Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #5): 60-51

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #5): 60-51

Post by numbersix »

undeadmonkey wrote: Pan's Labyrinth (2006) [/b]- yes, i agree. the film works so well even though we have to read subtitles. I know some spanish, but not enough to follow along, so i've always wondered if the film would make an even bigger impact if i didn't have to read. (or on the other hand, if reading the subtitles actually enhance the experience, kinda like reading a fairy tale out of a story)
I've wondered about this too, in that is my experience of reading the subtitles diminishing my appreciation of the visuals. My solution is simply to watch a foreign film I like twice, so that you know enough of the story/dialogue to appreciate the images more. Plus, after enough films you end up being able to read fast and take in the visuals a lot more.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

The subtitle thing is an habit to catch. I've watched subtitled films since I was 12 or 13, and even if it's a language onscren I don't know, I read the subtitles faster than the light (lol), it takes only a fraction of a second. For english-speaking films, I soetimes don't read the subtitles, but that's the only language I can do that with...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Unless it's Juno.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi wrote:Unless it's Juno.
Even Juno it's no problem Well, of course it takes a couple of fractions of seconds more, but that's all ;) The only times it's difficult is at small Film Festivals with subtitles done by the crew of the festival, and sometimes it's not well synchronized, and the subtitles appear too fast you don't have time to read them.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Just submitted: here is JohnErle's list from #100-52.

100. All the President's Men (1976) - Alan J. Pakula; Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford, Hal Holbrook, Jason Robards
99. The Social Network (2010) - David Fincher; Jesse Eisenberg, Rooney Mara, Andrew Garfield
98. Dragonslayer (1981) - Matthew Robbins; Peter MacNicol, Caitlin Clarke, Ralph Richardson
97. Memento (2000) - Christopher Nolan; Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano
96. Dracula (1992) - Francis Ford Coppola; Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder, Anthony Hopkins, Keanu Reeves
95. The Incredibles (2004) - Brad Bird; Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Samuel L. Jackson, Jason Lee
94. The Apostle (1997) - Robert Duvall; Robert Duvall, Farrah Fawcett, Billy Bob Thornton
93. The Abyss (1989) - James Cameron; Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Michael Biehn
92. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (1984) - Leonard Nimoy; William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Christopher Lloyd
91. Raging Bull (1980) - Martin Scorsese; Robert DeNiro, Cathy Moriarty, Joe Pesci
90. Outland (1981) - Peter Hyams; Sean Connery, Peter Boyle, Frances Sternhagen, James Sikking
89. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) - Steven Spielberg; Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, John Rhys-Davies, Alison Doody
88. Harry Potter & Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) - Alfonso Cuaron; Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint
87. Gosford Park (2001) - Robert Altman; Maggie Smith, Ryan Phillippe, Michael Gambon
86. Gorky Park (1983) - Michael Apted; William Hurt, Lee Marvin, Brian Dennehy, Joanna Pacula
85. Goldfinger (1964) - Guy Hamilton; Sean Connery, Honor Blackman, Gert Frobe, Bernard Lee
84. Dr. Strangelove (1964) - Stanley Kubrick; Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Keenan Wynn, Slim Pickens
83. Dirty Harry (1971) - Don Siegel; Clint Eastwood, Harry Guardino, John Vernon, Andrew Robinson
82. Diamonds are Forever (1971) - Guy Hamilton; Sean Connery, Jill St. John, Charles Gray, Lana Wood
81. Dead Poets Society (1989) - Peter Weir; Robin Williams, Ethan Hawke, Robert Sean Leonard
80. Casablanca (1942) - Michael Curtiz; Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains
79. Kissing Jessica Stein (2001) - Charles Herman-Wurmfeld; Jennifer Westfeldt, Heather Juergensen, Tovah Feldshuh
78. The Man With Two Brains (1983) - Carl Reiner; Steve Martin, Kathleen Turner, David Warner, James Cromwell
77. Se7en (1995) - David Fincher; Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey
76. Mississippi Burning (1988) - Alan Parker; Gene Hackman, Willem Dafoe, Frances McDormand
75. In the Name of the Father (1993) - Jim Sheridan; Daniel Day-Lewis, Pete Postlethwaite, Alison Crosbie
74. Harry Potter & Order of the Phoenix (2007) - David Yates; Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint
73. Fatal Attraction (1987) - Adrian Lyne; Michael Douglas, Glenn Close, Anne Archer
72. Children of Men (2006) - Alfonso Cuaron; Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, Michael Caine, Chiwetel Ejiofor
71. Catch Me If You Can (2002) - Steven Spielberg; Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks, Christopher Walken
70. A Clockwork Orange (1971) - Stanley Kubrick; Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Magee, Michael Bates
69. Trainspotting (1996) - Danny Boyle; Ewan McGregor, Ewen Bremmer, Jonny Lee Miller
68. Finding Neverland (2004) - Marc Forster; Johnny Depp, Kate Winslet, Julie Christie, Freddie Highmore
67. National Lampoon's Xmas Vacation (1989) - Jeremiah S. Chechik; Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo, Juliette Lewis, Randy Quaid
66. LOTR: The Return of the King (2001) - Peter Jackson; Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Astin
65. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - Nicholas Meyer; William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Ricardo Montalban
64. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - Stanley Kubrick; Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester, Douglas Rain
63. The Hudsucker Proxy (1994) - The Coen Brothers; Tim Robbins, Paul Newman, Jennifer Jason Leigh
62. LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - Peter Jackson; Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Astin
61. The Godfather (1972) - Francis Ford Coppola; Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall
60. The Changeling (1980) - Peter Medak; George C. Scott, Trish Van Devere, Jean Marsh, Melvyn Douglas
59. Full Metal Jacket (1987) - Stanley Kubrick; Matthew Modine, Adam Baldwin, Vincent D'Onofrio
58. Chinatown (1974) - Roman Polanski; Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, John Huston
57. Munich (2005) - Steven Spielberg; Eric Bana, Daniel Craig, Ciaran Hinds, Geoffrey Rush
56. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) - Leonard Nimoy; William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Catherine Hicks
55. Election (1999) - Alexander Payne; Reese Witherspoon, Matthew Broderick
54. The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005) - Judd Apatow; Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen, Romany Malco
53. The Others (2001) - Alejandro Amenabar; Nicole Kidman, Fionnula Flanagan, Christopher Eccleston
52. Hilary and Jackie (1998) - Anand Tucker; Emily Watson, Rachel Griffiths, James Frain, David Morrissey

My take on these films:

Overlaps - LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring, LOTR: The Return of the King, Se7en, The Abyss, The Incredibles

Loved - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Goldfinger, Harry Potter & Order of the Phoenix, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Full Metal Jacket, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Liked - All the President's Men, Dragonslayer, Star Trek III: The Search For Spock, Harry Potter & Prisoner of Azkaban, Dead Poets Society, Fatal Attraction, Catch Me If You Can, A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Godfather, Munich

Hated - The Man With Two Brains, Children of Men, The Others
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Shryke obviously doesn't like running gags with cats.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Umm... don't get it.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

There's a running gag in The Man With Two Brains where a cat randomly shows up and Steve Martin yells "Get that cat out of here!"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #53

Shrykespeare: Beverly Hills Cop (1984) – Yeah, it's been a very long time since I last watched this, and I guess the sequels kind of all merged into one (as well as, weirdly enough, 48 Hours and it's sequel, which all seemed to continue in the same vein), but they were always highly enjoyable and certainly Murphy's stand out role in acting. Funny, well scripted and decent action, not much to complain about really. (7/10)

thegreenarrow: The Naked Gun: From the Files of The Police Squad (1988) – Always delightful, and kind of fitting since his recent passing, Neilson was a master of slap stick comedy which so many have been influenced by since. (8/10)

transformers: Billy Madison (1995) - Again? Sandler's films all start to merge into one after a while, tired comedy with low brow humour and to top it off he's just not a good actor. (3/10)

englishozzy: Atonement (2007) - Haven't had the opportunity to watch this yet but have been meaning to for a while now. Will get round to it soon enough. (N/A)

Ron Burgundy: Spirited Away (2001) – The first time I watched this I was totally perplexed. It was my introduction to Studio Ghibli and while wowed by the visuals (the animation of the dragon scene is stunning), I wasn't sure I knew exactly what was going on. I was so intrigued though I watched it another couple of times and fell in love with Miyazaki's style of storytelling, and have since sought out all of his movies since. So for that alone this movie deserves a lot of respect, but overall it's not one of my absolute favourites from the Japanese Disney (I rate Princess Mononoke and Howls Moving Castle higher). (8/10)

Buscemi: Brazil (1985) - I've been delighted to see this appear so many times already. Great movie. (10/10)

Chienfantome: The Right Stuff (1983) – I don't think I've ever seen this, heard the title but knew little else of it. Not sure I'm that intrigued though, but if it's ever on tv I may give it a go. (N/A)

numbersix: Pi (1998) - After watching Requiem For A Dream I quickly sought out Aronofsky's first movie, but I don't think I fully understood what really was going on. It's a very complicated movie which certainly has very ominous intentions, but it's complexities largely flew over my head and I couldn't find any real connection to the lead. Visually it's quite compelling and I guess it introduced us to one of the greatest composers of our generation in Clint Mansell, so it certainly has a few positives going for it. Will check it out again someday soon, but for the moment I think I prefer all of Aronofsky's latter movies. (6/10)

Banks: The Devil’s Rejects (2005) - A downright horrible movie in every sense of the word. The supposed comedy never works, the violence is just amped up for the sake of it at total neglect of story, the characters wafer thin and the acting is beyond woeful. There are no positives for this movie at all. Now I'm not one to shirk a movie because of it's violence and depravity, if done well it can be very good (and I have a number of horror movies on my countdown to back this up). But this was just amateurish. It was just showmanship on Zombie's part for how sick he could make a movie without any real narrative to back it up. There is ultimately just no point to the movie. I can say without doubt that unless Dirty Dancing turns up on anyone's countdown this is definitely going to be my most hated movie of the entire countdown. (0/10)

BarcaRulz: The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - I'm not at all surprised to see this again, a great thriller. (8/10)

Geezer: The Waterboy (1998) - I watched it, I realised I'd wasted another couple of hours of my life on this unfunny comedian. Never again. (2/10)

leestu: Memento (2000) - This round really is full of ups and downs. Another great pick. (10/10)

W: Grosse Pointe Blank (1997) - Highly entertaining fun and Cusack is as watchable as ever. Effortlessly cool and a brilliant soundtrack to boot. (7.5/10)

NSpan: Dazed and Confused (2003) – Not my favourite of Linklater's but certainly gives us an insight into the path he would follow in the future, but with a little more maturity. (7/10)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare wrote:Ah, fuck it.

Here is NSpan's list from 100-54. If I have misidentified any of his choices, hopefully he'll tell me.

One thing I've noticed. It's funny that his Top 100 Songs were almost exclusively from the late 60's and early 70's, but there are very few films from that era in the bottom half of his list. There are, of course, a few WTF picks as well. Everyone has different guilty pleasures, which is the only explanation I can give for BOTH Young Guns films being there...
Young Guns (I and II) are admittedly "guilty pleasures." But, that said, they are entertaining as hell--especially for my demographic (American male pushing 30). Nostalgia plays a role, certainly, but I still have a blast watching these movies. And, as my list nears the top, everybody will see that I did my best to honestly list the 100 movies I ENJOY watching the most. I've seen every movie on my list countless times. Anything I've only seen once or twice--even if I loved it--simply hasn't been absorbed enough to be ranked as a "personal favorite."
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #52

wow, a very, very strong round.

Shrykespeare: To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) – Haven't had the opportunity to see this since it was last picked, but it's certainly a movie on my radar. You really need to catch more pre-1970s stuff though. (N/A)

thegreenarrow: In The Mood For Love (2000) - I think there's going to be at least one more appearance of this movie in the top 100s... (10/10)

transformers: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Debatable whether it's the best in the series, but it's still an absolute delight from start to finish, great characters and adventure, and I never thought it possible that Ford could give Han Solo a run for his money with another brilliant icon. (9/10)

englishozzy: Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - I think what Chien mentioned recently regarding subtitles is spot on, they take a little while to get used to, but now I don't even notice I'm reading them, you are able to glance between image and word so fast that it doesn't ever factor into my viewing pleasure. In fact, I do seem to have more trouble understanding some accents of the English language films more! Anyway, the subtitles in this are neither here nor there, the visuals do at first draw you in, but the story is so compelling in it's construction of a fairy tale that they are equally balanced out. And yes, it is indeed Del Toro's greatest achievement to date. I'm very intrigued to see what he does with In The Mountains Of Madness though... (10/10)

Ron Burgundy: Platoon (1986) – Decent but not one of my most watched movies. (7.5/10)

Buscemi: The Shining (1980) - For me both Kubrick's and Nicholson's best movies, it is indeed a chillingly atmospheric horror which is so effective in driving it's audience into their own fearful nightmare. I don't remember which version I own (I'm not at home) but it's never felt either too short or too long, so whatever version I know is perfect... (10/10)

Chienfantome: The New World (2005) – I think maybe I've underestimated Malick until now, as while visually his movies have always astounded me, I don't think I've ever been drawn into his movies as much as maybe others have. I haven't watched this, but going by The Thin Red Line and the fragments of Badlands I have seen, there is a definite hint at genius in there somewhere, I just don't know if I I've been able to draw it out yet. I love it when movies you anticipate as much as you explained you had meet your expectations too, last time that happened for me was probably 28 Days Later. (N/A)

numbersix: It's A Wonderful Life (1946) - You know, I honestly didn't notice the now obvious tie in with Christmas Day my Gremlins pick had at the time, but now it feels kind of fitting that I chose this particular day and that you were equally as observant! I don't know how long it's been since I watched this, but to be honest despite it's regard, I just never really felt the love. It was obviously very well made with a fantastic central performance from Stewart, but for me it's always been just a little too overrated. I just never really get enticed into the story like I feel I should, I think I generally just watch it without really caring for its outcome. Maybe it's been too long and I'll appreciate it more now, but for the time being, just not quite one I can say I'd put on a whim. (6/10)

Banks: Being John Malkovich (1999) - LoI love this, it was very close to making my own list, a brilliantly weird concept with great performances from all the cast, most notable Diaz as you pointed out. Came totally out of the left field that performance. Cusack is as delightful as ever and it's ending is so brilliantly sinister. Great stuff. (9/10)

BarcaRulz: Bicycle Theives (1948) - There seem to be a couple of titles for the movie, still awesomely beautiful and heartbreaking nevertheless. (10/10)

Geezer: Ocean's Eleven (2001) - Catch a much better heist movie such as Rififi or Le Cercle Rouge and you'll understand the backlash. This was all style and little else. Too many stars vying for blockbuster status damaged the comraderie of it all, just not that great I'm afraid. (5/10)

leestu: The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - Way too long but otherwise an absolutely delightful movie with great performances and a story which pretty much everone has fallen in love with. Fully expect this to appear in at least one top ten. (8/10)

W: The Man From Earth (2007) - A very intriguing concept, but the performances looked way too staged despite containing some actors I'm fond of. The whole set up just didn't feel right for me. Would be interested to catch it nonetheless so will keep an eye out. (N/A)

NSpan: Night of the Living Dead (1968) – Great to see someone else appreciate the original zombie movie. While Dawn was great, this was the first and one of the very best zombie flicks ever, with a biting social commentary to boot. (10/10)

undeadmonkey: Meet Joe Black (1998) – Never watched it, I heard so many bad reviews I guess I just kind of avoided it over the years. Maybe it's not so bad afterall? (N/A)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

silversurfer19 wrote: undeadmonkey: Meet Joe Black (1998) – Never watched it, I heard so many bad reviews I guess I just kind of avoided it over the years. Maybe it's not so bad afterall? (N/A)
I just love films that are out of the ordinary. Films that show us things you could never see in real life. If you check my top 100, i'm pretty sure 8 out of 10 would fit in this criteria. This movie is an amazing journey about the man of death learning about life. I found it really intriguing and Anthony Hopkins gives another great performance.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Hope everyone had a terrific Christmas!

MOVIE #51

Shrykespeare

The Pelican Brief (1993)
– Director: Alan J. Pakula; starring Denzel Washington, Julia Roberts, John Lithgow, Robert Culp, John Heard, Sam Shepard, Tony Goldwyn, Stanley Tucci and William Atherton. A terrific story, an amazing cast, and the undeniable on-screen chemistry between Washington and Roberts was a joy to watch. Based on the John Grisham novel, Roberts plays a law student who uncovers the truth about the assassinations of two Supreme Court justices, and Washington plays the investigative journalist that she takes into her confidence. Set in the familiar Grisham locations of Louisiana, Tennessee and D.C., this was a taut, tense, exciting drama, with truly outstanding performances from top to bottom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k9bqqLUge0

silversurfer

The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)
- Director: Anthony Minghella; starring Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law, Cate Blanchett and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. We introduced this movie to a friend of ours a few years ago, and she took a keen interest from the front cover. 45 minutes in we were asked when all the slaughtering would happen. Some people just don't understand the marvel of a great suspense movie.... Taking Patricia Highsmith's novel (which in itself is a brilliant read), and adding more than a hint of Hitchcock-esque suspense, Minghella produced one of the most sumptuous thriller's I've ever seen, with fantastic performances from an ensemble cast and a gripping script which keeps you clinging to the edge of your seat for the whole ride. Damon is perfect as the intelligent, delightful, but sly and malicious Ripley, while Law is at his absolute best as his rival cad, and I dare say the film is never quite as brilliant when he departs, but nevertheless it still sparkles with intrigue, suspense and a chillingly small role from Philip Seymour Hoffman. It's also a very acute tale of how jealousy and desire for sex, money and status can drive such a vendetta to achieve the wanted results, and the effects that has on those around him. Beautifully crafted both in script, editing and visually, it's such a shame we lost as marvelous a film maker as Minghella. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CfVgcSltjc

thegreenarrow

Hot Fuzz (2007)
- Director: Edgar Wright; starring Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Jim Broadbent and Timothy Dalton. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzTLidmYM2Y

transformers

Gone Baby Gone (2007)
– Director: Ben Affleck; starring Casey Affleck, Amy Ryan, Morgan Freeman, Michelle Monaghan and Ed Harris. Gone Baby Gone is a hard film to watch, due to its disturbing subject matter. Despite that, it's an absolute masterpiece of a film. Ben Affleck shows he can direct quite well and he has a real feel for directing. The acting as a whole is top-notch, especially from Amy Ryan as the mother of the abducted child. The twist near the end of the film is shocking (this is another of the few films in recent memory that shocked me with a twist) -. Excellent film that has been overlooked by some. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f99Ep0koG84

englishozzy

Speed Racer (2008)
- Director: Wachowski Brothers; starring Emile Hirsch, Matthew Fox, Christina Ricci, John Goodman and Nicholas Elia. I know there is not much love out there for this film, but for me this is one of the greatest films of all time. The pop-arty feel to the whole movie just works for me and adds another dimension to this film that not many others have created. The chase scenes are very well done and although probably a generic storyline still has enough going for it to be this high on my list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehpxIrCNiVI

Ron Burgundy

Man on the Moon (1999)
– Director: Milos Forman; starring Jim Carrey, Danny DeVito and Gerry Becker. Though Carrey has since proven himself as a serious actor I think this was one of if not the first type of role for him here. And its still my favourite Carrey movie. The story of the life of Andy Kaufman (who I knew nothing about) is touching, funny, a little offbeat but still ballsy and inevitably sad. The bits with Jerry Lawler and Christopher Lloyd are hilarious. And the end is a very memorable one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ezPotNSNqg

Buscemi

The French Connection (1971)
- Director: William Friedkin; starring Gene Hackman, Roy Scheider, Fernando Rey, Tony Lo Bianco and Marcel Bozzuffi. Based on an case from the files of NYPD detectives Eddie Egan and Sonny Grosso (who also make cameos in the film), this crime drama is very thrilling and a well-crafted film about a heroin shipment and the guys sent to stop it. The acting is great and Hackman won a well-deserved Oscar as Detective Popeye Doyle. The screenplay (from the same writer of Shaft, believe it or not) is one of the best of the genre is keeps you on the edge of the seat. The direction by Friedkin is easily his finest work despite his attempts to surpass it (most notably, The Exorcist and To Live and Die in L.A.). And the car chase is one of the finest in cinema history which adds to the thrills. Meanwhile, the film gets flak from Kubrick fans over the fact that it beat A Clockwork Orange for Best Picture. Honestly, I think they are both great films and it doesn't really matter if one won or lost. They both have their own merits and are both excellent pieces of filmmaking. It was just a good year for Best Picture where one of the two had to lose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aal5lZOykvU

Chienfantome

Annie Hall (1977)
– Director: Woody Allen, starring Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Tony Roberts, Paul Simon and Shelley Duvall. The problem when a filmmaker directs one film per year, like Allen, is the waste. Bad films are inevitable (even for Eastwood ;) ), and there are times you could even forget what a great director he might be. Woody Allen sure made some bad movies, but he has achieved an impressive set of films. He’s made so many great films, most of them comedies about human relationships, that he can be forgiven for the bad he’s done (even Anything Else). I love his burlesque 70’s comedies, I do not get tired of them, but for me the epitome of Allen is Annie Hall. It’s his greatest film. It’s the film that made him the Woody Allen we know and love (well I do). It’s a film about love, about women, about death, about human relationships, about New York, about cinema. It’s both very serious and genuinely light. It’s about life, maybe not mine, maybe not yours, but life. That’s what I love about Annie Hall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M85gaKOtKVo

numbersix

Wild Strawberries (1957)
- Director: Ingmar Bergman; starring Victor Sjöström, Ingrid Thulin and Bibi Andersson. Made in the same year as The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries may seem to be the lesser film but it's just as powerful. This film is one of the best road movies ever made. It's a gentle film about coming to terms with your past. An aging Isak Borg drives with his daughter to receive and honorary degree, and along the way encounters a variety of people and couples that prompt him to reflect on his past, and especially on his mistakes. These poignant moments allow him a sort of catharsis that enables him to be content with his remaining life. Despite the suggesting that it's a "slow" film, it's actually brimming with life and energy, and is ultimately an uplifting film about death. It also demonstrated Bergman's move from theatre-based films to more cinematic ones, as demonstrated in the dream sequence below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3n4TxNeaPg

Banks

Back To The Future Part 2 (1989)
- Director: Robert Zemeckis; starring Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd and Leah Thompson. While I like Back to the Future, I absolutely love Part 2! I think they take everything that worked from Part 1 (which is basically everything) and catapult Marty into the future instead of the past, which I think allows everyone the freedom to let their imaginations run wild. Hoverboards, Café 80s, a holographic Jaws, and self-lacing sneakers – they added all kinds of futuristic wonders to a great story of the Almanac and the havoc it causes. It’s actually hard to separate the two films, as I think they’re two sides of the same awesome coin – and there’s no need to even bring up Part 3. (Dammit!) (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRrSp6Pqlz4

BarcaRulz

Rounders (1998)
- Director: John Dahl; starring Matt Damon, Edward Norton, John Malkovich and John Turturro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPvILCgCgzw

Geezer

Full Metal Jacket (1987)
- Director: Stanley Kubric; starring: Matthew Modine, R. Lee Ermey and Vincent D'Onofrio. Although many consider this to be half a great film that falls steeply midway through, I am one that believes it is tremendous throughout. The perfect depiction of what it is like to be stripped of yourself and turned into a killing machine, and then what it is like to be thrown into combat, watch your only friends get killed, and somehow keep going. R. Lee Ermey literally could not have been cast better as the Gunnery Sergeant Hartman. A very dark and bleak film from start to finish, but one that I'd consider truly important. Kubrick's finest. (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUc62jD-G0o

leestu

Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
- Director Mike Figgis; starring Nicolas Cage, Elisabeth Shue and Julian Sands. A beautiful but sad movie about a screenwriter determined to drink himself to death and his relationship with a prostitute. Nicholas Cage puts in probably the best performance of his career and Elisabeth Shue was also very good. Interestingly (and ironically), I just realized this tale of a man who has lost all hope comes immediately after my pick of The Shawshank Redemption, a tale of a man who refuses to give up hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8mtJUzu7sg

W

A League of Their Own (1992)
- Director: Penny Marshall; starring Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Lori Petty and Jon Lovitz. Being the second, there's already more Penny Marshall directed films on my list than I expected. It's funny, has a great story, and is about (close to) where I live. If only Dottie could stay for another season... Damn you Bill Pullman('s character). There's a lot of other great scenes, but I'm going to take the cheap way out and put up the "There's no crying in baseball!" clip.

No Crying in Baseball! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPqYnC-SW5w

NSpan

A Christmas Story (1983)
– Director: Bob Clark; starring Peter Billingsley, Darren McGavin and Melinda Dillon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMJJNdO36MA

undeadmonkey

Hero (2002)
– Director: Zhang Yimou; starring Jet Li, Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Maggie Cheung.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv3u8-Mq08Q

JohnErle

Big (1988)
– Director: Penny Marshall; starring Tom Hanks, Elizabeth Perkins, Robert Loggia and John Heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62jciQ1PbY

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Including the recent additions of the lists by NSpan, UDM and John Erle, here is the Fantaverse's collective Top 20 after 50 films.

20. 28 Days Later... (375) - thegreenarrow, BarcaRulz, undeadmonkey
19. 300 (378) - Geezer, transformers, Shrykespeare
18. Gone Baby Gone (384) - Banks, Buscemi, transformers
T16. Memento (396) - numbersix, JohnErle, silversurfer, leestu
T16. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (396) - leestu, silversurfer, thegreenarrow, undeadmonkey
15. Billy Madison (416) - JohnL, Geezer, NSpan, transformers
14. Trainspotting (424) - BarcaRulz, JohnL, JohnErle, silversurfer
13. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (436) - Buscemi, JohnL, numbersix, NSpan
12. Heat (448) - BarcaRulz, Banks, Ron Burgundy, Chienfantome
11. POTC: The Curse of the Black Pearl (452) - Shrykespeare, transformers, Geezer, englishozzy
10. Sin City (488) - Buscemi, silversurfer, Geezer, Banks
9. Jurassic Park (492) - thegreenarrow, numbersix, BarcaRulz, Geezer
8. Shaun of the Dead (500) - Banks, BarcaRulz, silversurfer, transformers
7. The Matrix (508) - W, Chienfantome, Ron Burgundy, silversurfer
6. V For Vendetta (555) - undeadmonkey, BarcaRulz, englishozzy, thegreenarrow, transformers
5. The Silence of the Lambs (564) - Geezer, Ron Burgundy, W, BarcaRulz
4. Brazil (620) - silversurfer, leestu, thegreenarrow, Buscemi
3. Office Space (830) - W, silversurfer, thegreenarrow, englishozzy, undeadmonkey
2. Reservoir Dogs (910) - Ron Burgundy, Buscemi, Geezer, silversurfer, BarcaRulz
1. Full Metal Jacket (1302) - Banks, Chienfantome, NSpan, JohnErle, Ron Burgundy, Geezer

Keep in mind also that FMJ appeared on both Buscemi's and Ozzy's list in the 101-110 range, for eight overall appearances. And I'm fairly certain it will be appearing at least one more time. Holy shit.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ahhh... good to see the Top 100 make a welcome return

MOVIE #51

Shrykespeare:The Pelican Brief (1993) – The other day I wondered what had become of Alan Pakula, who gave us some of the grestest thrillers of the 70s (Klute, The Parallax View, All the President's Men), a lot fo stuff I've never heard of in the 80's, and in the 90's this and The Devil's Own. Ugh. This isn't bad, and it's certainly the best Grisham movie, though I just don't buy Tucci as the assassin.

silversurfer: The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) - Hehe, if The Green Arrow has it, there's a 90% chance it'll appear in your list too SS! still,I love this movie for it performances and overall art design.

thegreenarrow: Hot Fuzz (2007) - Excellent comedy that gets better after every watch.

transformers: Gone Baby Gone (2007) – The twist didnt make sense at all to me (anyone heard of social services), Ed Harris's character doesn't make sense, and that clashes with Affleck's desire to appear gritty with the shots of life on Boston's streets. Very pretentious.

englishozzy: Speed Racer (2008) - Wow, you're like the only person I've ever hear say anything good about this. I should watch it just to win arguments at how the Wachowskis are awful film-makers, but I just can't do it....

Ron Burgundy: Man on the Moon (1999) – A very solid biopic with a great performance from Carrey

Buscemi: The French Connection (1971) - While there's much to appreciate about this film, there's not a lot to love. It's an interesting story with real grittiness in its direction, and Hackman is great as Doyle. But it has never blown me away.

Chienfantome: Annie Hall (1977) – Allen's most popular film may very well be his best. The shher honesty of turning to the camera to address all of your emotional pains is a brave thing to do, and it deserved every award it got.

Banks: Back To The Future Part 2 (1989) - Interesting to see some mixed reactions about this. For me, not only are some of its ideas prophetic (80's nostalgia, video phones), but it's a clever sequel which weaves perfectly into the first film's storyline. Good stuff

BarcaRulz: Rounders (1998) - I know there's a few fans of it on this board, but I found it to be rather throwaway, with Norton only realy being the elment worth remembering. The fact that Damon's character can magically know exactly what hand you have is just way too silly to go along with. And Malkovich deserved a Razzie for his performance.

Geezer: Full Metal Jacket (1987) - I do like this film very much, but I can't help but agree with those who say Part 2 doesn't live up to the first. Yes, seeing his friends (although they're hardly friends; Joker is too cynical to have an emotional connection. That's how he deals with boot camp) die in action does have an impact, but not nearly as much as the dehumanisation process of the first half. It's Kubrick's own fault for making such a great start to a movie!

leestu: Leaving Las Vegas (1995) - A great film, and one of the few examples of Nick Cage actually delivering a great performance. Shue is amazing too. It's a hard film to watch, but it is a good one.

W: A League of Their Own (1992) - This is kinda Sunday afternoon TV for me. Nice, but nothing special.

NSpan: A Christmas Story (1983) – Christmas is over, NSpan, get with the times. Sheesh. (haven't seen it).

undeadmonkey: Hero (2002) – A beautiful film, with an interesting Rashomon-style structure to it. Great art design and soem amazing fight sequences, especially the one over the water. An interesting ending about sacrificing yourself for the benefit of others. Those commies can make some great cinema ;)

JohnErle: Big (1988) – I've fond memories of this. Not sure if I'd feel the same if I rewatched it.