The Official 2012-13 Full Year Draft Thread

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: The Official 2012-13 Full Year Draft Thread

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm sure I would have picked THe Hobbit before The Avengers had I been in Tranny's spot. Congrats to him, he's the man to take down now ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote:
It's like saying, "Hey, Peter Jackson must have know the third LOTR movie would be the biggest, why not just skip the first two and reap all the success in one movie".
Actually, that was the original intention. New Line only decided to make it three after they liked Jackson's pitch.
Er, I think the original intention was to tell the entire story in one or two films, not actually skip the Fellowship part.

As for The Avengers, I presume Marvel weren't sure about it being a massive success so tested the water with Iron Man. With that a success the plan was to make other Avenger films in order to build hype for when they all come together. These films are all a giant marketing strategy, and one that paid off.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yeah Boosh, the reason the Avengers was this big of a success is BECAUSE they made all those other films to build the anticipation over a course of several years. The longer you make them wait, the more eager they become. But they managed to keep the anticipation high by giving those waiting a taste once or twice a year, of the payoff to come. Marvel could not have played this better, and the results speak to that.

This will still be a 3 horse race, and then will get interesting to see who wins the best of the rest.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
Geezer wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Ooo, I think taking The Avengers with the 2nd pick is kind of risky...

ahhhahahahahahahahahaha!
NOBODY thought The Avengers would perform like it has been.
That's completely true, when I took it I was figuring for about 300-350 mil total. I could not be happier with The Avengers results and I hope some of my later picks can help me maintain the lead.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Letting Men In Black 3 fall to 11(!!!!) was a mistake for all those involved. I'll bet my balls MIB3 outgrosses The Croods, Ice Age 3, and Oz (although Oz should be the closest contender.

Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

Well, it outgrossed 2 out of the 3, so that should allow you to keep at least 1 of your balls.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

It was my second choice to Oz at my pick, so I'm glad I went the direction I did. Although if I had went with my third choice, Skyfall, I would have done better.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude