Ultimate Year Long Auction League Oct-Dec

All league discussion for the currently in-play seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: Ultimate Year Long Auction League Oct-Dec

Post by W »

Well, I don't think I'll continue this league. Banks and I are the only ones to sent in bids. I won 14 films including Fantastic Beasts and Rogue One for $26 each and Moana and Dr. Strange for $9 each. Also $1 each for Arrival and Sing.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Is this officially started ? I had the impression this was still some sort of practice or something, I didn't realize this was official, if it is.
(I honestly still haven't figured out how to exactly play this game but I didn't have time to really look into the rules again)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Your call, but I still like the idea. I'm pretty happy with the movies I got too :)

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

W wrote:Well, I don't think I'll continue this league. Banks and I are the only ones to sent in bids. I won 14 films including Fantastic Beasts and Rogue One for $26 each and Moana and Dr. Strange for $9 each. Also $1 each for Arrival and Sing.
So here's my take as someone who loves auction drafts, loves the full year draft and yet knew of this and didn't submit any bids (because I'm sure it's frustrating for you to have 2 people submit).

The current format is overwhelming. Like, ridiculously overwhelming.

I find the full year draft is a lot but it's just enough of a deep dive. It's an intense but not unreasonable amount of research. This feels like a lot more.

Yes, you're drafting from a more limited pool each draft but that's about it. You're drafting almost 3x the films. You have to evaluate for Top 5, PTA, and IMDb on top of box office (which means the schedule component needs a LOT more research), then value those films appropriately off of a $500 budget with 40 slots (that all should be filled to maximize IMDb) in order to make a blind bid and then evaluate your 40 film slate against others. And that will include PTA releases since rosters are so deep.

If I had to make a suggestion for a FY Ultimate draft, this is a rough shot of what I think it would look like...

10 teams
8 film slate
$100 budget
Entire year of films open to the league
8 rounds of auctions. Each round, players blind submit three films. The top film on each list gets nominated starting at $1 (and move down the list if it's already been nominated)... so 10 films are being bid on at the same time. Each round is held over a 48 hour window, blind bids are allowed but not required. As slates fill up, players with full rosters are unable to nominate. So... if in the 8th round, only 3 people have the 8 open slots, they nominate everything between them.
After the draft, a snake draft is done for two rounds to take bench films (to replace one on their roster in case something moves). If you run out of everything... draft better :P

Just a thought. I love the thought behind your original format but I'd wager it's too much for a lot of people, myself included.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't understand how it's complicated. The ratio of films per dollar are the same as normal, so you should expect about the same amount per film assuming the pricing committee did well. You really should only be looking at value, especially early on.

I think your proposed was limits the amount of arthouse films that will be picked. They become way to risky and mostly irrelevant. To me, they're what make this Ultimate.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

W wrote:I don't understand how it's complicated. The ratio of films per dollar are the same as normal, so you should expect about the same amount per film assuming the pricing committee did well. You really should only be looking at value, especially early on.

I think your proposed was limits the amount of arthouse films that will be picked. They become way to risky and mostly irrelevant. To me, they're what make this Ultimate.
It's complicated because of the amount of depth in the league. You wanted to abandon the league because only you and Banks submitted blind bids. But you also got bids from UDM, Six, Walleye and Ron.

That's 6 players and 240 movies for the year. For the current timeframe, you listed 61 movies as eligible. Projecting that to full year means there will be about 240 movies to choose from. It's ultimate, so you need a full slate to get max value. That means that your game is already at max capacity of players. You just needed everyone to bid on every film (which no one will do because some of these films are garbage). Now try to value those films and be sure to get them for your valuation in blind bidding. That's really hard.

If you want to make the current format work, add more people and cut down on the numbers of films. Maybe 10 players x 20 films. I get wanting arthouses to be picked but taking 200 films would still allow plenty to be taken and there's no reason someone should have to bid on something like Desierto with its 5.6 IMDb rating and limited prospects just because someone has to in order for everyone to fill 60 slots.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

theres another reason only 2 people submitted blind bids. people forget.

if we all were on a free communication device for our mobile phones. say line.

The trouble with creating a new game on an outdated system: The internet. Is that it lacks access, if i got a message saying. you just got outbidded, my natural response is to drop whatever im doing and evaluate if i need to outbif
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

theres another reason only 2 people submitted blind bids. people forget.

if we all were on a free communication device for our mobile phones. say line.

The trouble with creating a new game on an outdated system: The internet. Is that it lacks access, if i got a message saying. you just got outbidded, my natural response is to drop whatever im doing and evaluate if i need to outbid. usually i just outbid, because i wanted that movie in the first place.

ofc. we cant just create an app for this. but im sure we all have smartphones, cant we take advantage of them?

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

i forgot about the deadline. i admit it.

i would have bidded on dr strange for $20 and beastsbfor $30 though

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

As much as I'm enjoying my winning bids, I think we shouldn't really start. There needs to be a bigger build-up if this game is to be worth its while. We need at least 10 people playing and bidding. Maybe we need a sign-up sheet first, and as Ron said some activity on social media. Maybe not a whole new app to install and moniter, but maybe just across Facebook?

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I've always wondered if this community could work in a group messaging type form. you could have different group chats for the different conversations. The only problem is making sure you add everyone to each chat. Also you have the problem of adding new people, but i don' think we've had a new person join in quite some time.

another idea would be a business chat app like slack. it's easy enough to add someone to the app and then they have access to all chat groups unless it's a private app.

either way, i kinda agree with Ron. it would make it much easier to repsond to things, bids, our even the regular draft, if it showed up and i got notifications on my phone.