Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke - As i discussed before, a film that took me a while to watch but once i had watched this one i was hooked for the rest of the trilogy. #76 on my list.8/10

Surfer - I always used to be skeptical about watching foreign movies purely for the fact i thought i would lose the investment of the film if i was trying to read the subtitles at the bottom. Pan's Labryinth was the first foreign film i watched and although it took a few minutes to get used to it, before i knew it i was so engrossed in the movie that i didnt even realise that i was reading the subtitles. Since then subtitles hasn't detered me from watching a film. #56 on my list. 8/10

Transformer - One of the best debuts from a director i have ever seen, and to improve upon that with Snatch was even better. #93 on my list. 8/10

Barca - I really enjoyed this film when it came out, but having only seen it once at the moment i cant really comment too much on it. #102 on my list. 8/10

Geezer - Im glad that you agree that this film can only be watched with the two parts, i personally enjoy both parts equally. #110 on my list. 8/10

W - Im glad with the amount of love this film is on this countdown. Coming up shortly on my own list. 10/10

UDM - Im very much a fanboy of Nolan ever since watching Memento and this film just shows of Nolan's direction perfectly, a very good film. #54 on my list. 8/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

On Fincher: I don't think he's "changed" or "sold out" I just don't seem to like any of the films he has made that don't star Brad Pitt. Zodiac was so boring that I could have fallen asleep. It's probably a comment on me liking Brad Pitt as an actor more than liking Fincher as a director, but two of their collaborations make my list, and Se7en is very good as well. I apologize for ruining his career though, Bouche.

On recent movies: For me, I only need to see a film once to know its one of my favorites. I don't have time to watch all the movies that I want to see, let alone watch them 4 or 5 times. Yes, of course some films will get better with multiple watches, and some will age poorly. If I have the urge to watch a movie more than once, then it will certainly be in consideration for the list. But I know what I like, and its stupid to eliminate recent films that I absolutely loved, simply because I haven't seen it 5 times. The movie doesn't change, its still exactly the same as it was the first time. So if I enjoyed my time watching it that first time more than all the films behind it, you bet your ass I'm going to include it.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Well, I have to say, after not altering my list. I would like to right now. Im ashamed to have to admit it, but there is probably about 4 or 5 films that i would like to remove from my list and maybe another 5 that i want to shuffle around. And yes, sparking this confession is thanks to the bashing i got for Blow, a movie i totally regret placing in my top 100. Yeah yeah, sounds like a cop out, but sometimes you need a kick in the butt to realise things. Thanks guys.

But as Shyrke pointed put before, i did not include my No. 40. (not altered from my original top 100). So, here it is:

# 40

Alien (1979) - Director: Ridley Scott; starring: Sigorney Weaver, John Hurt, Ian Holm, Tom Skeritt and Harry Dean Stanton. Sometimes I still cant believe that this was filmed in the 70s, it must be the best sci-fi movie of that decade by miles. Sigorney Weaver plays the best heroine that has ever come to the big screen as Ellen Ripley. Ian Holm and John Hurt are some good additions to make this movie even better, Holm especially. Ridley Scott though is the master here, as he manages to craft an incredibly suspenseful voyage through space. And who can forget the scene where the alien first appears? Terrific all round, including the end.

PS- Fincher, sell out? Oscar bending over? No effing way, he's a genius. But i did not agree with Zodiac and SS's claims that its one of the best films of recent history, i thought shryke was on the money, 6/10, and a little bit boring at times. Benjamin Button was also not a highlight of his career but The Social Network has reinstalled my faith in his talents.

PPS- Glad you enjoyed Moon six, i recently watch Pi (from your list) and was quite frankly a little stunned. Aronofsky has made a very strange but oddly engrossing film. I love the score, i can still hear it now...BUT, what does it all mean? The plot that is. Also, some fairly unbelievable dialogue for a first time director/writer. Though im guessing the lead actor isn't big now because he isn't the reason the film is so good, its the direction.

PPS- Ill comment later on the movies, im back in remote Western Australia, and the net is so fkn slow. But some really good stuff has been picked...REALLY GOOD.

PPPS- On what geez just said, I disagree about how you view or 'see' a movie after repeat viewings, because for me, i change my own view of how ive seen something quite often (but not always). Basically when you are a kid/teen, you will not enjoy a movie you'll enjoy as an adult or you might pick up on some new things. And therefore your whole perception of what the movie is about changes as you change. There would be 10 or even 20 movies in my top 100 that i didn't like as much as when i first saw them and another 10 or 20 that have been kicked out that i used to like alot more. You might be in a different mood, a different environment maybe even a different person, some one plz back me up (maybe its after you watch movies from all genres, eras and styles). Im guessing Geez is gonna say he's been in the same mood for his whole life. And so, i might have included Inception in my list, but i wanna see it again first, because i wanna confirm that i did enjoy it as much as he first time. And also doesn't quality make a difference, IMAX vs shitty download? Anway, ill stop ranting and go to bed.

PPPPS- If i could change my top 100 music countdown from what we did last, it would look so different.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Good choice for #40, Ron.

Geezer - Kill Bill - For me, the best martial-arts movie ever made, and a classic revenge tale. Vol. I is our 13th overlap (10/10). Vol. II is very close (9/10)

BarcaRulz - Inception - This was in my 101-110 group, mainly because when we started this countdown, I had only seen it the one time. However, having seen it again, I don't think I can put it in my 100 after all. Is Leo destined to now have a batshit crazy wife in every movie he does? (Okay, twice in one year, but that's still a lot, when you think about it.) (9/10)

englishozzy - Up - Very good movie, but I just didn't find it great like so many other Pixar films. (8/10)

undeadmonkey - The Prestige - I should probably watch this again. (6/10)

silversurfer - Pan's Labyrinth - Visually spectacular, but I just wasn't as mesmerized by the story. (6/10)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

undeadmonkey wrote:by trying to win an oscar, by trying to 'technically' make the best movie that came out that year, are you saying that is a bad thing to do?
I don't think Best Picture is about the technicality of the filmmaking.
numbersix wrote:thegreenarrow: A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) - Ah, Mrs. SS, you were doing so well this round. I think this is one of the many J-horror clones that came out after Ringu's success but failed to work. You guess the twist pretty early on, it's a fairly routine ghost story, and there's only one or two chilling moments early on. Disappointing.
I gotta disagree. I can't say whether I love it--but the jury is certainly still out. Kate (the gf) really wanted to watch it, and I just wasn't in the mood that day. I had seriously low expectations. I clicked around on my laptop for about half of the movie before I realized that I was ignoring a supremely well-made film. I watched the second-half and pieced together what was going on rather quickly, but I was fascinated by what I saw. I still need to go back and rewatch the whole thing... but, from what I witnessed, that movie holds a lot of potential. Nothing at all like what I expected going in.
BarcaRulz: Inception (2010) - The zero gravity fight scene is possibly the best action scene since the Bride took on the Yakuza in Kill Bill.
I was sure you had seen Tom-Yum-Goon (2005)--poorly re-edited and renamed The Protector in the US... but the original cut is easily available (and included as a bonus disc on most copies). The mindblowing steadicam shot that follows Tony Jaa up the staircase is, in my opinion, easily the best fight scene of the decade.

Compared to that, I find Inception's take on "action" to be incredibly dull:

In fact, I think all the runners-up would also be scenes from Thai films. Fights from Ong-Bak and Chocolate spring to mind.
Last edited by NSpan on January 13th, 2011, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I haven't seen The Protector, but I have seen that scene numerous times. It's an excellent scene, but as I watch it I'm only drawn to the technicality of it, because it's all about orchastrating one take. With Inception and Kill Bill I was more involved, especially the latter with its use of colour and framing.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:I haven't seen The Protector, but I have seen that scene numerous times. It's an excellent scene, but as I watch it I'm only drawn to the technicality of it, because it's all about orchastrating one take. With Inception and Kill Bill I was more involved, especially the latter with its use of colour and framing.
Sure, but how "involved" can you really get when you're watching a 4-minute YouTube excerpt from a film?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

That is true, though I'm rarely drawn to action movies, US or Thai. Is The Protector truly worth watching all of?

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

I enjoyed The Protector, the action scenes are excellent, but the storyline is really stupid (I didn't expect to be good, I didn't watch for that).
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:That is true, though I'm rarely drawn to action movies, US or Thai. Is The Protector truly worth watching all of?
Well... no. At least not for any reason other than its action. But when talking "best fight scene," I think it's fair to cite a brilliant few moments from an otherwise mediocre film (not to say there aren't countless other amazingly-choreographed scenes in the movie... it's just not a "great" film beyond that).

I guess my last point was just to say that I wouldn't feel very "involved" in ANY short clip taken from a full-length film--no matter the overall quality of the film's entirety. If you had ONLY seen the aforementioned fight-scenes taken from Kill Bill and Inception, I don't think they'd be nearly as impressive without context.

Kill Bill and (ugh) Inception are certainly better movies overall. But, as I said, that fact shouldn't take a lesser movie out of the running for "best fight scene."

PS. On a tangent, I think I hate Inception. I was massively underwhelmed when I first saw it. I haven't rewatched it simply because, upon reflection, I have ZERO interest in revisiting it. I couldn't possibly imagine that movie IMPROVING upon closer-inspection. I think my initial (disappointed) impression is the best Inception will ever get from me... and if that's as good as it gets, that's a pretty bad sign.

This isn't my only gripe, but movies needn't supply their own Cliffs Notes IN-FILM! First step toward making Inception a better movie? Excise Ellen Page's character.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

That was a pretty cool scene. It reminded me almost instantly of the shootout at the Guggenheim in The International, which was also pretty cool.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Never saw the International. But I just checked out the Guggenheim scene--very cool.

I guess spiral architecture is just MADE for cinematic action sequences.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - The Fellowship of the Ring
It's such an amazing start for such an immense 3-part film. The laughter of the Shire, the fear of the Nazguls (the dudes in the hoods, six), the charisma of charisma appearing for the first in that tavern. The sadness and the hope. The vision of Tolkien so incredibly put on the screen by Jackson. Grandioso !

Surfer - Pan's Labyrinth
Del Toro's cinematogrpahic universe is one of the most amazing when it comes to fantasy, and what's great about him, and in this particular film, is indeed his ability to insufflate the fantasy in a historical set. It's a shame I have only seen it once.

greenarrow - A tale of two sisters
Although it is far from being the most interesting Korean film of the past decade, I see much more in it than what Six said. This is not just a rip-off of Ringu and all the japanese horror films of the late 90's. Because in my eyes A tale of two sisters is much more a family drama than a ghost story. Sure it uses the tricks of horror to creep you out a little bit, but from what I remember of the film (I haven't seen it since theater in 2004), it was a drama about coping with your families' implosion when you're a teenager. And I found it much more subtle than what most people saw in it. I was almost moved by it I think. I should rewatch it. But it's an interesting choice, greenarrow.

transformers - Lock, stock and two smoking barrels
I can see where the likability in such a film, but I really scratch my head to find greatness in it. It was a nice little comedy.

Ozzy - Up
I have only seen it in theaters for now, but I think this is a Pixar marvel that could very well become my favourite Pixar film on the long run. Such a beautiful story, and such a hilarious comedy at the same time. And it's adventurous too ! What's not to absolutely love about it ?

Ron B - Groundhog Day
Such a gem of a film. It's funny, it's witty, its tackles a fantastic premise and exploits it perfectly. And Bill Murray is perfect in it. No wonder I listed it myself earlier ;)

Buscemi - American History X
A powerful film, but I think it lacks subtlelty. Norton is good in it, but the characters are a bit too extreme in their makeovers. But it's a powerful film, yes. It impressed me when I saw it back then when I was 17.

Six - Stardust Memories
Wody Allen has made so many films, I'm afraid there are a bunch of them I have never seen, and Stardust Memories is one of them... I'll definitely catch it some day.

Banks - Amelie
It's a joy to watch, you said it perfectly, Banks. A joy to watch. This is the rare kind of film that I love even more every time I see it. And every time I see it, it makes me happy. Happy about life, about love, about cinema, about everything.

Barca - Inception
That's a pretty big surprise, to find Inception so high on a list already. I can't exactly blame you for that Barca, since I consider the fiml one of the great fimls of 2010. But it's way too soon for me to know if it is Top 100 material. Right now it's not.

Geezer - Kill Bill
Great first act, and a second act that was a bit of a disappointment for me. All the fun, the jubilation of the first left the place for a film too long, too talkative. Still a good film, but a disappointing one compared to the first.

leestu - Das Boot
I've always been curious about it, but I've never seen it. The closest I was to seeing it was at the rental videoclub when I was 15 or 16 and almost rented it ;)

W - Shaun of the Dead
And the Edgar Wright rampage keeps going ! It's such an enjoyable film, it's probably deserved. Although it's just a fun film for me and I don't adore it as much as most of you guys.

NSpan - The Jerk
I haven't seen this one. Sometimes I like Martin, sometimes I don't. Maybe I'll catch it one day.

UDM - The Prestige
A very nice adaptation of an amazing novel. My appreciation of the film was lessened by by reading of the book, no doubt about it. But it's a good film, yes. Two great characters served by two great actors. And this magical London atmosphere is fantastic.

JohnErle
This might be the first Gus Van Sant film I've ever seen. At least it's the first I've seen in theater. but I don't remember having seen it ever since. It's a cool little dark comedy, very enjoyable.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

NSpan wrote:
undeadmonkey wrote:by trying to win an oscar, by trying to make the 'technically' best movie that came out that year, are you saying that is a bad thing to do?
I don't think Best Picture is about the technicality of the filmmaking.
by 'technically' i meant 'subjectively' not the technical aspect of it. Sorry I phrased that sentence wrong.

BarcaRulz: Inception (2010) - The zero gravity fight scene is possibly the best action scene since the Bride took on the Yakuza in Kill Bill.
I was sure you had seen Tom-Yum-Goon (2005)--poorly re-edited and renamed The Protector in the US... but the original cut is easily available (and included as a bonus disc on most copies). The mindblowing steadicam shot that follows Tony Jaa up the staircase is, in my opinion, easily the best fight scene of the decade.

In fact, I think all the runners-up would also be scenes from Thai films. Fights from Ong-Bak and Chocolate spring to mind.
the best? hmm, hmmm, the fighting was cool enough, especially because it was one take, but i found a lot of the camera's movement took me out of it. The camera moves are supposed to be motivated by the movement on screen, not the movement on screen be motivated by the camera appearing. I guess there is only so much you can do with such a long scene i suppose???
NSpan wrote: PS. On a tangent, I think I hate Inception. I was massively underwhelmed when I first saw it. I haven't rewatched it simply because, upon reflection, I have ZERO interest in revisiting it. I couldn't possibly imagine that movie IMPROVING upon closer-inspection. I think my initial (disappointed) impression is the best Inception will ever get from me... and if that's as good as it gets, that's a pretty bad sign.

This isn't my only gripe, but movies needn't supply their own Cliffs Notes IN-FILM! First step toward making Inception a better movie? Excise Ellen Page's character.
Hear hear, now i don't actually hate the film, but i could completely understand if you did. Although i would say, just make Ellen Page's character an actual character, instead of just taking her out.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

undeadmonkey wrote:the best? hmm, hmmm, the fighting was cool enough, especially because it was one take, but i found a lot of the camera's movement took me out of it. The camera moves are supposed to be motivated by the movement on screen, not the movement on screen be motivated by the camera appearing. I guess there is only so much you can do with such a long scene i suppose???
I admit that there ARE a few moments where the on-screen action appears to be prompted by the camera--and not the other way around. But, in my opinion, it's a minor gripe when taking into account the grandeur of their undertaking. Think of the praise various filmmakers have received over the years simply for managing a long shot without anybody fucking up their lines. The choreography in this scene is simply amazing--in fact, I think it'd be a truly memorable sequence even if it were cobbled together from several takes. The fact that they were ambitious enough to do it all in one go is impressive, and the fact that they actually pulled it off so well is a true cinematic achievement in my eyes.
Hear hear, now i don't actually hate the film, but i could completely understand if you did. Although i would say, just make Ellen Page's character an actual character, instead of just taking her out.
I suppose, ultimately, her character DOES serve a purpose. But making her so damn clueless just seemed like a (very) forced excuse for providing ENDLESS exposition throughout the entire film.