Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #5): 60-51

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #5): 60-51

Post by Shrykespeare »

Forty down, sixty to go.

MOVIE #60

Shrykespeare

Batman Begins (2005)
– Director: Christopher Nolan; starring Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Cillian Murphy and Katie Holmes. Thus began Nolan’s march to the top of his profession. This interpretation of the origins of the Caped Crusader proved once and for all just how a superhero film should done. Of course, I don’t think that ANYBODY expected what was to come next… (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7dapUWHykw

silversurfer

The Wages of Fear (1953)
- Director: Henri-Georges Clouzot; starring Yves Montand, Charles Vanel and Peter van Eyck. Henri-Georges Clouzot is one of my absolute favourite directors, like Hitchcock he had an ability to create suspense with the subtlest of touches. I was pained to leave the likes of Quai Des Orfevres and Le Corbeau from my list, but The Wages of Fear was never in any doubt. It's a fantastically tense affair which keeps your eyes glued to the screen throughout. The story, a parable of greed, drive and desire, as men living in Central America jump at the chance to finally gain employment by transporting two trucks full of nitroglycerine across some of the most dangerous terrain to an oil mine is fascinating. The intensity of this high octane and full speed adrenaline rush is perfectly balanced by the opening scenes which introduce the characters and the circumstances which drive them to take on such a risky proposition. The dialogue only serves to pump up this excitement and the cinematography emphasizes the impossible task laid before the men. I recently got the chance to watch this on the big screen, and it was a delight from start to finish, if only today's thrillers could match the urgency of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL1kPPT_KZU

thegreenarrow

The Talented Mr Ripley (1999)
– Director: Anthony Minghella; starring Matt Damon, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow and Cate Blanchett.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXtxR1gHZIk

transformers

Iron Man (2008)
- Director: Jon Favreau; starring Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges and Terrence Howard. What made Iron Man so special was that that it captured the origins of Tony Stark so perfectly. Robert Downey Jr. is great as Stark and he carries the whole film and adds some depth to the character. Iron Man isn't so much about the action, it's about Tony Stark as a person and his transformation into Iron Man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIFaeqwES1Y

englishozzy

American Gangster (2007)
- Director: Ridley Scott; starring Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Josh Brolin . A great crime thriller that rivals the movies from the 70's. Crowe and Washington are the stand-out performers of this film as they really delve into their characters and play off each other very well. This film kinda slipped under the radar when it was released in 2007 and I was pretty disappointed with the Box Office result, but for me it was a very riveting story and a brilliant script by Steve Zaillan. A must see if you haven't watched it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RsIjL4qCjc

Ron Burgundy

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
- Director: Terry Gilliam; starring Johnny Depp, Benicio Del Toro, Tobey Maguire and Gary Busey. Ok, so you’ve never had drugs, well this might just do the trick to show you what it might have been like. A great film, which I admit I should have read the novel by now from Hunter S. Thompson. Johnny Depp goes to Vegas with his doctor (Del Toro) and basically takes every sort of drug imaginable and you watch him have the highs and lows of an epic adventure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm7r491n-8o

Buscemi

Army of Darkness (1993)
- Director: Sam Raimi; starring Bruce Campbell, Embeth Davidtz, Marcus Gilbert, Ian Abercrombie and Ted Raimi. The final chapter (to date) of Sam Raimi's zombie franchise, Ash (along with his Oldsmobile) go through a time warp in Medieval Times through the Book of the Dead. At first thought to be one of the Dead, Ash proves his importance through his chainsaw and boomstick by defeating a Deadite in a battle to the death. Soon, Ash leads the people who captured him into battle (by doing things such as inventing gun powder and rebuilding the Olds as a badass battle weapon) against the Dead in exchange for going home (and for a guy like Ash always fighting people trying to kill him, he kind of deserves it). This could be your average horror-comedy but goes several cuts above the rest thanks to Raimi's imagination, Campbell's acting and talent for comedy and by just being an fun non-stop 81 minute thrill-ride (the director's cut is 15 minutes longer but has a different ending). It caps itself off in one of the satisfying franchise conclusions in cinematic history (the director's cut has a different and more depressing ending but Universal and Dino de Laurentiis came in and forced a change). Hail to the king.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_82kvQLkA

Chienfantome

Singin’ In the Rain (1952)
– Directors: Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly, starring Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor and Debbie Reynolds. I’m not a sucker for musicals. There are musicals I like, there are some I love, but I can’t say it’s a genre that gets me excited. Most of the time, I get annoyed by it, by the use of the musical moments in the course of the story. There are tons of musicals I really don’t like. And then, there are some exceptions. And the biggest of them is Singin’ In the Rain. That film is (alert, a totally subjective sentence is about to be expressed!) the greatest musical cinema has ever offered. Not because of its musical numbers, because plenty of bad musicals have proved it’s possible to include great musical numbers in a bad film. But because those great musical numbers (oh yes they are) serve a magical declaration of love for cinema. This is a film about films, and a film about loving films. It is set in the 20’s, when the silent era gets turned upside down by the art of talking pictures. It’s all about the love of cinema. I love Singin’ In the Rain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T0uNrUJgFI

numbersix

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
- Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, John Rhys-Davies and Alison Doody. Who would have known that the second sequel of a popular film could actually be the best? Well, Spielberg took a franchise and improved on it by adding an emotional dimension as Indy is faced to deal with his father, and indeed his own identity. This extra level of character is combined with some of the trilogy’s best action sequences (the fight with the tank, and the zeppelin scene which is in my link below) and some great comic moments to make it entertaining. Plus, the ending which prioritizes humility is actually quite honourable (though it is similar in a way to the first film). I could be wrong but I suspect a lot of the energy and focus on character came from Stoppard, who polished a script that went through dozens of drafts and many writers (including Chris Columbus, who wrote a terrible story, and Jeff Boam).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh-cVHdhTp4

Banks

Sin City (2005)
- Director: Robert Rodriguez; starring Jessica Alba, Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen and Bruce Willis. I remember seeing Sin City in theaters on a weekday night in April 2005. It was before I was really into movies, and I went on a double date with my older brother as a favor to him. I think I was supposed to keep his date’s younger sister occupied so they could do all the back-row action, but I was too enthralled with what was unfolding on-screen to barely even register that anyone else was there with me. Three great engaging, thrilling stories folded into one badass movie converted me into a film fan that night; seeing That Yellow Bastard getting his nuts blown off was just an extra treat. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKFLrTYKIXk

BarcaRulz

28 Days Later (2002)
- Director: Danny Boyle; starring Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Christopher Eccleston, and Brendan Gleeson. I love pretty much anything that Danny Boyle does. His style is up there as one of my favorites, and his ability to bring out excellent performances in people is truly great. I love this film because at heart it is a Zombie movie (yes I know they are not technically Zombies) that also explores the cultural impact on people. There are scenes that clearly show that while the 'infected' are a major threat, the 'un-infected' can be just as menacing as well, and I really liked that about this film. Also loved the soundtrack, "In the House, In a Heartbeat" is a fantastic suspense-building piece. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H-T7RPvt2k

Geezer

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
- Director: Peter Jackson; starring Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortenson, Ian McKellan, Sean Astin and Orlando Bloom. The epic conclusion to the Lord of the Rings is my favorite of the series. The final battle sequence could be the single greatest battle ever caught on film. That alone places it on my list, but the story obviously goes far beyond that. A film that truly deserved all of its accolades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcDYWGR2mmY

leestu

Silverado (1985)
– Director Lawrence Kasdan; starring Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Kevin Costner, Danny Glover, Brian Dennehy, Jeff Goldblum, Rosanna Arquette and John Cleese. I usually don’t like westerns much but I loved this 1985 reworking of a typical western. John Cleese does a great supporting turn in an atypical role for him as the Sheriff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DQEJA4tyLg

W

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
- Director: Jonathan Demme; starring Jodie Foster, Anthony Hopkins and Ted Levine. There is no doubt that Anthony Hopkins gives one of the best performances of all time in this one. Considering he's in this two hour film a total of sixteen minutes, has anyone "stole the show" more than this? Probably not. And Lecter's not even the only great eerie performance. There's also Ted Levine as Buffalo Bill. The rest of the films is as great of a twisty-turny "find the victim before it's too late" mystery as it gets. (3rd appearance)

"I ate his liver...": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4qblq0uahw&NR=1
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #5): 60-51

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #60

Shrykespeare: Batman Begins (2005) – Well, there's plenty of things about it that bug me (the convoluted plot which clashes with the "serious" tone and villain, and the shameful underuse of Cillian Murphy), but I came out of the film feeling glad that Nolan had wrestled back Batman from the awful campness of Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. Plus, it's good to see Gary Oldman working again.

silversurfer: The Wages of Fear (1953) - Sounds great. Need to see this!

thegreenarrow: The Talented Mr Ripley (1999) – Well, this is appropriate considering we were only talking about the "original" adaptation of it. I think Damon is superb, Law and Paltrow are good as spoilt silver-spooners, and the portrayal of the jazz scene is riviting.

transformers: Iron Man (2008) - I definitely enjoyed it. The last battle was a bit of a let down (and I expected a great one in the sequel, only to be let down even more!), but the film just flowed well, and Downey Jnr was in his element. Not even close to my Top 250 though.

englishozzy: American Gangster (2007) - This went under the radar because it simply wasn't good enough. Scott made a predictable and routine crime movie that fails to get inside the head of either character. I actually thoguht the dialogue was plain and uninteresting, the direction uninspired, and the ending was a complete washout. Average in every way.

Ron Burgundy: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) - I've seen it, but don't remember much. Also read the book. I think it's just one of those films were you sit back and enjoy the psychotropic imagery.

Buscemi: Army of Darkness (1993) - I've seen Evil Dead 1 and 2, but not this. I won't be rushing to check it out, though I woudl like to see it.

Chienfantome: Singin’ In the Rain (1952) – I haven't seen it, but I have an apprehension towards all musicals from the Golden Era. as visually impressive as they may be, the musical just drives me nuts, and I can't get over it. Plus, as much as I love cinema I'm not really interested in films about cinema, as they offer me little that I can't experience myself by watching a great film!

Banks: Sin City (2005) - Wow, this is really making plenty of appearances. You'll hear no complaints for me, I was very impressed by it.

BarcaRulz: 28 Days Later (2002) - Very well described, Baraca, and the reasons why I love this film. Plus it was filmed on the same model of camera I used during college, marking the start of the digital revolution.

Geezer: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) - Very good film, I have to admit. I love the sequence that cuts Denethor devouring a meal, Pippin singing a mournful song, and Faramir rushing to a battle he can't win. It's a brilliant piece of editing. I know it's a cliche at htis stage, but I did think the multiple fade-to-black fake-endings were a little annoying, and the ending in general could have been shorter. I will that I think it's better than the book, particularly what happens to the ring and Gollum, and also the tension between Sam and Frodo.

leestu: Silverado (1985) – Never heard of it. Sounds intriguing.

W: The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - I think Hopkins is a little hammy in it, to be honest. The rest of the cast are better, and it's a great thriller.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Batman Begins
A very interesting reboot for a franchise that could have been considered dead after what Schumacher had turned it into. You can feel Nolan isn't totally comfortable with the action sequences, but he breathes life back into Batman, paving the way for The Dark Knight.

Surfer - Le salaire de la peur (The Wages of Fear)
You can't believe how close this film was from my Top. I was an inch away from including it, but it the end, it did not make the cut, so I am more than happy to see you select it, Surfer. Fantastic choice of yours. It's a hell of a film, that works at the same time as a powerful drama and an intense action film. Clouzot is an amazing director, you are right. Did you know Friedkin remade this film ? I've never seen it, I love Clouzot's film too much, although Friedkin's remake has a nice reputation.

Greenarrow - The talented Mr Ripley
Well well, shortly after I chose Plein Soleil, here comes another adaptation of the same novel^^ Although I highly consider the french version of it, I can only approve your choice Greenarrow, as Ripley is indeed a wonderful film. It's very much different from Plein Soleil in the atmosphere, but in a good way. Like Six points out, it's got a nice jazzy feeling, and it manages to be colourful. I had not been to see it in theaters because I only saw it back then as an unnecessary remake of a masterpiece, I realized I was wrong when I saw it later on TV. It really is a good film.

transformers - Iron Man
It's definitely one of the most fun action film Hollywood has produced those past few years. I wasn't familiar with Iron Man at all as a comic book, so I can't judge that. It's still only for me a fun action film with a weak climax confrontation, nothing Top material. Too bad the sequel was such a bad film.

Ozzy - American Gangster
Like I said in earlier comments, Ridley Scott for me has directed three great film : Duellists, Alien and Blade Runner. The rest is good at best, like this film, which is not bad, but unremarkable, like so many films Ridley made in the past few years. It's got a great cast for sure (Brolin is really good in it), and I like Washington doing his "My maaaaan" all along, but in the end, I forgot this film as quickly as I saw it.

Ron B - Fear and loathing in Las Vegas
I've seen this film in theater back in the summer of '98 with my father and my aunt, and I will always remember they got out before the end of the film, exhausted by Gilliam's delirium, telling me "We'll be see you outside". And I remember I could not blame them, because even if I stayed (I always stay), I really didn't like it particularly. I remember the fiml being an utter mess, but it was such a long time ago now.

Buscemi - Army of Darkness
I've only seen the first Evil Dead. This one looks fun, I'll see it one of these days ;)

Six - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
You are oh so right, this is the very best film of the Indiana Jones saga. It manages to be as full and intense as Lost Ark, and puts another level of quality upon it with the addition of Jones' father. Thanks to it, it's even more fun, and iconic, with so many great sequences. A monument of adventure.

Banks - Sin City
And the love for Sin City goes on. Rodriguez' best for sure, and a beautiful hommage to the noir genre.

Barca - 28 Days Later
One of Boyle's best, yes, very innovative, and certainly intense film. I still prefer the sequel, but good film.

Geezer - The Return of the King
An exhilarating last part of a cinematographic masterpiece. GREAT.

leestu - Silverado
Wowwwww. Cool. Really cool, leestu. You know, Silverado was one of my favourite films when I was a kid, or a teen maybe. I've watched this film a good number of times back then, on video. I genuinely loved it. I loved its cool tone, and most of all I loved its great characters. They really make the film. The friendship between the rightful men Kevin Kline and Scott Glenn. The intensity of Glover. The craziness of Costner's horse rider. The kindness of Linda Hunt. The treachery of Goldblum. They're all great. I haven't seen it in a while, but this little western will always have a place in my heart.

W - The Silence of the lambs
Very good pick, W, congratulations. A pure classic of cat and mouse investigation film, with a amazing direction from Demme, a solid script and a wonderful duet to watch between Hopkins and Foster.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote: Chienfantome: Singin’ In the Rain (1952) – I haven't seen it, but I have an apprehension towards all musicals from the Golden Era. as visually impressive as they may be, the musical just drives me nuts, and I can't get over it. Plus, as much as I love cinema I'm not really interested in films about cinema, as they offer me little that I can't experience myself by watching a great film!
I understand your apprehension, Six, I'm generally as apprehensive when it comes to old musicals. They really get on my nerves because they rarely manage to perfectly fit the musical numbers in the screenplay, and too often use the gimmick of the dream sequence. But Singin' in the rain nails the use of musical sequences. They fit greatly and do not slow down the screenplay. As for the "film about cinema" uninterest, I get it, but there are several great films on the subject (Truffaut's Day for Night for example), and Singin' in the rain is one of them.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SNEAK PREVIEW: Tonight's gonna have a lot of repeats. One film will be appearing for the fourth time. Four films will be appearing for the third time. One will be appearing for the second time. And one film will be appearing for the second AND third time.

Movie #60

Lots of good stuff this round!

Geezer - LOTR: Return of the King - I won't say anything but that this will be in my Top Ten. Best epic film ever. Our eighth overlap - you are tied for the lead now! (10/10)

transformers - Iron Man - Very very good movie. Just barely missed my list. (9/10)

Banks - Sin City - Wow, this film just keeps showing up, doesn't it! (8/10)

W - Silence of the Lambs - Given the magnetism and memorability of Hannibal Lecter, it's no wonder this has appeared this many times. (8/10)

numbersix - IJ and the Last Crusade - This was a terrific way to end the franchise. Or at least it was, until Lucas fuckin' ruined it all... (8/10)

BarcaRulz - 28 Days Later... - Again, a terrific choice. (8/10)

englishozzy - American Gangster - I found this also to be a very stirring drama. You neglected to mention that Josh Brolin was terrific as the smarmy, slimy corrupt cop. (8/10)

leestu - Silverado - I'm not a fan of Westerns either, but this was playful enough and had enough famous faces in it to make it enjoyable to me. Not sure why Jeff Goldblum's character was even in it though. (6/10)

I have gone through all the posted movies with a fine tooth comb and applied my point system to them. As of tomorrow (#58), we will have 50 movies so far with a score of 100 or more (not including, ironically, Aladdin, which has appeared three times).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow, no one's had anything to say today?

Well, whatever. Like I said, a LOT of repeats today.

MOVIE #59

Shrykespeare

Enemy Mine (1985)
– Director: Wolfgang Petersen; starring Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett Jr. When two members of warring races, one human and one reptilian, crash-land post-battle on a nearly-lifeless planet, they must somehow put aside their mutual hatred in order to survive. The friendship that follows is a truly remarkable thing to watch. It’s sci-fi, yes, but it’s also an astounding character piece, a testament to the human (or, even, universal) need for companionship, no matter the circumstances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xa1QNn7wOQ

silversurfer

Trainspotting (1996)
- Director: Danny Boyle; starring Ewen McGregor, Kelly McDonald and Robert Carlyle. I remember first hearing about this way back in the mid-90s and being perplexed as to who would make a movie about trainspotting. Obviously this wasn't the actual theme of the movie, but it served to peak my interest, and then having seen the trailer with McGregor rushing down the street to the pumping sounds of Lust For Life, it was a must see. I knew of Danny Boyle from Shallow Grave, a terrifically funny black comedy also starring McGregor. However, this was a completely different animal, a movie which would stun me with every breathtaking scene chronicling the life of a group of youths in Scotland and their addictions. It's disturbing, hilarious, surreal and frightening, but all the time completely addictive in itself! Danny Boyle has an affinity for translating the difficult lives of those in the slums to the big screen (as he most recently proved once again with Slumdog Millionaire) and the way he translated Irvine Welsh's colourful characters was brilliant, he realized their identities and their lives into something entirely real. Along with some quite sublime and surreal cinematography, brilliant acting and a soundtrack which would delight, this was absolutely one of my favourite movies during my teens. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2GKVtWsXKY

thegreenarrow

Girl, Interrupted (1999)
– Director: James Mangold; starring Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4-GD1VqdOA

transformers

Kick-Ass (2010)
- Director: Matthew Vaughn; starring Aaron Johnson, Nicolas Cage, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Chloe Moretz. Kick-Ass made an instant impact on me. It absolutely floored me as a film. The action is bad-ass and it's also quite funny. In my eyes, an instant classic that will most likely rise higher on the list in the years to come. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shSTn47QPHI

englishozzy

Office Space (1999)
- Director: Mike Judge; starring Ron Livingston, Jennifer Aniston, David Herman and Ajay Naidu. A cult classic that only really generated fandom on DVD, I can't help but laugh every time I see this film. It depicts your average cubicle workers finally rebelling against corporate bosses for the treatment they receive. There is nothing special about this film, from the guy who brought you Beavis and Butt-head, but for some light entertainment you can’t get much better than this. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5AVUrUoROo

Ron Burgundy

Saw (2004)
- Director: James Wan; starring: Cary Elwes, Danny Glover, Leigh Whannell, Monica Potter and Tobin Bell. After spawning so many sequels the Saw movies have never been able to top this one. A new way of doing horror with the shock value still there, this is one of my favorite horrors of recent history. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFQebvkii90

Buscemi

Manhunter (1986)
- Director: Michael Mann; starring William Petersen, Brian Cox, Joan Allen, Tom Noonan and Kim Greist. Before there was The Silence of the Lambs and Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Hannibal Lecter, there was Manhunter and Brian Cox's portrayal of Hannibal Lecktor. However, this film isn't about Lecktor. It is about Will Graham (Petersen) and his pursuit of Francis Dollarhyde (Noonan) across Atlanta and eventually in the climax, St. Louis (in the book Red Dragon, the villain came from Springfield, in which I live in a suburb of). Though Michael Mann had made two films before Manhunter (the underrated Thief and the neglected but still worth watching despite being cut by two hours The Keep), Manhunter was where he really hit his stride. The film is stylish (as expected from Mann in this era, if you've ever seen Thief, the original Miami Vice or the Mann-produced Band of the Hand) but it also has the additional edge of having substance unlike many of the other MTV-inspired crime films of the era. Also, the performances work extremely well. Petersen and Noonan are perfect in their roles while Cox, Allen (in her first major film role) and Dennis Farina (who had only began acting five years earlier when he was hired as a technical consultant on Thief) also do well in early roles (especially Cox as the original Lecter). Despite being a flop when first released (having the misfortune to open against The Fly and be from an upstart company) and being overshadowed by the 2002 remake Red Dragon, this is still a fine prequel to The Silence of the Lambs and possibly Michael Mann's crowning achievement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czVMfUd5dFI

Chienfantome

The Great Escape (1963)
– Director: John Sturges, starring Steve McQueen, James Garner, Richard Attenborough, James Coburn, Charles Bronson and Donald Pleasance. My #60 was a musical, while I said I wasn’t a sucker for musicals. Well, my #59 is a WWII adventure, and I’m a sucker for those. That war will have provided a background for tons of films, and those adventures about brave men defying enemies and death have given birth to some great cinematographic moments, and The Great Escape is one of them. This is the kind of film I can’t get tired of watching every time I stumble upon it on TV. It does not compete in the thought-provoking or groundbreaking type of cinema, but it’s such an engaging story, such an amazing set of characters and actors, it’s such an iconic adventure full of memorable cinematographic images... I purely love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbJasZz-Ng

numbersix

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
- Director: Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones; starring Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Michael Palin and Terry Jones. In ways, this is a rather silly film. It’s episodic, there’s no coherent story or theme, but the Monty Python crew use this to create a series of sketches that on a surface level are funny, but they challenge conventions in a way seldom seen. That’s the brilliance of these guys, their humour works on at least two levels. They inject plenty of political references but you don’t need to know them to enjoy the film. And of course there’s the ending, which is shocking, frustrating, but ultimately subversive and highly amusing, in a sort of defiant way. (3rd appearance)

Here’s the witch scene, a satire on hysteria:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU

Banks

Bad Boys (1995)
- Director: Michael Bay; starring Will Smith, Martin Lawrence and Tea Leoni. Two of the funniest comedians of the 1990s together in a fantastic action movie that, like all Bay films, is slick, covered in sweat, filled with shafts of sunlight, and very, very explosive. I can quote this movie for days, but like most people, I could’ve done without the bloated sequel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcKFK5qqQqA

BarcaRulz

Cinema Paradiso (1988)
- Director: Giuseppe Tornatore; starring Philippe Noiret, Enzo Cannavale and Antonnella Attili. Very few films are able to make you FEEL as much as this one in my opinion. A story that is both a coming of age one, while at the same time is able to explore 'love' in a much more general yet intimate sense. The build up to the montage scene especially is fantastic, and it is hard not to view that and not feel all the emotions that flood onto the screen. Great acting, great directing, and superb cinematography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WQLdZ7d9Lc

Geezer

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
- Director: Gore Verbinski; starring Johnny Depp, Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom. What a breath of fresh air this was! Who knew a Disney movie about pirates could be so damn entertaining? When this came out, I remember that everyone liked it. Like, I mean everyone that I talked to. My mom even liked it for crying out loud. It's just an extremely fun movie, with great characters, cast brilliantly. I could watch this one over and over and over again and never get sick of it. Simply great. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z1XpfbuZOA

leestu

Saw (2004)
– Director James Wan; starring Cary Elwes, Leigh Whannell, Danny Glover, Tobin Bell and Shawnee Smith. The franchise might have become tired but this first installment was a fresh and original, well written horror story. Interesting trivia: In the late 90s I used to regularly watch a weekly music show that was pretty cool called Recovery and the resident movie critic was Leigh Whannell, who went on to co-write, and star, in this. Even back then he had an obvious soft spot for horror. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFQebvkii90

W

Walk the Line (2005)
- Director: James Mangold; starring Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon and Ginnifer Goodwin. This is a film that I was really looking forward to and wasn't disappointed. In some ways, especially Reese Witherspoon's Oscar winning performance, it actually exceeded them. The whole thing was very well acted and the musical imitations were pretty much spot on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsvZGwd8vrI

Because of Saw’s double appearance today, here is the Fantaverse Collective Top 10 so far:

10. Reservoir Dogs
9. The Silence of the Lambs
8. District 9
7. LOTR: The Two Towers
6. Saw
5. V For Vendetta
4. Heat
3. Office Space
2. Sin City
1. Jurassic Park

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

That is a very nice Top 10 to have so far. Pretty respectable.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Enemy Mine
I have seen this one on dvd a few years ago during my Dennis Quaid momentum. It was a correct sci-fi film, but I honestly don't remember much of the film...

Surfer - Trainspotting
Wow, this is one very popular film. Like I said, I have only seen it once, when I rented it on video upon its home release all those years ago. I wasn't old enough to see it in theater back then, but I had seen Shallow Grave in theater. Anyway, It was so long ago, I barely remember Trainspotting. I should really rewatch it...

greenarrow - Girl interrupted
Well, Mrs. SS is a fan too. I'm still not ;)

Kick Ass
This surely was one of the best US films of the year, fun, punchy and surprisingly dark. It's too early for me to really know what I will keep of it, but it's a good film, yes.

Ozzy - Office Space
The popularity of this coedy is quite surprising, although I won't deny it's a bit deserved. It sometimes lacks rhythm, but it's so full of great characters and quotable lines !

Ron B & Leestu - Saw
Definitely not a film I would design as one of the essential horror films of the past few years, but it was watchable enough. But there has been much, much better in terms of horror and suspense recently.

Buscemi - Manhunter
I've never seen Manhunter I think ! I've only seen the poor remake. I'm sure this is much, much better. I'll try and catch it some time.

Six - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
I am a huge fan of the Monty Python, and Holy Grail is my favourite film of them. It's probably because the French are so ridiculous in it :lol:
I love the witch sequence you put up. This is one of my favourite comedies ever.

Banks - Bad Boys
You know what ? I have seen the sequel, but I have never seen Bad Boys ? And the sequel was so, so, sooooooo awfully unwatchable I have no intention of ever seeing the original. Ever. ;)

Barca - Cinema Paradiso
In France, this is an ultimate classic film. Everyone's seen and love Cinema Paradiso. But strangely, I have never seen it. It's weird, I wonder how come I've never seen it. But I fully intend to change that !

Geezer - Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl
I totally disagree with you on the fact this film was a breath of fresh air ;) This film was so tired and conventional that I almost fell asleep in front of it, in the theater. I had a hard time staying awake, it was too boring. Seriously. The same year, Master and Commander was released and THAT was a breath of fresh air in terms of aquatic adventure ;)

W - Walk the line
It was okay I guess. I'm generally not a big fan of biopics, and moreso of musical biopics, but this was watchable.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #59

Shrykespeare: Enemy Mine (1985) – I've seen parts of it, but not all. I thought it was an Outer Limits episode for a long time.

silversurfer: Trainspotting (1996) - Pick of the day goes to you, SS. Great movie, and the scene where Renton goes cold turkey is brilliantly disturbing.

thegreenarrow: Girl, Interrupted (1999) – As with Chien, I think it's not a very good movie with some over-rated performances.

transformers: Kick-Ass (2010) - After a second viewing the problems of the film are even more obvious. Yet despite them it's an incredibly entertaining film, and one of the best of the year without doubt. The scene where Hit-Girl tries to rescue Big Daddy is excellent.

englishozzy: Office Space (1999) - Wow, 4 times? I do like this film, though I should really rewatch it after merely enjoy it the first time.

Ron Burgundy & leetsu: Saw (2004) - Sorry gents, I just don't see it. There's nothing that strikes me as original or different about this. It's just another seriel killer movie that involves a game and a hugely ridiculous twist ending that's unpredictable because it's so bloody nonsensical.

Buscemi: Manhunter (1986) - Over-rated. While I often criticise Mann for his lack of directorial imagination, it's almost like he used up all of it for this film, making it a pretentious mess. The scene with the film can is so ridiculous, with its overbearing score and misplaced prominence, is a fine example of someone who just doesn't seem to know what he's doing. The slo-mo final sequences played to that Iron Butterfly song is another. Silence of the Lambs is a thousand times more superior than this.

Chienfantome: The Great Escape (1963) – Oh dear, this seems to be a round of disappointing films for me. This is my least favourite war movie, because I think it's tonally a mess. It tries to maintain this upbeat fun approach, but as the film reaches the end and things get more serious it feels like a clash rather than a complimenting point. A light-hearted war movie just doesn't work for me at all. Give me Stalag 17 over this any day.

Banks: Bad Boys (1995) - Liked it as a kid, have no memory of it (not a good sign), and no desire to watch it as I find Bay to be a maker of largely vacuous films.

BarcaRulz: Cinema Paradiso (1988) - Argh, another classic I find to be over-rated! It's not a bad film but by the end I found it to be more emotioanlly manipulative than moving. Its just too forecful at tugging the heart strings, and I mistrust films that do this.

Geezer: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - Remove Depp's character and no one would like this movie, I guarantee you that. He's an amusing element in what actually kinda bored me. The action was okay, but I just couldn't give a crap about Knightly or Bloom, so ultimately the outcome meant zero.

W: Walk the Line (2005) - It was okay. The leads were excellent and the scene where he first plays folsom Prison Blues is spine-tingling, but it's essentially the same as those TV-movie biopics. It's rare to get a biopic that has a definite theme beyond telling the story of someone famous, and this doesn't quite make it.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I need to make a correction to my description, when I said everyone liked Pirates, I meant all the non-snobs liked it, as Chien and Six have illustrated.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer wrote:I need to make a correction to my description, when I said everyone liked Pirates, I meant all the non-snobs liked it, as Chien and Six have illustrated.
Correction duly noted, Geezer ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Everyone remind me... when are we breaking for Christmas? Seems like a few people are on vaca already...

MOVIE #58

Shrykespeare

Men in Black (1997)
– Director: Barry Sonnenfeld; starring Tommy Lee Jones, Will Smith and Rip Torn. Has there ever been a better admixture of sci-fi, action and comedy than this? I can’t think of one. Messrs. Smith and Jones are a truly dynamic duo, playing off each other’s particular brand of humor – one overly extroverted, the other wry and sardonic – to full benefit. Not entirely sure why a third film is in the works eight years after the last chapter fell wayyyyy short, but we’ll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ8HFSx3bvY

silversurfer

The Innocents (1961)
- Director: Jack Clayton; starring Deborah Kerr, Peter Wyngarde and Michael Redgrave. You'll see a few times on this countdown that I'm a fan of ghost stories, and this is up there with the very best. This was another movie which Helena introduced me to, and this adaptation of The Turn Of The Screw is a fascinatingly haunting movie with a stunning central performance from Deborah Kerr. The story revolves around a nanny who must fight for the lives of two children from her predecessor and her lover, and aided by some chilling cinematography and gripping performances, the movie, as the title of the novel would suggest, tightens the screw of tension throughout as the mystery unravels until a breathtaking finale. Unfortunately the story has been most recently adapted into the decidedly average The Others, but this is on a whole different level in terms of story telling and chills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4pPLGD-MvA

thegreenarrow

Kill Bill Vol. 1 (2003)
- Director: Quentin Tarantino; starring Uma Thurman, Lucy Liu and David Carradine. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjuS17DGlA

transformers

Good Will Hunting (1997)
- Director: Gus Van Sant; starring Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Robin Williams and Minnie Driver. Good Will Hunting, the movie that launched Matt Damon and Ben Affleck to stardom, has always been of one of my favorites. The story of Will Hunting is captivating and it stays with you afterwards. Every scene with Damon and Williams are electric. This movie deserves all of its acclaim, it's a truly brilliant film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02M3NRtkAA

englishozzy

The Big Lebowski (1998)
- Director: The Coen Brothers; starring Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore and Steve Buscemi. The greatest Coen Brothers film on their illustrious CV, also has one of the greatest movie characters of all time -- The Dude. Jeff Bridges is having the time of his life playing 70's hippy fallout mixed up in some wife napping business by being mistaken for a millionaire of the same name. The Coen Brothers are on top form as always with a mixture of their dry wit and brilliant storytelling. The support cast is top notch with an honorable mention to John Goodman who puts in a career best performance as a psychotic Vietnam war vet. Shame on anyone who haven't seen this movie yet. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_GCRFRcWxA

Ron Burgundy

Apocalypse Now (1979)
- Director: Brian De Palma; starring Martin Sheen, Robert Duvall, Marlon Brando, Harrison Ford and Dennis Hopper.

Buscemi

Once Upon A Time In America (1984)
- Director: Sergio Leone; Starring Robert De Niro, James Woods, Treat Williams, Joe Pesci and Elizabeth McGovern. Sergio Leone's final film (before his retirement and eventual passing in 1989) was this four-hour epic about members of the Jewish Mafia in New York. And from seeing the film, it was one hell of a way to go out. Starring my favorite actor, Robert De Niro, along with James Woods, the story focuses around the two of them, their partners, their lovers and their enemies over a 40 plus year span told in a non-linear structure (this is the only way to watch it, a heavily cut version was released theatrically with a linear structure and bombed). Despite its long run time, it is definitely worth your time and you won't even care that it is that long. It's that good. And it also helps that the film features lots of technical detail and one of Ennio Morricone's best scores to supplement the acting and story. If you have ever wanted to see a film about the Jewish mafia, this is the definitive film. (Postscript: this was also Jennifer Connelly's first film. I bet you were expecting a mention of that fact.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzhX2PD6Srw

Chienfantome

Infernal Affairs (2002)
– Directors: Andrew Lau and Alan Mak; starring Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Andy Lau, Anthony Wong, Eric Tsang and Kelly Chen. There may be some occurrences of Scorsese’s The Departed in other Tops, but in mine, you’ll only find Infernal Affairs, the film Scorsese remade. When it comes to HK cinema, you can’t do much better than this cat and mouse chase between an infiltrated cop and an infiltrated gangster. What makes this film absolutely riveting, beyond an incredible suspense and a fantastic acting performance by Tony Leung, is the direction and cinematography. I don’t think I have ever seen a better use and filming of Hong Kong’s particular geography. Those tall building of glass, this view on the bay. The characters spend a lot of times hiding on those roofs, meeting on those roofs. Their reflections are everywhere, they can’t escape their duality in these beautiful blue lights photographed by Christopher Doyle. It is gripping, it is haunting, it is bitter. It is a great film. I can’t find a decent trailer on YouTube, it’s either of crappy quality for the Chinese one, or just a bad trailer for the American one, so I am putting the music video for the song of the film, which is sung by the two main actors (actors can do anything in HK !)... it’s basically a trailer with music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nTL-nMx128

numbersix

Andrei Rublev (1971)
- Director: Andrei Tarkovsky; starring Anatoly Solonitsyn, Ivan Lapikov, Nikolai Burlyayev. Tarkovsky is certainly not a maker of films for everybody. But what I love about him is that he tells his story through visuals. The dialogue could almost be removed and the film's themes would remain intact. But the greatest thing about this particular film is that it was powerful enough to change my perception of the world in way. This story charting the years of a 15th century Russian religious painter is a film not about a particular religion (for in ways it criticizes them) but about the beauty of faith. Being an atheist this theme should appall me, but Tarkovsky shows that inspiration can come from even the most despicable, and life without faith (which was how Russia was at the time of making this film) can be drab and empty. Faith in its many forms is a theme central to Tarkovsky's career, but it is most evident in this masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbguowlkZ4g

Banks

Thank You For Smoking (2005)
- Director: Jason Reitman; starring Aaron Eckhart, Katie Holmes and Maria Bello. It takes a giant set of cojones to make a movie about a spokesperson for the tobacco industry, and it takes a great script, an outstanding performance, and a talented director to make us like, and root for, said spokesperson. Thank You For Smoking introduced me to Jason Reitman, Aaron Eckhart, and even David Koechner – all of which have yet to disappoint me. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBELC_vxqhI

BarcaRulz

The Usual Suspects (1995)
- Director: Bryan Singer; starring Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Stephen Baldwin, Benecio Del Toro, Kevin Pollak and Chazz Palminteri. A fantastic ensemble cast that pretty much act out a modern day Rashomon-style whodunit. The script itself is great, the acting is superb, and the way the film builds suspense and reveals a final twist regarded by many as one of the best ever, is excellent filmmaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VPuXWtDx9g

Geezer

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
- Director: George Roy Hill; starring Paul Newman, Robert Redford and Katharine Ross. I'm not a huge fan of the Western genre, but this is by far my favorite. Newman and Redford have such great chemistry that it puts the film over the top for me. Tremendously witty and funny, to go along with being a terrific adventure/chase movie. Butch and Sundance are just characters that you will not be able to forget after seeing this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X41Ylp02NRs

leestu

Brazil (1985)
– Director: Terry Gilliam; starring Jonathan Pryce, Robert DeNiro, Katherine Helmond, Bob Hoskins and Michael Palin. Here’s a great scene featuring De Niro’s great role as Harry Tuttle, Jonathan Pryce’s great acting, and the stupidity of bureaucracy. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eosrujtjJHA

W

A Knight's Tale (2001)
- Director: Brian Helgeland; starring Heath Ledger, Mark Addy and Paul Bettany. Anyone that judges this film's historical accuracy and realism just doesn't get it. Heck, it had Queen's "We Will Rock You" in the trailer. It's a really good popcorn movie that's the first starring vehicle for a future Oscar winner. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJfwq_RHB6M

The Big Lebowski, on its third appearance, moves into the Top 10 at #9.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Wow, if last round had disappointing picks, this round is the opposite, with almost every film a good, if not great one.

MOVIE #58

Shrykespeare: Men in Black (1997) – Possibly Smith's best film. Just the right blend of action, sci-fi and comedy to make it a fun blockbuster and quite re-watchable. Love the NY in-jokes too

silversurfer: The Innocents (1961) - Never heard of this, and I really hated The Others. But so did you, so this might be worth checking out.

thegreenarrow: Kill Bill Vol. 1 (2003) - A brilliant first half of an overall excellent movie, and one that made Tarantino an exciting director again.

transformers: Good Will Hunting (1997) - This was on TV a few weeks ago and I tuned in as it had been 13 years since I last watched it. You're right, the scenes between Damon and Williams are great. The story's a little predictable in its routine, but it feels somewhat genuine anyway. And any film that brough the music of Elliott Smith to the masses is good enough for me.

englishozzy: The Big Lebowski (1998) - This should be in everyone's Top 100. A smart and hilarious film is hard to come by, and this excels.

Ron Burgundy: Mission Impossible (1996) - I'm not a fan of De Palma, I think all he does is take bits from other directors and stitch them together. But this is one of his best, a surprisingly intricate thriller with some great set-pieces.

Buscemi: Once Upon A Time In America (1984) - I don't think the theatrical cut is around any more, thankfully. But this is indeed a beautiful and passionate film, and without doubt its James Woods greatest performance.

Chienfantome: Infernal Affairs (2002) – Didn't know Chris Doyle was DOP on this, but that makes sense. An excellent film that is better than The Departed because it's more morally complex, and Leung is a fine actor.

Banks: Thank You For Smoking (2005) - I don't remember much about this but I did like it. It was a clever film.

BarcaRulz: The Usual Suspects (1995) - I wonder how many Top 10's will this make? At least one. I wouldn't agree with the Rashomon comparison, as they both have different points to make, but as thrillers go this is great stuff. I should also point out that I think the action scenes are superbly directed.

Geezer: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) - Not my favourite Western by far, but it's definitely a fun and exciting buddy movie. There's great chemistry between Newman and Redford, and some of the dialogue is excellent.

leestu: Brazil (1985) – My favourite Gilliam movie. Brilliant stuff. I always thought the ide of tiny computers with giant magnifying glasses was a hilarious idea.

W: A Knight's Tale (2001) - Haven't seen it. My tutor in Old English said that at the time crowds would indeed chant and sing the medieval equivalent of a Queen anthem so in that sense the film is more accurate than you'd think!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

numbersix wrote:Wow, if last round had disappointing picks, this round is the opposite, with almost every film a good, if not great one.

MOVIE #58

W: A Knight's Tale (2001) - Haven't seen it. My tutor in Old English said that at the time crowds would indeed chant and sing the medieval equivalent of a Queen anthem so in that sense the film is more accurate than you'd think!
Now I like it even more!
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Catching up...

Movie #59

numbersix - Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Funniest movie ever. Coming up much later. Our fifth overlap. (10/10)

Ron Burgundy/leestu - Saw - Glad I'm not the only one to have this on my list. Ron, our third overlap, leestu, our sixth. (10/10)

Geezer - POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl - You take the lead! Our NINTH overlap! (9/10)

transformers - Kick-Ass - Great choice. (9/10)

Buscemi - Manhunter - I liked both this and Red Dragon, but for different reasons I think. This was more about the crime than about about Graham and Lec(k)tor, unlike the Norton/Hopkins version. (7/10)

Chienfantome - The Great Escape - Great movie. McQueen's best. And one of the most unforgettable film scores of all time. (7/10)

W - Walk the Line - Wasn't a huge fan of Cash, but I really appreciated Phoenix's portrayal. (7/10)

Banks - Bad Boys - I marginally liked this, but not enough to really watch it again. (6/10)

Movie #68

BarcaRulz - The Usual Suspects - best crime drama ever. Top 5 material. Our eighth overlap. (10/10)

thegreenarrow - Kill Bill Vol. 1 - totally kick-ass movie. Probably going to be in my Top 20. Our third overlap. (10/10)

Ron Burgundy - Apocalypse Now - Great war film. (7/10)

I remember a few bits of BC&SK, but not enough to rate it.