Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #5): 60-51

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #5): 60-51

Post by silversurfer19 »

Sorry, Banks, maybe it's just me, but I could not (bar maybe Dirty Dancing) think of a movie I would want to watch again less. The violence didn't bother me, I've seen much more violent movies than that. It was pretty much everything else. There was absolutely nothing to like about the characters, the narrative or direction. It's just a vile movie which is very poorly made. Not interesting, not funny just very, very poor. In fact, I'd rather watch Dirty Dancing....

And Geez there was more than a hint of sarcasm in my comment, but even so I was just thinking it seems every time you watch a movie which would not fit within your usual type of movie (action/adventure) but is generally very well respected, you end up really liking it (case in point Hitchcock movies, The Wrestler etc), so i was just thinking if you were willing to broaden your horizons a little to some movies which some of the guys have suggested on here which you may usually just avoid, you may be pleasantly surprised. I sound like I'm preaching to you here, but I'm not trying too. And I guess that's like you asking me to watch Major Payne, so I guess I can't ask too much of you.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Its really all a matter of time, Surfer. I don't have enough of it
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I know what you mean, I have a list of over 400 movies on my to see list, as well as many more I don't even know of yet, and I watch at least a movie a night. There just isn't enough time to watch every great movie, so I just do the best I can and hope I get some enjoyment out of them. This countdown hasn't helped either (just like with the music one), I find myself adding movie after movie and you can just never keep up.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

The Devil's Rejects was like a really long, really boring music video.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

pointless story time: about what devil's rejects means to me

In highschool, when i was still working at Movie Gallery, one of my coworkers (hmmm, i forgot his name, we'll call him doug, because i don't really like the name). Anyway he was a real weirdo, always had real bad BO, kinda dumb, couldn't work the system even though it was really easy and we showed him dozens of times, he always talked about guns and how much he hated his parents and he was going to kill them someday. Doug's favorite movie was Devil's Rejects. being an employee at movie gallery, you could rent out 3 movies for free at one time and as far as i saw, he rented the movie out every week. they were 5 day rentals. We had two copies at the store, and every single time a costumer asked for a recommendation, He would recommend Devil's Rejects.

This being a small texas town, most here are very conservative and everyone (every single one) that he recommended it to, came back a half an hour or so later complaining, asking for a refund or exchange. The worst time was when this lady came in, i knew this lady, not very well but i knew she was one of the leaders in one of the churches in town. She asked doug for a recommendation for her and her daughter, they were having movie night. I didn't butt in, it was a busy weekend night and i seriously didn't think he would have any luck persuading them to get it. He did however and i was too busy at the time to be able to stop it, because i knew she would be back. I didn't know, however, how angry she would be, ho man, she was pissed! she yelled at doug for a while and then at me, a few costumers even left. Anyway, i tried explaining to her that doug was super weird and if i had known she was renting it, i would of stopped her. So i gave her a refund for the movie and I offered her to get another movie for free, which finally calmed her down.

Doug only lasted about 3 weeks at the store, because nobody wanted to work with him because of his bad BO (seriously he must of had something against deodorant or thought it was too expensive to be worth it or something) and also he was really bad with costumers and we were kinda scared of him and all his death talk too. Funnily enough, one of the copies of Devil's Rejects dissapeared at the time Doug was fired and the other copy sat gathering dust until movie gallery closed down.

PS I will never watch it, mainly because of doug and because it looks stupid

PPS oooh, Surfer i like the new avatar
Last edited by undeadmonkey on January 14th, 2011, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Was Doug the ghost of GG Allin, by any chance?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Yeah, I can see some Juggalo wannabe loving The Devil's Rejects.

Doesn't faze my affection for it though.

That's kind of like - not liking Donnie Darko because the Arizona shooter guy liked it.

That has more to do with the individual's interpretation of the movie than the movie itself.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Or like not liking The White Album because... well, you know.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Well, thats why i added that i thought it looked stupid as well.