The Official 2012-13 Full Year Draft Thread

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: The Official 2012-13 Full Year Draft Thread

Post by Shrykespeare »

For my final pick (the final pick in the draft), I'll take While We're Young.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, draft's over. Whoever it was that said they had a good waiver wire, create the thread for it.

And also, remind us all what the rules are regarding picking up and dropping films.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Since it's safe to say, here were the two films I didn't pick with my 12th round pick.

Penthouse North (a thriller with Michael Keaton and Michelle Monaghan, directed by Joseph Ruben and to be released by Dimension)

and

For Greater Glory (a war film with Andy Garcia, Oscar Isaac, Eva Longoria and Peter O'Toole, opening wide on June 1st from Arc Entertainment)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Draft's over ! We did it quicker than I thought we would.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yes, less than 2 weeks for 192 picks is quite the achievement. Well done everyone. It was fun.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Ooo, I think taking The Avengers with the 2nd pick is kind of risky...

ahhhahahahahahahahahaha!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote:Not really. wouldnt have been my first choice as i think other movies have greater potential, but it will pass $300m with ease and could hit $400m. Its a safe pick, but not one which i think will go really big.
HAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAHHAHAAAAAHAAAHAHHAAAA!!!!!!!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Hey, I'll hold my hands up there, but I don't think anyone even just a few weeks ago expected these record breaking numbers. Tell me this, had you had first pick on the draft, would you have taken The Avengers? Or were you/ are you expecting the likes of TDKR or The Hobbit to be even bigger? Benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Buscemi wrote:Definitely The Hobbit. The prequel to the Lord of the Rings movies, it's in 3-D and had a great teaser. Also, many early predictions have it passing The Avengers.
I just think it's really funny that some people thought that the Avengers was risky and now it's a lock for 500, not 400 million. What a tremendous pick. We're all in an almost impossible to overcome hole and its only 10 days into the contest! I would have taken it second like Tranny did, and TDKR can still beat it, I just think its funny. The Avengers was always going to obliterate every Marvel movie that came before it. People have been on the edge of their seat waiting for this since Iron Man 1.

It just seems silly that there were ANY doubts now that it has almost hit 400 million after 10 days.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I don't think I ever called The Avengers risky, and I presume Banks didn't intend it to be taken in that way, but I called it the opposite in fact, safe. I knew it would be a lock for at least $350m, so it was always going to be a decent pick, I just thought the posibilities for The Hobbit were bigger. It may still be the case, we have already had two record breakers this year already, there may be a few more to come...

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

My question: if Marvel knew they had a big thing with The Avengers, why didn't they make that movie first? It now renders everything before it as pointless.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi wrote:My question: if Marvel knew they had a big thing with The Avengers, why didn't they make that movie first? It now renders everything before it as pointless.
Ummm...you have to introduce the characters to the public before just using them. Not having to waste time on back stories on everyone made The Avengers all the better.

Just imagine how much would had have to been cut if we had to explain who Thor was, who Bruce Banner was, who Tony Stark was, who Hawkeye was, who Captain America was, etc etc.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Geezer wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Ooo, I think taking The Avengers with the 2nd pick is kind of risky...

ahhhahahahahahahahahaha!
NOBODY thought The Avengers would perform like it has been.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I highly doubt Marvel knew how succesful it would become, and even then, without the backstories giving the film a plot, and the general audience awareness due to those movies, The Avengers would never have been as big as it is. The previous films were required to introduce the characters to general audiences who knew little of Iron Man other than it was possibly a Black Sabbath song. Or Thor was more than just a Norse God of war. Theose movies were essential for building up awareness and good will towards the franchise.

It's like saying, "Hey, Peter Jackson must have know the third LOTR movie would be the biggest, why not just skip the first two and reap all the success in one movie".

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

silversurfer19 wrote:
It's like saying, "Hey, Peter Jackson must have know the third LOTR movie would be the biggest, why not just skip the first two and reap all the success in one movie".
Actually, that was the original intention. New Line only decided to make it three after they liked Jackson's pitch.