2018-19 Full Year Slates (Division B)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Re: 2018-19 Full Year Slates (Division B)

Post by NicodemustheSage »

I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them did win an Oscar (somehow) and Jon Voight was in that.

But anyway, I don't really think the Academy is that progressive. The fact that they were willing to gloss over that time Gary Oldman made those anti-Semitic comments and give him an Oscar is proof of this.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

They are certainly inconsistent. And in some ways more conservative than my description allowed.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

NicodemustheSage wrote:Don't beat yourself up too bad. I haven't played in this League before, but one thing I figured out before I began drafting six and a half months ago: You cannot rely on the ONE BIG TITLE alone.
Very true, it's been my motto in this game for years. You win the game, or at least finish on the podium, with the picks you make after the obvious juggernauts are picked, rounds 3 - 7 or something like that. After that it's too late, unless you're very lucky, and you won't lose your chance because you didn't get one of the biggest films in the first round.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I agree that the game isn't won in the 1st 2 rounds, but if you don't hit on at least 4 of your first 6 picks, you're pretty much screwed.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

It would be interesting to find out -- perhaps some intrepid data miner has this statistic at their fingertips, or Speare's Tips, already -- what the LEAST-grossing top-performing movie was, that led a winning Full Year Box Office slate to victory. $200M? Less?

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

NicodemustheSage wrote:It would be interesting to find out -- perhaps some intrepid data miner has this statistic at their fingertips, or Speare's Tips, already -- what the LEAST-grossing top-performing movie was, that led a winning Full Year Box Office slate to victory. $200M? Less?

--Nico.
The first year I did this in 2014-2015, I won Division B with X-Men: Days of Future Past as my top performer ($233.9M). If that's not as low as it goes, it's probably close.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

That's pretty impressive. What were your top five earners? (I could probably look this up, but I'd much rather you tell your story. ;) )

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Off the top of my head, I know 1-3 was DoFP, Big Hero 6 and Gone Girl. Don’t really remember the rest, it just had a little money in a bunch of places (I got John Wick on waivers that year).

No chance could a slate like that could win now though with all the blockbusters out there.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Ah yes, 2014. When the year's biggest film was an R-rated military hagiography, Independence Day didn't have a single $100 million grosser, and Cameron Diaz's career died in one fell swoop after several hits.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Yeah, "American Sniper" did gonzo biz. By far the highest-grosser of Clint's career, yes?

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Because of BOM's abbreviated list this weekend, I'm not going to list any film as "done" until after the holidays are over.

The ratman cometh...

STANDINGS (WEEK 34/52)

1. UDM - $1,221,429,665 (7 films - Crazy Rich Asians, A Star is Born, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, The Favourite, Mary Queen of Scots, Ben is Back, Mortal Engines; 4 finished)
2. Shryke - $816,899,598 (3 films - The House with a Clock in its Walls, Beautiful Boy, Bumblebee; 7 finished)
3. W - $785,640,302 (4 films - Smallfoot, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, Overlord, Instant Family; 5 finished)
4. Nicodemus - $775,926,322 (7 films - Halloween, Indivisible, Bohemian Rhapsody, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald, The Possession of Hannah Grace, The Mule, Aquaman; 8 finished)
5. transformers - $646,918,855 (4 films - Night School, The Hate U Give, First Man, Dr. Seuss' The Grinch; 5 finished)
6. Brockster - $645,071,012 (2 films - The Girl in the Spider's Web, Once Upon a Deadpool; 8 finished)
7. Banks - $641,551,917 (9 films - The Sisters Brothers, Suspiria, Green Book, Creed 2, Vox Lux, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Mary Poppins Returns, Welcome to Marwen, Second Act; 5 finished)
8. weissac - $640,755,988 (1 film - Robin Hood; 6 finished)
9. Ron B - $605,840,853 (7 films - The Old Man and the Gun, Venom, Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween, Nobody's Fool, Boy Erased, Widows, Ralph Breaks the Internet; 3 finished)
10. Surfer - $214,227,276 (2 films - The Front Runner, If Beale Street Could Talk; 4 finished)

The following films would appear to be done:

12/28:
Holmes & Watson (Brockster, 3rd round)
Vice (Brockster, 8th round)
On the Basis of Sex (UDM, 9th round)
Destroyer (W, 15th round)
Stan & Ollie (UDM, WW)

1/4:
Escape Room (transformers, WW)

1/11:
A Dog's Way Home (transformers, 8th round)
Replicas (Brockster, 11th round)
The Upside (Banks, WW)[/quote]

1/18:
Glass (Surfer, 3rd round)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Ehh, I think UDM's still very much the odds-on favorite to pull out a win in this Division. And with "Bumblebee", "The Informer", "Captive State" and "Pet Sematary", you could hold me off... Just. Banks, who I thought might have the best second half of the entire Division, is running into some headwinds. trans MIGHT be able to make a run at it... But I doubt it will be enough.

So, yeah: UDM, you, and me, Shryke. One of us is going to win this thing. I REALLY wish I knew if the long-untitled STX action film slotted in for January 25 was "Kursk". This movie is starting to make my freaking teeth itch.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm sure that the untitled STX is getting pushed and I'm convinced it was intended to be Den of Thieves 2. At this point, I'm thinking Kursk will end up on Netflix or with another distributor (my best guess is that Cohen Media Group or the newly-formed company headed by former STX people gets it if Netflix doesn't). STX got out of releasing festival-type movies after Hardcore Henry and Desierto (both Toronto pickups in 2015) flopped* and I'm not sure if Kursk would do any business outside of the big cities. In addition, early word is rather mixed (53 on Metacritic).

* - Their Finest was the result of the short-lived distribution deal with EuropaCorp. STX only distributed the film while EuropaCorp bought the film and paid for prints and advertising.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Interesting. Well, if the first weekend in January rolls around and still no movement on "Kursk" or that 1/25 date, I will drop it for... Something.

Probably.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.