, $861,686,270 - (2 movies out: Son of God, Island of Lemurs: Madagascar; 13 finished)

The following films would now appear to be done:

American Hustle (transformers)
Lone Survivor (Buscemi)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Chienfantome)
Walking With Dinosaurs (Shrykespeare)
The Book Thief (leestu)
Vampire Academy (undeadmonkey)

April 18:
Transcendence (Buscemi)
A Haunted House 2 (Shrykespeare)
Heaven is for Real (undeadmonkey)
Bears (leestu)

April 25:
The Other Woman (undeadmonkey)
The Quiet Ones (Chienfantome)
Brick Mansions (Banks)

Never:
Serena (W)
Foxcatcher (W)
Townies (W)
St. Vincent (empire)

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Good call on the draft order, Shryke. Thanks for all the work you do on this. I think Weiss may be in, He seemed pretty game today when we chatted. I'll hold out hope for a big open from Heaven, but if not, it's 5th place for me. I climbed up 3 spots which would look good except Shaan killed it! Overachiever.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'm on board with that draft lineup, Shryke.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I'm also hoping for a miracle from Heaven's OW ;)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Next draft's order is fine by me.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Walleye has just informed me that weissac is in. He just needs to join the forums.

This is great in that it now gives us an even ten players in each division.

Question: Are we doing sixteen rounds again?

BTW, I did a quick count of the number of movies currently listed on BOM's schedule that are in bold (wide-release) between May and April. There are 118.