Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #5): 60-51

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #5): 60-51

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - 300
Oooooooh noooooo Shryke ! You too had your mind corrupted by the empty visuals of that loud talking but no thinking so-called cult film ? It happens to the best, you're forgiven ;)

Surfer - The Devil's Backbone
I'm surprised Del Toro's film has already been mentionned twice. It's a nice surprise I must say, as the film had made a good impression on me when I saw it (twice) in theater. It's been a while, but I remember the film and the sensations of it very well. Del Toro perfected his craft with Pan's Labyrinth though, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it appear later on on your list.

greenarrow - Labyrinth
I've never seen it, actually. Fantasy films really were hype in the 80's, weren't they ? I've seen a few, but not this one.

transformers - The Wrestler
No matter how great Sean Penn was in Milk, I totally agree with you tranny when you say Rourke was robbed off his Oscar that year. It was the acting performance of the year, and moreover to the benefit of a much better film than Gus Van Sant's, which was a bit of a letdown for me. It had the raw angles of european cinema mixed with the pathetic grandeur of american cinema (and I mean that in a very good way). Beautiful film.

Ozzy - The Prestige
When it's all said and done, Chris Nolan will probably be one of the most cited directors in those Top 100, it seems, with several films. Not from me though, but I understand the love for his cinema, he's a brilliant filmmaker. The Prestige was a very good film adapted from a novel I adore.

Ron B - Full Metal Jacket
Since it appeared earlier in my own Top, I can only agree with you Ron. A powerful war film with an edge and a totally original visual atmopshere.

Buscemi - The Wild Bunch
I was supposed to see it in a film theater last week-end in a retro, but it fell on the same day as one of my best friend's birthday, so in the end I could not attend. Damn. Because I have never seen it, yep.

Six - Alien
As I said earlier, this was so close to making my own list. So close. A genre defining horror film masterfully filmed. It's so cold, so haunting. Ridley Scott was destined to be a much greater director than he turned out to be, it's a shame.

Banks - The Truman Show
A brilliant film. This was a time when I was getting more and more obsessed with cinema, and this film, I eagerly awaited it, and it delivered what I expected and more. Peter Weir's vision with Andrew Niccol's writing, that was a perfect combination. How many films are so entertaining and clever at the same time ?

Barca - A prophet
Barca, I'm beginning to wonder if you won't end up with more french films in your top than in mine... !! And have almost only picked great french films, and this is one more. Audiard is probably the best french director working right now. Each of his films is the best french film of that year, generally, it's amazing. This was the best french film of 2009. It takes a classic background, a classic theme, and he makes an outstanding and unexpected film out of it. Rahim is a revelation (first film !!!) and Arestrup confirms he's one of the best french actors.

Geezer - Up in the air
Reitman certainly is a talented and very interesting director. This film was a further proof of that. I would say that his early buzz was exagerated, but in the end, it's a very good film, a well crafted portrait of a man looking to understand and accept the human being he is.

leestu - Spellbound
Hmmmmm... I am almost sure I have seen Spellbound... but funnily, the trailer did not evoke anything to me... so now I'm confused... and not sure at all I have really seen it.

W - Saving Silverman
Well, it's still very surprising, W, that you prefer this over Empire Strikes back. I saw this in theater, because I love Steve Zahn and see almost everything he's in, but this was pretty lame, despite the awesomeness of Zahn.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #54

Shrykespeare: 300 (2006) – you are certainly correct, Snyder does pay particular attention to ensuring he stays entirely faithful to his source material, sometimes a little too close to the detriment of the movie (sometimes artistic liberties are needed to ensure a comic translates well into another media). So while it is a little hollow, it is certainly a feast for the eyes and was another movie which had a big impact on the future of action movies. (7.5/10)

silversurfer: The Devil’s Backbone (2001) - I'll admit this isn't Del Toro's masterpiece, but those things you pointed out, six, didn't hinder my viewing pleasure at all. I felt it's setting during the Spanish Civil War fit perfectly with the story, adding a back story to the characters and their motives. The ghost is an interpretation of the horrors of fascism, the elderly Carmen and Dr. Casares symbolic of the weak republican's while the young, handsome, virile Jacinto is an embodiment of strength of fascism, and his need to get the gold a desire to free himself from the old ways. Much of the movie is told through images rather than verbally and I think it's all the more poignant for it. By the way this is the third time it's appeared now Shryke, Helena and Barca have previously picked it.

thegreenarrow: Labyrinth (1986) - I generally prefer The Dark Crystal over this, but there are some fantastic characters and hilarious scenes, not to mention very catchy songs. Everything that was great about Henson and fantasy pictures was portrayed brilliantly. (8/10)

transformers: The Wrestler (2008) - At first I would have agreed with you regarding his Oscar snub, but after seeing Milk I can totally understand why Penn won. Both were fantastic performances though, and Aronofsky showed great range with the realism of this movie. It's almost documentary style fit the concept perfectly and the performances were all very good. I love the ambiguity of the ending too. (8/10)

englishozzy: The Prestige (2006) - Excellent movie with great performances. Though I'm not really a Johannsen fan, I think she was totally underused here (much like quite a few characters in Inception - Nolan needs to rationalise how to utilise characters while maintaining the momentum of the plot). Nevertheless, a good movie which kept me guessing till the end. Further viewings have not impacted my appreciation of it either knowing the twist, so I guess that's a positivie. (7.5/10)

Ron Burgundy: Full Metal Jacket (1987) – I think by the time we reach our final films this will no longer be the most picked Kubrick movie. For me it's still an astonishing first half and a rather lacklustre second half. (6.5/10)

Buscemi: The Wild Bunch (1969) - Came very close to making my own list, a brilliant story with great characters and a truly fantastic, if bitter ending. Definitely my favourite Pekinpah movie (though I also enjoy Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia and Straw Dogs), good pick. (9/10)

numbersix: Alien (1979) - Completely concur with everything you have said, brilliant movie and Scott's best by far. One of the best horror movies, and best movies ever made. I just hope he doesn't pull a Lucas on us for the prequels... (10/10)

Chienfantome: The Untouchables (1987) – I remember watching this as a kid and loving it, and then recently had the opportunity to watch it again. I was fully expecting to have lowered my opinions on it now that I have a better understanding of movies, but it was the opposite, I was thrilled by the battle of De Niro and Costner, and the cinematography was indeed superb. Another good pick. (8/10)

Banks: The Truman Show (1997) - Delightful movie which again I had the opportunity to revist recently, Great concept and one of Carrey's best performances. (7.5/10)

BarcaRulz: A Prophet (Un Prophete) (2009) - Haven't had the opportunity to see this yet but I've heard so many good things about it I'm looking forward to the opportunity. (N/A)

Geezer: Up In The Air (2009) - I think I found myself appreciating this more the first time I watched it. Probably my least favourite Reitman movie so far, but it's still very good with great performances and a good ending. (7.5/10)

leestu: Spellbound (1945) - This is one of Hitchcock's movies which I've never really enjoyed I'm afraid, it's portrayal of psychoanalysis seems awkward as the script doesn't seem to have much knowledge of the subject (possibly because the idea was still fairly new at the time) and therefore it's dated quite badly. Peck and Bergman do their best with it, but it all just falls a little flat for me I'm afraid. Dali's visuals are certainly the highlight though. (5/10)

W: Saving Silverman (2001) - I absolutely loathe this movie. All the characters are vile and unlikeable, the script is beyond stupid. Sorry, just not for me at all. (1/10)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Don't worry W, I got your back. Saving Silverman is a fantastic movie. I watch it every time they show it on Comedy Central. Zahn and Black are perfectly cast and make the movie.

And I, too, was underwhelmed by Spellbound, Surfer. Not one of Hitch's better efforts.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Good news, everyone. NSpan will be joining us tonight. He sent me his entire Top 100, and I will post 100-54 sometime next week. He only sent me a list of movies, with no other info. Hopefully he can help me out by sending me a little bit more detail in the future.

Also, JohnErle will be joining us very soon, and also undeadmonkey, if I remember correctly.

Any retroactive lists I will post at the start of the next thread. This is going to probably rewrite the entire Fantaverse Top 100!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

That's great news Shryke !!!
I can't wait to see what NSpan has in stores for us...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Good luck with re-organising all the point scores then, Shryke!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ah, fuck it.

Here is NSpan's list from 100-54. If I have misidentified any of his choices, hopefully he'll tell me.

One thing I've noticed. It's funny that his Top 100 Songs were almost exclusively from the late 60's and early 70's, but there are very few films from that era in the bottom half of his list. There are, of course, a few WTF picks as well. Everyone has different guilty pleasures, which is the only explanation I can give for BOTH Young Guns films being there...

100. The Secret of NIMH (1982) - Don Bluth; Elizabeth Hartman, Dom DeLuise, Peter Strauss, John Carradine
99. Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) - James Foley; Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin, Ed Harris
98. A Boy and His Dog (1975) - L.Q. Jones; Don Johnson, Jason Robards, Susanne Benton
97. 13 Conversations About One Thing (2001) - Jill Sprecher; Alan Arkin, John Turturro, Matthew McConaughey, Amy Irving
96. Ghost World (2001) - Terry Zwigoff; Steve Buscemi, Scarlett Johansson, Thora Birch, Brad Renfro
95. Following (1998) - Christopher Nolan; Jeremy Theobald, Alex Haw, Lucy Russell
94. Ghost Busters (1984) - Ivan Reitman; Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Sigourney Weaver
93. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (1985) - Tim Burton; Paul Reubens, Elizabeth Daily, Mark Holton
92. Down By Law (1986) - Jim Jarmusch; Tom Waits, John Lurie, Roberto Begnini, Ellen Barkin
91. Vampire's Kiss (1988) - Robert Bierman; Nicolas Cage, Maria Conchita Alonso, Jennifer Beals
90. Jackie Brown (1997) - Quentin Tarantino; Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, Bridget Fonda, Michael Keaton
89. Sweet and Lowdown (1999) - Woody Allen; Sean Penn, Samantha Morton, Woody Allen
88. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) - John Hughes; Matthew Broderick, Alan Ruck, Mia Sara, Jeffrey Jones
87. Idiocracy (2006) - Mike Judge; Luke Wilson, Maya Rudolph, Dax Shepard, Terry Crews
86. Young Guns (1988) - Christopher Cain; Emilio Estevez, Kiefer Sutherland, Lou Diamond Phillips
85. Moon(2009) - Duncan Jones; Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey, Dominique McElligott
84. Mallrats (1995) - Kevin Smith; Shannen Doherty, Jeremy London, Jason Lee, Claire Forlani
83. Mean Streets (1973) - Martin Scorsese; Robert DeNiro, Harvey Keitel, David Proval, David Carradine
82. Stranger Than Paradise (1984) - Jim Jarmusch; John Lurie, Eszter Balint, Richard Edson
81. Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny (2006) - Liam Lynch; Jack Black, Kyle Gass, Tim Robbins, Ronnie James Dio
80. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) - Milos Forman; Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher, Danny DeVito
79. Tombstone (1993) - George P. Cosmatos; Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliott, Bill Paxton, Charlton Heston
78. Total Recall (1990) - Paul Verhoeven; Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rachel Ticotin, Sharon Stone
77. Taxi Driver (1976) - Martin Scorsese; Robert DeNiro, Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepherd, Harvey Keitel
76. Rocky (1976) - John G. Avlidsen; Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Burt Young, Carl Weathers
75. The Proposition (2005) - John Hillcoat; Ray Winstone, Guy Pearce, Emily Watson, Danny Huston
74. M*A*S*H (1970) - Robert Altman; Donald Sutherland, Elliott Gould, Robert Duvall, Sally Kellerman
73. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (2009) - Phil Lord, Chris Miller; Bill Hader, Anna Faris, James Caan, Andy Samberg, Mr. T
72. Swingers (1996) - Doug Liman; Jon Favreau, Vince Vaughn, Ron Livingston, Heather Graham
71. Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) - Woody Allen; Mia Farrow, Dianne Wiest, Michael Caine, Barbara Hershey
70. Raising Arizona (1987) - The Coen Brothers; Nicolas Cage, Holly Hunter, John Goodman, Frances McDormand
69. The Godfather Part II (1974) - Francis Ford Coppola; Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, Robert DeNiro
68. Full Metal Jacket (1987) - Stanley Kubrick; Matthew Modine, Adam Baldwin, Vincent D'Onofrio
67. The Gate (1987) - Tibor Takacs; Stephen Dorff, Christa Denton, Louis Tripp, Kelly Rowan
66. Hot Rod (2007) - Akiva Schaffer; Andy Samberg, Isla Fisher, Bill Hader, Danny McBride
65. Billy Madison (1995) - Tamra Davis; Adam Sandler, Bridgette Wilson, Norm McDonald
64. Four Rooms (1995) - R.Rodriguez, Q. Tarantino et al.; Tim Roth, Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, Madonna, Lili Taylor
63. Cool Hand Luke (1967) - Stuart Rosenberg; Paul Newman, George Kennedy, J.D. Cannon, Strother Martin
62. The Conversation (1974) - Francis Ford Coppola; Gene Hackman, John Cazale, Allen Garfield, Cindy Williams
61. Dr. Strangelove (1964) - Stanley Kubrick; Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Keenan Wynn, Slim Pickens
60. The Godfather (1972) - Francis Ford Coppola; Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall
59. Observe and Report (2009) - Jody Hill; Seth Rogen, Ray Liotta, Michael Pena, Anna Faris
58. Willow (1988) - Ron Howard; Val Kilmer, Joanne Whalley, Warwick Davis, Jean Marsh
57. Young Guns II (1990) - Geoff Murphy; Emilio Estevez, Kiefer Sutherland, Lou Diamond Phillips
56. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) - Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam; Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Michael Palin
55. Fargo (1995) - The Coen Brothers; Frances McDormand, William H. Macy, Steve Buscemi
54. Wall-E (2008) - Andrew Stanton; Ben Burtt, Jeff Garlin, John Ratzenberger

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

As briefly as I can, my opinion of NSpan's first 47:

Overlaps - The Secret of NIMH, Ghost Busters, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Wall-E

Loved - Moon, Total Recall, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Full Metal Jacket

Liked - Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Idiocracy, Young Guns, Tombstone, Rocky, The Godfather, Willow, Young Guns II, Fargo

Hated - None, though if I took the time to watch the Young Guns movies again, I'd probably demote them. They are SO dated for being Westerns.

Adding NSpan's overlaps in, 44 of my Top 100 have already appeared on other people's lists. Whew.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Geezer hands out Great Picks to the following selections:

Rocky
Full Metal Jacket
Hot Rod
Billy Madison
Observe and Report
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I have added NSpan's films into the Fantaverse Top 100, but since we are going to be joined by JohnErle and undeadmonkey and THEIR entire Top 100 probably this weekend or early next week, I'm going to refrain from figuring out the ongoing Top 10. When everyone is taking part on a daily basis, I'll reintroduce it.

MOVIE #53

Shrykespeare

Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
– Directed by Martin Brest; starring Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold and John Ashton. Murphy owned the 80’s, and this film was the biggest reason why. Mixing a terrific crime drama (along with an awesome score by Harold Faltermeyer) with a fish-out-of-water/buddy comedy, wisecracking Detroit cop Axel Foley became one of the 80’s most memorable characters. Of course, you can’t have a good comedy without good “straight men”, and Reinhold and Ashton were terrific as the goofy rookie and the aging veteran detectives. And who can forget the terrific shootout scene? “If you do that again, I’ll shoot you myself!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQGi4eB3RZI

silversurfer

The Matrix (1999)
- Director: The Wachowski Brothers; starring Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, Laurence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving. Ah, the summer of 1999, the year when I took my cinema viewing to a new level, and spent 3 months watching movie after movie with my unlimited film pass. During that time I heard of a new movie called The Matrix, from which I'd heard was filled with great special effects. What else could a 17-year-old want? Well, I got a hell of a lot more, so much so that I decided to watch it a further 3 times just in the cinemas (through granted the vacuum of good movies that summer spanned from The Mummy, Austin Powers 2, Varsity Blues, Go and Virtual Sexuality...) and I don't know how many times on DVD since. It literally blew my mind. Never had I seen something so bold and daring, with flashes of the most impressive special effects I'd ever seen, and to back that up an epic story which took influence from the greats and added in a mythology all of its own. Yes, maybe with time this mythos has worn off a little as it becomes more and more incomprehensible, not to mention Keanu's acting (which I honestly find perfect for many parts of the movie as his clueless character gradually learns of The Matrix), but that has never stopped me thoroughly enjoying a film which literally set the bar for how movies would be made in the future. Filled with imagination and creativity and dressed beautifully, even after 11 years it remains one of the most stunning pieces of cinema to grace our screens in the modern generation. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM5yepZ21pI

thegreenarrow

The Naked Gun: From the Files of The Police Squad (1988)
– Director: David Zucker; starring Leslie Nielsen, Priscilla Presley, George Kennedy, Ricardo Montalban and O.J. Simpson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi0CfTdHBbY

transformers

Billy Madison (1995)
- Director: Tamra Davis; starring Adam Sandler, Bradley Whitford, Bridgette Wilson, and Norm McDonald. Billy Madison became one of my favorite films as a kid. The jokes are a bit stupid, but they are funny as hell. It's a simple film which holds a lot of nostalgia for me. One of Adam Sandler's funniest and best films. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsNgRmsx-14

englishozzy

Atonement (2007)
- Director: Joe Wright; starring Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, Brenda Blethyn and Saoirse Ronan. Normally I'm not a fan of period dramas, let alone romantic ones at that, and as I got dragged to the cinemas to watch this, the dread was already creeping in. To my surprise not only was the film an emotional rollercoaster, but it has found itself just missing out of my Top 50 films of all time. Everything about this film is done right, from the brilliant acting from its cast, to the amazing landscape and scenes (especially THAT monumental shot which in terms of the logistics is impressive enough but to keep the emotion in that scene was truly amazing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5dqmUgu0SI

Ron Burgundy

Spirited Away (2001)
– Director: Hiyao Miyazaki; starring Rumi Hîragi, Miyu Irino and Mari Natsuki.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6az9wGfeSgM

Buscemi

Brazil (1985)
- Director: Terry Gilliam; starring Jonathan Pryce, Robert De Niro, Michael Palin, Kim Griest and Katherine Helmond. Inspired by George Orwell's 1984, Terry Gilliam manages to do the impossible by combining that film's themes with the comedy that Gilliam's career thrived on (it's amazing to think that before The Fisher King and his later films, he was strictly a comedic director) to create a fun satire that is alternately funny and sad. Pryce makes a good lead while DeNiro makes a fun against type turn as a fugitive wanted by the Big Brother-esque government. The film's production design is incredibly done and like another futuristic film I listed earlier, Blade Runner, shows proof that art direction isn't what is used to be. It's a long film at 142 minutes and it's quite dark at times, but it's a nice little thrill ride from Monty Python's resident animation expert. (Note: do not under any circumstances watch the 90 minute version except to compare. There's a good reason why Gilliam hates this cut.) (4th apperance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wh2b1eZFUM

Chienfantome

The Right Stuff (1983)
– Director: Philip Kaufman, starring Sam Shepard, Ed Harris, Scott Glenn and Dennis Quaid. I remember I have first seen The Right Stuff on TV, and loved it so much, I went to see it in theaters not long after, when it was re-released in 2000. It cemented my love for this great American adventure. It’s a 3-hour long tale of American History. By depicting the space conquest, the story of a few men that made the world look at the stars, Kaufman (adapting a book by Tom Wolfe) makes a fascinating portrait of America, of the Cold War, of human ambition. It’s also a beautiful film about dreams, the dreams that make men and women look in front of them, dreams that shape a life and dreams that break us, leave us unsatisfied and bitter. It’s a very American film, but in the best possible way. The acting is remarkable in it, especially Sam Shepard that gives a melancholic gravity to the character of Chuck Yeager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1n6qQS3_A

numbersix

Pi (1998)
- Director: Darren Aronofsky; starring Sean Gullette, Mark Margolis and Samia Shoaib. Aronofsky's debut is still his best in my opinion. Firstly, it was made on a tiny budget yet doesn't feel like a low-budget film. It's something anyone aspiring to be involved in film-making needs to understand if they want a good beginning. But really it's Aronofsky's brilliant vision, completely immersing the audience in the sense of paranoia that protagonist Max feels as he discovers the underlying key to potentially every system in existence, from stock markets to nature and possibly God. This is accompanied by Clint Mansell's frenzied score, all amounting to an incredibly tense movie about the limits of our knowledge, and whether we explore because of our duty to humanity or because of our own desires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsrg5u48wG8

Banks

The Devil’s Rejects (2005)
- Director: Rob Zombie; starring Sid Haig, Bill Moseley, and Sherri Moon Zombie. Now, I’m not certain about this, but I’m guessing this will be the only time a Rob Zombie film shows up in anybody’s Top 100? I’m not a Zombie fan (I like House of 1000 Corpses, Halloween was ok, but H2 was terrible), but his sequel to House of 1000 Corpses follows the Firefly family of serial killers – often to hilarious and violent results. I subscribe to The Devil’s Rejects strictly as a comedy, even the ending which is supposed to be heartfelt ends up being unintentionally hilarious. Between the sadistic clown patriarch of the family – Captain Spaulding – and the uber-filthy language that the characters toss around carelessly, Zombie never fails to make me continually laugh at his deranged take on the family road trip movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4XmI0eBiMQ

BarcaRulz

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
- Director: Jonathan Demme; starring Jodie Foster, Anthony Hopkins, Scott Glenn and Tedd Levine. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZrnSFoZYKQ

Geezer

The Waterboy (1998)
- Director: Frank Coraci; starring: Adam Sandler, Kathy Bates and Henry Winkler. I remember seeing this in theaters when I was 11 years old, right after we had just watched Jack Frost with Michael Keaton. Well, this is the one that stuck with me 12 years later. One of Sandler's absolute finest performances. Immensely quotable and unforgettable. Henry Winkler is absolutely hilarious, and Kathy Bates is brilliant. So many reasons to love this one, just one of the funniest films I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdpMoPVH08U

leestu

Memento (2000)
- Director Christopher Nolan; starring Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss and Joe Pantoliano. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvljC8HTgwA

W

Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)
- Director: George Armitage; starring John Cusack, Minnie Driver, Dan Aykroyd, Joan Cusack and Alan Arkin. A great dark comedy with a little action. I didn't think the trials and tribulations of a hitman could be funny, but I was wrong... Especially when he deals with a class reunion and a hitman union. (2nd apperance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4GDodf5eT0

NSpan

Dazed and Confused (2003)
– Director: Richard Linklater; starring Jason London, Wiley Wiggins and Matthew McConaughey. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_eTV4lRJYU

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #60

thegreenarrow

The Talented Mr Ripley (1999)
– another film that i know i've seen and i remember very little about.

transformers

Iron Man (2008)
- yes downey jr is funny, but to me this film has not held up with repeat viewings. I find the conflict terribly lacking in this film

englishozzy

American Gangster (2007)
- such a boring movie, i expected much better.

Chienfantome

Singin’ In the Rain (1952)
– i've been wanting to watch this film for a long time, hopefully i can get around to it soon.

numbersix

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) - maybe i need to see it again, as i didn't get as much dimension out of it as you seemed to have.

Geezer

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
- your definitely right about the epicness.

MOVIE #59

transformers

Kick-Ass (2010)
- definitely didn't floor me. that being said, i wouldnt mind seeing it again.

englishozzy

Office Space (1999)
- what you mean it's not special. i think it is. it's everyones dream to get out of the mundane and rebel against their bosses they hate. it was done very well in this film

Chienfantome

The Great Escape (1963)
– another film i've been waiting a long time to see

W

Walk the Line (2005)
- true it had great acting. the film felt a bit episodic to me, but i guess that's what you mostly get with biographies. the music was great and in some ways almost as good as the original stuff.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #58

transformers

Good Will Hunting (1997)
- i agree

numbersix

Andrei Rublev (1971)
- sounds like an intriguing film, will go on my list

W

A Knight's Tale (2001)
- i agree as well.

MOVIE #57

Shrykespeare

Charlie Wilson’s War (2007)
– wow, did not think this would be on anyones list, i found it mind-numbing and butt-numbing

silversurfer

Memento (2000)
- i just must disagree. it is gimicky and even people with short term memory loss wouldnt remember in the way we were forced to endure.

transformers

Lucky Number Slevin (2006)
- not a fan. the twist wasnt really a twist. (well i guess that's subjective). but i didn't think it was clever either. the writing was subpar and by the end it all had to be explained with dialogue.

Ron Burgundy

Mission Impossible (1996)
- still haven't seen the first one. I've seen the other two, but i just feel like they could be a lot better than the are.

Banks

Out of Sight (1998)
-I think Out of Sight is a throwback to a kind of film that really doesn’t exist anymore: the sexy, adult thriller that is also intelligent and realistic. It’s very difficult to balance sexy and smart without straying too far into sexploitation or dulling the audience to death – Out of Sight makes it look easy.

i agree

Geezer

Beauty and the Beast (1991)
- haven't seen it since kindergarten, so i can't really comment. but i've been meaning to see it again.

MOVIE #56

silversurfer

Citizen Kane (1941)
- one of these days i will actually get through the first 20 minutes and watch all of it

englishozzy

Green Street Hooligans (2005)
- ooh, i love it. very 'real' film. i could totally see it happening to someone.

MOVIE #55

Buscemi

Casablanca (1942)
- great choice there, probably your best so far

Chienfantome

The Graduate (1967)
– i dont know? people say its a timeless movie but it felt pretty aged when i saw it. I think there are better movies out there on the subject matter, although i cant think of any at the moment ;)

numbersix

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) I agree. There is much more heart in this film and so much more at stake, seemingly anyway. great fun

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #53

Shrykespeare: Beverly Hills Cop (1984) – Man, it has been years since I've seen this. I do remember thinking this is the best, and I'm sure it's still good.

