The Official 2013-2014 Full Year Draft Thread (Division A)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: The Official 2013-2014 Full Year Draft Thread (Division

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, my turn. For my first choice I'm torn between summer animated films. Do I go for the prequel or the sequel?

On the one hand, Monsters University is Pixar, which can usually earn $250M in its sleep if it's not a movie about talking cars. It's a prequel to a very well-thought-of film, but then again, that was 12 years ago, and there's no Boo this time, and her character was a big part of the appeal. Not that I'm doubting Pixar's ability to create a funny, entertaining story, that would be criminal, but I've yet to see a real plot in the film beyond the usual origin story stuff slash college movie hijinks.

On the other hand, you've got Despicable Me 2. It's a sequel to a much more recent film, that became a surprise hit in 2010. It's worth noting that last year, the third weekend in July heralded the release of The Dark Knight Rises. The year before, it was the final Harry Potter film. This year, the scariest-looking film coming out on that weekend is another animated film (Turbo), which isn't even as daunting as Inception was in 2010, the same year that Despicable Me came out.

In fact, this July looks positively tame compared to past years. It's pretty unusual for a July to pack less wallop (on paper, anyway) than June does, but that seems to be the case this year. And if the movie turns out to be half as funny as the trailer, Despicable Me is going to go through the roof. It may not do Shrek 2 or Toy Story 3 numbers, but it has a definite shot at $300M.

So, enough exposition. I'll take Despicable Me 2.

And yeah, I know The Hobbit made $300M, and Part 2 probably will too, but I figure the difference between Hobbit 2 and Despicable Me 2 will be minimal when all is said and done.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Despicable Me 2 can hit $300 million if they don't reuse the same jokes that the first one had. If they do, it will have a hard time hitting $200 million.

Also, you think audiences would have tired of the one-note Minions by now.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, the audiences contains a lot of kids, who I would imagine have not tired of the minions by now. They'll probably also want to see the Minions movie when it comes out.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yeah, you know after 6 or 7 sequels, audiences would be tired of those beloved minions by now... wait, you're telling me this is only the SECOND movie that the minions have been used, the sequel to the film where they were universally adored?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

(begin luke skywalker voice) NOOOOOOOOO (End Luke skywalker voice) I was so hoping Despicable Me 2 was going to fall to me. Out of any films so far picked (besides HG), i feel this one has the most potential to break out. If i had second choice, i would have probably gone with this one.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

They are also the official mascot of the production company, appear in commercials for Sharp and Cheetos and are on countless merchandising, Geezer. But do the characters actually serve a purpose (other than be incompetent boobs?).

The good thing about Pixar compared to other companies is that they don't reuse characters over and over to get a cheap buck. Even with Cars (their big cash-cow), they created a universe of characters to avoid depending on Mater to get laughs (if you remember the first film, Mater was not in it that much).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Heck, even the 31 year-old I am is not tired of Minions and want more of them, so let's not talk about kids...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

I like Despicable Me 2 to outgross The Hobbit and Monster's University. I would have picked it there as well. Me likey!

I also think that Star Trek Into Darkness will outgross Man of Steel. Maybe +25 mil.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

Buscemi wrote:I believe Man of Steel has the potential to gross $400 million. You've got excellent trailer reaction, a director who is worshiped like a god producing, a prime Summer release date and not much in the way of competition (unlike Catching Fire, which faces Thor, The Hobbit and Disney's newest).
Well, Man of Steel does have Monster's University and Despicable Me to compete with, though they are animated films. And, as for Catching Fire and that competition you speak of: Thor opens 2 weeks previous to Catching Fire, so I don't think it will eat into its draw too much, The Hobbit opens a full three weeks after Catching Fire's release date and the disney film opens at Thanksgiving and that's been a deathtrap for animated films for several years running.

Still think Man of Steel will do well, but I'm thinking 330-340 mil?
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Hobbit Part 2

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

sigh, im not happy..... not happy bob. I don't like Monsters Inc chances. yes it could be just as big as the first, but i don't think it has any chance to break out. same with hangover 3. Thor 2's trailer was 'yawn' to say the least, i dont think the avengers or iron man 3's supposed good will will help its grosses get any bigger than the first.

I will go with Fast and Furios 6

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Pssh, competition schompetition.

Brave had no problem making $220M against Madagascar 3 and Ice Age 4. Cars 2 still made $190M against Kung Fu Panda 2 and The Smurfs. When Despicable Me came out in 2010, Toy Story 3 only fell 30% that weekend.

And Pixar hasn't had a movie gross less than $190M since the turn of the Millenium?

One for Monsters University please.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Wow, for a second there, I thought I might get Monsters U while picking 9th !!! God job Banks grabbing it right in front of me.
Mmmm... Now this starts to be a bit more delicate for a first round pick... But I'll still go with a "safe" bet. Considering the 1st one managed to grab $180M, I figure that after Avengers's gigantic success, the sequel should be able to go near the $200M bar, and even across it, so... I'll take Thor 2.

Tranny, you're next buddy.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Since the 9 safest choices are gone, I'm going to take a chance on Frozen and Anchorman: The Legend Continues with my first two picks.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Whoa...Anchorman?? That's unexpected.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife