2011-12 Full Year Draft

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Re: 2011-12 Full Year Draft

Post by BarcaRulz »

Sorry guys, had no idea this was going on again. I'm definitely in..

When will the draft order be decided?

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Draft order will be fully decided on Sunday night.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Are you guys excited for this year? I am... with only a few films that are guaranteed hits, this year promises to be wide open.

Which of you guys were around when Fantasy Moguls FIRST started, when the only leagues were "draft" leagues? (We're talking fall of '06.) I used to get so excited on draft days!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I was around. I remember dropping Borat from one league. Oh dear. And picking INLAND EMPIRE as I thought it would be a PTA hit when I didn't realise there was a 10 theatre rule.

Ultimately I still think the slate system is way better and way fairer, but this could be a bit of fun, especially when trying to predict the hits later on.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I wasn't around for it, but a three month draft league has to be way less fair than what we do now or the full year as at least there are comprable big films throughout each year and the guys at the bottom should be able to pick up two big hits as opposed to one giant one.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Hmmm.. even with a year the last 2 are at a huge disadvantage in that they're really going to have to bag to surprises to compete. That's always the problem with a draft system unless there's multiple guaranteed hits but between now and next April, there's only about 5 surefire 300mil hits

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I don't know that it's a HUGE disadvantage. The person who picks 1st won't pick again until 18th. Assume that the 1st pick makes $350M, and with there usually being around 20-25 blockbusters per year, the #9 and #10 picks could add up to somewhere in the $300-$350 range. The 18th pick might make $100M, so #1+#19 > #9+#10, but it won't be by an insurmountable number.

This is where having 14 picks may indeed come into play. You could bag a film that you expect to make only $15-$20M and it ends up making $60-$70 (or more).
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i am looking forward to it too. but i have to agree, being last has it's disadvantages but then again, it just brings more challenge with it which also makes it fun.

I wasn't around when the draft leagues were still up. i registered in march of 07, but i actually didn't play my first game until the may 07 league i didn't know how to play and sort of forgot about it. and still not knowing what i was doing my second try i had a slate of Spiderman 3, Pirates 3, and 28 weeks later. wow i can hardly believe it's four years now.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I started in the very same league, UDM. I thought a box office slate of Spider Man, Pirates and Shrek would be unbeatable, but unfortunately I didn't realise how much of the game is based on strategy rather than just picking three big movies. Obviously four years down the line and still without a victory in any league bar the bankrupts shows I haven't learned too much....

I'm looking forward to this year though. With first pick I know I HAVE to pick the biggest movie of the year, as my next pick is a long way down the line. It's difficult though, I'm not quite sure which it will be. There are two surefire $300m hits, another 3 or 4 which could hit it or come very close, then a whole host of movies between $150-$200m. I don't know if there will be any left in that range when it gets round to my next go, but hopefully there's something I can pull out of the bag. I'm not sure there's gonna be a King's Speech or Black Swan this year though, as most of the oscar hopefuls around that time of year appear to be blockbuster movies anyway, so finding a diamond in the rough will be difficult.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

I remember the very beginning and i do agree that the draft style was much more exciting, the only thing that i found frustrating about it though was the time difference between me and the U.S. which made it very difficult to submit the titles i really wanted without missing my turn. Just out of curiosity how did everybody find out about Moguls?? I think i found it through IMDB as a link or something.
"Then telephone for an axe"

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

IMDb had a partnership (or something) with FM and that's how I found out about it. At the time, I was looking for something like fantasy sports, but with something else. The other things I found, quite frankly, sucked. But this was pretty awesome considering my Econ background. Plus, I found the roto league pretty cool at the time, though I didn't completely understand PTA in the beginning.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

me too! i saw a link on IMDb

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah, I came through IMdB too.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2