Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #6): 50-41

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #6): 50-41

Post by englishozzy »

Surfer - A very good film, slightly aged a bit now though but glad this has got a bit of love of this countdown. #107 on my own list. 8/10

Chien - You described this film to a tee Chien, it may not have the glamour of a arthouse film, but it is not designed for it. Go in there and watch it for the mind-blowing action film it actually is. 10/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #43

Shrykespeare: True Believer (1989) – It looks like a TV movie and even has a perfect TV movie title! Watched some of it from the clip and I just wasn't gripped. Sorry!

silversurfer: Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988) – A very good film, that indeed may appeal to children but definitely has much darker elements. Why aren't there films like this anymore?

thegreenarrow: Mars Attacks! (1996) - I think it's far to silly, camp, and throwaway to ever think of it as a great film. Some amusing moments are there all right, but the performances are so OTT and everyone acts like they're in on the joke, that I just don't care much. Gremlins is a hell of a lot better than this, the start of Burton's decline.

transformers: The Usual Suspects (1995) – I'd say at least 3 more people will have this in their Top 50, if not more. Can't disagree, although it's far from my favourite film I do like it, and have watched it many times. RIP Pete Postlethwaite.

englishozzy: The Sixth Sense (1999) - The good performances don't excuse what a silly, predictable film this ultimately it. Vastly over-rated.

Ron Burgundy: Hot Shots Part Deux (1993) - Like The Naked Gun, this is a film I loved as a kid but fear watching it now in case it's just not as good. "I loved you in Wall Street!"

Buscemi: Some Like It Hot (1959) - It was only a matter of time until this appeared, and rightfully so. It's one of the best comedies of all time and has one of the best closing moments of every film. What's amazing is Wilder's ability to master many genres, from comedy to rom-com to courtroom drama to film noir. Just missed my Top 110. I've some Wilder coming up shortly.

Chienfantome: Die Hard (1988) – What I love about this film is the tiny bit of intelligence injected into the script. I love how Gruber isn't an idiot, how he manages to pretend he's a hostage to McClane, and also how he pretends to be a terrorist just to buy time ("I read about them in Time"). This all adds to the creation of not just one great character (the protagonist), but several which gives the film more depth than most action films. Here's a question for you all. Besides the sequels, what films do you think are most like Die Hard?

Banks: Groundhog Day (1993) - Totally agree. What makes this stand out is indeed a healty dose of cynicism added to the usual rom-com conventions. I really hope a sequel or remake doens't appear, as no one could out-do Murray's cynicism.

BarcaRulz: Thank You for Smoking (2005) – I need to rewatch this. I did enjoy it, but I don't remember a huge amount.

Geezer: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - Curious to know why it's your least favourite of the original trilogy. Obviously it's my favourite, and the only one to make it into my Top 100, but there's so many reasons why it stands out. Plus, it doesn't have Ewoks ;)

leestu: The Godfather: Part II (1974) - Funny, I can easily separate the two movies as their themes are distinct enough to make them different movies, sequels as opposed to part of an overall story. This is certainly an excellent film, though, and Cazale is brilliant.

W: Dogma (1999) - I've been told by Smith fans to watch this, but to be honest I don't like Mallrats, I gave up on Chasing Amy (liked Clerks though), and this just doesn't grab me. Maybe one day.

NSpan: The Road (2009) – Wow, this is a bit of a surprise. I did think this film got an undeserved hammering from the critics, as it's actually quite good. Excellent performances and the film rightly focused on the relationships rather than the apocalyptic action. The cellar scene was well realised. The film didn't last with me (same with the book), but it was good.

undeadmonkey: Pocahontas (1995) – For me, animation has to be really something special (The Secret of Kells) to draw my attention away from the story, as it's story that's everything. Just like effects and explosions mean nothing to me unless I'm involved in the story. Anyway, if I've seen this I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure I was too old to want to watch animated movies by the time this was released.

JohnErle: The French Connection (1971) – Yep, the car chase is good, and yep, it is gritty. But that's not enough to make me adore this film in the same way others do. Good, historically significant (it preceeded the grittiness of 70's cinema), but not something I'll love.

And catching up....

thegreenarrow: 45. Pinocchio (1940) - Been a long time, but I did like it, and a lot of the imagery stuck. Must be a good thing.
44. Misery (1990) - A very tense, well made thriller. One of the best King adaptations.

silversurfer: Evil Dead II (1987) - Great fun. Raimi made the right decision to remake the first and emphasise the funnier elements.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Six, its hard for me to criticize a film in my top 50. I think I like the others better simply because the first one so brilliantly introduces so many amazing characters and has more classic scenes to me. I didn't mind the Ewoks at all, and I loved the battle on Endor. I like the final battle and conclusion of Jedi better than any sequence of Empire. The Bespin scenes just didn't grab me so much, and the ending doesn't really have a conclusion like the other two films so I'm always felt like I'm left "hanging" (see what I did there?). SO yeah, I obviously love it, just love the other two a little bit more.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Before I comment, let me just thank Six for introducing me to the reviews of the Star Wars prequels posted by RedLetterMedia on YouTube. I have watched those reviews, numerous times, and they are some of the funniest and well-thought-out shit that I have ever read. Thank you, Six, this is awesome stuff. I have read his reviews of the SW prequels (Episode III is now up on RLM's website), as well as his reviews of the Star Trek movies that feature the TNG crew, the recent Star Trek movie, and Avatar. They are all awesome, and I would recommend them to anyone.

For Geezer, I will provide this link because it has a direct reference to Empire Strikes Back. You need not listen to the whole thing (though you should), but at least listen up to the 1:41 mark, when "Harry" makes a joke so sick and funny that you may shit yourself.

Geezer - The Empire Strikes Back - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0wv2ossJU (9/10)

transformers - The Usual Suepects - Wow! Our FOURTEENTH overlap! And this is a Top Five film for me. (10/10)

Chienfantome - Die Hard - Our second overlap. About time we had another one! (10/10)

englishozzy - The Sixth Sense - Great film. Just missed my list. (9/10)

Ron Burgundy - Hot Shots Part Deux - Now this is what a spoof is SUPPOSED to be like. Are you listening, Friedberg and Seltzer? No? Well, fuck you. Every joke is hysterical, and every character is awesome (not sure why Rowan Atkinson even needed to be there, though). (9/10)

silversurfer - Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - Great film, though I probably don't like it as much as I used to when I was a teenager still watching Warner Bros. cartoons on a daily basis. (8/10)

Mars Attacks! - Oh God. I don't want to offend anyone, but I'll just say that if we had a 100 Least Favorite Films of All Time, this one would be jockeying for the Top Ten. I have rated very few films a 1/10, but this is one of them. (1/10)

NSpan - Well, you're right, I probably wouldn't have liked The Road if I had seen it, but I didn't, so that supercedes my right to give scathing commentary. On another subject... that's Children of Men, The Terminator, and The Road back-to-back-to-back... you really do love movies about post-apocalyptic futures! Can we expect Escape From New York, any of the Mad Max films, or The Running Man on your list? (Have you seen the wonderfully campy but awesome post-apocalyptic film "She" with Sandahl Bergman?)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - True Believer
I don't think I had ever heard of that film. Ruben has made good films, and some bad ones. It could go either way.

Surfer - Who framed Roger Rabbit ?
It is a film that would have appeared in a Top 150 for me, probably. I've watched it tons of times as a kid and teen, being at the same time wonderfully entertained and seriously disturbed. I don't know which was the most disturbing, how sexy a cartoon character could be or that deliciously dark and terrifying Christopher Lloyd Judge... He was the most disturbing, yes, definitely. That sequence when he transforms himself... brrrr ! A great film.

greenarrow - Mars Attacks !
One of Burton's best. In fact his last great film, for me. The first time I saw it, I found it very odd, a little too much, and disappointing. But each time I have watched it again, the film felt better. It is smartly parodic, crazily funny, and totally gripping. I love it.

transformers - The Usual Suspects
One of the most iconic crime movies of the nineties. One whose twist does stand the test of time, contrary to Shyamalan films. Great characters, smart intrigue. I haven't seen it in a long, but it's a very good film.

Ozzy - The Sixth Sense
Well, I was just mentioning the twists that don't stand the test of time. I've loved the film when I saw it in theater. It was fresh, it was surprising, it was well crafted. The twist surprised me so much, I rushed back to see the film a few weeks later. And this is when the film started to feel less great. The holes are too important and numerous in the screenplay. Too bad, because it does make some effect on the first viewing.

Ron B - Hot Shots Part Deux
My sister and I used to enjoy the Hot Shots films when we were kids. But I have quickly lost interest in them. My memories of them are vague, and not very fond. I guess it's a watchable comedy.

Buscemi - Some like it hot
You can't do much greater than Wilder's film in terms of comedy, I think we agree on that, Buscemi. It's got such energy, it's so well written, so well performed. Almost perfect ;)

Six - Raging Bull
I remember being quite disappointed by Raging Bull. I expected way too much of it, I've watched it at a bad time and was bored. It's far from my favourite Scorsese. But I know I must rewatch it again to be sure of myself.

Banks - Groundhog Day
Fantastic pick Banks, one I have already listed. Such a well thought film, one which plays with the possibilities of time in cinema in a charming and fascinating way. Murray is at his best.

Barca - Thank You for Smoking
A film I enjoyed very much when I saw it in theater. It was versatile, funny, and featured a fantastic ensemble cast. Good.

Geezer - Empire strikes back
The greatest Star Wars film ever. Need I say more ? ;)

leestu - The Godfather II
I've only seen it once, but what a great way to have seen it, on the beautiful giant screen of the Max Linder Panorama in a beautiful copy. Amazing cinematographic experience for a remarkable film.

W - Dogma
I actually really like this one. Well I haven't seen it in a while, but I've always enjoyed watching it. It's one of the very first imported dvd I bought. Alan Rickman is fantastic in it, but when is Rickman not fantastic ? ;)

NSpan - The Road
The film isn't bad, but Roth's novel had such a huge impact on me, I knew it wouldn't be up to the book's quality. But the atmopshere is well transcripted, and Mortensen is excellent as the father. The music, as good as it is, is totally misplaced in the film though.

UDM - Pocahontas
Bof, as we say in french. Not my cup of tea. The Disney films after The Lion King failed to impress me.

JohnErle - The French Connection
It's nervous, punchy and rarely lets us breath. It's a good police/action film. Not hugely memorable for me, but it's good.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Grenarrow : I haven't seen Misery, but the book is terrific. Pinocchio isn't my favourite Disney, but it's one I have fond memories of.
Surfer : I haven't seen Evil Dead II, unfortunately...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I have at least one more bona fide "post-apocalyptic" film coming up--and maybe a couple "dystopian futures" in there, too.

I had recently looked up "Gor" (heard of it?), and "She" was suggested along with it. Not sure if it'll be my cup o' tea... but it's available on Netflix streaming, so maybe I'll give it a peek sometime. You need to check out MST3k's riffing on "Warrior of the Lost World."
Last edited by NSpan on January 7th, 2011, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Gor was also an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. However, it's not on DVD since MGM owns the film rights and won't license the film.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I've heard of Gor, but I've never seen it. I also recommend the Danish post-apocalyptic film "Endgame" (which is in English, don't worry). It's along the same vein.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Any relation to the Samuel Beckett work?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

No. And my mistake, it's not Danish. Don't know why I thought it was.

Here's the description of Endgame (from 1983, also known as "Bronx lotta finale"):

"A telepathic mutant recruits a post-World War III TV game-show warrior to lead her band of mutants to safety."

If Beckett wrote about stuff like that, then I wish I'd read his stuff in high school...

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

No, Samuel Beckett usually only wrote zombie plays

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Mars Attacks is based on a card game?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Actually, it's based on a line of trading cards. It had a spinoff line that took place in space. Burton wanted to adapt both lines but chose to adapt just the first one.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare wrote: What a group today. 13 of 15 submitted flims are repeats.
well hopefully that wont be the norm from here on out as that would take the fun out of it a bit.

MOVIE #44

Shrykespeare - The Abyss (1989) – I've seen it on tv once. I was mostly bored. I do admit thought that i hate watching movies on tv, the commercials really do ruin the momentum. It might have been cool to see it when it first came out, but when i saw it, it looked really dated.

englishozzy - Hot Fuzz (2007) - 3 people have this on their list so far, hmm. I must of really missed the point. I found it a decent film to fill two hours, but i would never watch it again. I don't particularly remember it being too funny, well actually i don't remember much of it at all.

Ron Burgundy - Howl’s Moving Castle (2004) - wow, i'm glad others appreciate this film as well. It really is magical.

Chienfantome - Children of Men (2006) – I really want to see this again. i loved it.

Banks - Inglourious Basterds (2009) - personally, i can't stand tarintino's movies. I have never been able to get through any of them. except this one. Going in, i thought it would be the same old thing, but i found myself laughing and enjoying these cartoonish characters. The movie is far from great, but it was good.

BarcaRulz - Toy Story (1995) - So many films have been made about the 'new' replacing the 'old' and about us feeling outdated. I like a few others better, but this is a good one.

Geezer - Remember the Titans (2000) - I saw this at school, well most of it, there were about 20 minutes left on the movie when class bell rang. I enjoyed it when we were watching it. Although it might have been because i would of rather been watching a move than doing school work, Because i never felt the need or want to go finish the last 20 minutes.

NSpan - The Terminator (1985) – I've only seen this once, but i loved it. Definitely one of the best in the genre. I'm pretty sure everyone on here has seen it, so it would be a bit pointless to urge everyone to go see it. I do tell everyone i know who hasn't seen it to go do so though.

JohnErle - The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) – Also have only seen this once. I didn't get much out of it. maybe i need to rewatch it.

Haven't seen

silversurfer - Evil Dead II (1987)

thegreenarrow - Misery (1990)

transformers - Die Hard (1988) - so many people have this on their list. I always excused it as a typical 80s action flick, maybe there really is more to it??

Buscemi - Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

numbersix - Sweet Smell of Success* (1957)

leestu - The Godfather* (1972)

W - Full Metal Jacket (1987) - don't worry shryke, your not the only one who doesnt have it on the list, as i haven't even seen it, and too be honest, i don't really want to see it. I might see it someday to broaden my film-watching, but i think it's pretty broad enough.

Shrykespeare wrote:Before I comment, let me just thank Six for introducing me to the reviews of the Star Wars prequels posted by RedLetterMedia on YouTube. I have watched those reviews, numerous times, and they are some of the funniest and well-thought-out shit that I have ever read. Thank you, Six, this is awesome stuff. I have read his reviews of the SW prequels (Episode III is now up on RLM's website), as well as his reviews of the Star Trek movies that feature the TNG crew, the recent Star Trek movie, and Avatar. They are all awesome, and I would recommend them to anyone.

For Geezer, I will provide this link because it has a direct reference to Empire Strikes Back. You need not listen to the whole thing (though you should), but at least listen up to the 1:41 mark, when "Harry" makes a joke so sick and funny that you may shit yourself.
I remember listening to the guy about a year ago, when his first star wars review came out, but i couldn't make it past the 15 minute mark. I hated the way he thinks he is funny with his deadpan sarcastic way of talking. It was so annoying. I was interested in what he had to say, and from what i heard, his logic is mostly sound, and i would love to read his review if i could, but i just could not listen to him a second longer. Also he talks really slow, if i could read the review, i could have it read in at least 30 minutes, instead of listening to him for an hour and a half, i have much better things to do with my free time.
Last edited by undeadmonkey on January 7th, 2011, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.