Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Toy Story 3
It seems way too soon for me to consider it in a Top 100, I have only seen it 6 months ago in theaters, but it sure is one of the best American films of 2010. I can't say I didn't have tears coming to my eyes at the end ;)

Surfer - Beetlejuice
It's been a while since I last saw it, but what a blast it was. It's cynical, caustic. So dark and funny, so wild and imaginative. One of the very few very good films by Burton.

greenarrow - The Appartment
Wilder was such a great mixer ofcomedy and drama, and this is probably the best example of the man's ability to do so. No wonder I listed it myself earlier ;)

transformers - Unforgiven
What an amazing filmmaker Clint Eastwood is. Unforgiven proved it to many who might have forgotten it before. A gritty, bitter, spleeny western perfectly mastered. The film missed my own list by a very narrow margin !

Ozzy - Into the Wild
Sean Penn is a good filmmaker, and he probably proved it best with this melancholic adventure examining the incredible journey of a man. Hirsch is impressive, and Holbrook is very moving. Excellent film.

Buscemi - The Big Lebowski
They don't make many films like The Big Lebowski. In fact, it truly is one of a kind, isn't it ? So flegmatic, so smart, so funny. No, they don't make many like The Big Lebowski. Worthy of the several occurences in these lists.

Six - Blue Velvet
I'd say this is probably my 3rd favourite Lynch film, behind Mulholland Dr. and Lost Highway. A film where the fascination coexists with the disgust and the awkwardness (is that a word ?), and that is absolutely brilliant.

Banks - Up in the Air
I'm surprised by how popular this film is, although it is, yes, a good film. Maybe I haven't seen it enough, only once. Maybe it grows on you. Right now it's a film I like very much, but nothing more.

Barca - Death at a Funeral
It definitely was a funny film. Tudyk is insane, some situations are hilarious. Overall it seems minor to me, but nice.

Geezer - Stripes
I've heard of it by surfing the web and discussing with Americans, but otherwise it falls in the "Unknown Film" catergory in France. Never seen it.

Leestu - Jaws
Strangely, it's a Spielberg film I have not seen THAT much. Maybe twice. Maybe because I don't need it to avoid the big blue. It's a great film.

W - I love you, man
I completely bought the Rudd/Segel bromance. The two of them have perfect chemistry. The film in itself isn't very surprising, but it's good in its range. I really liked it.

NSpan - National Lampoon's Vacation
I think... I think I've seen this one a few years ago on the cable... Hmmm... not sure. I remember having seen one of those Vacations films with Chevy Chase... but which was it. I remember the kids wanted to go to a theme park... so it seems it's this one... but honestly it did not make a lasting impression on me and I don't remember.

UDM - Mean Girls
Here's one film I did not expect much of (a Lindsay Lohan comedy !!), but found very good. Good writing, excellent actors. A nice surprise.

JohnErle - Dead Ringers
I'm always curious for Cronenberg, but I haven't seen this one yet.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Seven
I still haven't rewatched it since quite a few years, but I have seen it enough back then to know how great Fincher's film is. I love the atmosphere the director developped. It's a fantastic character of the film. Great choice Shryke.

Surfer - The Usual Suspects
The two great emblematic Spacey roles, one after another, guys ;) It's like Seven. It's a film I have watched a lot in the 90's, but not once in the past decade I think. And if I did, maybe I'd consider it for my Top 100.

greenarrow - His Girl FridayExcellent choice, arrow. I haven't picked it, but absolutely love it, like many films of Hawks, and many screwball comedies. Well done.

Ozzy - Happy Gilmore
I'm honestly baffled by all those passable Sandler comedies listed. You guys are strange ;) I've seen this one once on tv a few years back, it was barely funny. Too bad, cause there are a few Sandler films I love.

Ozzy - Raiders of the Lost Ark
Adventure at its best. Indiana Jones films (the first 3 I mean) are the most iconic fims of the genre for a good reason : they are the best in the field. I loooooove it ;)

Ron B - Blow
This is not a first appearance, as I remember having already written a few rounds back how bad this film is ;)

Buscemi - E.T.
There are films I haven't seen in ten years, and then there are films like E.T. which I haven't seen since childhood. And when I say childhood, I mean when I was 8 or 9, so real childhood ! I honestly don't know what to say about it then !

Six - Rope
One of the Hitchcocks I have yet to see. I remember I almost caught it on TV 5 or 6 years ago, but something went wrong and I could not do so. But I definitely will some day, because Ireally, really want to.

Banks - I Spy
You don't say ! I had seen this one in theater back then... and I remember it being less awful than I thought it would be... but nothing good either !

Barca - Stand By Me
I've only seen this one recently, last year in theater. I was so happy to finally see it. I don't consider it a masterpiece, but it certainly was a very good film, a great film about childhood, about friendship, about nostalgia. Very nice film.

Geezer - Hot Rod
I haven't seen it, because in Paris the release was butchered by its distributor, but I intend to see it one day because as long as Danny McBride has a role in it, it's worth seeing !

Leestu - Tommy
I've never seen it !

W - Glory
I'm not a huge fan of Zwick, but he has made a couple of very decent films, and Glory is one of them. I haven't seen it in ages, but I remember fondly of it.

NSpan - Life of Brian
I will never get tired of watching Life of Brian. It cracks me up every time I see it. The Monty Pythons are some wild comedians, and their art of making us laugh has no equivalent.

UDM - Aladdin
A Disney I have watched quite a lot in my early teens with my sister. It was a great adventure animated film. I don't know what I'd think of it as an adult, but the child I was loved it.

John Erle
Every single time someone tells me he or she loves the Pirates of the Caribbean film, I love telling them "It's shit. Take a look at Master and Commander, now THAT is a gripping and fascinating aquatic adventure !". I never read the books, but Weir's film is a fantastic cinematographic ride that convinced me by its lack of sensationalism and its search of realism. Even if the french are the bad guys in it ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #39

Shrykespeare: Se7en (1995) – Fincher seems to have a knack for creating great serial killer movies, as Zodiac was a fantastic follow up to this. Probably my favourite serial killer movie also, though I'm sure many would suggest something like Silence Of The Lambs as competition. I love that Spacey's character isn't revealed until so late in the movie, it just makes the mystery surrounding him all the more fantastic. Funny we both picked Spacey movies this round though. I hope we'll cross paths a few more times as we approach our top movies though, as I suspect you will start to like at least half of my remaining movies. (10/10)

thegreenarrow: His Girl Friday (1940) - Well you did introduce it to me so it's no surprise to see it again here. Along with Wilder's comedies this is certainly one of the greatest scripts I have ever seen translated onto screen, every word of dialogue is a delight to hear. considering Geez is a bit of an afficianado on dialogue heavy (mixed with some great entertainment too) movies, I would fully recommend this to him, i doubt he would be disappointed, especially as he has been willing to watch the older classics such as Hitch etc. (10/10)

transformers: Happy Gilmore (1996) - Is it possible for Sandler to create a masterpiece?...Maybe this is an American thing, because it seems to be you guys who love him so much. i just don't get it, his comedy just isn't funny at all to me. (2/10)

englishozzy: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Combining some of the greatest talents for adventure movies at their peak, this was only gonna turn out great. Not my favourite of the trilogy, but it's still a damn lot of fun, from the opening sequence to the truly frightening finale. (9/10)

Ron Burgundy: Blow (2001) - To be honest I remember very little of this other than I just didn't particularly like it. It was around this time Depp was taking this and Once Upon A Time In Mexico and I didn't like either movies. So as a fan of Depp that was dissapointing. (4/10)

Buscemi: E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - Completely concur with your sentiments, absolutely delightful movie from start to finish, Spielberg crafted an adventure story with characters you care deeply for, that ending scene with the decontamination plastic wrap around E.T always brings me to tears, but is then transformed to elation when the kids on the bikes start darting through the neighborhood to help him escape. Spellbindingly good. (10/10)

Chienfantome: Back to the Future (1985) – Wow, another of my absolute favourites, this is turning into a good round for me. I still hold out hope of travelling in a DeLorean time machine. And having a dog called Einstein. And being able to skateboard on the back of a ute. And living in the 50s with diners and milkshakes etc. Man, this movie is the bee knees. One of the greatest adventure movies ever, watched it a couple of months ago for what must be well over the 50th time, and it still never fails to delight me. (10/10)

numbersix: Rope (1948) - I'm still surprised this movie isn't cited by many as one of Hitch's masterpieces. I only stumpled upon the movie by accident, when far lesser movies have been heralded as his greatest, but this is without doubt one of the greatest dramas ever made, great suspense and very innovative for it's style of direction. (10/10)

Banks: I Spy (2002) - Doesn't really appeal to me I'm afraid. Dumb comedies can be great, but for me they need to be intelligently dumb (if that makes sense), not just dumb, and I feel this falls in the latter category, making it more of a guilty pleasure than an absolute favourite. But I could of course be wrong. (N/A)

BarcaRulz: Stand By Me (1986) - Sort of became iconic for it's generation as a coming of age story. There have been better (my next pick coming up tonight I feel is a marvellous example of a coming of age story), but it is still very good with good performances all round. Such a shame Phoenix didn't get a chance to reach his full potential, as if his brother is anything to go by there was obviously talent in that family. And you even get a little fat Jerry O'Connell, so all is good! (7/10)

Geezer: Hot Rod (2007) - Okay, it was woefully bad, but it wasn't very good either. And really, comic geniuses of our generation? Now that just makes me sad. To think in 30 years time we'll have names like these guys (and I don't even mind Hader) sitting alongside real comedy greats such as Peter Sellers, Bill Murray, Gene Wilder and Jack Lemmon. Man, that just doesn't bare thinking about... I just don't really like Samberg as an actor. He's not particularly funny and this movie didn't do anything to draw comedy out of him. Watchable. At best. (5/10)

leestu: Tommy (1975) - Haven't had the opportunity to watch this yet, but I think I need to. Though maybe, going by comments on here, I should have a couple of drinks first... (N/A)

W: Glory (1989) - Another I've been meaning to watch for years, will get around to it some day. I watched a couple of war movies recently which were both very good, The Killing Fields (which I think Chien listed a while back), and Empire of The Sun. It's so great when you find a really powerful war movie amongst all the dross. Interestingly enough too we watched Ferris Bueller again the other day for the first time in years, and I couldn't help noticing that despite all the acclaim Broderick received and the iconic status Bueller has gotten, his character is a bit of a dick. He doesn't really evolve during the movie, he was uninteresting as a character and just carries on being a dick. Where as Alan Ruck's character was much more interesting. But I digress... (N/A)

NSpan: Monty Python and the Life of Brian (1979) – I watched Holy Grail again the other day and agree with six's sentiments which he made a while back, this is a much more coherent plot and works much better than the episodic narrative of Grail. Still, both are great, but I think I prefer this a little more. (8/10)

undeadmonkey: Aladdin (1992) - Again. Really. Man, I must be one of the few that just don't rate this as high as other Disney 'classics'. Maybe it's a nostalgia trip for a few of you, but the characters, bar the Genie and Zafar are pretty weak and the story is so tired. And Jafar was never terrifying, his was intentionally hilarious. Compare him to Cruella De Vill or Malefiscent or even Scar and he doesn't really add up to much as a villain. Would much rather watch even The Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Best and The Lion King over this. (5/10)

JohnErle: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) – Has this not already appeared? Haven't watched it before, so maybe I should give it a go. (N/A)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Glad to know you watched and liked "The Killing Fields", Surfer. Indeed I listed it in my Top a few weeks back. ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Another sign that we're fucked with Samberg around: he's been cast as Curly in The Three Stooges movie (Jim Carrey has dropped out).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

They really just shouldn't be making a Three Stooges Movie. Who is cast in it doesn't really matter.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I think Peter Farrelly actually dismissed that as a false rumour. But just to think we went from Carrey, Penn and Del Toro to Samberg and Johnny Knoxville is just sad...

And yes Chien, I was very impressed by The Killing Fields, such a powerful and poignant movie. I don't understand why the two leads haven't gone to do more work, as they were both very good (especially the guy who play Pran).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote:I think Peter Farrelly actually dismissed that as a false rumour. But just to think we went from Carrey, Penn and Del Toro to Samberg and Johnny Knoxville is just sad...

And yes Chien, I was very impressed by The Killing Fields, such a powerful and poignant movie. I don't understand why the two leads haven't gone to do more work, as they were both very good (especially the guy who play Pran).
By "the two leads", do you mean Sam Waterston and Haing S. Ngor?

Well, Sam Waterston was a regular on Law & Order for SIXTEEN seasons. That's a fair amount of work.

And Ngor, I'm sorry to say, was murdered in Los Angeles in 1996. The murder was suspected to have been a revenge killing for his opposition of the Khmer Rouge.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Yes, I did mean those two. Sad to hear about Ngor, he was a delight to watch on screen, he had a delicacy and subtleness to his role which made him compelling to watch. I thought Waterston would have gone on to have more profound acting roles in movies, but maybe that wasn't what he wanted.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #39

Shrykespeare - Se7en (1995) – awesome choice, i was surprised by how few times it showed up in the first half of the countdown, but now it's starting to show up more, which is a good thing! At first I thought you guys might not like it as much, but i guess you guys like it much more

silversurfer - The Usual Suspects (1995) - nice description. i hope to see it someday again as i wasn't blown away like i was expecting to be.

transformers - Happy Gilmore (1996) - Unlike Billy Madison which i can't stand, i was actually able to sit through this movie without wishing a train would fall on us. I wonder though if any of the more heartfelt sandler films will make an appearance.

englishozzy - Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - fun stuff, It's been quite a while since i've seen the trilogy, hopefully soon i'll be able to see them again.

Ron Burgundy - Blow (2001) - AHH! this movie was so boring. There are very few movies i hate and i'm sorry to say that this is one of them. Not even two of my favorite actors could save the movie for me. Such a waste.

Buscemi - E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - I wonder if Spielberg will be the most cited director. He definitely has to be in the top 3 already. As for the movie, I haven't seen it since i was about 7. I liked the movie, but I don't really remember much of it.

Chienfantome - Back to the Future (1985) – Is this your favorite time traveling movie? or are there more to come. I think this movie was a bit before my time and i didn't grow up with it, So it doesn't really blow my hair back, but it is a fun movie and christopher lloyd is great in it.

Haven't Seen

thegreenarrow - His Girl Friday* (1940) - this is just about on the top of my to-see list

numbersix - Rope* (1948) - actually have never heard a description of the movie before, it sounds fantastic. Definitely goes on my list.

Banks - I Spy (2002)

BarcaRulz - Stand By Me* (1986)

Geezer - Hot Rod (2007)

leestu - Tommy (1975)

W - Glory (1989)

NSpan - Monty Python and the Life of Brian (1979)

JohnErle - Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World* (2003) have always wanted to see this, just haven't had the chance to yet.

*on my list

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

undeadmonkey wrote:
Buscemi - E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - I wonder if Spielberg will be the most cited director. He definitely has to be in the top 3 already. As for the movie, I haven't seen it since i was about 7. I liked the movie, but I don't really remember much of it.
I honestly would not be surprised. He's not known as the greatest filmmaker of our generation for nothing. Heck, if Dawson from Dawson's Creek rates him the best, we should take notice...

I was actually surprised, considering I've never really associated myself as a huge fan of Spielberg's, as to how many movies of his made my top 100, and indeed that he is the only director to have 2 movies in my top ten! I guess his quality shines through though.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

silversurfer19 wrote:Yes, I did mean those two. Sad to hear about Ngor, he was a delight to watch on screen, he had a delicacy and subtleness to his role which made him compelling to watch. I thought Waterston would have gone on to have more profound acting roles in movies, but maybe that wasn't what he wanted.
Besides Law & Order, he's been the pitchman for insurance companies directed towards older people, which Waterston spoofs here:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/2340/saturday ... -old-glory
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Man on the Moon followed by Moon... how poetic is that?

MOVIE #38

Shrykespeare

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
– Director: James Cameron; starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong and Robert Patrick. Forget Titanic, forget Avatar, THIS is Cameron’s best work. The match-up between Arnold and the T-1000 puts most other action movie match-ups to shame. Linda Hamilton transitioned from a scared rabbit in the first film to a buff, tough, muchacha here. And the T-1000 is one of the best-realized villains ever conceived… who else got goose bumps when, after being liquefied, it started to reconstitute itself? And the ending… I was not expecting to well up, but well up I did. One of the best endings, ever, full stop. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajuMYNYtuY

silversurfer

Harold and Maude (1971)
- Director: Hal Ashby; starring Ruth Gordon, Bud Cort and Vivian Pickles. I remember we went to a local restaurant a few years ago which hosted movie nights (basically you pay for your meal but are presented with a movie to watch while you eat - usually an art house classic), and this particular night the owner was talking of movies which were coming up in the coming months, and Harold and Maude was one he was raving about. I'd heard of the movie before, but (rather stupidly) was a little put off by the relationship of Gordon and Cort's characters due to their age difference. However, we gave it a go and I was so glad I did. From the opening scene I knew i was into something fascinating and delightful, where Harold, carefully walking through the study, makes a little name tag, lights a candle, and then hangs himself before his not-very-startled mother responds by asking him if he thinks it's funny. A tiny smile indicates that yes, he does...very much so! But beyond the absurd comedy is a wonderful story of human existence from both ends of the spectrum and how their relationship develops is a delight to watch. It's witty and both leads bounce off each other perfectly (I still don't understand how Gordon didn't win an Oscar for her role, I suppose it was just a little too leftfield for the Academy), while Ashby's direction is well paced and Cat Stevens' soundtrack complements the emotional tone of the movie just right. So I guess while it may still offend some people, I found it such a delightfully uplifting movie from start to finish. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mz3TkxJhPc

thegreenarrow

Early Summer (1951)
- Director: Yazujiro Ozu; starring Setsuko Hara, Chishu Ryu and Chikage Awashima. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCrlBOH-72I

transformers

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut (1999)
- Director: Trey Parker and Matt Stone; starring Trey Parker and Matt Stone. Trey Parker and Matt Stone shocked and offended audiences with the South Park movie and just about every minute of it is brilliant, witty, vulgar and side-splittingly funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAYMJnO9LBQ

englishozzy

Man on the Moon (1999)
- Director: Milos Forman; starring Jim Carrey, Gerry Becker, Danny DeVito and Courtney Love. Easily Jim Carrey's best performance to date, he embodies Kaufman's personality and by the end of the movie you truly believe you are watching Kaufman forgetting that it is Carrey at all. A perfect biopic of a controversial comedian that plays out as if Kaufman himself had made the movie. This being obvious in the opening sequence with Carrey telling us that we are not seeing the film as it is rubbish and standing there while the end credits come up before we have watched anything. Of course this film would not have been so far up my list if it wasn't for the performance from my fav actor. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L9RtSw943A

Ron Burgundy

Moon (2009)
- Director: Duncan Jones; starring Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey and Dominique McElligott. A new type of Sci-Fi that I think is right up there with Sunshine and the new Star Trek, but better. With hints of mystery and drama it makes for maximum intrigue. It’s about a guy who is on the moon working by himself, rather lonely, harvesting a new type of energy, and he later finds out that he may not be as alone as he first thought. Go watch it now if you haven't already. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q

Buscemi

House of Sand and Fog (2003)
- Director: Vadim Perelman; starring Jennifer Connelly, Ben Kingsley, Shoreh Aghdashloo, Ron Eldard and Frances Fisher. The battle over a house between the previous owner and the new owner in 1991 California becomes a matter of life and death in this drama. The acting is incredible, with the viewer being able to feel the characters' emotions and struggles over this battle. The direction (from a first-timer, no less) has feel of a seasoned pro who knows his actors and let's them drive. The screenplay compliments the acting and direction and has probably one of the best surprise endings in cinematic history. The film also has some sentimental value: it was the first R-rated movie I ever got to see by myself (I was thirteen and my mother got me my ticket while she went to see the PG-13 Mona Lisa Smile in another auditorium).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fovfxKGCYzo

Chienfantome

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
– Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, John Rhys-Davies, Denholm Elliott and Paul Freeman. I was born the same year as one of the most iconic film characters ever. It could be a reason for a special bond with Indiana Jones, but it’s not really. The qualities of the film need no extra personal reason. It is just plain great. Raiders of the Lost Ark, for me, personifies the Adventure genre. It created the perfect jubilation of the genre. All the fun, all the action, all the humor, personified in not only an amazing character, but in a whole universe, so perfectly crafted. Spielberg understands what needs to populate such a film. All the supporting players, the exoticism, the danger, the jokes. And he found the perfect actor to fit the fedora. Harrison Ford has never been better than under the hat of Indiana Jones. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7THge74MSpQ

numbersix

A Clockwork Orange (1971)
- Director: Stanley Kubrick; starring Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Magee, Godfred Quigley and Anthony Sharp. This film caused outrage from the start, and it’s still not surprising to see people revile at it. It’s a pretty faithful adaptation (the film ignores the final chapter of the book, which many criticize as being flat) of a provocative novel, but it’s an important one. Both Kubrick and author Burgess are trying to deal with the role of violence in our society, and most importantly of society’s way of dealing with it. You can’t help but see the vast lack of empathy the government has as they try to force a solution instead of preventing it naturally. The ultimate irony is that the government’s actions almost makes you feel sorry for a rapist and murderer as his free will is snatched away through a series of horrific experiments. It also is a story about the emptiness of vengeance, told through the subplot of Mr Alexander whose wife is raped by Alex’s gang (that scene makes me sick to my stomach) and eventually dies. Interestingly, something like this actually happened to writer Anthony Burgess, so in a way this story is also cathartic in coming to terms with his trauma and rage. Add this to an incredibly unique art and music design, and you’ve got one of the best and most thought-provoking films of all time. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Xc-9YeWE4

Banks

My Cousin Vinny (1992)
- Director: Jonathan Lynn; starring Joe Pesci, Marisa Tomei, Fred Gwynne, Ralph Macchio and Bruce McGill. The epitome of a timeless, instantly classic, well-made comedy. Joe Pesci is always a sight to behold when he’s trying his hand at comedy, especially here. And there’s a reason Tomei won her only Oscar for this movie, she does almost as much of the comedic heavy lifting as Pesci – culminating in easily the best scene of the movie. “Imagine you’re a deeya…”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMjwiP29cg4

BarcaRulz

The Shining (1980)
- DirectorL Stanley Kubrick; starring Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall and Danny Lloyd. One of the most intense films ever made. The mood it is able to set from the moment the family arrives is amazingly eerie and the suspense just begins to build almost unbearably. Fantastically acted and well written, not to mention superbly directed. The soundtrack is also fantastic. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bztYTkBiR0Q

Geezer

Saw (2004)
- Director: James Wan; starring Cary Elwes, Leigh Whannell, Tobin Bell and Danny Glover. I am no fan of horror films. I don't tend to like anything in the horror genre. But the hype around Saw when it came out was so great that I had to see it. I went to see it by myself, one of the few times I've done that, and it never left me. I was simply shocked by how good a movie it was. It wasn't particularly scary, it was just a strikingly original film with a fantastic plot, that carries itself without an inflated budget. It’s absolutely a phenomenal film, with the single greatest ending of any film I have ever seen. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKPy5RWuqNA

leestu

In the Heat of the Night (1967)
- Director: Norman Jewison; starring Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger, Warren Oates and Lee Grant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LsoG2H_aek

W

Monsters, Inc. (2001)
- Director: Pete Docter; starring Billy Crystal, John Goodman and Steve Buscemi. Though not most people’s favorite Pixar film, Monsters, Inc. is certainly mine. Sully and Mike Wazowski seem to have been built around what John Goodman and Billy Crystal would be as monsters. The voice/character match is pretty much perfect. And Boo is so cute! I love the whole Monstropolis universe and the Laugh Factory is a great attraction if you ever get to Disney World. (2nd appearance)

Monster's Inc. Musical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqaHBfBSSuc

NSpan

Rushmore (1998)
– Director: Wes Anderson; starring Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Olivia Williams and Brian Cox. Taking cues from Hal Ashby (Harold & Maude) and Mike Nichols (The Graduate), Wes Anderson--for better or worse--ushered in a new era of filmmaking. Without Rushmore, films like Igby Goes Down, Juno, Charlie Bartlett, Rocket Science, Little Miss Sunshine, The Squid and the Whale, and all of Jared Hess's films would probably not exist... (I'd delve into this deeper, but the AV Club says it all quite eloquently in this article: http://www.avclub.com/articles/10-films ... s-an,2054/). Some would argue that we'd be better off *without* this new so-called "indie" genre, but I doubt anyone would deny the impact it has had in the world of film. Historical significance aside, Rushmore is a smart and entertaining film from start to finish. Genuinely charming, Rushmore was most of the world's introduction to the phenomenon that is Wes Anderson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hQel3noQeI

undeadmonkey

Good Will Hunting (1997)
– Director: Gus Van Sant; starring Robin Williams, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. To be honest, it’s been almost ten years since I’ve seen this, but I still remember how inspiring of a movie it is. It’s got great script; you know most scripts with this much cussing usually amount to not much more than a student script, but it works here. The acting brings the script to another level. The younger cast brings such believability to their characters and Robin Williams was just mesmerizing, fantastic, I don’t know if there is a good enough word to describe it. It’s such a shame that we haven’t seen anything as great from him since. Wow, I really need to see this again. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02M3NRtkAA

JohnErle

Zodiac (2007)
– Director: David Fincher; starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr. Brilliantly deconstructs the true crime genre and makes every previous serial killer movie seem tacky and exploitative by comparison. The hoops the police had to go through to make a case gave me immense respect for them, and never once does this movie glamorize the killer. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dWgRfb17-M

Saw moves up to #4 overall (who'da thunk it?!). Raiders moves up to #8. The Shining is now #11.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

At least no one put New Moon in their list!

MOVIE #38

Shrykespeare: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) – Can't say I ever shed a tear at the end (and that "Now I know why you cry" line should have been axed), but it was a clever way of showing how technology is part of our identity. Oh, and the action scenes kick ass too ;)

silversurfer: Harold and Maude (1971) - Really want to see this.

thegreenarrow: Early Summer (1951) - Is there a Green Arrow. Is SS married or is this some weird Tyler Durden thing? After seeing Catfish I'm starting to worry none of you exist and you're all bots ;)

transformers: South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut (1999) - Very funny movie. The Saddam/Satan relationship is hilarious.

englishozzy: Man on the Moon (1999) - A very good movie. How weird is it that Danny Devito is in it playing his agent, and another actor plays Danny Devito on the set of Taxi?

Ron Burgundy: Moon (2009) - I agree in that it's better than Star Trek and Sunshine. Excellent low-budget movie and I'm looking forward to Source Code. Plus, that whole Helium 3 thing is actually based on fact. It's an incredibly powerful source of energy but scientists need to find a cost effecient way of transporting the stuff back here. Why didn't they think of Sam Rockwell, an emoticon robot, and a big canon?

Buscemi: House of Sand and Fog (2003) - I saw this when it came out, and it was okay. Performances are solid, the ending wasn't that much of a surprise, and ultimately I forgot it rather quickly.

Chienfantome: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) – You've a supreme taste in blockbusters, my French friend.

Banks: My Cousin Vinny (1992) - This is the kind of film you forget how entertaining it really is. Caught it on TV a few months ago and it stands the test of time.

BarcaRulz: The Shining (1980) - Love it, as you know.

Geezer: Saw (2004) - I think I've hated on this enough by now. Let's just say I thought the ending was the single most ridiculous one I've ever seen.

leestu: In the Heat of the Night (1967) - Very solid drama. Man, has anyone been as angry in a movie as Sidney Poitier?

W: Monsters, Inc. (2001) - Funny, fun, and endearing, it's one of the best Pixar flicks. The ending is perfectly directed. Really wish they wouldn't make the sequel though.

NSpan: Rushmore (1998) – A lot of those "indie" films are actually rather annoying. But it's to be expected. You can't blame The Velvet Underground or Nirvana for all the poor imitations that followed. Wes is one of the few modern American directors with a unique vision, and I applaud him for that. Rushmore is one of his best films, hilarious and intelligent. And Murray is excellent.

undeadmonkey: Good Will Hunting (1997) – A very solid drama and Williams is indeed excellent.

JohnErle: Zodiac (2007) – A tense thriller in which the case is never solved. Really good atmospherics. Hell, it made me read into the whole Zodiac case. Fascinating stuff.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Chien - For obvious cases i will agree with your choice purely for the fact i had it on my own yesterday. #39 on my list. 8/10

Geezer - I can be a sucker for B-movie horror most of the time but this had A-grade written all over it. Top film that's still scary with repeated viewings. 8/10

W - One of the best Pixar movies for me, character, storyline is classic Pixar and still makes me laugh today. 9/10
"Then telephone for an axe"