Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Post by W »

Being John Malkovich was one of the worst films I've ever seen (or, at least one of the worst times watching a movie) and I'm a little bit of a John Cusack fan.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #31

Shrykespeare - Ratatouille (2007) – fantastic movie, barely missed out on my own list, and with a few more views it might make it some day.

silversurfer - Fight Club (1999) - I've seen it twice fully now with a couple of times seeing parts of it here and there on tv and such, and to be honest i still don't know how i feel about it. a part of me loves it and thinks it's a movie ahead of its time (or was) and another thinks it's just kind of a weird schoolboy fantasy. I think fincher is fantastic. the performances were great. and maybe someday i'll think of it the way i think of se7en, or maybe not.

englishozzy - The Dark Knight (2008) - i was wondering when this would show up and i expect it to show up on many of you guy's lists. It won't however be on mine. Not because i don't like it, i do. It has got a performance that has to be in the top 100 (if not top 50) of all time great performances. The crime drama worked perfectly in this batman story adding to the somewhat trite superhero story (you know, the hero has a problem, and also a villain appears. he fixes the problem and fights the villain, the end) plus, the joker, to add a bit of anarchy and the movie really was epic. BUT, i have to disagree with a few things. Batman's side-story and self-conflict was definitely not up to par with the rest of the film and felt a bit cliche to be honest. and... well i should probably leave some for the other people that pick it.

Geezer - Independence Day (2006) - man, this movie got ripped apart last time it was up. personally, i don't hate it, but it just fells like such a 'tv' movie as it seems like it's on every weekend on tbs. I've seen it once and i don't feel the need to ever see it again. Also if i have to admit, one of emmerich's films is a guilty pleasure of mine too. it's just not on my top 100 list, would definitely make my 200 though

Haven't Seen

thegreenarrow - The Devil's Backbone (2001)

transformers - Trainspotting (1996)

Ron Burgundy - Snatch (2000)

Buscemi - Bowling For Columbine (2002) - not to start a flame war or anything, but you can't technically talk about his films without talking about the moore. one, it's his movie. 2, i find them very biased, so again, we have to talk about his views on things, because obviously movies don't have views of their own. and again, i don't mean to patronize, this goes for every movie and director. every movie has a certain viewpoint and most likely the director is the one that is directing that viewpoint.

Chienfantome - The Philadelphia Story* (1940)

numbersix - The Godfather Part 2 (1974) - but yet from what i've seen it is very visually told, hmmm really need to see these some day.

Banks - The Devil’s Advocate (1997) - i love me some charlize theron but i have no interest in seeing this.

BarcaRulz - Once Upon A Time In America* (1984)

leestu - The Bridge on the River Kwai* (1957)

W - My Cousin Vinny (1992)

NSpan - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)

JohnErle - Hard Core Logo (1996)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #31

Shrykespeare: Ratatouille (2007) – I was actually expecting this to be much higher up on your list. Hell, I still remember your multi-paragraph article on why this was proof or Pixar's genius and why Bee Movie was proof of Dreamworks's lack of it. I don't feel the same about this movie. There's lots to like but it just didn't blow me away in the same way Up or Toy Story did, but it's still a very nice film.

silversurfer: Fight Club (1999) - I have mixed feelings about this film. In ways it did tap into something, especially the sense of emasculation that modern men seem to feel. But while I think that the film cleverly equates the reaction to that as homo-erotic, Fincher has denied that and also it's not something fans of the film generally notice. Indeed, I remember being disappointed amongst a group of guys who loved the film but mostly for the fight scenes, violence, and the dash of humour. Which makes me think it's somewhat of a failure in its point. It focused so much on the thrills that what it was actually trying to say got masked too much. Original, witty, but perhaps descrbied as a magnificent failure.

thegreenarrow: The Devil's Backbone (2001) - Just didn't work for me.

transformers: Trainspotting (1996) - Stylish, hip, but in no way glamorising drugs, this is a damn good flick.

englishozzy: The Dark Knight (2008) - Oh ho, let the debates begin! I do like this film, overall, I do. In a way it's possibly the best 9/11 mainstream movie so far. The Joker of course represents terrorism, he's an abstract force without origin and without reason (terrorists are of course NOT like this, but that's how we perceive them), and the film is potent at representing this. I also do like the faith in humanity scene towards the end. Some of the direction doesn't appeal to me. I didn't like the shakey-cam fight sequence with the Joker. I also thought the pacing was a bit off and the scene in Shanghai could have been cut and I wouldn't have noticed. A step up from Batman Begins, but not as amazing as many claim it to be.

Ron Burgundy: Snatch (2000) - While I found Lock Stock watchable, this was just a rehash of it. And a boring, predictable rehash at that. Pitt is pretty good, but Statham's character is awful. All he does is be sarcastic. Every single line. It's so repetitive I want to tear my hair out. Again, all style, and zero content.

Buscemi: Bowling For Columbine (2002) - Ah, the movie that shot him into fame. I think it's hard to not debate about Moore when this is one of his most important films. I'll give him this: it's the first documentary I ever went to see in a cinema, so props for that. But I too am not a an of his methods, his tendencies to simplify and take pot shots at issues and refusing to acknowledge that things aren't that simple (Sicko's view of the health systems outside of the US are the worst example). But this is the best of his films. Even if his methods are slightly suspect, I find his enquiry to be an honest and just one. The rate of violence and gun murders are disproportionately high in the US and it's something everyone should think about, especially in light of the recent attempt to kill Gabrielle Giffords. In some ways the film is heartfelt, in other ways its misleading, but I appreciate the attempt to take on such a huge subject.

Chienfantome: The Philadelphia Story (1940) – A very entertaining screwball comedy. Grant just breezes through it and Stewart and Hepburn are great.

Banks: The Devil’s Advocate (1997) - I am totally with Shryke on this one (though I won't give it a harsh 1/10). There's nothign redeeming about this awful, trashy attempt to satirise law. Firstly, Reeves is terrible. He's supposed to be torn between having a good career and doing what is right, but he just looks like he's trying to divide 199 by 13. He's a terrible actor and hasn't progressed since Bill N Ted. And then there's Pacino, in his most hilariously bad role I've ever seen. It's so over the top it's like a comedy, but the film keeps trying to sound literary (it references PAradise Lost) and to make an important point about morality. Don't remember anything about Theron in it. A terrible, unintentionally hilarious film.

BarcaRulz: Once Upon A Time In America (1984) - Good to see this getting some appreciation. A beautiful film and maybe De Niro's last great performance.

Geezer: Independence Day (1996) - I loved it as a kid, that's for sure. Will Smith's smart-ass comments kept it entertaining. Hell, I can even ignore the notion that a Mac laptop is compatible with alien technology (it's actually prophetic as these days the good guys in movies always have macs, an the bad guys have PCs)! But as entertainment goes it's not bad, and better than most similar stuff these days.

leestu: The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) - Glad to see this appear ina list. It didn't make mine, but it's a brilliant story. It's so engaging. It's both a tribute to and a criticism of that very British sense of dignity, as represented by Guinness. Great film.

W: My Cousin Vinny (1992) - Very entertaining. Court case films can be a drag but this manages to be funny enough to make it enjoyable after several viewings.

NSpan: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) – So how is a film about two guys loading up on a cocktail of narcotics a patriotic movie? I'm not disagreeing, it just wasn't my reaction to the film. I like the visuals, not sure if there's much of a movie beyond that, especially not in the way MASH and Withnail and I are.

undeadmonkey: Signs (2002) - I don't like any Shyamalan film, and this is certainly one of the worst. I appreciate it being a story of faith regained and all that, but it's told using the most contrived plot I've ever seen. It's typical Shyamalan, contriving evens in such extreme ways so that everything can be tied up together. It's almost laughable if the director didn't take himself and his movies so seriously (he even thinks he can act, when he really, really can't). Awful film.

JohnErle: Hard Core Logo (1996) – Never heard of it. Sounds interesting. But it's a music mockumentar, right? Is it not just a poor man's Spinal Tap?

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke - Not the best of the bunch when it comes to Pixar but even saying that you will find it is alot better than most films. 7/10

Surfer - My favourite Fincher movie to date. Coming up on my own list so wont go too much into it, but the movie catches you from the very moment you start watching it and spits you out at the end with great relish. 10/10

Transformer - Another awesome film and definately something that made people start standing up and noticing Boyle. 10/10

Ron - Probably my favourite out of the Guy Ritchie gangster movies, improves on Lock Stock but still keeps that essence of what made this first one so good. 9/10

Geezer - As the only other person to post this film in this countdown, i can totally agree with you. This film is the ultimate in what we brand as popcorn flicks. #94 on my list. 8/10

UDM - The last Shymalan film i actually enjoyed, very eerie and creepy. Wasnt too fond of the ending though. 7/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) – So how is a film about two guys loading up on a cocktail of narcotics a patriotic movie?
From the text:
Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run ...but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant ...

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullshit, but even without being sure of "history" it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket ...booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change) ... but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that ...

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda .... You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning ....

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave ....

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark —that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.
numbersix wrote:I like the visuals, not sure if there's much of a movie beyond that, especially not in the way MASH and Withnail and I are.
Nothing to do with the visuals here. I compared those two movies because they capture the quintessential "buddy movie" ideals.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Just an interesting note now that we are getting down to the nitty gritty of the list

45 of my films haven't been picked so far. with 12 of those still coming up.I'm fairly positive that 3 of the upcoming ones will be chosen, but the other 9 maybe not. and one i'm really surprised hasn't been picked so far. grant it, it's a foreign film, but it's a classic, maybe it'll show up on a few top tens.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan, that passage makes me remember what a great read Thompson's novel was (and even shows how the film just couldn't capture some things). But surely he's not talking about patriotism in the conventional sesne, but rather he's revelling in a scene, a movement. There's a difference between the hippies who thought the summer of love was the pinnacle of culture and a patriot, no?

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #31

Shrykespeare: Ratatouille (2007) – Y'know, whereas other Pixar's have had an instant impact on me, such as Toy Story, Monster Inc and Wall-E, I think I've found that with repeated viewings this has gone from a very decent movie to one of Pixar's best. It's slowly climbing the ranks of my favourites and I think it's one that will probably date the best, with viewers returning to it over and over again. A quite delightful movie. (9/10)

silversurfer: Fight Club (1999) - I probably agree with you six, that for the base proportion of cinema goers, this was a very cool, violent movie, a movie guys can like. But for those willing to invest some thought into the film, I think they will gain so much more. Maybe it didn't get it's point across for some as much as others, but for me it hit home straight away. While on the surface it presents itself as just a flashy fight movie with gags, I'd think you'd have to be a pretty lazy cinema goer to not notice anything more. And even if you didn't get the movie's theme first time, the movie works well with repeat viewings so no doubt the message would get across eventually!

thegreenarrow: The Devil's Backbone (2001) - Another of my own picks, one of Del Toro's best. (10/10)

transformers: Trainspotting (1996) - And another pick which I've already listed. Some good movies so far this round. I can't agree with your statment that it's hard to watch though, as while some of it's subject matter is difficult, the movie itself is totally absorbing and I can never look away when it's on. (10/10)

englishozzy: The Dark Knight (2008) - While I could probably agree that the shaky cam scene of the Joker fight was a little abrupt and jarred with what had come before, and I'm pretty sure the Shanghai scene was included solely so Nolan could add another IMAX scene, these are small details in a quite brilliant movie. No doubt this will appear in quite a few more lists (it already appeared in my 101-110), and wouldn't be surprised if it was in a top ten or even a no.1. (9.5/10)

Ron Burgundy: Snatch (2000) - Okay, I slagged off Lock, Stock a couple of days ago, but this was even worse. Would be happy if I never saw it again. (4/10)

Buscemi: Bowling For Columbine (2002) - I can't say I've seen this one, but I do like Moore. His views are obviously very biased, and his docs don't ever really offer any balance of opinion, but they are certainly enjoyable to watch. His point of view in enlightening in some regards, but always fun. We watched Capitalism a couple of weeks ago and we couldn't help but agree with a lot of his points, and he gets them across in such a delightful manner. Six is correct though, his talk of the wonderful world of public health outside the US is far from the fairy tale he described, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot better than what you guys put up with in the US. So anyway, after deliberately doing exactly what I was asked not to, I'll just say I haven't seen this yet... [wink] (N/A)

Chienfantome: The Philadelphia Story (1940) – To be honest, while I do generally love this type of screwball comedy, and Grant is brilliant in it, I found myself a little underwhelmed by it. It was a lot of fun to watch, with a witty script whizzing you along, but in the end it just didn't quite match my hopes for it. Maybe I was expecting genius, but for a movie which is reknowned as such maybe it should have met my expectations. Still, always a pleasant watch. (7.5/10)

numbersix: The Godfather Part 2 (1974) - I think I've already mentioned that the Godfather movies just don't really appeal to me on a fundamental level, so I just never really take much notice when it's on. I watched it properly once, and while I probably prefer it over the first one, and the performances are strong, I can't say I was totally won over by it. Well made, but just not something I'd ever care to watch again. (6/10)

Banks: The Devil’s Advocate (1997) - I haven't seen this, so I can't pour any scorn on Keanu's performance... (N/A)

BarcaRulz: Once Upon A Time In America (1984) - And another movie I have yet to see, but really want to. (N/A)

Geezer: Independence Day (1996) - Still not something I'd ever care to watch again, as beyond Smith the movie was just laughable. I probably rank Emmerich alongside Bay as two of the most visually stunning but comprehensive story lacking directors around. They make things pretty, but there's just no substance. (4/10)

leestu: The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) - I've only seen it the once, when I was spending the afternoon at my Grandparent's during my early teens, but man it was a very good war movie, really need to watch it again. (7/10)

W: My Cousin Vinny (1992) - Again I haven't seen this I think. (N/A)

NSpan: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) – While it's a bizarre and addictive watch, with the scenes in the hotel room so viscerally evocative, I'd much rather watch Withnail and I over this, their partnership offers so much more to me, and is even funnier to boot. Perfect casting though. (7/10)

undeadmonkey: Signs (2002) - This was the first film I watched of Shyamalan's that I actively disliked. I'd enjoyed The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, but this was just so boring, and I didn't like either lead. Didn't remember it was Abbie Breslin though, man she must have been young in this! Guess this was a sign (get it!) of what was to come from M.Night though, and while I always hope he'll return to the strenghts of his first movies, I've almost given up. (5/10)

JohnErle: Hard Core Logo (1996) – Never heard of it, will check out the trailer later though. (N/A)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare
Average: 6.77

Another rise in average, Shryke, and now you're no longer one of the lowest scoring members of our little group! Star Trek 598 was the only film I didn't like, and the rest were consistently good. We now share 4 films on out list, but considering how I know you're gonna hate some of my picks, I suspect we won't have the most compatible of lists.

silversurfer
Average: 7.89

No surprises to see you top of the round once more. The fact that The Usual Suspects is the worst of the bunch says a hell of a lot. And even more films that are in my list, like the iconic A Clockwork Orange. We now have 19 films in common. That's almost a fifth! The Green Arrow must be relieved that I'm a guy ;)

thegreenarrow
Average: 7.38

A great round for you, and a huge improvement on last round (though that was an anomaly). I'm not big on The Devil's Backbone, but that was made up for with Toy Story (which may not be topped, at least untile everyone starts shoving The Dark Knight into their Top 10s) and Beetlejuice. We now have 10 films on both of our lists.

transformers
Average: 6.44

A solid enough round for you. I was surprised to see Do the Right Thing on your list but obviously pleased. Also good to see Trainspotting make your list, proving that the film isn't just appreciated in the UK alone. We share 5 films in total.

englishozzy
Average: 6.8

A sizeable improvement from last round. You're the first to inlcude The Dark Knight, but certainly not the last. I'm not a fan of Bond and I was actually quite surprised to see any Bond film on anyone's list (I thought everyone knew they were just throwaway), but good to see Jurassic PArk make it. We have 6 films on both of our lists.

Ron Burgundy
Average: 7.56

Wow, this is a major surprise. While most of your rounds have been decent but not exceptional, along comes this. And what's weirder is that I really, really don't like Snatch or Goldeneye. But you had a bunch of films that I consider to be some of cinema's best, such as Indy 3, Toy Story, and Grondhog Day. So amazing highs and great lows. We now have an impressive 10 on our Top 100 Films.

Buscemi
Average: 7

Another great round from you Boosch. Amelie, Lawrence, and the Big Lebowski are amongst my favourite films. Interestingly, I tihnk I mentioned earlier that your Top 100 has been something predictable in that they're all well-regarded classics by one group or another, but here there was a surprise. Unfortunately, it was the unimaginative Thirteen, but at least you're going against the grain with that one. We share a whopping 15 films on our lists.

Chienfantome
Average: 7.56

The more films I've seen in your rounds, the higher the average. And this one was your best so far, I think. Not one dud in your last ten films, and most of them are either on my list (Raiders, Life of Brian) or damn close. I've nothign negative to say about any of your films, and the one I haven't seen I really want to. And major props for appreciating Lost Highway, a film nto everyone will enjoy but there's great joy in there. We now have 8 films on both of our lists.

Banks
Average: 6.58

Even with The Devil's Advocate (the second worst film on any of the films chosen amongst us so far), you still managed a decent score. A nice mix of contemporary classics. We too have 8 films on our lists.

BarcaRulz
Average: 6.5

A pretty good round for you too, Barca. Nice to see someone else pick Aronofsk'y Pi (still my favourite, though I'm catching Black Swan this weekend), The Shining, and Stand By Me, a film that was a favourite amongst most of my classmates at school, despite us all having hugely varying tastes and backgrounds. We have 9 films shared.

Geezer
Average: 6.33

Not as good as last round, but still pretty decent. Almost all of your picks were solid films one way or another, and even while they may not be favourites (Inception, Independence Day) I can still see what you like in them. Except for Saw ;) There are 8 films on our lists so far.

leestu
Average: 7.44

Like with Chien, the more I see the more I like, and this was a spectacular round. And despite Tommy (;)) you pretty much had a list of classics, including Bridge on the River Kwai and one of my favourite comedies, This is Spinal Tap. We share 11 films on our lists.

W
Average: 5.75

Sorry, buddy, but this wasn't the best round for you. It doesn't help that you picked Armageddon, a film I can't appreciate on any level. You did have Monster's Inc and Glory, though, so at least there's that! 4 films grace both of our lists.

NSpan
Average: 6.67

A bit of a drop below par for you, pal, but that's what you get when you start liking Guy Ritchie movies ;). Besides that everything was either solid or great (Rushmore, Life of Brian). We've 10 films on our lists.

undeadmonkey
Average: 5.8

A bit of a dip for you too UDM. I guess we just have differning tastes, especially when it comes to M Night. I just see his films as convoluted and a waste of a good story. At least there was Jurassic Park! 3 shared films in total.

JohnErle
Average: 6.5

There were quite a few of yours I haven't seen, so you average isn't fair to be honest. Only Master and Commander underwhelmed me, the rest were actually quite good. It was a nice surprise to see you pick Dead Ringers, as it's Cronenberg's best for me. Sideways almost made my list too. We share 10 films on our lists.

Added to my Must See List
The Name of the Rose
Le cercle rouge
The Wall

BONUS LIST
Well, now that it's Awards season, I thought I might take a look at the history of the two most prestigious award ceremonies and see if they matched my taste.
With the Oscars out of the 77 or so ceremonies only 9 Best Picture winners appear in my Top 100 (8 Best Director films). And with the Cannes Film Festival, only 6 Palm D'Or winners made my list. Although with Cannes there's dozens of past winners I haven't seen.
Anyone else have a higher amount?

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan, that passage makes me remember what a great read Thompson's novel was (and even shows how the film just couldn't capture some things). But surely he's not talking about patriotism in the conventional sesne, but rather he's revelling in a scene, a movement. There's a difference between the hippies who thought the summer of love was the pinnacle of culture and a patriot, no?
I suppose the terms "patriot" and "patriotic" have somewhat devolved into meaningless buzzwords... But when I use the term "patriotic" here (describing Fear/Loathing and Nashville), I am referring to works that celebrate our culture in the US and illustrate what we, as a nation, are capable of--in a positive sense.

...So, yes, I think that's patriotic.
silversurfer19 wrote:silversurfer: Fight Club (1999) - I probably agree with you six, that for the base proportion of cinema goers, this was a very cool, violent movie, a movie guys can like. But for those willing to invest some thought into the film, I think they will gain so much more. Maybe it didn't get it's point across for some as much as others, but for me it hit home straight away. While on the surface it presents itself as just a flashy fight movie with gags, I'd think you'd have to be a pretty lazy cinema goer to not notice anything more. And even if you didn't get the movie's theme first time, the movie works well with repeat viewings so no doubt the message would get across eventually!
I think Fincher's "love conquers all" ending mitigates the concept a bit.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Have to say, if I were remaking the list today, My Cousin Vinny would almost certainly be on it. It will make my next update of the list.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Ratatouille
Like Six, I am very surprised to find this film so "low" in your Top. I sincerely expected it to appear in your Top 10. It's a fantastic film from PIxar, although not my favourite. What I love about it is the whole kitchen atmosphere, and the love for gastronomy displayed. And of course the Parisian setting ;)

Surfer - Fight Club
This film blew my mind away big time when I first saw it in theater. It did not disappoint me. I loved everything about it. I loved what it evidently said and what it subtlely said. I loved how fucked up it was and yet very smart. I loved the look of it, I loved the performances in it. And now eleven years have passed. I hesitated to include it in my Top, but felt it is a film I need to rewatch to really know what I think of it today. But I understand the love and admiration one can express for such a film.

greenarrow - The Devil's backbone
Three appearances already, it is quite surprising. It's a film I truly appreciate so I do not complain about it. The mix of history and fantasy is nicely done, as always with Del Toro.

Transformers - Trainspotting
As I've said before, I have only seen it on video when I was 16, was not really impressed by it back then, and never saw it again. When the opportunity will come, I will rewatch it.

Ozzy - The Dark Knight
I'm sure it won't be the last appearance of it indeed. I went to see it two times in theatre. There is no doubt this is one of Nolan's best films. never has a comicbook film been so fascinating, disturbing and smart. Nolan used Batman and its characters to draw a portrait of post 9/11 America that is dark and dense. It questions moral and the notion of fighting the crime. It features a chilling performance by Heath Ledger. It really is a remarkable film, that maybe one day could enter my Top 100. But I'm gonna need a few more viewings to really know.

Ron B - Snatch
Only watchable for the funny performance of Brad Pitt. The rest is the first step of Ritchie in the wrong direction.

Buscemi - Bowling for Columbine
It's probably my favourite film of Michael Moore. It's the one that introduced me to him. It's much more clever and interesting than Farenheit 911 or Sicko. I haven't seen it since theater, but really liked it then.

Six - The Godfather, part II
I first saw this Godfather sequel not so long ago, three or four years tops, when it was re-released in Paris in a restaured copy. I saw it on a huuuuge screen, and it was probably the bes way to discover it. I'm amazed by the facility with which Coppola manages to elaborate a strong sequel and a gripping prequel at the same time in this film. It may be better than the first film, but having only seen it once for now, I still prefer the first.

Banks - The Devil's Advocate
Banks ! Where does that come from ? How can you say you don't understand why Shryke hates it so much ?! It is a baaaad, baaad, bad film, Banks. Shryke is right. The script is ridiculous, the actors are ridiculous. Plain ridiculous. Sorry mate.

Barca - Once upon a time in America
A great film that serves as a fascinating portrait of America. My favourite performance of De Niro. Fantastic choice, Barca.

Geezer - Independence Day
This film definitely falls into the guilty pleasures category. At least it used to be, I realize I haven't seen it in a while. It's not particularly good, but it's fun, and it takes itself so seriously sometimes it's very enjoyable even when it does not mean to be.

leestu - The bridge on the river kwai
I think I've only seen it once, on TV, a few years ago. But I loved it. It's the type of films I love, offering adventure, history, and a sense of awareness that makes it smarter than most entertainments. It really is a good film. I can't wait to see it again some day.

W - My cousin Vinny
It certainly isn't that great for me, but it sure is an enjoyable comedy.

NSpan - Fear and loathing in Las Vegas
as I've revealed before, I really, really did not like this film when I saw it in theaters. one of those Gilliams ;) And I don't really want to give it another shot...

UDM - Signs
I haven't seen it in a while, but I for one enjoyed it very much. Shymalan is not a good actor, and he certainly can be clumsy as a filmmaker, but I think I consider Signs his best film. For the first time he turned his back on a final twist and focused on offering a different view on the alien invasion genre. It's a quiet film but that shows a good sense of narration. It builds up tension very nicely. I should probably rewatch it, but I liked it very much.

JohnErle - Hard Core Logo
Never heard of that ! Damn, only film I haven't seen this round !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Thread recap:

Shrykespeare
40. Toy Story 3
39. Se7en
38. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
37. LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring
36. Planes, Trains and Automobiles
35. Executive Decision
34. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
33. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
32. Sneakers
31. Ratatouille

silversurfer
40. Beetlejuice
39. The Usual Suspects
38. Harold and Maude
37. Pan's Labyrinth
36. Casablanca
35. Vertigo
34. A Clockwork Orange
33. Ed Wood
32. In the Mood For Love
31. Fight Club

thegreenarrow
40. The Apartment
39. His Girl Friday
38. Early Summer
37. A Tale of Two Sisters
36. The Dark Crystal
35. A Christmas Story
34. Beetlejuice
33. O Brother Where Art Thou?
32. Toy Story
31. The Devil's Backbone

transformers
40. Unforgiven
39. Happy Gilmore
38. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
37. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
36. Do the Right Thing
35. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
34. Toy Story
33. Spider-Man 2
32. The Green Mile
31. Trainspotting

englishozzy
40. Into the Wild
39. Raiders of the Lost Ark
38. Man on the Moon
37. Up
36. Dr. No
35. Let the Right One In
34. Jurassic Park
33. The Truman Show
32. Aladdin
31. The Dark Knight

Ron Burgundy
40. Alien
39. Blow
38. Moon
37. Groundhog Day
36. Toy Story
35. Once Upon a Time in the West
34. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
33. GoldenEye
32. Cool Hand Luke
31. Snatch

Buscemi
40. The Big Lebowski
39. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
38. House of Sand and Fog
37. American History X
36. Amelie
35. Lawrence of Arabia
34. Evil Dead II
33. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
32. Thirteen
31. Bowling For Columbine

Chienfantome
40. Twelve Monkeys
39. Back to the Future
38. Raiders of the Lost Ark
37. Lost Highway
36. The Truman Show
35. Eyes Wide Shut
34. Le cercle rouge (The Red Circle)
33. Edward Scissorhands
32. Monty Python and the Life of Brian
31. The Philadelphia Story

numbersix
40. Blue Velvet
39. Rope
38. A Clockwork Orange
37. Stardust Memories
36. Barton Fink
35. Brazil
34. The Conversation
33. The Royal Tenenbaums
32. The Apartment
31. The Godfather Part II

Banks
40. Up in the Air
39. I Spy
38. My Cousin Vinny
37. Amelie
36. The Shawshank Redemption
35. Ray
34. Knocked Up
33. Wall Street
32. House Party
31. The Devil's Advocate

BarcaRulz
40. Death at a Funeral
39. Stand By Me
38. The Shining
37. Inception
36. Pi
35. Batman Begins
34. Gladiator
34. Finding Nemo
32. Donnie Brasco
31. Once Upon a Time in America

Geezer
40. Stripes
39. Hot Rod
38. Saw
37. Kill Bill Vol. I & II
36. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
35. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
34. Inception
33. Office Space
32. Shaun of the Dead
31. Independence Day

leestu
40. Jaws
39. Tommy
38. In the Heat of the Night
37. Das Boot
36. Taxi Driver
35. Blue Velvet
34. The Wall
33. Once Upon a Time in America
32. This is Spinal Tap
31. The Bridge on the River Kwai

W
40. I Love You, Man
39. Glory
38. Monsters, Inc.
37. Shaun of the Dead
36. Major League
35. Armageddon
34. Sesame Street Presents Follow That Bird
33. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
32. Stealing Harvard
31. My Cousin Vinny

NSpan
40. National Lampoon's Vacation
39. Monty Python and the Life of Brian
38. Rushmore
37. The Jerk
36. Fletch
35. Army of Darkness
34. Mad Max
33. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
32. Se7en
31. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

undeadmonkey
40. Mean Girls
39. Aladdin
38. Good Will Hunting
37. The Prestige
36. Saving Private Ryan
35. Jurassic Park
34. Forrest Gump
33. Revolutionary Road
32. Spider-Man 2
31. Signs

JohnErle
40. Dead Ringers
39. Master and Commander
38. Zodiac
37. To Die For
36. The Name of the Rose
35. The Falcon and the Snowman
34. Sideways
33. Shallow Grave
32. Saving Private Ryan
31. Hard Core Logo

I still have not received the next batch of films (w/comments) from:

silversurfer
thegreenarrow
englishozzy
Banks
Geezer
undeadmonkey

After 71 movies (yes, including the as-yet-unposted #30 which will come later tonight), here is the Fantaverse's collective Top 25 so far (number of appearances, total points):

25. Saving Private Ryan (4, 872)
T23. Trainspotting (5, 880)
T23. Sin City (5, 880)
T21. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (4, 896)
T21. Monty Python and the Life of Brian (4, 896)
20. Reservoir Dogs (5, 910)
19. The Shining (5, 930)
18. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (5, 970)
17. The Silence of the Lambs (5, 1005)
16. Raiders of the Lost Ark (5, 1020)
15. Die Hrad (5, 1055)
14. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (5, 1185)
13. Saw (5, 1205)
12. A Clockwork Orange (5, 1220)
11. Se7en (5, 1225)
10. The Usual Suspects (5, 1310)
9. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (5, 1315)
8. The Godfather (5, 1345)
7. Office Space (6, 1404)
6. Wall-E (6, 1452)
5. Brazil (6, 1680)
4. Full Metal Jacket (7, 1918)
3. Jurassic Park (7, 2170)
2. Shaun of the Dead (7, 2184)
1. Toy Story (8, 3456)

Other notes: Platoon, which early on was in the Top 5, is now down to #90 despite being picked four times. There is now only one film left in the Top 100 that has only been picked twice, that being Spider-Man 2, which is at #99 and will be gone within days. All other movies have been picked at least three times.

And still the original Star Wars movie has not been picked yet!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote: JohnErle: Hard Core Logo (1996) – Never heard of it. Sounds interesting. But it's a music mockumentar, right? Is it not just a poor man's Spinal Tap?
Not at all. It's shot documentary style, but it's not mocking anything. If anything it's a loving tribute to the hard-working, underground bands who get no mainstream recognition and very little money but keep at it anyway because they love it and/or it's the only thing they know how to do. It has some big laughs but it's primarily a drama. Spinal Tap had caricatures, Hard Core Logo has characters. Well, the drummer's an over-the-top Keith Moon type, but then so was Keith Moon.

Here's a better quality version of the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS_v6JFrh1k

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:MOVIE #31

Shrykespeare: Ratatouille (2007) – I was actually expecting this to be much higher up on your list. Hell, I still remember your multi-paragraph article on why this was proof or Pixar's genius and why Bee Movie was proof of Dreamworks's lack of it. I don't feel the same about this movie. There's lots to like but it just didn't blow me away in the same way Up or Toy Story did, but it's still a very nice film.
To you and Chien: It was about this point on the list that putting them in order became hella tough. The fact that there are 30 movies that I "like" more than Ratatouille is quite subjective, as they are all 10/10s. To put it in a little more perspective: Only 7 of my Top 30 films are less than 10 years old. 23 of the 30 have been picked by others, and I fully expect two or three of them to appear at some point on others' lists. When I get to my Top 13 or so, it's going to be SOOOO tough to pick an order.

Recapping the thread: Geezer and ozzy both had three overlaps with me. tranny leads with 16 overlaps so far.

Thread: (Seen: hated/liked/loved/overlap)

Geezer (6: 0/1/2/3) - Overlaps: Saw, Kill Bill Vol. 1, Return of the Jedi. Overall: (47: 1/19/13/14).

englishozzy (6: 0/1/2/3) - Overlaps: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Aladdin, The Dark Knight. Overall: (46: 3/17/11/15).

Chienfantome (7: 1/2/2/2) - Overlaps: Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Overall: (21: 5/5/7/4). I hope that your overlaps ends up outshining my "hates". This was your best thread so far for me, despite Eyes Wide Shut.

undeadmonkey (7: 0/3/3/1) - Overlaps: Aladdin. Overall (37: 0/14/15/8). A worthy percentage. Keep out of the no-hate zone as well.

W (7: 0/4/3/0) - Overlaps: none. Overall: (35: 1/15/14/5). You're so good at picking films that I like, even love, but not so good at picking films I truly adore.

transformers (6: 0/3/2/1) - Overlap: The Green Mile. Overall: (42: 0/13/13/16). I like that you're leading the league in overlaps, and have yet to pick a film that I've seen and have hated. Keep it up.

Banks (7: 1/3/2/1) - Overlap: The Shawshank Redemption. Overall: (36: 3/14/12/7). You pick a lot of good movies, Banks, and only a few that I have actively disliked. Wish we had more in common, though.

BarcaRulz (6: 0/2/3/1) - Overlap: Batman Begins. Overall: (30: 0/9/10/11). Also no picks so far that I've hated. Good going.

silversurfer (5: 0/4/0/1) - Overlap: The Usual Suspects: Overall: (21: 2/11/2/6). Just like you, surfer, I'll either have it, merely like it, or not have seen it. Hmm.

Ron Burgundy (5: 0/1/4/0) - Overlaps: none. Overall: (35: 1/12/19/3). Only three overlaps? Even Chien has more than that!

NSpan (4: 0/1/1/2) - Overlaps: Fletch, Se7en. Overall: (29: 1/15/5/8). Keep up the good work, Austin.

Buscemi (3: 0/1/1/1) - Overlap: Return of the Jedi. Overall: (24: 1/10/5/8). Well, I already know you've got at least two overlaps on the next thread coming.

JohnErle (3: 0:1/2/0) - Overlaps: none. Overall: (31: 3/14/8/6). Likewise, you've got two overlaps coming up next thread.

thegreenarrow (3: 0/1/2/0) - Overlaps: none. Overall: (22: 1/7/10/4).

numbersix (2: 1/1/0/0) - Overlaps: none. Overall: (26: 2/10/7/7). Ouch.

leestu (2: 1/1/0/0) - Overlaps: none. Overall: (27: 3/14/2/8). Ouch again.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)