Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Post by W »

undeadmonkey wrote:MOVIE #38

W - Monsters, Inc. (2001) - too be honest, i always felt like it kinda ripped off the Ahh! Real Monsters show, Or at least that was the inspiration. but still this movie is great too
One thing isn't a rip off of another just because they use the same premise (in this case, Monsters scaring kids). In that case, both would be a rip off of Howie Mandel's "Little Monsters" which would be a rip off of something else. That would be like saying every single spy movie after the first was a rip off of the first spy film ever made.

They both are just playing off of the hundreds (or thousands?) of years old myth/fairy tale of a monster in the closet/under the bed/etc.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Thanks to people like Geezer, Fincher's sold out to become an Oscar whore and he will never be the same again.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

thanks a lot, GEEZER
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Yesterday: Kubrick. Today: Nolan.

MOVIE #37

Shrykespeare

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
– Director: Peter Jackson; starring Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen and Viggo Mortensen. The one that got the ultimate literary trilogy, the one thought to be un-translatable to the big screen, off and running. Christopher Lee was terrific as Saruman, and Cate Blanchett was also great as Galadriel. But it was the duel between Gandalf and the Balrog that was the most memorable. “You… shall not… pass!!” Just wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44kBN340vd4
(this is an amalgam of scenes from FotR and T2T)

silversurfer

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
- Director: Guillermo Del Toro; starring Ivana Baquero, Adrianda Gil and Sergi Lopez. Del Toro is truly one of my absolute favourite directors working today, his ability to craft fantastical stories with bizarre and magical creatures is a delight to watch, and aligned with his expertise in the horror genre mixed with a grounding humanistic element (usually associated with the Spanish Civil War), he has been able to create movies which time and again appeal to me on numerous levels. It almost seems like since the early 2000s he has taken Burton's mantle as the king of the fantasy genre, and this is without doubt his career highlight so far. His interpretation of an Alice In Wonderland theme cross with the Civil War is fabulously realized, creating a magical escape from the brutalities of war. And like all the great horror movies, and similarly to Burton, he questions what are the greater evils, the monsters, or the humans, as the line is often blurred. Sergi Lopez is truly chilling as the stepfather of the young heroine, while the tension created by some of the trials she has to go through are magically realized. I still cling to the edge of my seat when the man with eyes in his hands searches for her. And to be so bold with it's finale is a testament to Del Toro's unwillingness to pander to audiences who have been underestimated in Hollywood for so long, and it makes the ending all the more poignant. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYiSlkvRuw

thegreenarrow

A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
- Director: Ji-Woo Kim; starring Kap-Su Kim, Jung-Ah Yum and Su-Jeong Lim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDyWVOIY8Mg

transformers

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
- Director: Guy Ritchie; starring Jason Flemyng, Dexter Fletcher, Jason Statham and Vinnie Jones. Guy Ritchie's debut showcased his signature style of slick film making and spun a really clever, original and witty story of British gangsters. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKX32WqDNDU

englishozzy

Up (2009)
- Director: Pete Docter, Bob Peterson; starring Edward Asner, Christopher Plummer, Jordan Nagai and Bob Peterson. Pixar is one of those last companies that put substance in front of $$ signs with every one of their films. With each one creating millions of dollars though is a huge bonus. Pixar do it again in this movie about a 78-year-old uprooting his house (quite literally) to the tropics of South America. Everything that stands Pixar above the rest is evident here, the emotional tugs on the heartstrings, the realistic yet character animation and a fabulous storyline. Some uneventful sub-character developments probably prevent this movie from being higher up on my list. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkqzFUhGPJg

Ron Burgundy

Groundhog Day (1993)
- Director: Harold Ramis; starring Bill Murray, Andie Macdowell, Chris Elliot and Stephen Tobolowsky. This is my feel good rom-com of my countdown, not only does it offer some very original storyline it also can make you feel for the characters, especially the lead, Bill Murray. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_yDWQsrajA

Buscemi

American History X (1998)
- Director: Tony Kaye; starring Edward Norton, Edward Furlong, Beverly D'Angelo, Avery Brooks and Stacy Keach. The life of a Neo-Nazi and the bond with his brother makes for an excellent acting performance from Edward Norton. His acting at times makes you actually convinced that he really is the racist, violent Derek Vineyard rather than just a character. Edward Furlong is good in support as younger brother Danny, who seems to be headed in the same direction despite others not wanting him involved. The direction and script is among some of the best of the 1990's and definitely deserved more notice than it got. It's too bad that Kaye had the issues that he had with New Line because otherwise he could have been one of the great directors of the 21st century. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXaZENPQrsw

Chienfantome

Lost Highway (1997)
– Director : David Lynch, starring Bill Pullman, Patricia Arquette, Balthazar Getty, Natasha Gregson Wagner, Gary Busey, and Robert Blake. I was 15 years-old the first time I saw Lost Highway. Given the rating of the film in most countries, some might think it was a bit too young. It was not. Of course, I did not satisfy myself with this first vision. It’s a film that grows on you. When I saw it at 15, I loved the mystery, I love the fear, I loved the sensuality (yes, Patricia Arquette’s breasts of course). But it still felt awkward. And when I saw it again, on TV, a few years later, it was an explosion of cinematographic beauty for me. The beauty of the setting which reminds of Edward Hopper’s paintings. The impending sensation of danger, which invades the atmosphere. The mystery of it all, pieces of a puzzle you try to put together. Robert Blake and the fear he inspires. Those long dark roads. That strange ending. And yes, Patricia Arquette’s breasts. David Lynch at his best. (2nd appearance)

Isn’t Robert Blake creepy ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixwRWAdxSTw

numbersix

Stardust Memories (1980)
- Director: Woody Allen; starring Woody Allen, Charlotte Rampling, Jessica Harper and Marie-Christine Barrault. It takes a brave man to not try to make the same kind of film over and over, no matter how financially successful it may be, but Woody Allen continued to do that, for better or for worse. And while his recent output has been watchable at best, there were some of his films in the 80’s that were exceptional. This is perhaps the best of them, and Allen’s obvious tribute to Federico Fellini. It’s a knowing nod to his own career as Allen plays Sandy, a well-liked celebrity who feels the need to express himself despite pressure from his fans who prefer his earlier, funnier stuff. Like Fellini, Allen blends reality, fantasy, and memory all into one. Sandy is struggling with himself, attempting to understand meaning in what appears to be a chaotic universe, and questioning his own life as an entertainer. But like the opening sequences (see clip below) suggests, even though we all end up in the same place we need to cling to those great moments, regardless of universal context.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6EKK9XQ_J0

Banks

Amelie (2001)
- Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet; starring Audrey Tautou, Mathieu Kassovitz and Rufus. I’ve only seen Amelie a handful of times, but I loved after my first viewing. Seen on the recommendation of you guys, it’s a great tale of wonderful people can be, and in some cases, how mean-spirited. Tautou is a bright, bubbly French do-gooder who goes on an adventure to make people’s lives a little better – and in the case of the shop owner, teach him about karma – and it’s touching and a joy to watch. (3rd apperance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj0CK_jgNns

BarcaRulz

Inception (2010)
- Director: Christopher Nolan; starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Michael Caine, Cillian Murphy, Ken Watanabe and Tom Hardy. Some of you may frown about the inclusion of such a recent release so high up my list, but I have seen it more than enough times to justify its place. Personally, I believe this is a fantastically acted and superbly written thriller. As a self admitted Nolan fanboy this was always going to make my list. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPH2T9o_Dz8

Geezer

Kill Bill (2003/04)
- Director: Quentin Tarantino; starring Uma Thurman, David Carradine, Lucy Liu, Michael Madsen and Daryl Hannah. I've mentioned several times that this is a combination of both parts of the film, as it truly is one film, a very long film, but one complete narrative. And a damn fine one at that! Tarantino is just an artist. His films are some of the finest in the history of cinema. This is just a portrait of how to make an action film great. Scene after scene is memorable as the story unfolds, the dialogue is on par with Tarantino's previous films, carefully crafting our hero, and the story of those around her. It’s a perfect film. (5th apperance for both volumes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVam1qOmlEo

leestu

Das Boot (1981)
- Director: Wolfgang Petersen; starring Jurgen Prochnow, Herbert Gronemeyer and Klaus Wennemann. An amazing, breathtaking, powerful movie about a German submarine in WWII. The way it is filmed brilliantly portrays the claustrophobia, boredom and fear the crew face, and as a viewer you feel it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBPGZEVRH0

W

Shaun of the Dead (2004)
- Director: Edgar Wright; starring Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Kate Ashfield and Bill Nighy. Shaun comedic throwback to the zombie films of old. The people hole up somewhere and eventually still get infested with zombies. The film's been on here so much already that I'll just say it's my favorite of the Wright/Pegg/Frost films. (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfDUv3ZjH2k

NSpan

The Jerk (1979)
– Director: Carl Reiner; starring Steve Martin, Bernadette Peters and Catlin Adams. My girlfriend used to think I was a funny guy. Then I showed her this movie--and, sadly, she realized that every funny thing I have ever said was just a Steve Martin quote. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANph32LoXR4

undeadmonkey

The Prestige (2006)
- Director: Christopher Nolan; starring Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman and Scarlett Johansson. First off, I love period pieces. I’m just a downright sucker when it comes to them. One of my favorite things about the cinema is the chance to see a place and time that we can’t normally see, and period pieces hit that off right from the start. Second, although I wouldn’t put myself in the Nolan fanboy club, He is a talented director and this is really his best film to date, a sort of sci-fi, period/thriller masterpiece. It is very rare when I don’t see an ending coming and my mouth was hanging open the last 20 minutes of the film. Lastly, the film holds up pretty well with repeat viewings, which proves the film is all around good even when the ending is known. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANph32LoXR4

JohnErle

To Die For (1995)
– Director: Gus Van Sant; starring Nicole Kidman, Matt Dillon, Joaquin Phoenix and Casey Affleck. Dark, sexy comedy with a career defining performance by Nicole Kidman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1uPXA1ceNo

By a scant six points, Shaun of the Dead surpasses Wall-E at #2 on the overall list. Kill Bill Vol 1 (#23) and Vol. 2 (#27) also crack the Top 30.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Buscemi wrote:Thanks to people like Geezer, Fincher's sold out to become an Oscar whore and he will never be the same again.
Technically I'm sure you could go all the way back to Se7en to when Fincher became as Oscar whore, if that's what you want to call him. New Line released the movie at a prime position for the academy nominations of which it picked up one, and Fight Club also won an Oscar too. I just think his movies have matured and you obviously don't like them, I for one still love every new movie of his.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Actually, New Line had little faith in Se7en. The film had tested horribly and it was dumped into September (it opened the same day as the more-publicized Showgirls) with the assumption that the stars alone could help return the cost. The acclaim only came after the film was released and that's when New Line finally started pushing the film.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Oh right, I think I remember somewhere I read a while back (it may have been Wiki - which explains a lot) that said it was released on Christmas Day primarily for Academy consideration. Obviously that was incorrect. Still my point stands that the movie was eventually pushed for consideration with a re-release after Christmas and from then on he's been critically lauded for every movie he's made, which is essentially what you need to become an 'Oscar whore' surely? Just because a director alters slightly from what he was directing 15 years ago doesn't mean he's just making movies to appeal to the largest market, it just means his style has matured and his audience has grown. The term sell out is bandied around far too easily nowadays to anyone who's successful, and frankly I think it's just lazy.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I think Fincher's only obvious Oscar-whore movie was Benjamin Button.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I don't get what you guys are trying to say by 'oscar-whore'. If like SS said, you mean 'sell-out' how and what has he done to actually sell out?

by trying to win an oscar, by trying to 'technically' make the best movie that came out that year, are you saying that is a bad thing to do?

Or are you just saying that trying to win an award makes you a bad film maker?

I just can't wrap my head around it.

Oh and Benjamin Button is great. Just sayin

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

How Fincher has sold out: he no longer makes challenging, visceral films such as Se7en, The Game and Fight Club, instead choosing to make incredibly mainstream films designed solely to win Oscars (such as Benjamin Button, The Social Network and the forthcoming remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo). It seems to have began with Panic Room (made because Fight Club flopped) but only went full-force after Zodiac flopped.

When Fincher began, he was sort of a Scorsese with mind-screw tendencies. Now, he's simply become Ron Howard for hipsters.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Wow. You guys are crazy :lol:
What you write about Fincher either has me appalled or laughing, I don't know which to choose. I don't even understand how there could be a debate about "Is Fincher a Oscar whore, a sell out, or whatever you call it". I can't believe I see things like Zodiac, Benjamin Button and Social Network are not as challenging as Seven, The Game and Fight Club. That they are mainstream. That Fincher is becoming like Ron Howard. That just cracks me up.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't understand how making a film about a guy aging backwards isn't challenging and is mainstream. That's been done numerous times before, right? Didn't they pretty much have to invent new technology for it?

I also don't see how taking Jesse Eisenberg and making a film about writing computer code isn't challenging and is mainstream... Especially when you have to write most of the script around court documents and old blogs. And releasing it in October is the epitome of "Oscar-whore"ness, right?

They just doesn't scream MAINSTREAM at me.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

W wrote:I also don't see how taking Jesse Eisenberg and making a film about writing computer code isn't challenging and is mainstream... Especially when you have to write most of the script around court documents and old blogs. And releasing it in October is the epitome of "Oscar-whore"ness, right?

They just doesn't scream MAINSTREAM at me.
I agree. I think this idea of Fincher selling out and becoming an Oscar whore doesn't really make much sense. I don't think at the time of signing on to do The Social Network (and fincher has stated several times that raising the budget was hard) there was any sense that this would be an Oscar film (seriously, the story of a socially retarded and arrogant young man screwing his friend out of a billion dollar business does not sound like Oscar bait). It was only after the critics went nuts over it did it become clear.

To me, Fincher is someone who is playing around with different types of stories and different ways of making movies. Does that make him a hack? Possibly, as I never felt he had a distinct style (besides underlighting scenes), at least not enough to feel he has sold out from his previous way of film-making. In terms of "challenging" films, I honestly think only Seven, Fight Club, and maybe Zodiac fit that bill. His other 5 aren't. I also don't think The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is Oscar bait. I don't see it winning any Oscars, unless Mara surprises us all.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

To clarify my comment, I think Benjamin Button is the only "Oscar bait" movie he's made. I think of Oscar bait as movies starring a big-name, usually some sort of true story or close, about said star overcoming huge odds to become important or something like that. Always released in November or December, with huge Oscar campaigns behind them ready to go.

I'm not saying Benjamin Button or any Oscar bait is inherently bad. They're just pretty obvious in their motives to get Oscar nominations.

I think Fincher is one of the best directors working and I can't wait to see Dragon Tattoo. Did you guys see the official stills of Rooney Mara? She looks badass.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #37

Shrykespeare: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) – My favourite of the three "parts" of the story. The transition from the Shire to a much larger, scarier world was brillinatly realised. Lots of memorable moments, such as the chase of the dudes in hoods (can't remember their name), Frodo hiding behind the tree, his first experience with the Ring, Gandalf Vs the Balrog, etc. Epic stuff.

silversurfer: Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - And from one great fantasy to another. While overall Del toro hasn't blown me away, this is indeed a great film, and only didn't make my Top 100 because I've only seen it once. An important story about the role fantasy plays in our moral choices in reality.

thegreenarrow: A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) - Ah, Mrs. SS, you were doing so well this round. I think this is one of the many J-horror clones that came out after Ringu's success but failed to work. You guess the twist pretty early on, it's a fairly routine ghost story, and there's only one or two chilling moments early on. Disappointing.

transformers: Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) - Slick film-making indeed, but for me it's all style and not much else. Witty, but I just didn't care about the characters.

englishozzy: Up (2009) - Those opening scenes are just beautiful, there's some hilarious moments (c'mon Shryke, how couldn't you find the scenes with the Alpha, the doberman with the broken voice device, to be hilarious?), and overall it's a damn fine movie. Perhaps ones of Pixar's best.

Ron Burgundy: Groundhog Day (1993) - Excellent take ona tired genre. Very witty, and even somewhat heartfelt.

Buscemi: American History X (1998) - I disagree about the script. It lets the film, especially the performances down. Racism is not that easily cured. If so, a simple "Meet an Black Person" session would be implemented into every Redneck community and racism would cease to exist. If only things were that easy. This film takes too many shortcuts and it doesn't work for me. But yeah, Norton is damn good.

Chienfantome: Lost Highway (1997) – I think I was about the same age when I first saw it. Maybe 16. Didn't have a clue what was going on, but the more I watched the more I came to understand and love it. A Psychogenic fugue made into a film, it's a wonderful expression of sexual frustration and how desire fuels fantasy, but reality is inescapable.

Banks: Amelie (2001) - Imaginative, beautiful, and quite original. It was on my list a while back and I just love it. Great, uplifting movie.

BarcaRulz: Inception (2010) - My frowning isn't because it's recent, it's because it's just not good enough ;) Actually, it's not a bad movie. The zero gravity fight scene is possibly the best action scene since the Bride took on the Yakuza in Kill Bill. Di Caprio is quite good too. But strangely I've never wanted to see it again (whereas I went to TDK twice in the cinema, a very rare thing for me to do). I didn't like how the other characters were written (they're basically just objects to forward the plot, and Page's character was a wasted opportunity), but then again, it's really just a heist movie.

Geezer: Kill Bill (2003/04) - And speaking of Kill Bill... as you know I agree that it's one, whole bloody affair (speaking of which , what ever happened to the DVD of that. I only bought Pt 1 and I'd love to see the whole thing!). There is a ridiculous amoutn of genre mashing in this, but it totally works. Love it. You're on a general roll this round, Geez (overlooking Saw, of course).

leestu: Das Boot (1981) - Cinema doesn't get much more claustrophobic than this. For maximum effect watch it in a dustbin. For me, however, I prefer it as the longer TV series (its original incarnation) as it's all the more tense. As a movie it's just damn good.

W: Shaun of the Dead (2004) - I think I now prefer Hot fuzz a little more, but this is still excellent.

NSpan: The Jerk (1979) – I'm not a fan of Steve Martin, but this is one of his best (3 Amigos, Planes Trains..., and Dirty rotten Scoundrels are the 3 others I like). good movie.

undeadmonkey: The Prestige (2006) - I do like it. I have some problems (the contrivance of the wild goose chase being a reality, Johansson's character, the revealing of all at the end), but I like the tone and the atmosphere.

JohnErle: To Die For (1995) – Damn, John, this was almost the first round where I had seen every single film, and now you've ruined it. I hope you're happy!
Last edited by numbersix on January 13th, 2011, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.