Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #6): 50-41

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #6): 50-41

Post by Shrykespeare »

Thanks to everyone who got their picks in at the last minute. Still waiting on thegreenarrow's pick, but I'll post it as soon as she sends it to me.

On to the second half of our countdown!

MOVIE #50

Shrykespeare

Speed (1994)
– Director: Jan de Bont; starring Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock, Dennis Hopper and Jeff Daniels. A bomb on a bus. It cannot drop below 50 mph or it’ll explode, so it must go tear-assing all over L.A. in what is one of the most bare-bones and awesome action flicks of not only the 90’s, but of all time. Pure adrenaline. And who can forget Hopper’s disdainful, “Pop quiz, hotshot!” (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRmhneo5A48

silversurfer

Delicatessen (1991)
- Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro; starring Dominique Pinon, Marie Laure Dougnac and Jean Claude Dreyfus. Jean Pierre Jeunet is such a delightfully whimsical director, with an ability to create dark humorous tales with inventive visuals as portrayed in all of his movies. Even with his debut feature, collaborating with Marc Caro's visual flare, he was able to evoke those wickedly macabre sensibilities into a quite fascinating live action cartoon with dashes of horror, romance, sci-fi and comedy which bleeds with delicate touches of genius throughout. The story, set in a post apocalyptic future where meat is scarce, features a butcher who has taken to slaughtering people to feed his starving tenants (with the wonderful comic actor Dominique Pinon his latest target). There are so many intricacies to love about this movie (check out the clip which marvelously splices together a number of the characters actions to the rhythm of bouncing bed springs), but I was surprised at how despite the number of genres explored within the movie, they all come together so nicely. I was expecting it to be funny, I was expecting it to be gruesome, I was even expecting a little romance, but how Jeunet manages to creatively weave all the themes into a cohesive plot is astounding. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjMQDbq4TKs

thegreenarrow

An American Werewolf In London (1981)
- Director John Landis, starring David Naughton, Jenny Agutter and Griffin Dunne; My brother's favourite movie, it was a film I pretty much grew up with. I love the eerieness of the introduction scene on the Moors, it's so full of suspense and an unknown terror, and then it is offset so well with the comedic elements of the movie. I love Rick Baker's effects work on the movie, where despite it's 30 years since opening it still looks fresh and innovative, where as movies such as Twilight with all their CGI gimickery already looked dated and just downright poor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3FTkAS15zk

transformers

Star Trek (2009)
– Director: J.J Abrams; starring Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana and Karl Urban. Star Trek was a film that seriously surprised me. I remember watching the trailers and thinking that it looked really dumb. I ended up seeing it in the theaters due to all of the acclaim it was getting and I ended up loving it. This is one of the best pieces of sci-fi ever created. It's a beyond entertaining, well acted, amusing and flat out awesome flick. I really can't wait for the sequel. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcFLgkCKi1Q

englishozzy

The Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948)
- Director: John Huston; starring Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston, Tim Holt and Bruce Bennett. Another film my Grandad told me I had to watch, and he was right. A perfect film that still had aspects of the golden generation of Hollywood but Huston made this film with a slight tinge of a more gritty and an out of character storyline. Bogart, who had previously been what we would call a tween heartthrob now, puts on a display that not only demonstrates his acting abilities but also shows that he doesn't always have to play the romantic. The fact that this was the first film after the war to be filmed outside Hollywood studios makes this even more appealing. If you haven't seen the original I suggest you rent it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTQY3NBJXE4

Ron Burgundy

Oldboy (2003)
- Director: Chan Wook-Park; starring Min-Sik Choi, Ji-tae Yu and Hye-jeong Kang. It’s been picked a few times now, but it’s such a good story. Oldboy has a big twist and a climatic storyline, the acting is superb and directing is even better. I really like the fight scene in the hallway; I think it has since been mimicked in other Hollywood films on numerous occasions. Just one of the few films I have seen once that appear on my list, it had such a powerful impact. Highly recommend to those who haven’t seen it. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLn1y9v6yno

Buscemi

Labyrinth (1986)
- Director: Jim Henson; starring David Bowie, Jennifer Connelly, Toby Froud, Brian Henson and Ron Mueck. A wish gone wrong becomes the basis for this fantasy film that would end up being the final film that Jim Henson directed before his untimely death in 1990. The imagination and work that got put into this film is astounding and shows proof that they don't make them like they used to do. The David Bowie soundtrack adds to the film's atmosphere created by Henson and writer Terry Jones to create a strange dream-world full of murderous goblins, artistic set pieces (based off of works from artists such as M.C. Escher) and Jareth, the Goblin King. A flop when it was first released, you can see why this is one of the biggest cult films of all-time. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT_xpFZe20A

Chienfantome

Saving Private Ryan (1998)
– Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Tom Sizemore, Edward Burns, Giovanni Ribisi and Barry Pepper. I mentioned The New World as one of the 10 films I anticipated the most in my life. Well, here’s another one. I was 16, and that trailer turned me into a mad ball of impatience. It looked so epic, so engaging, I would have killed to see that film. I’ve seen it twice in theater. The first time in the cinema room number 6 of the UGC Ciné Cité Les Halles. I remember the cinema, I remember the row. The second time was in the huge room of the UGC Normandie (an appropriate name for a cinema to screen such a film, right ?), on the Champs Elysées, with my history class (it was at the beginning of the year I graduated high school). Those first 20 or 25 minutes of the film, that landing of the beaches of Normandie, they turned my stomach upside down. They turned my knowledge of cinema upside down. Saving Private Ryan reshaped the way war films were done. The rest of the film may not be as groundbreaking as that landing act. But it does not make it any less good. Spielberg uses the ballad of the soldiers through French countryside and danger to build up a more classical but still remarkable feature. He uses the offbeat of a WWII road trip to draw the portraits of men sucked up into war. I could have done without the old man prologue and epilogue, but it’s a detail. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ci-ApiC1nI

numbersix

Barry Lyndon (1975)
- Director: Stanley Kubrick; starring Ryan O’Neal, Marisa Berenson and Leon Vitali. Kubrick probably defied expectations by making a period drama after the challenging A Clockwork Orange and 2001. But this film goes far beyond the mannered dramas that came before and after. The story of an Irishman who ends up fighting for several armies and conning his way through Europe until he marries into wealth is actually a very witty film. Kubrick casts his cynical eye on the class systems and rituals of olden times. It is also a criticism of ruthless ambition, but complicates matters by making Barry a somewhat pathetic character. The music is wonderfully expressive, and I’m sure you all know that Kubrick insisted on special lenses being built in order to light the scenes using candles, so he could mimic the traditional paintings that the cinematography was based on.

Here’s a brilliant scene from early in the film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bos2ZTGNZc

Banks

Clueless (1995)
- Director: Amy Heckerling; starring Alicia Silverstone, Stacey Dash and Brittany Murphy. Well, I already know I’m going to catch some heat for this, but I unabashedly love Clueless. Not in a gay-slumber-party-green-facial-pajama way, but in a “this film is witty and sharp and funny as hell after you ignore the girly exterior” way. In Silverstone’s best role, she hits every note perfectly as the airhead high school senior who just wants everyone to be happy, as she navigates love in a posh Beverly Hills setting. I just wish she’d done more films like this than Batman & Robin or Beauty Shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFR9TNsByLk

BarcaRulz

WALL-E (2009)
– Director: Andrew Stanton; starring Ben Burtt, Jeff Garlin and John Ratzenberger. I have to say, I was extremely skeptical about an animated film with no dialogue for almost an hour, about a lonely robot who then falls in love. However, with Pixar I have learned to trust almost unconditionally, and I was not let down. A great story, supported by amazing animation, really allowed this film to be an inspiration to people of all ages. My first of four animations. (4th appearance)

La Vie En Rose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmBJQT4JrCU

Geezer

Cool Runnings (1993)
- Director: John Turtletaub; starring: John Candy, Leon, Malik Yoba and Doug E. Doug. Alright look, I already know who is going to appreciate the greatness of Cool Runnings and who won't, so you can spare me. If it’s not for you, cool, great, that’s you. I'm sorry that you didn't have a childhood and dropped out of your mother with your nose held high. Cool Runnings is great. Its hilarious, the characters are so entertaining, and its one you can watch with the whole family. Oh, and did I mention that it’s an inspirational sports movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLlmymHRNZg

leestu

The Great Escape (1963)
- Director: John Sturges; starring Steve McQueen, James Garner, Richard Attenborough, Charles Bronson, Donald Pleasance and James Coburn. One of the movies I used to love watching on a weekend afternoon when I was young and starting to love watching movies. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7iKmqBckIo

W

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)
- Director: Adam McKay; starring Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly and Sacha Baron Cohen. It's got so many things going for it comedically. Will Ferrell plays a great Southerner who's ignorant on most things foreign and abroad (as does Reilly). Cohen put his stamp on another character. There's so many great quotes in there from the recurring "Shake n' Bake," gags like the invisible fire, one liners like "I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!", and statements like Highlander winning the Oscar for the best movie ever made. (2nd appearance)

Mike Honcho: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwFqZPg9d8k

NSpan

An American Werewolf in London (1981)
– Director: John Landis; starring David Naughton, Jenny Agutter and Griffin Dunne. One of my favorite endings ever. And so many great moments leading up to it. The dream sequence, the zoo, the transformation, the music, all the laughs--and, surprisingly, the thrills. One of the few horror-comedies that manages to master both genres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESh4t57L4Xs

undeadmonkey

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- Director: Irvin Kershner; starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. George Lucas’ Star Wars (and Spielberg’s Indiana Jones series) are mostly to blame for the endless sequels we get nowadays. In all honesty though, I don’t really mind. Sequels are a chance to take what worked in the first film and fix what didn’t work without having to set up a whole new set of characters and situations. And that is exactly what happened in this sequel to Star Wars. Add an interesting new character, Yoda, throw in some twists that no one saw coming and this movie is endlessly fun. This film also achieved something that very few films do now, which is that the main characters actually felt like they were in danger at times. Great film with great re-watchability factor. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6bvuhPyq8Q

JohnErle

Parenthood (1989)
– Director: Ron Howard; starring Steve Martin, Mary Steenburgen, Dianne Wiest, Jason Robards, Rick Moranis, Tom Hulce, Martha Plimpton, Joaquin Phoenix and Keanu Reeves. Funny and poignant with a remarkably talented and deep ensemble cast. Even Keanu Reeves is brilliant in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgrbuRNc-AQ

Collective Top 100 update:

Empire Strikes Back and Wall-E, making their 4th appearances, jump into the Top 10 at #7 and #8, respectively. Oldboy, also making its 4th apperance, jumps up to #13.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #6): 50-41

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #50

Shrykespeare: Speed (1994) – Well, it was an exciting premise for a movie, I'll give you that. I do hate Keanu, though. But still, not bad for a 90's action flick.

silversurfer: Delicatessen (1991) - Another well-written piece, SS. Glad this isn't on my list as I'd have nothing else to add. Very funny, very dark, and very imginative. Great stuff!

thegreenarrow

transformers: Star Trek (2009) – I too was surprised by how enjoyable it was. Some great scene and this is how you reboot a franchise. Still not a classic for me, but it's a blockbuster franchise heading in the right direction.

englishozzy: The Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948) - Still haven't seen it, though really should as I generally like Huston's films.

Ron Burgundy: Oldboy (2003) - Really delighted to see this appear in more than just SS's list ;). Great movie, and that fight scene is amazing.

Buscemi: Labyrinth (1986) - Didn't realise it was a flop, especially as I loved it as a kid. Great stuff. Didn't know Terry Jones was involved, but it kinda makes sense.

Chienfantome: Saving Private Ryan (1998) – Agreed about the first 25 minutes, they truly are amazing. And while there are great moments in the rest (the throwing back of the grenade, the knife scene), it feels a little too formulaic. Nevertheless while it's not a Top 100 film for me, I can see the brilliance in it.

Banks: Clueless (1995) - This was on TV the other day and I noticed Paul Rudd in it. That guy hasn't aged! Don't think I've sen it all through but I do remmeber the buzz being that it was above the average teen flick. Silverstone is an awful actress though, and only works in this film because she's playing a stuck-up airhead!

BarcaRulz: WALL-E (2009) – Which Pixar film will win out, I wonder? I suspect that Ratatouille will be the best, and perhaps this second best. I still prefer Up but this has some amazing moments.

Geezer: Cool Runnings (1993) - You won't get any bashing from me. Possibly the most shown movie on TV over here, I have fond memories. Even though you can say it's generic (going for the Rocky-type storyline) I can't deny that there's something deeply unpretentious and modest about the film. It's not trying to be a powerful sports movie, it's just a pleasant family film about bettering yourself, regardless of who wins.

leestu: The Great Escape (1963) - Nah, still think it's a tonal disaster of a movie.

W: Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006) - Haven't seen it. Aren't all of these Will Ferrell sports comedies the same?

NSpan: An American Werewolf in London (1981) – Saw it for the first time a year ago and was very surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Some really funny moments, and that transformation scene is truly unforgettable.

undeadmonkey: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - Yep, you know I love it.

JohnErle: Parenthood (1989) – Never fully watched this.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare: Speed (1994)- Haven't seen it surprisingly, it's been on my Netflix list for a long time.

silversurfer: Delicatessen (1991)-Haven't seen it.

englishozzy: The Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948)-Haven't seen it.

Ron Burgundy: Oldboy (2003)-I'm very interested in seeing it, seems like it would an awesome movie. I've heard great things from here and from a lot of my friends.

Buscemi: Labyrinth (1986)- I'm sorry Boosh, but I can say this is easily the worst movie featured on anyone's list so far. I despise this movie, it's one of the worst movies i've ever seen. Such a lame fantasy film that is WAY too corny for it's own good. (0/10)

Chienfantome: Saving Private Ryan (1998)-Brilliant film, it made my list as well. The first 25 minutes are breathtaking, as is the whole film. This is one hell of a war film (9.5/10)

numbersix: Barry Lyndon(1975)- Haven't seen it, I will check it out, sounds intresting.

Banks: Clueless (1995)-Haven't seen it.

BarcaRulz: WALL-E (2009)-This is one of Pixar's weaker films, it's not bad by any means, I just found it to be overated.(6/10)

Geezer: Cool Runnings (1993)-This just missed my list. Such a pleasant and fun film, I have seen it quite a few times and the charm doesn't wear off. Good choice(9/10)

leestu: The Great Escape (1963)-Haven't seen it.

W: Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)-Really funny film. Ferrell and Reily are a priceless comic duo. It loses a little of bit it's luster on repeat viewings, but it's still funny as hell(8.5/10)

NSpan: An American Werewolf in London (1981)-Haven't seen it.

undeadmonkey: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) -Great pick, I am not going to get too carried away with how much I love this movie. Let's just say it's coming up on my list later(10/10)

JohnErle:Parenthood(1989)-Haven't seen it.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

numbersix wrote:MOVIE #50

W: Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006) - Haven't seen it. Aren't all of these Will Ferrell sports comedies the same?
No... They aren't.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Just added thegreenarrow's pick... and whaddaya know, it's the same choice as NSpan's!

Movie #50

transformers - Star Trek - Great choice. In my Top Ten. Our 12th overlap. (10/10)

BarcaRulz - Wall-E - Glad to see this film getting so much love! Our ninth overlap. (10/10)

undeadmonkey - The Empire Strikes Back - The only one of the original trilogy to miss my list (and just barely). (9/10)

Geezer - Cool Runnings - Was I one of those people who you knew would love this film too? You're a bad mudda. (8/10)

Chienfantome - Saving Private Ryan - An excellent film. (8/10)

leestu - The Great Escape - Terrific film, great score. (7/10)

JohnErle - Parenthood - One of Howard's better efforts. Really funny and sweet in places. (7/10)

W - Talladega Nights - I generally hate Will Ferrell. I also generally hate Sacha Baron Cohen. And I'm not a fan of NASCAR. I don't know what possessed me to watch this film, but the results were predictable. I hated it. (2/10)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #50

Shrykespeare - Speed (1994) – nice pick ;) it's just a fun flick, which is pretty clever as far as action films go. and keanu and sandra's chemistry is great.

transformers - Star Trek (2009) – awesome movie, not top 100 material for me. But just like how I was explaining Star Wars, If the sequel can take what worked in this film and fix the few parts that fell flat. The sequel has a great chance of being a classic.

Chienfantome - Saving Private Ryan (1998) – great pick, i will elaborate later as it is coming up soon on my list

Banks - Clueless (1995) - It's been so long since i've sen it, i couldn't really comment anything about it.

BarcaRulz - WALL-E (2009) – i remember before it came out, people were basically calling the end of pixar as we know it. How could a movie that was about a robot falling in love in a movie that was supposed to be the equivalent of a 1930s silent pic be successful? Once people saw it though, most were blown away. In an age were emotion is frowned upon and true communication is dying, this little robot seemed more human than, well, humans. A film that in 50 years from now will be perceived as a true classic. (also this is the film my 3 year old brother runs to most)

Geezer - Cool Runnings (1993) - yes, this also was a great movie from my childhood, but unlike the classic Disney films and a few others, it hasn't really followed me into adulthood. I'm not saying it's bad, I just haven't had the urge to watch it since I was 14.

Haven't seen

silversurfer - Delicatessen* (1991)

thegreenarrow - An American Werewolf In London* (1981)

englishozzy - The Treasure of Sierra Madre* (1948)

Ron Burgundy - Oldboy (2003)

Buscemi - Labyrinth (1986)

numbersix - Barry Lyndon (1975) - i know it's bad as a movie buff, but i haven't seen any kubrick films all the way through. I tried watching A clockwork orange because everyone says its so great, i watched maybe half of it and i was so angry for wasting my time, i hated it. Since then i have never wanted to watch any of his films

leestu - The Great Escape* (1963)

W - Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006) - its a movie i will never watch, i have seen a few clips and its will ferrell at his worst. even if all my friends decide to watch it, i will go do something else, believe me, its happened.

NSpan - An American Werewolf in London* (1981)

JohnErle - Parenthood (1989)

*films that are on my list the size of the atlantic

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Speed
How long has it been since I last saw Speed ? I can't remember. BUt I vividly remember the time it was released was a time when cinema interested me more and more, and that kind of fast paced action movie was definitely my kind of film. More than now, for sure. I loved it as a teen. Would I still love it, probably not as much, but I'm sure it's still a fun film to watch.

Surfer - Delicatessen
Jeunet and Caro films are darker than Jeunet's film solo. They are also more bizarre, and I love them for that. Delicatessen is my second favourite film from Jeunet, and had I seen it recently, I might have considered it for my Top. But it's been such a long time. The characters crafted are fantastic, it's got such a strange, funny and yet disturbing atmosphere. Great film.

greenarrow & NSpan- An american werewolf in London
I've only seen it once years ago, but I really liked it. Werewolves film are rare, and the good, serious ones are even rarer. It's still the absolute classic in the genre.

transformers - Star Trek
I've never been a fan of Star Trek, it has always bored me. And yet JJ Abrams crafted a unique film in the mythology that convinced me that there was something fascinating to create with Star Trek. One of the very best studio films from last year, which has me inrested in seeing a sequel.

Ozzy - The Treasure of Sierra Madre
Isn't it a second appearance ? Anyway, I haven't seen it, but it's the kind of film I'm really eager to discover.

Ron B - Oldboy
At the end of the decade we just lived, there' no doubt Oldboy is an iconic and important film of that cinematographic era. It certainly put the Korean cinema on the map. Amazing film.

Buscemi - Labyrinth
I've never seen it, and I sense it's a film that needed to be discovered young. Maybe I'm wrong.

Six - Barry Lyndon
Here's another film my search for the perfect conditions to see a film has led me to... having not seen it yet. I want to see it with a beautiful copy on a big screen, but haven't had the opportunity to see it that way yet. But I will, I know I will ;)

Banks - Clueless
I remember seeing it on TV a few years back. Paul Rudd was already a cool actor. It was fun. Nothing memorable, just nice.

Barca - Wall-E
A very fine Pixar film, which is absolutely amazing in its first act. Not my favourite Pixar, but still an audacious piece of anomated filmmaking.

Geezer- Cool Runnings
It seems your prediction of some people not liking Cool Runnings is falling flat, Geezer... ;) I won't say bad things about it, me neither. It's a film I grew up with. It was a huuuuuge success in France during summer 1994 (if I remember correctly...), and I LOVED it as soon as I saw it. In France, it was entitled "Rasta Rocket" ! As soon as it was available on VHS, I bought it, or my mom bought it to me, and I have watched it a lot between 13 and 16. I haven't seen it in years, but I've loved it so much, I can only understand your choice. Last year I've seen a Korean film that reminded me of it, "Take Off". The true story of the Korean team of ski jumping. I'm sure you'd love it.

leestu - The Great Escape
Excellent choice, Leestu ;) It's an amazing cinematographic adventure I do not get tired of. I chose it myself for my Top a few days ago.

W - Talladega Nights
I love Will Ferrell, he cracks me up most of the time. This one, though, is not a real favourite of mine. I think it's too much american for me. But I still like it.

UDM - Empire strikes back
It's the greatest Star Wars film ever made. A breathtaking space adventure. Amazing.

JohnErle - Parenthood
I've never seen it, and given how unimpressed I generally am by Ron Howard's films, I doubt I'll see it anytime soon...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chienfantome wrote: Ozzy - The Treasure of Sierra Madre
Isn't it a second appearance ? Anyway, I haven't seen it, but it's the kind of film I'm really eager to discover.
You're absolutely right, Chien... Ron B had it at #89. My bad. Good catch!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

W wrote:
numbersix wrote:MOVIE #50

No... They aren't.

Talladega Nights: jerkass who's so invincible that you end up wanting the bad guy to win. Also, a surprisingly accurate portrayal of NASCAR.
Blades of Glory: jerkass who can't skate but is somehow the greatest skater alive. Makes you feel sorry for Jon Heder's character (who actually tries to do well).
Semi-Pro: jerkass who is actually somewhat aware that he isn't the big shot he thinks he is. Also the most down-to-earth of his sports films (though somewhat inaccurate with the history of ABA). Also has a Jackie Earle Haley cameo.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #49

Shrykespeare

Aliens (1986)
– Director: James Cameron; starring Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, Carrie Henn, Lance Henriksen and Bill Paxton. Nail-biting action and tension all the way up to the final minute, Weaver’s Ellen Ripley may be the single most famous female action role, ever. The bond she forms with sole survivor Newt and the final square-off between her and the Alien Queen Mother is one of the greatest action scenes of all time. “Get away from her, you BITCH!!” (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-RIYhcsAFM

silversurfer

The Third Man (1949)
- Director: Carol Reed; starring Joseph Cotton, Alida Valli and Orson Welles. It's remarkable how some films can age so poorly, while others, over 60 years old, can still maintain that suspense and intensity which gripped audiences all those years ago. The Third Man is a brilliantly portrayed, multi layered noir which centers on the mystery surrounding the apparent death of Cotten's friend Harry Lime. Shot in black and white to startling effect (and with a few sharp camera angles akin to Citizen Kane suggesting Robert Krasker was open to Welles' input), where shadows and light are utilized perfectly to capture the atmospheric qualities of a post WWII Vienna, the tale centers on a forceful examination of friendship and loyalty within a cynical political environment. You can almost smell the fear and distrust of the city as the climatic chase scene streams through the sewers. What makes the movie most memorable though, I suppose, is Orson Welles' character, as while he only appears in the latter part of the movie, his introduction strikes a haunting and electric character filled with intrigue. For me the movie is a success in pretty much every area; direction, writing, cinematography, music and acting, there are absolutely no faults in this gripping story, which I suppose is why it has stood the test of time so well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNl-rkqaW_Y

thegreenarrow

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
- Director: Henry Selick; starring Danny Elfman, Chris Sarandon and Catherine O'Hara. We just watched this the other night in preparation for Christmas as we do annually, Burton basically created an animated version of all the macabre ideas he had floating around in his head for Beetlejuice and Batman Returns, with some great stop motion techniques (which, as I have previously mentioned, I have always preferred over CGI) and addictive songs - and I'm someone who usually hates singing! (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrB9I3DM80

transformers

Shane (1953)
– Director: George Stevens; starring Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur and Van Heflin. This is the oldest film on my entire list. I really haven't seen too many pre-1970's films, but Shane make want to explore more. This is a classic, quintessential western that demands to be seen by any film fan. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdd07SDHv5Q

englishozzy

WALL-E (2008)
- Director: Andrew Stanton; starring Ben Burtt, Elissa Knight, Jeff Garlin, Fred Willard and John Ratzenberger. I am a huge Pixar fan, and I haven't yet come across one of their films I don't like. In my eyes, they can do no wrong and this film is one of the pinnacles of their collection. Pixar are very good at displaying their creative talent but also infusing an emotional storyline which normally lacks from an animation. WALL-E is a perfect example of this as the amount of emotion that emits from a robot that doesn't even speak is astonishing. A storyline that involves some funny slapstick but can always tug at your heartstrings. One of their best films to date. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alIq_wG9FNk

Ron Burgundy

Casino (1995)
- Director: Martin Scorsese; starring Robert DeNiro, Joe Pesci, Sharon Stone, James Woods, Frank Vincent, Kevin Pollack and Don Rickles. Scorsese is basically a genius. I’ve found his films to be a pretty good hangover cure, because I get so engrossed and engaged in his flicks that time just rolls by. This spectacle of a film has some of the best acting starting with Joe Pesci who does so well as the angry Nicky, DeNiro is also spot on as the precise and calculated Sam ‘Ace’ Rothstein and then most of the supporting cast are in top form, not to mention Sharon Stone who probably hit her peak with this. A bit of trivia/ but also a *spoiler* is about Frank Vincent, who appears in Goodfellas (the guy who tells Pesci’s character to go get his shinebox to shine his shoes) and get viciously beaten up by Pesci in Goodfellas, ironically gives Pesci’s character in Casino a reversal of events and somehow gets his revenge. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBjmiE1kf_Q

Buscemi

Kill Bill Vol. I & II (2003/2004)
- Director: Quentin Tarantino; starring Uma Thurman, David Carradine, Michael Madsen, Daryl Hannah and Lucy Liu. An epic four-hour journey (split into two parts for theatres to get an R rating) about an ex-assassin who vows revenge on the assassins who turned their backs against her, left her for dead and kidnapped her child, most notably the Bill of the title. Over the sprawling run time, you are never once bored. Tarantino makes sure to fill that run time with lots of action, dialogue, black comedy, homages to old martial arts films and even an anime scene. The acting of Thurman and Carradine (both criminally getting snubbed for Oscar nominations) is top-notch and was notable for helping both actors make brief comebacks after years of flops and "for the money" roles. The action is possibly the best in recent Hollywood cinema, with Tarantino making lots of detail seen and ignoring modern conventions such as CGI. The cinematic gods would be proud. (4th appearance for both volumes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-czwy-aVbbU

Chienfantome

Raise the Red Lantern (Da hong deng long gao gao gua) (1991)
– Director: Zhang Yimou, starring Gong Li, He Saifei, Cao Cuifen, Zhao Qi. Today, Zhang Yimou is most known for his wu xia pian movies, those aesthetic sword fights films. But before Hero or House of Flying Daggers, the Chinese director made quite a few dramas. And one of them is a superb film entitled Raise the Red Lantern. It’s about a young Chinese woman, in the first half of 20th Century. She is brought as the 4th wife for a rich man living in a big traditional house that will be like the Forbidden City for her. She can never go out, she must live with the other wives, and sleep with the master whenever he feels like it, sharing him with the other wives. She is young, and beautiful, and stuck. Through this story of traditions, Zhang Yimou tells an amazing film about modern China. His characters are almost only women. The master of the house is never clearly seen, we only see glimpses of him. He is dehumanized, while those women full of life and promises are prisoners of his will. It’s the story of China, a young and promising people trapped by traditions, trapped by a system enslaving them. That’s the heart of Zhang Yimou’s vision. And he says so through a beautifully crafted film, so cold, so bitter, so strong. Gong Li, a muse to the director is riveting as the main character. I honestly think the Chinese actress is one of the greatest there is. I also think she is the most beautiful woman on Earth. But that’s another story ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vivaoPZhIH8

numbersix

The Terminator (1984)
- Director: James Cameron; starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn. While many of you prefer the sequel (and it is a brilliant film), this is a tad better for me. Sure, the sequel has Sarah Connor becoming a true hero, but there’s something deeply terrifying about an unrelenting machine hunting down frail humans. There’s something about not being able to reason with it that’s truly scary, not to mention the associations it has with death as we see the figure being stripped away to a skeleton as the plot progresses. I also like the circular logic of time travel, as the final battle takes place in the company that’s going to invent Skynet! (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Jo8QoOTQ4

Banks

Friday (1995)
- Director: F. Gary Gray; starring Ice Cube, Chris Tucker, Nia Long, Faizon Love and Regina King. Friday is a movie that’s been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, it was the tape I watched the most when I was little – mostly due to having two older brothers who had no patience for kiddie films. It’s eye-opening to go back and watch it now, and understand all of the parts and jokes that I’d no idea what they meant, and get them now. It’s very funny and touching at the same time, jumping from fish-in-a-barrel easy comedy to giving its take on serious topics, like gang culture or violence in the inner city. The two sequels, while funny in their own right, are very different and cannot hope to match up with such a classic. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA_jhUdeoHs

BarcaRulz

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
– Director: Guy Ritchie; starring Jason Flemyng, Jason Statham and Vinnie Jones. Was always going to happen, despite how some of you feel about it. I truly enjoy the Guy Ritchie gangster films. The acting is great in terms of a comedic impact, the action is fun, and the story is just a nice way to fuck with people along the way. Some people think it is just an over stylized crime/comedy, while to me it is a great ensemble cast having fun with a smart script, and it rubs off on me in a good way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6hZkvrFIj0

Geezer

Rear Window (1954)
- Director: Alfred Hitchcock; starring Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly and Thelma Ritter. This is, in my opinion, Hitchcock's master work. In every way the film is brilliant. The way he builds such an engaging, suspenseful, story in such a tight space with so few actors is just a joy to watch. A true nail-biter of a film, something in which Hitchcock was the best at. The climactic scene makes you think you are going to fall out of your chair! Jimmy Stewart couldn't be better, just a brilliant actor playing a brilliant character. But what is best of all about the film is how well it holds up nearly 60 years later. That is a true testament to a great film. This film could be released in theaters today and audiences would still love it. Not a bad thing to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kCcZCMYw38

leestu

Delicatessen (1991)
- Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet; starring Dominique Pinon, Jean-Claude Dreyfus and Marie-Laure Dougnac. I don’t remember what the first foreign movie I ever watched was (possibly Christiane F) but Delicatessen would have been one of the earliest that showed me something different and made me want to see more. I was mesmerized by this dark tale set in a post apocalyptic time. Dominique Pinon and Jean-Claude Dreyfus were excellent in the lead roles, visually it was stunning, and it is a joy to watch every time. Even if you aren’t normally interested in foreign movies I recommend you check out this scene for a great example of the artistry of the directors. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avuovbgoyxU

W

Rounders (1998)
- Director: John Dahl; starring Matt Damon, Edward Norton, John Malkovich and John Turturro. You know, I normally can't stand it when people try to make a sports movie (for instance) and it's evident that they have never played before. This film obviously knows poker. It knows it so much that poker players quote it. With Damon, Norton, Malkovich, Turturro, and Landau, there's a glut of great actors. And within all of that, they have a great story. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPvILCgCgzw

NSpan

Clue (1985)
– Director: Jonathan Lynn; starring Tim Curry, Madeline Kahn, Christopher Lloyd, Eileen Brennan, Michael McKean, Lesley Ann Warren and Martin Mull. A movie based on a board game... Who’da thunk it could actually work?? Tim Curry shines, but it's an ensemble piece--and everybody plays their parts well. When you think "experimental film," this probably doesn't come immediately to mind. But think about it. How cool is it that the film was distributed with DIFFERENT endings throughout the country? The final version, with all three endings cobbled in, is definitive. But points to the distributor for allowing such a unique release originally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkwqw4lPz64

undeadmonkey

Junebug (2005)
- Director: Phil Morrison; starring Embeth Davidtz, Alessandro Nivola, Amy Adams and David Kuhn. Looking through my favorite films, they could all probably fit into three categories. Fantasy films where in which things happen that could never be experienced or seen in real life, Films based on true events which are almost too extraordinary to be true or character study films. For me it is very rare to see a film that has characters and a situation that seem real and could actually happen and the cameras just happened to be there to catch it. Which when you think about it is what filmmaking is really about. At first glance Junebug looks to be about a stereotypical small town family whose son has returned after a few years in a big city with a new artist wife. The new dynamic brings out the insecurities and faults the family has and has disregarded in themselves and just accepted their life as is. It seems as though this family is just a ‘family’ because that’s where they have been put but pay attention and you’ll be rewarded with the hints of the heart each of these characters have who just don’t know how to communicate properly. Also this film is one that says more in its silence instead of resorting to expositional dialogue, which is always a treat. Lastly, talk about this film would not be complete with out Amy Adams’ performance as Ashley, which in my eyes is some of the best acting I have seen, EVER. Her character could have easily become cartoonish and annoying, but instead she is so full of life and love and is the spider web, which holds and pulls this film together into the tour de force it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB6bKHGikbw

JohnErle

The Living Daylights (1987)
– Director: John Glen; starring Timothy Dalton, Maryam d’Abo, Jeroen Krabbe and Joe Don Baker. I saw this in the theatres when I was 15, which is the perfect age to be swept away by Bond. A nice balance of realism and escapism, and Dalton was much better than Brosnan for my tastes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3QtS3tL2Qw

Fantaverse Top 20 Update - with its two recent picks, Delicatessen moves into the Top 20 at #16. And with its 4th and 5th appearance in the last two days, Wall-E jumps all the way up to #2.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #49

englishozzy - Wall-E - Wow. Five apperances. And we haven't even gotten to mine yet! Our 11th overlap. (10/10)

Buscemi - Kill Bill - Looks like the KB saga is giving Reservoir Dogs a run for the best QT film of all. Wonder if Pulp Fiction will make a late run. Vol. 1 is our 7th overlap. (Vol. 1: 10/10; Vol. 2: 9/10)

numbersix - The Terminator - Our 7th overlap. Funny... your last two overlaps have both been Terminator movies. (9/10)

NSpan - Clue - Bravo, Nicky. Nothing like combining old-school slapstick with a juicy murder mystery. This and the much-maligned Radioland Murders are my favorites with that formula. Clue is silly beyond belief, but it's so much fun to watch. (Favorite bit? Mr. Green: "Will you STOP THAT!" Wadsworth: "No!") And what a great use of the classic hit "Shake, Rattle and Roll"! (7/10)

JohnErle - The Living Daylights - I didn't think much of Dalton as Bond, but this was my favorite of his outings as 007. Maryam d'Abo was so hot (and, ironically, just turned 50 years old the other day). (6/10)

thegreenarrow - The Nightmare Before Christmas - As I said when your hubby picked this film, it just didn't wow me as much as some other people. Quintessential Burton, though. (5/10)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #49

Shrykespeare: Aliens (1986) – Great pick. Admittedly Newt is a little annoying, but the action is just so good (and most importantly it's tense, as opposed to just loud and colourful) that it's a classic for me.

silversurfer: The Third Man (1949) - One of the best thrillers ever. But one thing I have to add, is that for all its amazing cinematography and tense chases, there's actually a lot of wit in the dialogue, ensuring that the film doesn't get too serious (or pretentious) and ends up being solid entertainment. Every film-makers should watch this a hundred times before making anything.

thegreenarrow: The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - I hate musicals too, and this is proof of quality when I actually really enjoyed this movie. Selick has proven with this and Coraline that he's a force to be reckoned with.

transformers: Shane (1953) – Really need to see this.

englishozzy: WALL-E (2008) - Wow, this is getting a whole lotta love. Will it beat Ratatouille for the most picked Pixar flick? I wouldn't mind, as this is just that bit superior in my opinion. But where's the love for Up?

Ron Burgundy: Casino (1995) - Another wow. This has appeared twice and no one has picked Goodfellas yet? Hope you place it higher, as Goodfellas is superior in almost every way. I like Casino, but it did feel like a b-sides collection to the proper album that is Goodfellas. I felt Casino lacked a proper protagonist too. Oh, and that scene with Frank Vincent... there's also a scene in Raging Bull that's very similar to the "shine his shoes" scene.

Buscemi: Kill Bill Vol. I & II (2003/2004) - Well picked, and an amazing flick. Wonderful ambition for a director known for dialogue-heavy films. Tarantino is still an exciting director, even when he doesn't quite get it right. Don't think Thurman or Carradine deserved oscars (the latter really just smiles and has a good voice), as this is really a film about action in all its forms.

Chienfantome: Raise the Red Lantern (Da hong deng long gao gao gua) (1991) – Quelle surprise: a foreign language arthouse films that you love and I haven't seen! At least I've heard of this one, and it does look like an amazing film. And it was only a matter of time before the Gong Li films started invading your Top 100 ;)

Banks: Friday (1995) - Still haven't seen it, and probably won't.

BarcaRulz: Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) – Entertaining but vastly over-rated. Ritchie tends to make slick and amusing films, but you just don't give a damn about the characters because they have no inner life. This is Ritchie's best, but it's still not my kinda thing.

Geezer: Rear Window (1954) - Oh yes, this is indeed the time of Hitch's peek and this is an astounding piece of cinema. The world he creates is brilliantly realised, and Stewart is in his element. An interesting thriller based around the idea that we're all voyeurs and can't help being so.

leestu: Delicatessen (1991) - If SS and Green Arrow were ever to have a threesome, you would be a good candidate ;) Very similar tastes. Good movie though.

W: Rounders (1998) - Just because poker players quote it that doesn't mean the makers get it. That scene where Damon guesses the exact hand of his lecturers is ridiculous. It turns the difficulty of working the odds in poker into something mystical. Nevertheless, besdies that the film is just average.

NSpan: Clue (1985) – Hmmm... never seen it, but let me ask you this: would it be in your Top 100 if it didn't have multiple endings? What I mean is does the whole of the movie work regardless of the experiment that comes at the end? It looks a bit camp and silly to me.

undeadmonkey: Junebug (2005) - I remember this getting good reviews, especially in terms of Adams's performance. I should give it a spin.

JohnErle: The Living Daylights (1987) – I don't think there's any Bond film (and I've seen them all except for Quantum, several times) that deserves a place in any Top 100 films. I have a soft spot for A View toa Kill just because it's so unintentionally hilarious. Dalton's films were step on the gritty side (and he was better than Brosnan) but the action didn't quite click with that idea. Only Casino Royale managed that. So no, not great.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Finally got some time, can start commenting again.

Shryke - Nice pick, long time since i last watched this film, just might have to pick it up again. 8/10

Transformers - An overlap on my list, definately a very good action movie. Not into the whole Star Trek thing so was very glad to have actually watched this. 8/10

Barca - Another near perfect film from Pixar, ironically enough i had this as my #49 pick. 9/10

Geezer - Another film i havent seen in a long time, i remember laughing my ass off when i watched this though. 8/10

Leestu - Really enjoyed this film and i actually have it coming up as my #47 pick. 9/10

W - Not a huge fan of Will Ferrel but this is probably one of his better movies. 6/10

Shryke - For some reason i tend to get the Alien movies a bit slurred in my head and never really remember which one is which. From what i recall i give this 7/10

Greenarrow - A great film that brings back some good childhood memories for me. The stop-motion really works for this film and Burton's mind is on full display here. 9/10

Buscemi - Im glad we have another person that classes this as two films, yes, the argument of the second one being far superior is accepted but you cannot watch one without the other. 8/10

Barca - Big fan of Ritchie's style of directing, using his music video experience, and a brilliant debut. 9/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:Chienfantome: Raise the Red Lantern (Da hong deng long gao gao gua) (1991) – Quelle surprise: a foreign language arthouse films that you love and I haven't seen! At least I've heard of this one, and it does look like an amazing film. And it was only a matter of time before the Gong Li films started invading your Top 100
Sorry to disappoint, Six, but in the end, Raise the Red Lantern will be the only Gong Li film appearing in my Top ! The only other film of hers I seriously considered including was "Farewell my Concubine", which I think leestu has picked a few rounds backs. But I'll go see anything she's in, jusst for the pleasure of watching her ;) (I was so jealous when I saw that Hannibal Lecter movie she's in, jealous of Gaspard Ulliel who has a love scene with her. At that moment, I wondered why I did not pursue an acting career :lol: )
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Chien probably wishes he was Colin Farrell too (she was in Miami Vice, right?).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr