Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Post by Buscemi »

I think he's emphasizing the bigness of the film. It was on IMAX and ran three hours, after all.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'll catch up with some of the movies I've missed in due course, but for the mean time:

MOVIE #40

Shrykespeare: Toy Story 3 (2010) – Definitely one of the most enjoyable movies I've seen this year, and maybe in a few years I'll find a place in my own top 100 for it, but the moment it's just a little too recent for me to truly feel it's one of my favourites of all time. Heck, I've only watched it twice and for me movies need to be so close to my heart to make my top 100, and two viewings just doesn't do this yet. And on top of that I kind of agree with six's sentiments, far too many of the themes, despite being very well executed, seemed to familiar to the previous installments (the toy which mistakenly is tossed away, the evil toy - The Prospector/Huggsy - which has been abandoned in past times etc). Otherwise though, brilliant finale to the series, just what I wanted. (9/10)

silversurfer: Beetlejuice (1988) - No UDM, I'll probably wait for it to come on TV before watching The Dilemma, not my type of movie despite her presence. Doesn't stop my, ahem, appreciation of Winona from continuing though.

thegreenarrow: The Apartment (1960) - Quite possibly the greatest Rom/Com ever made. Is that too high praise? (10/10)

transformers: Unforgiven (1992) - I don't know if I've actually seen this, at least not in a very long time. I do generally enjoy Clint's westerns though (when acting) and so I'll try and give this one a go when I can (N/A)

englishozzy: Into the Wild (2007) - I remember watching this after Donte had raved about it a couple of years ago. I had never been particularly won over by a Penn directed movie before, but I thought I'd give it a go nevertheless. It's a stunning movie really, beautifully tragic, heartbreaking even, and never an easy watch. But it's also truly inspiring too, as despite the character's obvious flaws, it really makes you cherish the most valued things in life (ie, not possessions), and truly try to make the most of our time. Despite the ending, I don't know anybody yet, who having watched it, hasn't wanted to go on an exploration themselves. Beautifully photographed and Hirsch is brilliant in the role. (8/10)

Buscemi: The Big Lebowski (1998) - Can bowling be classed as a sport? (much in the same way, say, darts would be? More of a hobby or leisure activity for me) Anyway, indeed the Coen's probably are, along with Rian Johnston, the very best at creating modern day noirs, or neo-noirs as you call them. Expertly written with great characters. Made my top 100 so no complaints from me. (10/10)

Chienfantome: Twelve Monkeys (1995) – Watched this a little while ago and I still get a little confused regarding what it's all about! Great idea though and some good acting. Not one of my favourite Gilliam movies though. (6.5/10)

Banks: Up in the Air (2009) - I'll be watching it for a second time in a couple of weeks, so I'll see how it holds up, but I remember enjoying it at the cinema. I don't really get the 40s/50s dialogue connection, I guess you're referencing those razor sharp, witty movies, but I didn't get that pinache at all, I sensed a much closer relation to American Beauty and those movies of the late 90s. I guess we each see something different though. Really enjoyed all the actors here, especially Kendrick, and the atmosphere was well complemented by the music (as we've come to expect from Reitman). 7.5/10

BarcaRulz: Death at a Funeral (2007) - You know, I don't know what it is about non-UK residents loving British movies like this, when most movie fans from the UK hate these type of movie. Crass and just not very funny, I guess we just have a different type of humour. And Dinklage's stick is getting very tiresome nowadays, only the ever delightful Alan Tudyk saved the movie (3/10)

Geezer: Stripes (1981) - This is obviously a big movie in the States, but I'd never heard of it until it was mentioned on here. I actually had the chance to check it out while on honeymoon in the US last year (I guess as a monument of comedy its on non stop...) and quite liked it. Didn't get to watch all of it, but it was definitely funny and Murray was awesome as usual. Will certainly check it out again one of these days. (N/A)

leestu: Jaws (1975) - One of the most terrifying movies I've ever seen, and though I was well a swimmer by the time I first watched this when about 8 years old, it made me think twice about heading out into the water. And a few months back we watched the original Piranha (haven't seen the new one yet), but did anyone else notice the similarities between the two movies with the mayor's insistance to keep the show on the road despite the obvious dangers approaching? Seems Piranha stole quite a few ideas from Spielberg. Anyway, still a brilliant movie, tense to the end. (10/10)

W: I Love You, Man (2009) - Enjoyed this quite a lot actually, was not expecting too but Rudd and Segel definitely becoming comedy favourites of mine. A good buddy movie with decent jokes. Wouldn't say no to watching it again. (7/10)

NSpan: National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983) – Can't say I've watched this in at least 15 years, but I do remember it being one of the few Lampoon movies which was bearable, and that final scene at Wally's World is certainly memorable. (6/10)

undeadmonkey: Mean Girls (2004) - Can't say I've seen it, but surprisingly I've heard good things about it for years. May catch it one day, but it's not high on my list. Didn't know Rachel McAdams was acting that early. (N/A)

JohnErle: Dead Ringers (1988) – I had a chance to watch this on tv a while ago, and just could not get into it at all. Way too bizarre and just unlikeable characters led me to turn it off. Didn't care for anybody in it, and wouldn't care ever to see it again. Cronenberg is so hit and miss for me. This is definitely, alongside Crash, one of his misses. (N/A)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

On Jaws and Piranha: Piranha was greenlighted as a Jaws ripoff actually. However, Joe Dante's direction and John Sayles's (who was also a script doctor on the remake) writing helped the film stand out against all the other Jaws ripoffs coming out at the time. Universal threatened to sue New World and Roger Corman but the suit was dropped after Spielberg saw the film and loved it. Some of the international posters even feature praise from Spielberg.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm far too lazy to change it
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Buscemi wrote:On Jaws and Piranha: Piranha was greenlighted as a Jaws ripoff actually. However, Joe Dante's direction and John Sayles's (who was also a script doctor on the remake) writing helped the film stand out against all the other Jaws ripoffs coming out at the time. Universal threatening to sue New World and Roger Corman but the suit was dropped after Spielberg saw the film and loved it. Some of the international posters even feature praise from Spielberg.
Oh right. I actually quite enjoyed the original myself, very much in the B-movie vein of horrors but fun nevertheless. I just found the similarities quite stunning.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Still haven't heard from Ron B.

MOVIE #39

Shrykespeare

Se7en (1995)
– Director: David Fincher; starring Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, Gwyneth Paltrow and Kevin Spacey. The greatest serial-killer movie ever. Dark, dank and gritty, and Fincher’s masterpiece. Kevin Spacey is amazing as John “DETECTIIIIIIIIIIVE!” Doe, the mysterious killer who murdered perpetrators of the Seven Deadly Sins. The ending still gives me chills. (4th appearance)

My favorite scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0R4WlEWkI8

silversurfer

The Usual Suspects (1995)
- Director: Bryan Singer; starring Gabriel Byrne, Kevin Spacey and Chazz Palminteri. I remember first watching this back in the mid 90s with the benefit of not knowing anything regarding it's now infamous ending, and was compelled with it's stunning narrative and ensemble cast. You hear every so often with movies such as this that their impact diminishes on subsequent viewings and so lessening the appreciation of the film, but I think that's an unfair assessment of such a movie. The movie should be seen appreciated for it's qualities beyond just the finale, and for that its a sublimely crafted mystery with a great script. In fact, I've found with subsequent viewings that I've actually enjoyed the movie MORE, as you can assemble all the little fragments of information together from Verbal Kint's story to see how the conclusion came about. Spacey is marvelous, but I also really enjoy the often underrated Palminteri's performance in the movie too, he offered a great balance to Spacey. But without doubt McQuarrie's script and Singer's direction are the highlights of the movie, they steer the plot forward with a verve and momentum, it's such a fully fleshed out narrative and totally immersing. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MjV4EwR7Mg

thegreenarrow

His Girl Friday (1940)
- Director: Howard Hawks; starring Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHVvnEWez1M

transformers

Happy Gilmore (1996)
- Director: Dennis Dugan; Starring: Adam Sandler, Christopher McDonald, Julie Bowen and Carl Weathers. This is Adam Sandler's masterpiece, He has never made a funnier film. I have seen this film 7-8 times and every time it's funny. Happy Gilmore is just such an over-the top funny character. Carl Weathers really steals the show as Chubs, Happy's mentor. Happy Gilmore is a film that I don't think Sandler will ever top. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAMmUhHeT1I

englishozzy

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
- Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Paul Freeman and John Rhys-Davies. The dawn of a new era in blockbuster movies, Indiana Jones had you on the front of your seat for the whole film. From the frenetic pace of the opening sequence to the German Fly Wing action scene you are constantly thrown into the battle with Indy at every turn. The genius was shooting the film as if a B-movie as Spielberg was then allowed to get away with doing whatever he liked to Ford. A fabulous script from Lawrence Kasdan provided the wit that so often lacked in a Lucas film making this one hell of a ride from start to finish. Classic. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uABsht2bgY

Ron Burgundy

Blow (2001)
- Director: Ted Demme; starring Johnny Depp, Penelope Cruz, Franka Potente, Jordi Molla, Rachel Griffiths, Paul Reubens, Cliff Curtis, Ethan Suplee and Ray Liotta. A very good film which depicts Johnny Depp as George Jung, the man who made his way up the drug dealing hierarchy. Depp plays his role perfectly and the whole story which seem to go a little predictable at first just turns into story where you cant guess whats next. Includes a cast which does great ontop of Depp's leading performance.

Buscemi

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
- Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Henry Thomas, Dee Wallace-Stone, Peter Coyote, Robert McNaughton and Drew Barrymore. The classic boy and his dog story but with a science fiction slant. Spielberg manages to take a basic premise and give it a new spin to create an extremely effective film that goes through all emotions in the way that only Spielberg knows how. You always feel for the characters and the things that they go through onscreen, through good and bad, theirs triumphs and failures, their happiness and sorrow. You can't help but love that little guy through everything that happens to him. Thanks to Spielberg and writer Melissa Matheson, E.T. becomes more than just a character. He becomes real flesh and blood to the viewer. As for the acting, the characters come off as being real. The broken family aspect to the film is well-done and you can feel the problems that they are going through. The film also has the ability to one to relate to its characters. Through scenes of Elliott and E.T. communicating with each other and building their friendship, you can see yourself in either role. We have all been through something like this before, depending on being a new person in a surrounding or just meeting new people. With its meanings combined with its pure enjoyment, you can see why it is called "the story that touched the world". (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4yUQJeKZNs

Chienfantome

Back to the Future (1985)
– Director: Robert Zemeckis, starring Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Crispin Glover, Leah Thompson. Two time-traveling films in a row. I told you I loved the genre ! Although this is very much different from Twelve Monkeys of course. Back to the Future is one of those movies you watch as a kid or as a teen and it makes you dream about adventure, about growing up and living those same kind of crazy adventure yourself when you grow up. And then you keep watching it as an adult, you keep loving, and it keeps making you dream, although you know now you probably never will travel through time in a DeLorean. But this is the kind of film that makes you love cinema for the escape it offers. For the dreams it puts in your head. There’s a part of me that does not abandon the idea that one day, I will be Michael J. Fox. I will be Marty McFly. I will be this regular guy living a mind-defying adventure. Thank you Back to the Future. (the sequel barely missed my list). (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yosuvf7Unmg

numbersix

Rope (1948)
- Director: Alfred Hitchcock; starring John Dall, Farley Granger and James Stewart. While I often criticize adaptations of plays for not being cinematic enough, Hitch transcended this by created a seemingly one-take film, with a free-flowing camera drifting through the rooms of a NY pad. There, two graduates murder a classmate and hold a party after concealing the corpse, casually debating with their “housemaster” about whether it’s justifiable to murder if you can be considered superior to a person. Stewart is excellent as the housemaster, arguing the cause for morality and channeling his brilliant performance in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. This is also an important post-war film, for it may not deal with battles or post-traumatic stress, but it does cut to the origins of what started something so heinous in 1930’s Germany. The students misuse the philosophy of Nietzsche and others to justify their acts, just like Hitler did. It’s a chilling tale of how easy we can become something despicable.

Here’s the opening scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJo5ih2HkxE

Banks

I Spy (2002)
- Director: Betty Thomas; starring Eddie Murphy, Owen Wilson and Famke Janssen. When many see I Spy, they probably see a forgettable, throw away mid-level comedy from Eddie Murphy. I see one of the most underrated movies of the past decade, a buddy cop film that gets each of its buddy’s exactly right. Murphy is maybe his funniest since the 90s as the arrogant boxer Kelly Robinson, and Owen Wilson is not annoying for once in his career as the NSA agent that has to work with him to catch the bad guy and stop the MacGuffin. This is my requisite “dumb comedy “ entry, and it’s one that I watch whenever it’s on and I will never get tired of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ePVWDcEWo0

BarcaRulz

Stand By Me (1986)
- Director: Rob Reiner; starring Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, Jerry O'Connell and Kiefer Sutherland. In my opinion this is the best coming-of-age film there is. Based on something so simple, this film was able to make so much more out of the source material. Some great performances from the child actors, especially River Phoenix, and it is great to watch friendships form and be tested. I guess this film is made better to me personally because I watched it at a time when I was “coming of age” as well. I re-watched it recently, and it has lost none of its charm and innocence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUVnfaA-kpI

Geezer

Hot Rod (2007)
- Director: Akiva Schaffer; starring Andy Samberg, Bill Hader, Danny McBride, Isla Fisher and Jorma Taccone. Its just a really, really funny movie. Andy Samberg, Bill Hader and Danny McBride are all comedic geniuses for our generation, and they merge here in one of the funniest movies of the past decade. Don't look for anything fancy, just enjoy the humor. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PlrxUzKYoI

leestu

Tommy (1975)
- Director: Ken Russell; starring Roger Daltrey, Ann-Margret, Oliver Reed, Elton John, and Tina Turner. I first saw this rock opera, written by The Who, before I even knew who they were, after watching it on TV one night just by chance. I was young and hadn’t seen anything of it’s kind before. So for me it was one of those movies that I kept thinking and talking about for a long time afterwards and never forgot. A few years later I was into The Who, had seen this movie countless times, including the stage show version, and had the album. Okay it may be a bit self indulgent and theatrically over the top but it is excellent music, and a personal favourite of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9WGIYjxzVU

W

Glory (1989)
- Director: Edward Zwick; starring Matthew Broderick, Morgan Freeman, Cary Elwes, Denzel Washington and Andre Braugher. I'm a sucker for a good war/historical film. Based on the true story of the all-black Union volunteer company, Glory is a story of prejudice and its overcoming. Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman are great as usual (Denzel won an Oscar for it) and Matthew Broderick gives--easily--one of his two best performances, the other being Ferris Bueller. The regiment fights for everything they get and goes from hand me down rags to labor detail to actual combat. The only Civil War film on my list.

Prayer before assaulting Fort Wagner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lQZF4c1G1I

NSpan

Monty Python and the Life of Brian (1979)
– Director: Terry Jones; starring Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam. He's not the Messiah--he's a very naughty boy. This is the best of Python, in my opinion. And we all have George Harrison (aka Mr. Papadopolous) to thank for funding the project (and his motivation wasn't financial gain--he just wanted to see more of the troupe in action). One of the funniest--and most quotable--movies of all time. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVHhg67RVd4

undeadmonkey

Aladdin (1992)
- Directors: Ron Clements, John Musker; starring Scott Weinger, Robin Williams and Linda Larkin – Up till now all the films on my list are a 9 out of 10 ratings-wise. Which to me is a fantastic rating; there are only minor problems/things that I see wrong with the film. Really they are just nitpicks actually, and to me they don’t deter at all from the enjoyment of the movie. Just like this movie, it’s got an interesting rags-to-riches story, great comic relief side characters, a dash of magic thrown in, a terrifying villain and some memorable songs. The only part that I find a little cliché is the love story; I just don’t find it as well incorporated as I think it should be. But like I said, it doesn’t deter me from enjoying the movie one bit.

Lastly, I just wanted to point out, that makes it 38 movies, which are coming up on my list, that I define to be ‘perfect’ movies. Of course, I know that ‘perfect’ is subjective. What I mean by perfect though is that these upcoming films are exactly what they set out to achieve and that nothing could be changed about them to make them better. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNFs_sESJEc

JohnErle

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)
– Director: Peter Weir; starring Russell Crowe, Paul Bettany, James D’Arcy and Edward Woodall. A big-budget, historically accurate, rousing adventure movie for grown ups that boldly refused to pander to modern audiences. It was destined to lose money but I wish they'd make a dozen more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v7z6AyuqdM

With its fifth appearance, The Usual Suspects is up to #3. Se7en jumps to #21, and Raiders up to #27. His Girl Friday, funnily enough, jumps into the Top 100 at #100. Probably be gone by tomorrow.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #39

Shrykespeare: Se7en (1995) – A classic modern thriller with some great direction and dialogue. Still unnerving even after so many viewings.

silversurfer: The Usual Suspects (1995) - Can't say I've enjoyed the movie more after knowing the twist, but it's still a damn fine movie.

thegreenarrow: His Girl Friday (1940) - A classic. Some of the best comedy dialogue ever committed to screen.

transformers: Happy Gilmore (1996) - Like Billy Madison, I've seen parts (and it wasn't bad) but not enough to judge it.

englishozzy: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Great fun. Action movies don't get much better than this.

Ron Burgundy

Buscemi: E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - A good film, no doubt, but strangely I've never wanted to watch it again.

Chienfantome: Back to the Future (1985) – More classics from the 80's. This is a film I do want to watch again. Over and over again. Clever meets fun and they have a ball in this flick.

Banks: I Spy (2002) - Really? Well, Youtube isn't working for me right now so I'll check the trailer later, but something tells me (probably because Murphy hasn't been in anything decent in quite a while) this is not for me.

BarcaRulz: Stand By Me (1986) - This film is so popular here that it's ridiculous. But as coming-of-age films go, it's one of the best. Full of delight, pain and fury. Good stuff.

Geezer: Hot Rod (2007) - A few of you guys on the boards have raved about this. I like Samberg's digital shorts (and comedy songs), but the stuff in the trailer didn't blow me away. Next time it's on TV, maybe.

leestu: Tommy (1975) - Argh! Unwatchable stuff. It's too insane and camp and incoherent to truly enjoy. I think it's the scene with the beans pouring out of the TV and filling up the room that marks the point where you should really stop watching. There's trippy films... but this is like a bad acid flashback!

W: Glory (1989) - Zwick is cheap and sentimental when it comes to emotions, but with Glory he just about got it right. A very moving story that introduced me to the likes of Freeman and Washington.

NSpan: Monty Python and the Life of Brian (1979) – Agreed that it's the best of the Python films. I think it's the most coherent (not like the lads did coherence). Hilarious scenes from start to finish.

undeadmonkey: Aladdin (1992) - I actually don't remember the villian. Then again, it has been at least 15 years until I last watched it.

JohnErle: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) – I'd hardly call an adaptation of a series of fictional books "historically accurate". More like "slightly more realistic than Pirates of the Caribbean" ;). It was okay, but to be honest I felt it dragged a little and I've never wanted to rewatch it.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote:MOVIE #39

leestu: Tommy (1975) - Argh! Unwatchable stuff. It's too insane and camp and incoherent to truly enjoy. I think it's the scene with the beans pouring out of the TV and filling up the room that marks the point where you should really stop watching. There's trippy films... but this is like a bad acid flashback!
Hahahaha :lol: Sometimes you surprise me with what you do and don't like, but not this time. I knew you would hate this one. :D

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare: Se7en (1995) –I started watching it six months ago and my DVD player broke about 25 minutes into the film, still need to finish it( I stole the disc from Netflix after breaking open my DVD player, I just need to get around to watching it).

silversurfer: The Usual Suspects (1995) -Dynamite thriller, great choice,also on my list.(9.5/10)

thegreenarrow: His Girl Friday (1940) -Haven't seen it

englishozzy: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) -One of the most entertaining and excellent adventure of all time, also on my list, great pick.(9.5/10)

Buscemi: E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - A good film, I just never fell in love with it like others have(7.5/10)

Chienfantome: Back to the Future (1985) –I sadly haven't seen this.

Six: Rope(1948)-Haven't seen it

Banks: I Spy (2002) -This was actually the first DVD I ever bought, the last good live action Eddie Murphy film. It's actually pretty funny and entertaining.(8/10)

BarcaRulz: Stand By Me (1986) -Haven't seen it

Geezer: Hot Rod (2007) - Yes Geez!!!! Stupid comedy goldmine, extremely funny film that also made my list, awesome pick geez!(9.5/10)

leestu: Tommy (1975)-No Thanks.

W: Glory (1989) -Haven't seen it, I've heard great things, I want to check it out

NSpan: Monty Python and the Life of Brian (1979)-I love Monty Python, just haven't seen this.

undeadmonkey: Aladdin (1992) -A great animated flick one of my faves when I was a kid, If this were a top 200 it would have made my list(9/10

JohnErle: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) –This is one of the single most boring films I have ever seen, I hated it(2/10)
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Tommy sucks. Easily one of the 5 worst films I've ever seen. And I LOVE the Who.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote: JohnErle: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) – I'd hardly call an adaptation of a series of fictional books "historically accurate". More like "slightly more realistic than Pirates of the Caribbean" ;). It was okay, but to be honest I felt it dragged a little and I've never wanted to rewatch it.
Those books are renowned by historians for their accuracy, and I think the film did a very good job as well.

I liked POTC very much but the two movies have very little in common apart from sailing vessels.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke - This film scared the living daylights out of me, especially the scene with the guy that had been left to starve to death. 9/10

Chien - A really fun movie to watch, Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd do really well and im a big fan of the trilogy. 8/10

Geezer - Cant believe this has appeared three times on this countdown already!! It was a funny movie but nowhere near my own countdown. 7/10

UDM - One of my favourite animation movies of all time and im pleased with the amount of love it is getting on this countdown. 8/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #39

Wow, FOUR movies from my list today.

silversurfer - The Usual Suspects - Yet to come. Our sixth overlap. (10/10)

Chienfantome - Back to the Future - Our third overlap. (9/10)

Easily the first time that surfer and Chien's picks have topped my list for the day!

englishozzy - Raiders of the Lost Ark - Our 13th overlap. (9/10)

undeadmonkey - Aladdin - Ah, my #99. Our eighth overlap. (9/10)

NSpan - The Life of Brian - As I said a few days ago, I love this film. I am a Python aficianodo from way back, and although this one didn't quite make my list, I'll always watch it if it's on TV. (9/10)

Buscemi - E.T. - Great film. I was 12 when I saw this, the perfect age to see it. Haven't seen it much since then, but it's awesome. (Bit o' trivia: did you know that the girl that Elliott kissed in the science lab was Erika Eleniak, who would grow up to be a Playboy Playmate and a Baywatch girl?) (9/10)

JohnErle - Master and Commander - I rated this an 8/10, though I can barely remember any of the story save the "lesser of two weevils" line. (8/10)

W - Glory - Terrific film. Took some getting used to seeing Ferris Bueller in Civil War garb, but it was an outstanding film. I think it was the first Denzel film I ever saw. (7/10)

transformers - Happy Gilmore - Don't like most of Sandler's early flicks, but this one is the exception. Probably because I love golf. I would probably have smacked Kevin Nealon too. Lee Trevino always shaking his head in disbelief was genius. (7/10)

BarcaRulz - Stand By Me - Haven't seen this in a long time, but it's a good story. (6/10)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare wrote:Movie #39

Easily the first time that surfer and Chien's picks have topped my list for the day!
Who knows, maybe not the last... ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron Burgundy has finally send me some more stuff, including #39, which I have added above. The silly blighter forgot to send me his #40, however... :roll: