Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #6): 50-41

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #6): 50-41

Post by Geezer »

So from what I gather from Six's comments, every film is either too predictable, or stupid because its unpredictability is too far fetched. No wonder you hate everything.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Inteesting round this one. Almost everyone had a film that features in my Top 100 somewhere along the line. Also a general improvment as we breach the Top 50. 61 of my movies have now been pick by y'all, and they were picked 113 times, so lots of repeats. Everyone shares at least 3 movies or more except for UDM (2 films).

Shryke
Average: 6.28

This marks a significant improvement for you, Shryke. Your choices seem to be improving and who knows, maybe when we get to the Top 10 I'll actually like all of your films ;) The Thing and Aliens prove your good taste in horror-tinted sci-fi, and rose your overall grade. You're just lucky I haven't seen enough of Ocean's Eleven to say I detest it!

Silversurfer
Average: 7.5

Once again your taste is most similar to mine. You should try to be unpredictable and stick a few Friedberg and Seltzer films in your Top 10! No duds in this round, with the impressive Delicatessan being the worst pick of a great bunch. And I must check out A Christmas Story! You now have 16 films in my Top 100.

Green Arrow
Average: 6.3

A bit of a dip for Mrs SS, though surely it's just an unfortunate one. I just happen to not be fans of Mars Attack or The Orphanage in what is otherwise a good round.

Transformers
Average: 6.75

A very good round for you too, young sir. It was good to see our common taste expand a bit with not one, but two films appearing in this round that were on my list. Especially surprising is No Country for Old Men, so major kudos for that.

English Ozzy
Average: 6

Sadly, you were the bottom of the bunch for this round, though mostly because the others had generally better picks while yours remained the same. A few good ones like Goodfellas and Hot Fuzz battled with the schmaltzy Pursuit of Happyness and the poorly written Harry Potter movie (which almost all of them are).

Ron Burgandy
Average: 6.13

Major props for including the under-rated 25th Hour, a film I do enjoy a lot. Your overall score is average but not bad. I really need to see Howl's Moving Castle.

Buscemi
Average: 7.4

Another very high score. I was very impressed to see someone else include a Cassavetes. For me, A Woman... is just that much better but Chinese Bookie is fascinating stuff. Strange to see Godfather Part 3 in there, which was the only blemish. I wonder where the other 2 Godfather films will place. We have 12 films on both of our lists

Chien
Average: 7.14

And that may very well be higher if I had seen all of your films. But of the ones you did pick, they were excellent. Looking forward to seeing more classic screwball comedies come up, as they deserve some notice. Die Hard now makes 5 movies we share on our list, but I've seen less movies on yours than anyone else's.

Banks
Average: 6.17

A good few I haven't seen. And while I find Saw and Unbreakable to be quite over-rated, at least you had Groundhog Day!

Barca
Average: 7

A big surprise for you. A normally solid series of rounds has culminated in an excellent one. Songs for a Raggy Boy is the only dud in what was otherwise an amazing list, topped off with classics like The Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia.

Geezer
Average: 7.43

Whaaa? Had to do the maths a second time, but you got the third highest average of this round. Good job, Geez. How this this happen? Well, I haven't seen the films I probably wouldn't like, and of the ones I have, they were either amazing (Rear Window) or not great (Gone Baby Gone), but overall the good beat down on the bad.

Leetsu
Average: 7.5

Finally, a Leetsu roudn where I've seen every film. And they're all great picks, meaning I'm going to have to look into some of the previous ones I haven't watched. Good idea listing the 2 Godfather movies together, they are so close that it's hard to separate them.

W
Average: 6.33

Mostly good stuff here. A lot of mainstream stuff but usually the better end of it. Plenty I haven't seen either but that may be for the best.

NSpan
Average: 7

Coindicentally that's the exact same average for you Top 100-51 films. Your lists manage to surprise, but I guess that's what makes you both unique and mad ;) Good to see The Road get some appreciation, I really felt the critics either didn't get it or felt indebted to McCarthy to dislike it. I also am very interested in Defendor to see if a film from the last 12 months can be worthy of a Top 50 Films list.

UDM
Average: 6.2

Rougly a similar average to your 100-51 favourite films. Empire Strikes Back is a deserved classic as is Princess Bride, though you'd have to pay me to sit through Singing in the Rain.

John Erle
Average: 6.75

More solid stuff from you, John. Mostly excellent stuff, and I really need to catch Rosemary's Baby. Not so sure about any of the Bond films, none ever felt like a great (i.e. favourite) film to me.

Films from this round that I want to see
Raise the Red Lantern
Defendor
Nashville
A Christmas Story
Howl’s Moving Castle

BONUS LIST
I did a quick breakdown of the general genres in my Top 100. I classified Action, adventure, and fantasy all as the same thing, which is normally for the enjoyment of spectacle (sci-fi differs in that it aims to say something about society. I do admit the lines are blurred though. The same goes for "thriller" and "drama"). It broke down as:

Sci-Fi: 9
Horror: 3
Drama: 45
Comedy: 16
Action/Adv/Fant: 14
Thriller: 13

Surprised to see almost half of my films were dramas, and even more surprised that the next most frequent genre was comedy! It would be interesting to see how your own lists break down.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geezer wrote:So from what I gather from Six's comments, every film is either too predictable, or stupid because its unpredictability is too far fetched. No wonder you hate everything.
No, I'm just saying I don't consider Black Hawk Down to be gritty.

And I've never had a problem with "unpredictability" (though I've never used that to criticise a film ever) as long as the human motivations make sense on some level.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

thegreenarrow - The Orphanage (2007) - I can't say i enjoyed it much. It's barely indistinguishable from all the horror/thriller films that have come out this past decade. It wasn't thrilling, i barely cared for any characters. Maybe if Del Toro had actually directed it it could have transcended mediocrity.

transformers - Transformers (2007) – I can't fault the film, it wasn't intended for an oscar best picture. It was supposed to be a fun time and it was. Also I enjoyed the story/plot. It was the second movie that was so boring, hopefully the third will have a decent story and make it fun again.

englishozzy - District 9 (2009) - also a film i can't really fault, although it is still to early for me to consider it a favorite of mine. A definite fun time and we see the aliens on the other end of the stick instead of the conquering monsters we usually see them as. Also the twist of Copley transforming into one of them at the end, made me wonder who are these aliens exactly, how can they turn a human being into them, what did they use to be etc.. The sequel has so many interesting ways it could go, i hope it doesn't take too long.

Ron Burgundy - Gladiator (2000) - yes it is a great film. epic and heartfelt.

Buscemi - A Clockwork Orange (1971) - I will never finish this film, i hated the minutes i spent watching what i did. I don't care if people think it's a masterpiece or a piece of history.

Chienfantome - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) – meh, i didn't get those things that you described. I merely got a headache. ;) Seriously though, i must of just missed the point and honestly i don't feel the need to rewatch it again to get the point. It is cool though that you felt that you had just 'seen the best movie EVER'. It is a fun feeling isn't it?

Banks - Saw (2004) - I don't get it, how has he not killed anyone? he is the one who puts them in the traps isn't he? and if some of the people are too dumb to get out, it's his fault isn't it?... MAYBE it doesn't count as murder, but it's got to at least be manslaughter, right? Fine, i'll admit the first one was kind of original in a horror kind of way and the twist was... interesting. but really it's a stretched out short film. and the sequels are all awful.

Geezer - The Lion King (1994) - fantastic choice, mate! Will be coming up later on my list.

W - Billy Madison (1995) - for me, comedy does still have to be a good film. and there are definitely much better sandler films than this one.

NSpan - The Princess Bride (1987) – great choice. I wish there were more films as such.

Haven't Seen

Shrykespeare - Braveheart* (1995)

silversurfer - Early Summer (1951)

numbersix - Monty Python’s Life of Brian (1979)

BarcaRulz - Lawrence of Arabia* (1962) - i've really got to see this film

leestu - The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and her Lover (1989) - it's got such a cool title, i would almost watch it just for that. I wonder though if it's for me...

JohnErle - Brazil (1985)

*films on my list that hopefully will one day be shorter than me.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:Surprised to see almost half of my films were dramas, and even more surprised that the next most frequent genre was comedy! It would be interesting to see how your own lists break down.
Even though for some films it's hard to decide whch genre they really belong to, here's how my own list breaks down :

Drama : 41
Comedy : 22
Action/Adventure/Fantasy : 20
Thriller : 9
Sci-fi : 8
Horror : 0
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

undeadmonkey wrote:Chienfantome - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) – meh, i didn't get those things that you described. I merely got a headache. ;) Seriously though, i must of just missed the point and honestly i don't feel the need to rewatch it again to get the point. It is cool though that you felt that you had just 'seen the best movie EVER'. It is a fun feeling isn't it?
It's a great feeling to see a fiml and feel it belongs up there with the very best. Altough I never felt Eternal Sunshine was "The best movie ever". That place was already taken when I saw it, and it still belongs to the same film ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare - Clash of the Titans (1981) – i tried to watch it once. I had to turn it off about 30 minutes in. i just couldn't take it. I'll take your word for it that there was a good story hidden somewhere underneath the ghastly special effects and the overacting that was the norm back then. Give it to me in a book then i'll read it, but otherwise i'm ok with not having seen this film.

transformers - Inglourious Basterds (2009) – Like i said, i was definitely surprised by it. Was a lot funnier than i expected too.

englishozzy - The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) - hmmm, it was alright. I mean it's based on a true story, so i can't really fault that. It's just, there was something about the movie that was off-putting for me. also i've never felt the need to rewatch it since the first time. 98% of the films on my list, i've seen multiple times, it's basically a requirement of my list that the films must still be good the 3rd or 5th time.

Buscemi - Jaws (1975) - it's been too long since i've seen this film it's about time for a rewatch.

numbersix - Schindler’s List (1993) - such an intense film. it felt hauntingly real, because well, a lot of it was. Fantastic use of cinematography and color.

Geezer - Black Hawk Down (2001) - totally agree. I was expecting something like this going into hurt locker, not story wise, but tense-wise i suppose. Great film!

W - The Usual Suspects (2001) - I've only ever seen it once, and like i said i knew the twist ending. I wonder if with extra viewings i would come to like it better.

Haven't Seen

silversurfer - Chinatown (1974)

thegreenarrow - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)

Ron Burgundy - American History X (1998)

Chienfantome - Bringing up Baby* (1938)

Banks - Clerks II (2006)

BarcaRulz - The Godfather (1972)

leestu - The Silence of the Lambs* (1991)

NSpan - The Shining (1980)

JohnErle - Body Heat (1981) – I must say, i think out of anyone, i've seen the least of your films, or maybe chien.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Doing 6's Bonus List

mine shake out like this

Sci-Fi: 6
Horror: 6
Drama: 28
Comedy: 21
Action/Adv/Fant: 29
Thriller: 10

I'm surprised at how much comedy i have, but it's mainly because i ranked the musicals as such and quite a few of the animated i put in that category as well. Defining the animated films were hard though, pixar does such a good job of using multiple genres and blending them seamlessly together which i realized is exactly what classic disney use to do.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here's how mine shake out:

Action/Comedy: 4
Action/Drama: 14
Action/Fantasy: 16
Action/Sci-Fi: 15
Animated: 14
Comedy: 13
Comedy/Drama: 6
Drama: 7
Drama/Thriller: 7
Horror/Thriller: 3

I had to split up various categories because I felt it was necessary.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

undeadmonkey wrote: JohnErle - Body Heat (1981) – I must say, i think out of anyone, i've seen the least of your films, or maybe chien.
I tend to root for the underdog, so I usually highlight lesser-known films when people ask me about my favourites. I originally had Back To The Future, Ghostbusters, and Pirates Of The Caribbean on my list, but then I thought of films that made a lot less money that I love just as much, so I booted the blockbusters off my list. Die Hard is awesome too, maybe the best action movie ever made, but I never would have thought to mention it among my very favourites.

Also, I'm just a tad older than you and most of my favourites were set in stone by the time I was 30 so very few films have cracked the top tier since then. Never underestimate the power of nostalgia.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #41

W - The Usual Suspects - one of my all-time favorites. Our fifth overlap. (10/10)

transformers - Inglourious Basterds - Wow, our FIFTEENTH overlap! You are in the clear lead! (9/10)

leestu - The Silence of the Lambs - A lotta love (and a nice chianti). (8/10)

Buscemi - Jaws - Well, I don't know if Jaws is responsible for the preponderance of theaters, but it is a good film. (7/10)

undeadmonkey - 101 Dalmatians - Haven't seen it in forever, but Cruella is definitely what one remembers about the film. (6/10)

NSpan - The Shining - Probably my favorite Kubrick film, which doesn't say much. (6/10)

numbersix - Schindler's List - A truly great piece of cinema, but not one you can really watch repeatedly. (6/10)

BarcaRulz - The Godfather - Not fond of Mafia movies. (6/10)

englishozzy - The Pursuit of Happyness - As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the "happy" payoff at the end was too brief to really enjoy it. (5/10)

Still waiting on the next picks for:

silversurfer
thegreenarrow
Ron Burgundy
undeadmonkey
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

A lot of my favourite movies (and music) combines different genres so I won't even attempt to break it down, but when I put together my list I was surprised by how much horror made the cut. Maybe it's because horror is a genre that's so easy to do badly and so hard to do well. I have immense respect for a film that manages to scare me despite how much I know about how movies are made and how utterly illogical it is to be scared by a movie.

I was also surprised by the shortage of drama because I watch a lot of them, but it's the genre stuff that first got me into movies when I was a kid a so a well-crafted genre movie is like a comfort food I keep going back to. If I listed my top 250 there'd be a lot more straight drama, but those usually aren't the movies I watch over and over again.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Approximation of my list, though there could easily be more comedies and less drama and vise versa and some of the sci-fi could be action (or in at least one case, drama) and one horror, I considered listing as Sci-fi. It's really too hard to tell. The one thing you can say for certain is that a lot of the films I watch over and over are comedies (or dramadies), but I've said that before...

Comedy 51
Drama 27
Action 11
Horror 2
Sci-Fi 9
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

undeadmonkey wrote:
Banks - Saw (2004) - I don't get it, how has he not killed anyone? he is the one who puts them in the traps isn't he? and if some of the people are too dumb to get out, it's his fault isn't it?... MAYBE it doesn't count as murder, but it's got to at least be manslaughter, right? Fine, i'll admit the first one was kind of original in a horror kind of way and the twist was... interesting. but really it's a stretched out short film. and the sequels are all awful.
Well, I don't think he's killed anyone. Everyone who get put in those traps are there for a reason - they've been taking thier life for granted, in their own ways. Jigsaw tries to make them see just how precious and fragile a life is, how lucky they are to be alive and to make them realize just how much they've been throwing away. Yeah, some traps are harder than others (the two guys have to cut off one of their feet, while Amanda simply - in comparison - has to kill a stranger), but maybe those correlate to their specific crimes?

And yes, the sequels are awful (especially beyond 3), but that's why they're not on my list :D
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

numbersix wrote:MOVIE #41

Banks: Clerks II (2006) - From the clips and trailers I've seen, the only thing that's grown about Smith is his waistline. Other than that his last few films look terrible, and this trailer makes me want to run the hell away.
Yeah, the trailer is trying to sell the comedy of the film, mostly trying to reign in Smith's core audience. But I don't love it for the comedy aspect, like I said, it's the dramatic moments that get me. It's really a heartbreaker (at least for me it was) about being forced to grow up and stand on your own two feet, without that friend who's been with you your whole life to help support you.

I think if you've seen and liked Clerks, you'd like Clerks 2.

And I'd admit it quickly - he hasn't done anything worthwhile since this. Cop Out and Zach & Miri are instantly forgettable, but he's stretching out to something new with Red State and I can't wait for that.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife