The Official 2011-12 Full Year Draft Thread

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: The Official 2011-12 Full Year Draft Thread

Post by Buscemi »

I'm surprised that no one is surprised by my pick of Dredd.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I''d actually forgotten it was being released so soon. It should make some decent money despite the Stallone version. It's a popular character and Vantage Point was succesful for the director (as well as having Alex Garland writing the screenplay). It should do ok.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i was so going to pick that next, banks. Oh i love How'ls moving Castle, It was Ponyo and Tales of Earthsea that i didn't like. They were a waste of time.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Tales Of Earthsea is not a Hayao Miyazaki movie, so i don't count that as one of the true Ghibli movies. I've just noticed Arietty isn't one of his either, so that certainly lessens my interest in it.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

What is Man on a Ledge's release date?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

BOM has 13th Jan 2012

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

silversurfer19 wrote:Tales Of Earthsea is not a Hayao Miyazaki movie, so i don't count that as one of the true Ghibli movies. I've just noticed Arietty isn't one of his either, so that certainly lessens my interest in it.
But unlike Tales of Earthsea, Arrietty didn't get shelved for four years and have a large amount of negative reviews.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

On what do you base the positive reviews? It has none on RT, and it's imdb score is actually 0.1 lower than Ponyo, which was generally middling.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Ponyo got a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. Hardly middling.

As for Arrietty and reviews, I was just making a statement. Early buzz has been good (any negative word is mostly due to the fact that following Miyazaki is a tough act to follow) and it grossed $110 million in Japan (despite facing Toy Story 3 on opening weekend, which had a cameo by Totoro).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

silversurfer19 wrote:Tales Of Earthsea is not a Hayao Miyazaki movie, so i don't count that as one of the true Ghibli movies. I've just noticed Arietty isn't one of his either, so that certainly lessens my interest in it.
Actually, he co-wrote and produced it. Also, he helped with the direction (serving as a mentor for when the director had trouble with a scene).

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Buscemi wrote:Ponyo got a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. Hardly middling.

As for Arrietty and reviews, I was just making a statement. Early buzz has been good (any negative word is mostly due to the fact that following Miyazaki is a tough act to follow) and it grossed $110 million in Japan (despite facing Toy Story 3 on opening weekend, which had a cameo by Totoro).

yea but howl's and spirited away made over $200M worldwide, yet they made about $10M in the sates, or less i think

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Those were limited releases (Spirited Away only got a wide run after winning an Oscar...six months after it was released). Arrietty is going wide.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aw man, I was hoping no one would see Man on a Ledge got a release date. Dang.

As for Dredd, I suspect it will be a Summer 2012 release. I could totally see it coming out in Jun or August

As for Arrietty, the highest a Ghibli movie has made in the US is 15 mil (Ponyo). Even Spirited Away only made $10mil. Don't know where you got the $18mil figure, Boosch. Anyway, I'd say 15 mil is Arrietty's limit, and at best it'll squeeze out about 10.

Marilyn and Me was on my list, but I kept shunning from it. Unless it gets stellar reviews it may not break out of a limited release.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I thought I saw it listed at $18 million. But anyway, Spirited Away and Ponyo had very small marketing campaigns and the latter was not officially announced as going wide until a few weeks before opening. If Disney announces a release date and a wide release this early, that definitely means it will be getting a much bigger release than those two.

And on Dredd, it's scheduled to open in the UK in December. That will probably mean a late Winter release in the US (with a trailer attached to fellow comic book adaptation Conan The Barbarian).

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Arrietty is a good film. I've seen it a few months ago, and it's a good Ghibli film, although it's far from the best. It's more aimed at children, like Ponyo, compared to Chihiro or Howl's Moving Castle. I don't see it making more money than the previous Ghiblis.
Fluctuat nec mergitur