silversurfer: The Matrix (1999) - You say this set the bar for films made in the future, but what films? There's been plenty of films copying the style and technique, but none of them good (Inception is probably the best but it's still not amazing). The Matrix inspired film-makers to make bloated action flicks and overuse bullet-time. At least no one else was pretentious enough to fill the dialogue with superficial references to philosophy. As for Keanu... he's a constant plank of wood throughout the entire movie. You'd think a person would be slightly wowed by realising this world is a fake, but oh well ;)

thegreenarrow: The Naked Gun: From the Files of The Police Squad (1988) – I always fear this is one of those films I loved as a teen but if I watched it again it just wouldn't be as good. So I'm never going to watch it again and just say I love it.

transformers: Billy Madison (1995) - While a lot of Sandler's films are similar, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen all of this.

englishozzy: Atonement (2007) - Over-rated. I did enjoy the earlier section at the country house, but once the film left that it kinda fell apart for me. I didn't like the long tracking shot, as it so obviously wants to draw your attention to its technicality that it actually pulls you out of the moment emotionally. And the ending felt like a cheat.

Ron Burgundy: Spirited Away (2001) – A beautiful film full of imagination. The plot is a bit sparse, but the visuals are mind-blowing.

Buscemi: Brazil (1985) - I pretty much agree with everything you've said about the film. A brilliant piece of cinema from a unique director.

Chienfantome: The Right Stuff (1983) – I tried watching this once but turned it off as it felt like a piece of chest-beating Americana. Maybe I'm wrong.

Banks: The Devil’s Rejects (2005) - I don't really like Rob Zombie, in terms of music of films, and I doubt I'd like this.

BarcaRulz: The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - Great thriller, great direction.

Geezer: The Waterboy (1998) - Wow, how many Sandler films have appeared in our Top 100's? Seen bits of this but never felt it was worth my time.

leestu: Memento (2000) - I think Pearce's character in this film is probably the best in a Nolan film, as unlike many of his others we get deep into who he is and what he feels.

W: Grosse Pointe Blank (1997) - Good movie. It's also about growing up and about how violence is part of immaturity.

NSpan: Dazed and Confused (2003) – Not a big fan of this, to be honest. It's portrayal of 1970's is just too nice, too frothy. There's no pain or angst. It's the Happy Days of cinema.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #53

silversurfer - The Matrix - Well, I'm glad you had ONE movie this thread that I've seen (and liked)! Our fourth overlap. (10/10)

BarcaRulz - Silence of the Lambs - Not surprised to see this on so many lists. Great movie. (8/10)

thegreenarrow - The Naked Gun - Great choice, but I actually thought the second one was funnier. (7/10)

leestu - Memento - As I've said before, I do not like this film at all. Not the characters, not the story, not the told-in-reverse angle. (2/10)

I haven't seen The Right Stuff since high school, and I don't remember enough of it to rate it. I'm not a big enough fan of Sandler to watch either Billy Madison or The Waterboy. And Banks, you get a pass because I haven't seen Devil's Rejects either. I have, however, seen House of 1,000 Corpses, and I can honestly say it's one of my least favorite films of all time, one of the few films I've actually given a rating of "1/10" to.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

undeadmonkey just sent me his list from 100-51. Here is his list from 100-53:

100. Stick It (2006) - Jessica Bedinger; Missy Peregrym, Jeff Bridges, Vanessa Lengies
99. The Village (2004) - M. Night Shyamalan; Joaquin Phoenix, Adrien Brody, Sigourney Weaver
98. The Kite Runner (2007) - Marc Forster; Khalid Abdalla, Ahmad Kahan Mahmoodzada, Atossa Leoni
97. Finding Nemo (2003) - Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich; Albert Brooks, Ellen DeGeneres, Alexander Gould
96. The Great Raid (2005) - John Dahl; Benjamin Bratt, Joseph Fiennes, James Franco
95. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) - Gil Junger; Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles, Joseph Gordon-Levitt
94. Dear Frankie (2004) - Shona Auerbach; Emily Mortimer, Jack McElhone, Gerard Butler
93. The Pianist (2002) - Roman Polanski; Adrien Brody, Emilia Fox, Michael Zebrowski
92. V For Vendetta (2006) - James McTeigue; Hugo Weaving, Natalie Portman, Stephen Rea, John Hurt
91. The Sixth Sense (1999) - M. Night Shyamalan; Bruce Willis, Haley Joel Osment, Toni Collette
90. Finding Neverland (2004) - Marc Forster; Johnny Depp, Kate Winslet, Julie Christie, Freddie Highmore
89. Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - Danny Boyle; Dev Patel, Frieda Pinto, Saurabh Shukla, Anil Kapoor
88. Wall-E (2008) - Andrew Stanton; Ben Burtt, Jeff Garlin, John Ratzenberger
87. Big Fish (2003) - Tim Burton Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup, Jessica Lange
86. Into the Wild (2007) - Sean Penn; Emile Hirsch, Vince Vaughn, Catherine Keener
85. Inside Man (2006) - Spike Lee; Denzel Washington, Clive Owen, Jodie Foster
84. Jaws (1975) - Steven Spielberg; Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss, Robert Shaw
83. Mary Poppins (1964) - Robert Stevenson; Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, Glynis Johns, David Tomlinson
82. Stardust (2007) - Matthew Vaughn; Charlie Cox, Claire Danes, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert DeNiro
81. 21 (2008) - Robert Luketic; Jim Sturgess, Kate Bosworth, Kevin Spacey
80. Chicago (2002) - Rob Marshall; Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere
79. Cold Mountain (2003) - Anthony Minghella; Jude Law, Nicole Kidman, Renee Zellweger
78. The Addams Family (1991) - Barry Sonnenfeld; Anjelica Huston, Raul Julia, Christopher Lloyd, Christina Ricci
77. Mulan (1998) - Tony Bancroft, Terry Cook; Ming-Na, Eddie Murphy, B.D. Wong, Miguel Ferrer
76. The Ring (2002) - Gore Verbinski; Naomi Watts, Martin Henderson, Brian Cox, Daveigh Chase
75. Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion (1997) - David Mirkin; Mira Sorvino, Lisa Kudrow, Janeane Garofalo
74. Pitch Black (2000) - David Twohy; Vin Diesel, Radha Mitchell, Cole Hauser, Keith David
73. Lifeboat (1944) - Alfred Hitchcock; Tallulah Bankhead, William Bendix, Walter Slezak
72. Sunshine (2007) - Danny Boyle; Chris Evans, Cliff Curtis, Michelle Yeoh, Cillian Murphy
71. Gattaca (1997) - Andrew Niccol ; Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Jude Law
70. Unbreakable (2000) - M. Night Shyamalan; Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, Robin Wright
69. Minority Report (2002) - Steven Spielberg; Tom Cruise, Colin Farrell, Max Von Sydow
68. There Will Be Blood (2007) - Paul Thomas Anderson; Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano, Ciaran Hinds
67. Edward Scissorhands (1990) - Tim Burton; Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder, Dianne Wiest, Kathy Baker
66. Lars and the Real Girl (2007) - Craig Gillespie; Ryan Gosling, Emily Mortimer, Paul Schneider
65. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) - Mike Newell; Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint
64. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - Frank Darabont; Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Bob Gunton, William Sadler
63. Bend it Like Beckham (2002) - Gurinder Chadha; Parminder Nagra, Keira Knightley, Jonathan Rhys Meyers
62. The Aristocats (1970) - Wolfgang Reitherman; Phil Harris, Eva Gabor, Sterling Holloway
61. The Jerk (1979) - Carl Reiner; Steve Martin, Bernadette Peters, Catlin Adams
60. (500) Days of Summer (2009) - Marc Webb; Zooey Deschanel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Chloe Moretz
59. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958) - Richard Brooks; Elizabeth Taylor, Paul Newman, Burl Ives
58. Speed (1994) - Jan de Bont; Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock, Dennis Hopper, Jeff Daniels
57. Little Children (2006) - Todd Field; Kate Winslet, Jennifer Connelly, Patrick Wilson
56. Robin Hood (1973) - Wolfgang Reitherman; Brian Bedford, Phil Harris, Andy Devine
55. 28 Days Later… (2002) - Danny Boyle; Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Brendan Gleeson
54. A River Runs Through It (1992) - Robert Redford; Brad Pitt, Tom Skerritt, Craig Sheffer, Brenda Blethyn
53. Office Space (1999) - Mike Judge; Ron Livingston, Jennifer Aniston, Diedrich Bader

The only list I need now is JohnErle's.

My take on UDM's list:

Overlaps - V For Vendetta, Wall-E, Unbreakable, The Shawshank Redemption, Speed

Loved - Finding Nemo, The Sixth Sense, Slumdog Millionaire, Inside Man, Mulan, The Ring, Pitch Black, Minority Report, Goblet of FIre, 28 Days Later

Liked - Stick It, The Village, Big Fish, Jaws, Stardust, 21, Sunshine, Gattaca, Robin Hood,

Hated - none (good for you!)