May-July Bankrupts League

All league discussion for the currently in-play seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: May-July Bankrupts League

Post by undeadmonkey »

First off, considering some didn't read the rules (don't worry, we don't hold it against you ;) ) and i want this to be as fair and as fun as possible. I am lowering the amount of dollars spent to $90, (sorry its so huge, but i want everyone to see it) that is how everyone had been playing so far. also you can't save a slate that is less than $90, but you can save a slate that is less than $95. being that there is no way to tell how much money someone has spent, as the numbers shown under ever slate is different, this will make it fair.

I'm sorry that i'm changing it after the first weekend, but we didn't find out about this problem until friday when the films were locked already.

Not much to update this first weekend. Tied in first place are Leestu, Undeadmonkey, Hartigan, Shrykespear and Thswrestler160, who thought that any film opening on the first weekend had too much of a chance to get some numbers. After all, the one with zero numbers would win ;). In the last 3 places are donnie, Theantman and Bestfilm, who have had 2, 2 and 3 films open. While in a regular slate the picks would be mediocre to downright awful, in this special league they might be mediocre or awful in a different way, only time will tell.

Nobody thought Thor was going to flop, but quite a few people think this weekends offerings are going to stink up the place. 10 out of 15 have chosen Priest and 3 out of 15 have bridesmaids.

bestfilm
Donnie Darko

Post by bestfilm »

I see I'm famous here :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I' ve already played several flopbuster leagues and the limit has been always was 90, so i haven't even thought to come here to read the official rules...if from the next league limit becomes 95 it's gonna be very difficult...

Anyway I risked 5 small releases in the first two weeks and they have respected my expectations...now I hope the 3 big ones are underpermorfing...

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

yes, we have always played as such but it's ok.

also very risky move, but it could pay off if your big movies flop.

I'll be doing updates tomorrow again. i think i'll stick to doing them every wednesday.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

so‚ are we switching to 90 from now on or just this time? i wouldnt mind making it a fifth regular league offically or unofficially and whichever format.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Oh, the budget is $90 and not $95 ?
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

for this league we are switching it to 90.

I'm not worrying about future leagues at this moment. i figure we can take a vote later on or whatnot and have a decisive number we play with in the future.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't know if it'd be an easy fix or not considering that the Italians play it at 90, the computer allows slates from 90-94, and this is an ultimate league there's no real way enforce a 95 rule.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

W wrote:I don't know if it'd be an easy fix or not considering that the Italians play it at 90, the computer allows slates from 90-94, and this is an ultimate league there's no real way enforce a 95 rule.

exactly, thats why i figured it would be more fair this way

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Okay, I need to change my slate then, as I played it for $95 !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Here is our update

took longer this week than usual to get the slates updated, but it's all good.

In last place we now have the antman, donnie and buscemi who pushed last weeks last placer bestfilm to fourth place. Buscemi and Brockster decided to keep onto Bridesmaids which wont do them any favors. 12 of us, up from 10 last week, also decided to keep Priest. while it resulted in very few numbers, the impact of it lessens a bit with so many of us having it on our slate.

In first place with the most absolute worst slate, so far, is thswrestler whose only film to open is Skateland, which was a truly awful film, numbers-wise at least.

only one person has a movie opening this weekend and that is Shryke with Pirates 4. Interesting, very interesting.

hmmm, there isn't much to this updating thing, it seems a little lame as everyone can just go look at the standings. I still would like to do it, but does anyone have any ideas which could make it more fun or exciting?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Even with a $90 budget, I still had to pick at least two films over $20.

I picked Pirates because I think it will ultimately underwhelm. It'll do huge numbers in its OW, then it will drop to #3 next week and #4 the week after. Apart from that, I think the only other film on my slate that will win its weekend is Super 8. My other wide-release picks (Judy Moody, Monte Carlo, Friends With Benefits, The Smurfs) are pretty much guaranteed to never be higher than #2.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Monte Carlo and Friends With Benefits are bonafide duds. The Smurfs actually has a shot at opening in first (the director's last film, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, opened to over $30 million back in 2008).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I may change it, depending on how other films track. Got plenty of time.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

time for an update, we have three brave people with films opening this weekend. Three have Xmen: First Class and one has Love Marriage something or other.

1st place we have Thswrestler, who has only had Skateland open. Although things might change this weekend as he is one of the two that has Xmen.

tied in 2nd place are leestu, hartigan and chien, who have only had Priest open on their slates so far

and in third place is me, UDM, who has had skateland and priest open, but that will change this week as well as i have a movie opening too. can you guess which one?

3rd Last is bestfilm, he has had 6 films open so far, one of them being Hangover 2

with the league 2 weeks away from half over, we are finally going to see more films opening, i expect places to change pretty quickly.
2nd last is buscemi, who has had 3 films open so far, his best choice being Bridesmaid, who would have ever thought it would do so well.

and in last we have donnie, who has had 4 films open , one of them also being Hangover 2.

thswrestler160
Private Pyle

Post by thswrestler160 »

I'm feeling pretty confident about that X men pick considering early estimates have it at around 60m this weekend. Id say 9 top 5 and 5 pta for 21 bucks is a great bankrupts pick