2017-18 Full Year Slates (Division A)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: 2017-18 Full Year Slates (Division A)

Post by Chienfantome »

I think the first four places are pretty set in stone now. It won't change. And as expected, we're all in the same $100M, between Spectre at #1 and Six at #4. It was quite a race.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Shrykespeare wrote:And Spectre takes the lead. Well played, Sir.
Well played in the first round, the rest is highly debatable. :lol: But thanks regardless!

Didn't think I'd have a chance this year after winning last year and getting that low draft slot.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Two wins in a row ! So you'll be the man to beat this year again !!!
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

So i had seen someone ask this question, but now i can't find it or the response if anyone did respond to it.

when does avengers start counting towards our new year draft?

as for our current draft only the first weekend counts right?

so do we start counting from monday, or only on friday may 4th?

i'm so confused. i really wish i wasn't first pick..... wish i was second.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Avengers counts in the 2017/2018 draft.
We only draft films that open from May, so Avengers won't be available for the next draft as it opens in April, during this year's draft.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chienfantome wrote:Avengers counts in the 2017/2018 draft.
We only draft films that open from May, so Avengers won't be available for the next draft as it opens in April, during this year's draft.

Not true. Because of the Avengers moving to the final week of April, we are instituting a new rule. If someone wants to draft a previously released movie, they can. But, using Avengers as an example, the Box Office numbers won't kick in until the second weekend officially begins (5/4). So if you estimate Infinity war will make $600M in its total run but $300M in its first seven days, that's still $300M for the picking.

I don't anticipate any other previously released films will be selected. Any film not chosen prior to Friday, May 4, will therefore not have its numbers kick in until the FOLLOWING Friday, May 11. By that time, all the wide-release films prior to Avengers will have petered out pretty well.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

so the $100M it'll earn between monday and thursday is just down the drain... it seems so sad

so much anxiety.....

what's the rule on trading picks?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

undeadmonkey wrote: what's the rule on trading picks?
Not sure we've ever REALLY done it before... I don't want to make this like the NFL draft.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

undeadmonkey wrote:so the $100M it'll earn between monday and thursday is just down the drain... it seems so sad

so much anxiety.....

what's the rule on trading picks?
Do what you want. As long as you're not cheating somehow, trading picks is fine. I think we need to stay in the current year as well, so must trade 2018-19 for 2018-19.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare wrote:
Chienfantome wrote:Avengers counts in the 2017/2018 draft.

Not true. Because of the Avengers moving to the final week of April, we are instituting a new rule. If someone wants to draft a previously released movie, they can. But, using Avengers as an example, the Box Office numbers won't kick in until the second weekend officially begins (5/4). So if you estimate Infinity war will make $600M in its total run but $300M in its first seven days, that's still $300M for the picking.

I don't anticipate any other previously released films will be selected. Any film not chosen prior to Friday, May 4, will therefore not have its numbers kick in until the FOLLOWING Friday, May 11. By that time, all the wide-release films prior to Avengers will have petered out pretty well.
I had absolutely no idea we were going that way this year, I thought we were doing as usual.
It seemed fairer that way as we usually can only pick films without knowing if it's gonna be a success or not, or at least how big a success in case of blockbusters.
So this new rule now means you're drafting a film already released, already banking money, and you can already know more or less, but with a certain precision, how much it will make overall. I think I would have preferred if we had done as we always do, only pick films released from the 1st weekend of May, to remain the fairest possible for all players, but if it was decided that way, I'll follow the majority.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I don't like it either, Chien, believe me. However, the majority decided that to have a Top 5 movie ruled ineligible because the asshats at Marvel decided to start the summer season on week early would be a huge waste. It's for this reason that we would be starting Avengers' tally on the second Friday of its release rather than on the day it's actually drafted. There is every possibility that, after the OW we all expect, it may not even get picked #1. It may fall as far as #3 or even #5, depending on what everyone thinks its dropoff will be. If it pulls that $250M OW, it could conceivably make as much as $500M more, or it could peter out like Ultron and only make as little as $250M. That's a huge difference.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

What worries me is I have absolutely no recollection of such a debate amongst us. I either missed it or starting getting senile. I hope it's the former.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

As Dolphins never was released, I'm gonna drop it for Disobedience. Watch out Spectre!

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Chienfantome wrote:What worries me is I have absolutely no recollection of such a debate amongst us. I either missed it or starting getting senile. I hope it's the former.
I do remember the debate, but I don't remember when we had it or where so does that make me senile too :D

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay...

In order to settle this, let's take a poll RIGHT NOW.

Who is in favor of allowing previously-released films to be drafted?

Any previously-released film chosen would only take effect beginning the immediate Friday AFTER being drafted. Any previously-released film drafted on a Friday or later will not have its take counted until the following Friday.

Because of the speed of the draft, it's likely only Avengers would be drafted, as all other films will likely have petered out by then.

Let your voice be heard now.

I personally am in favor of it. I hate that Marvel made this necessary, but we have to adapt.