Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #33

Shrykespeare: Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) – When I first heard of this I thought it would be brilliant. However, beyond Stiller's over the top performance being enjoyable there just wasn't that much to laugh about I'm afraid. (5/10)

thegreenarrow: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) - To be honest, while it's largely enjoyable with Clooney on excellent form, I think it made me realise I prefer the Coens when they are a little more serious. The soundtrack is great though. And you gotta love Dapper Dan's! (7/10)

transformers: Spider-Man 2 (2004) - Being a huge Spidey and Raimi fan I'd agree and say this is probably my favourite comic book movie. Another wonderful bad guy in Molina's Dr. Octopus, and Tobey is great as usual, perfect for the role. Great effects too, and you never forget the emotion of the train scene. (10/10)

englishozzy: The Truman Show (1998) - And it appears again, spot on with it's prophecy, it's quite scary to think of such a thing becoming reality at times. (7.5/10)

Ron Burgundy: GoldenEye (1995) - Yeah, while I like Brosnan as an actor, he just seemed to suave to be a secret agent. He needed to rough it up a while like Connery or Craig. Don't even remember too much of this one either, other than Bean was the bad guy. Don't think that says very much regarding my feelings towards it. Just a whole lot of meh. (5/10)

Buscemi: Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983) - What do you mean, "finally get to see Luke and Darth Vader duke it out"? They did that in Empire, in a much better fight scene. Still, great end to the greatest trilogy ever. (10/10)

Chienfantome: Edward Scissorhands (1990) - For me, Burton's greatest triumph (which I believe says something considering I've already listed 3 of his movies!), at the peak of his creativity with the delightful Winona and what was to become perfect foil in Depp. The greatest fairytale ever put onto sceen. So beautiful, so funny, so heart breaking, and so inventive. Brilliant beyond words. (10/10)

numbersix: The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) - Your description reminded me why I love Wes Anderson so much, I really wish I'd made space for a movie of his in my list. Nevertheless, your are spot on, the perfect ensemble cast, I keep remembering one character after another which were perfectly crafted into creating such a delightful movie. May need to give this another spin soon. (8/10)

Banks: Wall Street (1987) - I haven't seen this, it just isn't a movie which really appeals to me at all. But then you suggest you felt the same way before seeing it, so maybe I should give it a go when it's on tv. (N/A)

BarcaRulz: Finding Nemo (2003) - Sometimes this is one of my favourite Pixars, other times I feel it's a little too much of a kids film (what am I saying, it IS a kids film!) anyway, I'm not a fan of Nemo or Marlin, but there are some great side characters, although Dory gets annoying after a while. Favourites are the guys in the fish tank in the dentists office. So many hilarious scenes from that portion of the movie. Oh and then there's the sharks too with their club for not eating fish! Actually, I do love this a lot!! (8/10)

Geezer: Office Space (1999) - DID NOT expect so much acclaim for this, but so glad it's gained it. Can watch it any time (did so a couple of months back) and never get tired of its characters. Great stuff (10/10)

leestu: Once Upon a Time in America (1984) - Another movie I've been meaning to see for a long time, looks just like my kind of movie. (N/A)

W: Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) - Watched this a couple of weeks ago. Watchable, and the beginning with Ferris talking to the camera certainly reminded me of many directors who have been influenced by the style (most notably Edgar Wright), but I don't think I'm in a big rush ever to watch it again. (6.5/10)

NSpan: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) – Yawn, yes it barely enjoyable and very vacuous, but that doesn't make it good. I'm noticing it seems to be everyone but the Brits picking this movie! Obviously others seem to like the stereotype of British people more that Brits themselves... (5/10)

undeadmonkey: Revolutionary Road (2008) - I was very impressed with this. I do like this kind of drama, and the period setting is always good to watch (we watched Changeling last night too, which although not as strong still has some great sets and costumes), but what really set it apart was the acting. Winslett, Di Caprio, Shannon, Bates. Everyone is excellent and Mendes' restrained approach aids them tremendously. A movie which boils under the skin, but is so engrossing and leaves you drained. Great pick, certainly one of Mendes' best. (9/10)

JohnErle: Shallow Grave (1994) – Great black comedy with some hints as to where the cast and director would go in the future. None of their best work, but still captivating nevertheless. (7/10)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Surfer, that was a tiny oversight. In Empire, that was just a simple act of revenge. In Jedi, it means war (with Palpatine serving as manipulator).

I probably meant to say "duke it out in a meaningful battle".
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:NSpan: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) – Yawn, yes it barely enjoyable and very vacuous, but that doesn't make it good. I'm noticing it seems to be everyone but the Brits picking this movie! Obviously others seem to like the stereotype of British people more that Brits themselves... (5/10)
Ah! That explains it! I was wondering what all the hate was about... But it's just uptight Brits being uptight Brits.

For your peace of mind, we don't think ALL British people are cockney street-urchins (...just MOST of them). ;)
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

NSpan wrote:For your peace of mind, we don't think ALL British people are cockney street-urchins (...just MOST of them). ;)
And the rest of us are Hugh Grant.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Or Michael Caine.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #32

Shrykespeare

Sneakers (1992)
– Director: Phil Alden Robinson; starring Robert Redford, Dan Aykroyd, Sidney Poitier, Ben Kingsley and River Phoenix. This high-tech caper was my favorite film of 1992. Redford is stellar as a computer security expert who must enlist the help of his friends to get him out of a scrape when his shady past comes back to haunt him. Good performances all around, including Aykroyd, Poitier, Phoenix (in one of his final roles) and David Strathairn. Maybe not as slick or high-maintenance as Ocean’s Eleven, but a truly worthwhile, praiseworthy film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbJpx_6fYgE

silversurfer

In the Mood for Love (2000)
- Director: Wong Kar Wai; starring Tony Leung, Maggie Cheung and Ping Lam Siu. Wong Kar Wai is a director I first heard of back in the early 2000s following the release of this movie, and gradually during the last decade I have made a concerted effort to look into his work when available. After watching this movie I moved on to Days of Being Wild, Chungking Express, 2046 and Happy Together, but ultimately I find myself returning to this movie which I find to be his masterpiece. It's a subtle movie, an intimate expression of love which is portrayed in one of the most strikingly beautiful ways I have ever seen. It's 1960s Hong Kong setting is sumptuously realized with a delicious colour scheme, and the story, revolving around two people who console each other following their spouses' affairs is so romantically realized. You feel for each character, you feel their loss, their pain and suffering and their love, and it builds inside you throughout the movie and leaves you so emotionally devastated and speechless by it's chilling finale. There really is little else which comes close to crafting such a sense of emotions. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kRQqksluZk

thegreenarrow

Toy Story (1995)
- Director: John Lasseter; starring Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Don Rickles, Jim Varney and John Ratzenberger. (8th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYz2wyBy3kc

transformers

The Green Mile (1999)
- Director: Frank Darabont; Starring: Tom Hanks, Michael Clarke Duncan, David Morse, Sam Rockwell and Gary Sinise. The Green Mile is a moving film that absolutely captivated me while viewing; it's a such a deep and amazing storyline with an absolutely fantastic performance for Michael Clarke Duncan. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctRK-4Vt7dA

englishozzy

Aladdin (1992)
- Director: Ron Clements, John Musker; starring Scott Weinger, Robin Williams, Linda Larkin, Jonathan Freeman. I believe this film would not be as high up in my list if it wasn't for the brilliant improv turn from Robin Williams as The Genie. I'm not in any means dampening the rest of the film as this easily still stands up to most of the films from DreamWorks. Disney continued their success after the impressive Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast with this vibrant, colorful and enjoyable romp about a street kid falling for a princess. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNFs_sESJEc

Ron Burgundy

Cool Hand Luke (1967)
- Director: Stuart Rosenberg; starring Paul Newman, George Kennedy, J.D. Cannon and Strother Martin. Paul Newman is still one of my favourite actors, despite seeing only a few of his films. And this is his strongest performance. A great ending goes together with a brilliant tale of the struggles in an old prison, where you actually grow fond of some of the characters. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOPDwUCtRAQ

Buscemi

Thirteen (2003)
- Director: Catherine Hardwicke; starring Evan Rachel Wood, Nikki Reed, Holly Hunter, Jeremy Sisto and Brady Corbet. One of the most depressing and effective films I have ever seen. Based on the life of co-star Reed (who also co-wrote the film with the director), it is a raw and hyper-realistic portrayal of the age when adolescence begins and innocence dies. It strikes a chord when you realize that the people you are watching are not characters in a movie but people you probably know. We all knew people like this. Your friends, your classmates, your significant order, even you. Also when I first watched this film, I actually had dreams about the film for a few days afterwards. Not many films can do that. Anyways, this was one of two films that fueled my interest in filmmaking (the other film is coming up soon) and I always hoped that Hardwicke and Reed would come up with another film to equal this one. So far, they have sadly not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wScczSXpM4k

Chienfantome

Monty Python’s Life of Brian (1979)
– Director: Terry Jones, starring Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam. I’ve always been jealous of my British neighbors. Well, not for everything. But when it comes to comedy, I’ve always been jealous of my British neighbors. French comedy isn’t the greatest in the world, when “they” have had Peter Sellers, Monty Python, Fry & Laurie… Damn. Those crazy Pythons. I have known Holy Grail way before Life of Brian, which I have discovered very late, when I was something like 24 or 25. Their religious parody is one of the most jubilatory and hilarious film I have ever seen. Their characters are ferocious, their dialogues are ferocious, their costumes are ferocious. Damn. What’s even more amazing is their tone, so crazily funny, but hiding a true questioning about religion. Just take a look at the sequence I chose, in the wake of what recently happened in Pakistan. It may have been made decades ago, you can’t help but think… But with or without the seriousness of it all, Life of Brian is one of the greatest comedies ever made. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNeq2Utm0nU

numbersix

The Apartment (1960)
- Director: Billy Wilder; starring Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, and Fred MacMurray. Heart-warming films can often dissolve into schmaltz, but one director who always managed to avoid that was Billy Wilder. After he was defining and re-defining noir, that is. It also helps when you have a close relationship with one of the most likeable, if not loveable, actors ever to grace the silver-screen. Jack Lemmon could so just about anything and you know he’d play it for laughs and tragedy at the same time. In The Apartment he plays a loveable and sickly office worker to loans out his apartment for the cheating office managers, hoping that some brown-nosing will get him a promotion. All this get complicated when he falls for the building’s elevator operator (see the chemistry in the scene below). It’s a beautiful story about dignity and doing what’s best for yourself, and not just for that abstract notion of career. Wilder doesn’t let it get to syrupy, though, as there’s a rather uneasy scene involving attempted suicide that is neither frivolous nor is it played for comedy. And that’s what Wilder could do best: blend the dramatic and the humorous to create a warm, clever romantic-comedy. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZDtx7NWsdU

Banks

House Party (1990)
- Director: Reginald Hudlin; starring Christopher Reid, Christopher Martin, Robin Harris and Martin Lawrence. House Party is a through-and-through FUN movie. It’s one of the few Black movies that don’t involve drugs, violence, gangs, or over-the-top Tyler Perry drama. It’s simply two high school students effort to create a great party on a Friday night for them and their friends. I consider it a very simple movie, but not in a bad way – just a good time. And the Kid-N-Play dance is one that’ll live forever. I’ve included it, just in case you haven’t had the good fortunate of seeing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1l5PFs2eTc

BarcaRulz

Donnie Brasco (1997)
– Director: Mike Newell; starring Johnny Depp, Al Pacino, Michael Madsen and Bruno Kirby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShM8bGKVFXg

Geezer

Shaun of the Dead (2004)
- Director: Edgar Wright; starring: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Kate Ashfield. Its a fantastic idea that was pulled off flawlessly. A zombie spoof that is pulled off without being self-aware. With likeable characters, it remains to toe the line between horror and comedy. The wit and chemistry between Pegg and Frost is just brilliant, and makes the movie stand out. Some people don't get it, and don't find some of the subtle humor that funny, but I can watch this over and over again, laugh my ass off, and never get sick of it. (7th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBewQPFdKE

leestu

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
- Director: Rob Reiner; starring Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Harry Shearer and Rob Reiner. As well as being full of funny jokes the movie itself was one complete clever satirical joke; and it is perfect for repeat viewing. I have seen it so many times and still laugh every time I watch it. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZbHagBNY98

W

Stealing Harvard (2002)
- Director: Bruce McCullouch; starring Jason Lee, Tom Green and Leslie Mann. One of my favorite films to purely laugh my ass off to. I was a fan of The Tom Green Show, and My Name is Earl is one of the best comedies ever, so a comedic pairing of Lee and Green was inevitably going to leave me rofl (first time I've ever used that word, I promise). Most of you will hate it, and I really couldn't care less. Lee's character has to come up with $30,000 for the first year of Harvard tuition because he offhandedly promised it to his niece twelve years before. So, Lee and Green (his best friend) have to steal it from various places. Some of the funniest moments are fighting between Green and Mann (Lee's girlfriend), the liquor store clerk (Martin Starr who is Bill from "Freaks and Geeks"), and Richard Jenkins who plays a judge that has freaky tendencies since his wife died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b0XdKqwLX4&NR=1
(not much to choose from on YouTube)

NSpan

Se7en (1995)
– Director: David Fincher; starring Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, Gwyneth Paltrow and Kevin Spacey. I honestly don't know why Brad Pitt failed to deliver here. We all know he's capable of better. But forgive the movie that flaw. This is Fincher at his peak (only with Zodiac did he come close to perfection once again). And I hope those red-flags at the library aren't real... because, otherwise, I'm in a lot of trouble. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4YV2_TcCoE

undeadmonkey

Spider-Man 2 (2004)
- Director: Sam Raimi; starring Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, Alfred Molina, James Franco. My personal favorite superhero movie. I loved Peter Parker’s battles with himself; I loved Spider-Man’s battles with Doctor Octopus (seriously, the villain could of so easily fallen into a vat of cheese, but Raimi and Molina work it perfectly). James Franco was the perfect troubled sidekick. Kirsten Dunst managed not to be annoying. Rosemary Harris was great. (2nd appearance...in as many days)

Train scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NLgY6f60CA

JohnErle

Saving Private Ryan (1998)
– Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Edward Burns, Tom Sizemore and Barry Pepper. Intense battle sequences that never glamorize the violence. It's as much about the bravery of soldiers as the lunacy of warfare. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68t6PhbYiSo

Obviously, with its 8th appearance, Toy Story takes a whopping lead. Shaun of the Dead moves up to #2 (guess I'll have to see this movie, huh?). Se7en cracks the Top 10 at #9. Life of Brian, Saving Private Ryan and Aladdin also all crack the Top 25.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #32

Shrykespeare: Sneakers (1992) – I must have watched this dozens of times as a kid. The cast mixes well and the tone is light and fun. Way better than Ocean's Eleven due to that lack of emphasis on looking "slick".

silversurfer: In the Mood for Love (2000) - A beautiful, delicate film. Yet another that we share on our lists.

thegreenarrow: Toy Story (1995) - Deserved of its number one spot.

transformers: The Green Mile (1999) - Maybe I'm in the minority but I did find it too long.

englishozzy: Aladdin (1992) - Didn't think this would be so popular. Besides the genie I can't recall a thing about it.

Ron Burgundy: Cool Hand Luke (1967) - That egg scene is brilliant. Very enjoyable movie.

Buscemi: Thirteen (2003) - I was deeply underwhelmed by this movie. Yes, the performances were solid, but besides that the film is really nothign special. It's partly realistic (although it doesn't go nearly as far as it could have), but all it does is dramatise what we've seen before dozens of times in TV and film. And it doesn't elevate itself beyond that.

Chienfantome: Monty Python’s Life of Brian (1979) – It takes a hell of a troupe to make a film so funny yet hide within each joke a valid satire on religion as it is understood by the masses. One of my favourite comedies too.

Banks: House Party (1990) - Er.... right.... I generally avoid a movie that's just a vehicle for manufactured pop acts. This is just the Miley Cyrus Movie of the 90's! ;)

BarcaRulz: Donnie Brasco (1997) – Never seen it. Heard it's worth watching so really should consider it.

Geezer: Shaun of the Dead (2004) - I would say the movie is entirely self-aware (it breaks the 4th wall!), but I like it anyway. It's really funny, and the pace is perfect.

leestu: This Is Spinal Tap (1984) - I almost regret not putting this in my list.

W: Stealing Harvard (2002) - That scene didn't make me want to see it, and I've never liked anything involving Tom green.

NSpan: Se7en (1995) – I thought Pitt was perfect as the cocky but somewhat ignorant rookie detective. He does dopey very well. Anyway, I agree that it's Fincher's peak. Great stuff.

undeadmonkey: Spider-Man 2 (2004) - Molina's a little cheesy, but that's what Raimi does. He creates a world of cheese (mmmmmmmm....) and makes it edible. Damn, I'm hungry.

JohnErle: Saving Private Ryan (1998) – Great opening, decent rest of movie, overall very good but not amazing.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Six, Cool As Ice was the Miley Cyrus movie of the 1990's.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Greenarrow - I cant remember how many times i have professed my love for this film on this countdown (must of been 8 times duh!!). 10/10

Transformer - The whole cast puts in fantastic performances for this film, not once did i feel the near 3 hour movie drag. #80 on my list. 8/10

Geezer - Wow #2 overall, i wouldnt of picked that before we kicked this countdown off. 10/10

Nspan - Awesome film and my favourite thriller of all-time. Spacey is unbelievably creepy. 10/10.

UDM - Surprised to see this movie again, like i said yeasterday, the best of the trilogy but nothing exceptional about it for me. 7/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Re: This Is Spinal Tap:- has anyone noticed that on IMDB your own rating for this movie is shown as a score out of 11? :lol:

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

11? How is that possible?

NSpan - Se7en - This appeared on my list not too long ago, so you know how I feel about it. (10/10)

transformers - The Green Mile - Outstanding film. Though long, it never drags, and there were terrific performances all around. (9/10)

englishozzy - Aladdin - My favorite hand-drawn Disney film. A classic. (9/10)

undeadmonkey - Spider-Man 2 - Terrific movie. I rank it about equally with the first one. (9/10)

Chienfantome - The Life of Brian - A lot of love for the Pythons! Hoorah! (9/10)

thegreenarrow - Toy Story - Wow, eight times. Unbelievable. (8/10)

JohnErle - Saving Private Ryan - Hmm... three Hanks movies in one day. Testament to his acting abilities. (8/10)

Banks - House Party - I actually liked this. Plenty of good old-school music, and funny. I hysterically remember the part where, while the credits roll, we hear Kid's Pops whupping his ass! "Now go to bed, and don't get up 'til I tell you to!" (6/10)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Six, as someone who has seen every House Party (all FOUR!) and Class Act and has also seen The Hannah Montana Movie and The Last Song....Kid-N-Play could act circles around Miley Cyrus.

And they're no Daniel Day-Lewis' themselves.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Sneakers
Hmmmm... Shryke, I gotta say, it's the second time in a row you list a guilty pleasure of mine ! Well, this may not fall into the "guilty pleasure" as much as Executive Decision, as I honestly think this is a truly good film, but still. It's a film I've watched many times in my teen years. I love the crew united for this. A bunch of great actors working on nice characters. There is fun, lots of it, there is tension, lots of it too, and there is smartness. Yes, it really is a good film.

Surfer - In the mood for love
What a great, great choice of yours, Surfer. Me too, it's the first film I saw of Wong Kar Wai, and me too, I have since watched his work with admiration, but always returning to In the Mood for Love to find his true and undeniable masterpiece.

greenarrow - Toy Story
Well, it sure will be difficult to take it out of first place ! A great animation film, I regret I have not seen in such a long time.

transformers - The Green Mile
I much, much prefer The Shawshank Redemption and The Mist whn it comes to Darabont, but this is a nice film, which takes its time and crafts great characters.

Ozzy - Aladdin
One of the Disneys I have watched the most in my childhood. I loved it back then. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I have fond memories of it.

Ron B - Cool Hand Luke
It was one of those films that, at one point while making this Top 100, I listed myself before replacing it with another. It's a great film, with iconic sequences, great characters, and a fantastic interaction between those two great actors, Paul Newman and George Kennedy.

Buscemi - Thirteen
Well it certainly is one of your most surprising choices, Boosch. I haven't seen it since theatre, but I don't recall anything memorable in that film. It was a watchable teen drama that had nothing particularly outstanding.

Six - The Appartment
As you can guess, since I chose it a few weeks ago, it's a film I genuinely love. It mixes with such subtelty comedy and drama, the laughs and the tears, the joy and the bitterness. It's a delight to watch, like so many films Billy Wilder has directed.

Banks - House Party
I have never ever heard of such films...

Barca - Donnie Brasco
It's a very good film indeed, Barca. I remember it was in my Top 5 favourite films of 1997. Depp is solid, but it's Pacino who is outstanding here as this pathetic small mob you feel empathy for. I haven't seen it in a while, and I'd love to.

Geezer - Shaun of the Dead
There will come a time when this film won't be cited anymore maybe ? ;) BUt it's such an enjoyable flick, what can you say ? It's far from my Top 100, but I do enjoy it a lot.

Leestu - This is Spinal Tap
Still haven't seen it unfortunately, and still want to !

W - Stealing Harvard
I remember that film... but I... don't think I've seen it ;)

NSpan - Seven
Each inclusion of this film is completely deserved. I still cannot believe I haven't seen it in the past decade. How come it's been so long ? Anyway, its a great stylish thriller, but it does not stop at being stylish. It is well-thought, smart, haunting, and it develops such an amazing atmosphere. I could very well have listed it.

UDM - Spiderman 2
It was good, yes. I really liked the first two Spiderman films. But I'm not huge on superhero films, so I don't really want to watch them often.

JohnErle
Another film this round that i have already listed in my Top 100. Such a powerful film, great choice John.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #32

Shrykespeare: Sneakers (1992) – I can honestly say I've never heard of it. I'm yet to be won over by a really good modern heist movie from Hollywood as of yet, probably the closest to that have been Heat, and possibly Reservoir Dogs if you put it in that genre. Usually I prefer golden age noir heists or the French classics. I'll give this a try if it's ever on though, as I do like the genre if done right. (N/A)

thegreenarrow: Toy Story (1995) - Not surprised to see it receive so much acclaim, an absolute classic in the making which will be ranked as this generation's best achievement in animation. (10/10)

transformers: The Green Mile (1999) - It is a very good film, with strong performances all round, no surprise to see this has been well represented on here too, though I feel Shawshank will beat it in the long run. (7.5/10)

englishozzy: Aladdin (1992) - Ugh. Again? No amount of listing on here will sway my view on this being the beginning of the downfall of Disney as we knew it. I honestly think most have forgotten the rest of the movie and just picked it for one character. So I guess The Genie is one of the favourite characters on the forum, but the movie is certainly not one of the best. Basically, if you're saying it matches up to Dreamworks, then your not really saying a lot for it are you? Classic Disney and Pixar over this any day. (4/10)

Ron Burgundy: Cool Hand Luke (1967) - If I'd seen more Newman movies I'd probably agree with you, he is such a pleasure to watch in everything I've seen him in, his command of his roles is delightful to watch, and this is no exception. Not one I go back to religiously, but always decent to watch whenever it's on tv. (7/10)

Buscemi: Thirteen (2003) - It's been a while, and though I seem to remember Evan Rachel Wood giving a very strong performance, overall the direction just felt too heavy handed and too forceful, I felt like I was being pressurised into accepting the troubles of youth and it was presented in such a brash manner just to cause shock that I ultimately just could not like the movie. (4.5/10)

Chienfantome: Monty Python’s Life of Brian (1979) – Again it appears, and with good reason. Always a delight to watch, and I've watched it many, many times. (8/10)

numbersix: The Apartment (1960): Completely agree with you on Jack Lemmon, always such a delight to watch him acting no matter his role, he just brings something else to the plate that few others can match. One of the all time great actors who continued to pull out killer performance after killer performance till the last. And pairing him with Shirley Maclaine is genius from Wilder, their combination is gold. Possibly the greatest rom-com ever made. (10/10)

Banks: House Party (1990) - never heard of the movie, but Kid N' Play seems familiar, I'll check the trailer out later to see if it rings a bell. (N/A)

BarcaRulz: Donnie Brasco (1997) – I think I watched this a very long time ago, possibly 15 years ago. Wasn't a particular fan of the genre then at all (still not really now either), so couldn't really hold my focus, but I seem to remember Depp and Pacino having good chemistry. Not enough to hold my interest though obviously.... (5/10)

Geezer: Shaun of the Dead (2004) - Indeed it is a movie which is so watchable for repeat viewings, I think that's part of the Wright/Pegg/Frost style, there are so many little references and in jokes to their work that it makes spotting them all a challenge. Good to see this get so much recognition. (10/10)

leestu: This Is Spinal Tap (1984) - And another satire of a genre which is perfectly realised. Great stuff. (10/10)

W: Stealing Harvard (2002) - While I like Jason Lee and My Name Is Earl is always very funny, I really can't stand Tom Green. He just isn't funny to me at all. I'll check the trailer out later though to see if Lee neutralises Green's lack of funny. (N/A)

NSpan: Se7en (1995) – Another movie from my list in this round, fantastic thriller, good to see Fincher is finally receiving awards for his directing now. (10/10)

undeadmonkey: Spider-Man 2 (2004) - I agree with you to an extent, Doc. Ock is a little cheesy, but Molina plays him with such grace that it works, Raimi is on top form with some great visuals and montages, and Maguire improves on the first film and becomes Spider-Man, I felt in the first movie he cracked Parker straight off, but his Spidey wasn't quite there yet, he achieved it here. And this was the first time I actually took Franco seriously as an actor too. (10/10)

JohnErle: Saving Private Ryan (1998) – Doesn't matter how many times it's listed I still remember very little beyond the opening. Good, but if the rest of the movie had matched that first half hour it could have been great. (7/10)

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

MOVIE #32

Shrykespeare

Sneakers
Good pick, its got a great cast and a good story.

silversurfer

In the Mood for Love
Well its already on my must see list, but now it climbes higher up.

thegreenarrow

Toy Story
A film for all types, and good to see its getting the attention

transformers

The Green Mile
I thought it was a good movie but not something im gonna watch again for a while. Also the first time i saw Rockwell.

englishozzy

Aladdin
I used to watch this over and over as a kid, probably saw it 20 or more times. Almost made my top 100, (think it made #105)

Ron Burgundy

Cool Hand Luke

Buscemi

Thirteen
Will consider this. Maybe when im depressed.

Chienfantome

Monty Python’s Life of Brian
An excellent choice my french film buff.

numbersix

The Apartment
Your list might have more than any other that transfers onto my must see list. How did you find the time to watch all of these?

Banks

House Party
Sorry man, haven't heard of this one. But weren't those two guys with flattops appear in sesame street?

BarcaRulz

Donnie Brasco
Good if not great. I felt very sorry for Pacino in this movie, and Michael Mann manages to not look B grade.

Geezer

Shaun of the Dead
#2, i didnt see that coming either! Zombieland tried its take on the Com-Zom-Rom genre, but fell well short of this.

leestu

This Is Spinal Tap
I agree its gets better with repeat views. But wouldnt put it in my top material (yet).

NSpan

Se7en
Excellent movie. Coming up for me soon.

undeadmonkey

Spider-Man 2
I wonder if the reboot (which is far too soon to be remade) will do any good, it must just be a cashcow because i cant see it doing the same thing as Batman Begins.

JohnErle

Saving Private Ryan
In my top 10 war movies. I like how Vin Diesal plays serious for once. And a good cast.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale