May-July Bankrupts League

All league discussion for the currently in-play seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: May-July Bankrupts League

Post by silversurfer19 »

What about the box office takings though of probably in the region of $160-70m for $21. I think Super 8 is a much better pick for a similar price, as it opens closer to Cars, Transformers and HP, which will take much of its audience.

thswrestler160
Private Pyle

Post by thswrestler160 »

ya I think super 8 has a chance at going 1,2,3,5 for 13 top 5 assuming that its good and something other than bridesmaids can hold for a damn this year. Also I expect Xmen and Super 8 to end up about the same as far as box office and Imdb rating. Xmen will open a little higher but I expect super 8 to hold better.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

X-Men should get a minimum of 11 Top 5 Points (OW 5, W2 4, W3 2) and it's BO potential is about 150 MIL at this stage

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Sorry for not updating last week, i was traveling.

This weekend only has one person, englishozzy, who does not have one or more films opening on their slates.

13 of 17 have The Green Lantern, I guess those 4 that didn't have it had more insight than the rest of us. It should at least do The Incredible Hulk numbers or maybe even Fantastic 4 #s. :oops:

12 out of us have chosen Mr Poppers Penguins, which looks like money well wasted, with a high teens opening weekend and Cars 2 opening next weekend, it looks like these penguins will melt fast.

Lastly we have one person who has The Art of Getting By, and it just happens to be our good friend Shryke. While Getting By was pretty cheap, he seems to be getting even cheaper returns, so good choice. :D

tied in 1st place we now have Hartigan and Chienfantome who overtook thswrestler, who is now all the way in 9th. Hartigan and Chien so far have only had Priest and Judy Moody open so far. Game wise, they sure aren't having a bummer summer. {cringe} ;) . They do however have Green Lantern and Penguins opening, but with so many other people having them as well, they might be able to hold onto the top spot.

2nd place is latecomer RonBurgandy, Everyone welcome him, who i think only joined us two weeks ago. He has had Super 8 and Viva Rive open, with Green Lantern joining them this week. Joining this late he has had to choose one of the big three films opening this summer to spend the required amount of money to qualify, good luck sabotaging and scaring people away from Transformers 3 showings, i'm sure some of us would love to help ya, quite a few of us hates T2.

in 3rd, is Numbersix, who has had Priest and Something Borrowed open so far. nice stinkers so far, man. He also has Green Lantern and Poppers on his slate.

In dead last, well, 2nd and 3rd dead last too, we have bestfilm, buscemi and donnie, respectively. who have all had an array of films open.

Bestfilm is actually opening his last film this weekend, green lantern, but his choice of hangover 2 has set him back mightily. There is next to no chance for him to win the league, but i think he is devising devious ways to not be in last place. Maybe he is the one who keeps getting groups of people to go see Bridesmaids, as that film is the one that has been weighing boosch's slate down. He only needs 4 more points to overtake bestfilm.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeaaaaah, I'm good at bankrupts... for now !! ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

The 2011 Official Summer Bankrupts league is two-thirds done, but there is still plenty of game left to play.

This weekend we have 10 people with films opening.
We have undeadmonkey, ColoredXIII, and thswrestler160 who have chosen Larry Crowne, which so far seems like a pretty good pick.

We also have thswrestler160, ColoredXIII, numbersix_99, Shrykespeare, silversurfer19, Ron_Burgundy, Hartigan, Buscemi3, _donnie_ and undeadmonkey with Monte Carlo, which we all knew would be a stinker.

Lastly, we have one brave soul who had to pick Transformers 3 to be able to spend enough money to qualify. Good luck, Ron ;)

tied in 1st place we still have Hartigan and Chienfantome, who have an almost identical slate with 7 of the same movies. So far, the have had Priest, Judy Moody, Green Lantern and Penguins open. Hartigan has Monte Carlo, while Chein opted for Friends with Benefits. They also have Zookeeper, Horrible Bosses, and Winnie the Pooh left.

2nd place is Thswrestler160 who seems to have a fantastic (by which i mean awful, obviously) slate. He has had, Skateland, Xmen, Judy Moody, Poppers Penguins open. Monte Carlo and Larry Crowne are opening this weekend. After that, he only has Zookeeper and Pooh left. As i am host of this grand game, i support all players and don't point out favorites, but ifn't i wasn't, I would definitely say he is the frontrunner at the moment.

in 3rd is Coloredxiii, so far on his slate, he has had something borrowed, priest, super 8 and penguins open. With Carlo and Crowne joining them this weekend.

and now for the fun rankings.

in 3rd last we have Buscemi3, who just can't seem to catch a break. On paper, his slate looks (or looked, i suppose) like a pretty strong slate. But the woman have come out in force this summer supporting Bridesmaids and Bad Teacher. If it weren't fer them bumpkin picks, :roll: i don't doubt he would be near the top.

2nd last is Brockster, This is his first time in the bottom three. everyone give him a round of applause. it ain't easy bein bad. Up till now he was able to stay out of the bottom three, even though he had Bridesmaids, with the pretty bad picks of Jumping the Broom, Judy Moody, Penguins and Green Lantern, but last week he also decided to stay with Bad Teacher which pushed him over the top, errr bottom?

and in last, we have Bestfilm, whose choice of the Hangover 2 just really set him back. to be honest and fair though, the rest of his slate is pretty stinky, it was just that Hangover 2 was too good.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I don't think I'll stay well placed like this til the end !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I think I'm still in with a chance, got to wait for everyone to get their movies out, with me only having Pooh left, but I'm right in there. And I do have a history in this game, 3 participations, two wins and one second....

It is the ONLY game I'm good at on here!

ColoredXIII
J.J Gittes

Post by ColoredXIII »

congrats to thewrestler... he did a truly shitty slate :)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

agreed!

thswrestler160
Private Pyle

Post by thswrestler160 »

well thank you. Just wish I was as good at picking good movies as bad ones. now when can we start another one?!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Want to do Sep-Nov, or wait for Oct-Dec to get all the winter movies in?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'd rather wait for Oct-Dec, spotting the duds in that batch will be fun.