Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #4): 70-61

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #4): 70-61

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #70

Shrykespeare: A Fish Called Wanda (1988) – How many movies does Jamie Lee Curtis play the sexy role? Still haven't gotten round to watching this again since last time it was picked, but it is an enjoyable movie from what i remember. (7/10)

thegreenarrow: Black Narcissus (1947) – I apologise for helena not submitting any comments again, she just doesn't seem to ever get around to doing them. I must urge you to watch this though, Chien, as while I personally don't find it as great as either Peeping Tom or The Red Shoes (other movies involving Powell and Pressburger), it is still a fascinating watch which battles with the concept of desire, and with cinematography which obviously inspired Hitchcock. (8.5/10)

transformers: Dawn of The Dead (2004) - I actually watched it again the other day for only the second time, and while it is certainly an effective zombie flick, it seemed to lose so much about what I loved from the original, namely the character development. Still decent enough. (6/10)

englishozzy: Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - We watched this too recently, beautifully shot but still can't stand the ending and would rather it just stayed with the kids, as they were by far the most entertaining segments of the movie. (7.5/10)

Chienfantome and Ron Burgundy: Heat - I guess six is the only guy who doesn't appreciate this movie on here. I thoroughly enjoy it. (9/10)

Buscemi: Reservoir Dogs (1992) - Still one of the greatest movies of the 90s, and Tarantino's best for me, will certainly be on my list before too long. (10/10)

numbersix: Jurassic Park (1993) - Obviously I love it, as it just missed my top 100, a truly thrilling ride from start to finish. (10/10)

Banks: The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005) - Still a hugely enjoyable comedy and certainly the best of the Apatow clan movies. (8/10)

BarcaRulz: Frost/Nixon (2008) - I can't say I know much about the politics of Nixon's reign but as a pure piece of cinema it was a thrilling ride executed with the precision of a ballet, the two characters battling it out against each other and playing off of each other to the delight of the viewer. Both Langella and Sheen were perfect in their roles, and Howard allowed them to play it all out. (8/10)

Geezer: 300 (2006) - In terms of visuals and action it is top notch, almost to the point of reinventing action movies in the same way The Matrix did, and for that it certainly deserves the acclaim it won. Not the deepest of movies, but then I guess it isn't trying to be and instead was a very good translation of the comic. (8/10)

leestu: Shane (1953) – Don't think I've ever seen it. (N/A)

W: Zoolander (2001) - One of Stiller's best roles, and the supports are great too. A very funny movie which parodies the fashion world perfectly. And if it wasn't for this movie I'd never have perfected my 'Blue Steel' look... (7/10)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote:
W: Zoolander (2001) - One of Stiller's best roles, and the supports are great too. A very funny movie which parodies the fashion world perfectly. And if it wasn't for this movie I'd never have perfected my 'Blue Steel' look... (7/10)
Well, I'm going to need a photo for proof of that...
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Oooh. I don't know. such an image captured on film forever may stop the Earth turning.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #69

Shrykespeare: The Arrival (1996) – Doesn't particularly sound familiar, but it does sound interesting. Will check it out if I get the chance. (N/A)

silversurfer & Buscemi: Blade Runner (1982) - Can't concur with six regarding the Director's Cut, I found it to add little to the original and was created largely without Scott's authority. The Final Cut is the one Scott always intended, and the Workprint also has merits. Avoid the original Theatrical version though if you can, it's so inferior. I too have the 5 disc tin box set, complete with holograms etc, its a true delight for fans of the movie, Scott really ensured that everything went into creating a truly definitive edition. (10/10)

thegreenarrow: The Lady Vanishes (1938) – I didn't know much about this before we saw it, but we knew it was Hitch so it was worth viewing. What we got was one of the greatest suspense movies I'd ever watched. Not up with the absolute cream but the witty script and comic timing of the actors in this is outstanding and really elevates it up beyond just a typical whodunnit. (8/10)

transformers: The Lion King (1994) - Great movie, not one of my favourites from Disney but hard to argue with the animation and story, as well as having in Scar one of the greatest villains of modern times. Now if I could just eliminate that Morning Report song from the special edition, along with the romantic rolling around of the older Simba and Narla.... (7.5/10)

englishozzy: Shane (1953) - Wow, twice in two days, maybe this is a western to match the likes of Giant... (N/A)

Ron Burgundy: The Matrix (1999) - Still a stellar movie no matter how many times six tries to deny it. Top notch in every department. And Ron, I was 17 when I first watched it, and it still took me a couple more viewings to come even close to understanding what was going on!(10/10)

Chienfantome: Full Metal Jacket (1987) – You are correct, it is most certainly an essential war film, well in saying that the first half is. I still can't shake off the second half which just feels a little pedestrian, but for the first half alone it deserves it's status among the very best war movies. (6.5/10)

numbersix: The Manchurian Candidate (1962) - I've know of this for years and how it is supposed to be brilliant, but I've just never gotten round to watching it. For that reason I've avoided the remake too, I don't want to tarnish my impression of it before I've seen the original. (N/A)

Banks: Heathers (1989) - I haven't seen it in such a long time (maybe 15 years), but it's got Winona Ryder at her absolute best, along with a witty script too. On nostalgia alone I love it, but I really need to pick it up one day. (7.5/10)

BarcaRulz: The Lives of Others (2006) - Absolutely brilliant movie with great acting and smart direction. It's a slow paced movie, but works perfectly in the way. I have it on dvd and I've only watched it once, really need to watch it again. (8/10)

Geezer: Major Payne (1995) - Ditto six, "Still haven't seen it, still not interested". (N/A)

leestu: Rocky (1976) – Definitely one of the very few sports movies I can actually watch, Stallone in the role he was born for and well directed to deliver that emotional punch (heh!). (7.5/10)

W: John Q (2002) - Don't think I ever watched it, but Denzel's movies recently all seem to look the same to me, so I have little interest I'm afraid. (N/A)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19 wrote:Chienfantome and Ron Burgundy: Heat - I guess six is the only guy who doesn't appreciate this movie on here. I thoroughly enjoy it. (9/10)
He's not the only one. I was so looking forward to seeing this movie that I watched it as soon as it came out on DVD but I found it a bit ho-hum. Maybe it's my fault and not the movie's for expecting too much (with De Niro and Pacino it has to be good, right?). It's possible I'll give it another watch one day but probably not.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #67

Shrykespeare

Diggstown (1992)
– Directed by Michael Ritchie; starring James Woods, Louis Gossett Jr., Oliver Platt and Bruce Dern. It’s The Sting meets Rocky. James Woods plays a con man who tries to set up a boxing scam in a small southern town, and he ends up going head-to-head against an evil landowner played with oily sleaziness by Dern. The continuous double-crosses are fun to watch, and Heather Graham has never looked more lusciously attractive as she does here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr007U4Pekk

silversurfer

Oldboy (2003)
- Director: Chan Wook-Park; starring Min-Sik Choi, Ji-tae Yu and Hye-jeong Kang. I've actually been quite surprised to see this appear on a couple of lists already, although maybe I shouldn't be as it is without doubt one of the most complex and engrossing movies I've seen over the last decade. Chan Wook-Park has claimed that the best movies are ones that revolve around the notion of revenge, and all of his movies, from Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance, this and his short, Cut, have maintained an element of this theme. But never has it been so well played out than in Oldboy. We all know the main concept of the movie by now, where a man who has been imprisoned for 15 years is suddenly released and begins a mission to take vengeance on his mysterious captor. The plot twists and turns like all the greatest noirs, the cinematography is spellbinding, the score perfect, and Min-Sik Choi the epitome of vengeance with a touch of humour. The film tackles the essence of human existence beautifully, capturing all the elements which make this a heartbreaking tragedy with one of the most shocking endings since Se7en. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRBwvIX7Sao

thegreenarrow

Office Space (1999)
– Director: Mike Judge; starring Ron Livingston, Jennifer Aniston and Diedrich Bader. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND7tU8JME_g

transformers

Friday Night Lights (2004)
- Director: Peter Berg; starring Billy Bob Thornton, Derek Luke and Lucas Black. Yes another sports film! Friday Night Lights is my favorite football film of all time. I really liked how it explored every angle of the team and really developed its characters fully. It's not a run of the mill exercise in inspirational sports film making, the team is great, but they are highly flawed characters that cave under the huge expectations of their coach and their town. Really special film that even non-sports fan will love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzyp4qOW0F0

englishozzy

No Country for Old Men (2007)
- Director: The Coen Brothers; starring Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Tommy Lee Jones and Woody Harrelson. A year where the Oscar's actually got it right! This brooding tense crime thriller from the Coen Brothers is pure genius. A slow burning drama that rears its ugly head at you before you can even have chance to react. It took me a while to realize but there is hardly a score during this film, with The Coens relying on the elements of the harsh desert as sound effects, black comedy running deep through its veins I cannot put much wrong with this film. Some career-best performances from Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin makes this a film that would be in most Top 100 lists for years to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhXJcfczNIc

Ron Burgundy

Monty Python and the Life of Brian (1979)
– Director: Terry Jones; starring John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam. Monty Python has some of the funniest bits and pieces of comedy, and the movie has stacks of it. Classic scenes like Bignose, the stoning, the People’s Front of Judea, Biggus Dickus, the silent guy, and haggle make it one of my favourite movies ever. Some people don’t get Python’s type of humour, but it’s just my type.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGb4STRfKw

Buscemi

Dead/Alive (1992)
- Director: Peter Jackson; starring Timothy Balme, Diana Penalver, Elizabeth Moody, Ian Watkin, Stuart Devenie. "I kick ass for the Lord!" This line basically sums up the awesomeness of easily Peter Jackson's best film (yes, better than Lord of the Rings). With a low budget and a cast of unknowns (along with buckets of fake blood), Jackson manages to create a bizarre and graphic but hilarious zombie comedy that doesn't give a shit about limits (this was originally rated NC-17 in the US but was released unrated). Its over-the-topness is part of what makes it so damn fun. It's also probably the only film you will ever see with zombie rat monkeys, martial arts-knowing priests, zombie babies, killer lawnmowers and a zombie sex scene. I wish Jackson would stop with the big budget tentpoles for once in a while and return to making movies like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep1kTREdaqU

Chienfantome

Two Lovers (2008)
– Director: James Gray; starring Joaquin Phoenix, Vinessa Shaw, Gwyneth Paltrow and Elias Koteas. My previous film selected was from Jacques Audiard, who think is becoming more and more one of the best directors of his generation, well, today, here’s a film from an American director who I consider more or less the same, James Gray. Little Odessa (which I strongly considered for my Top 100), The Yards and We Own the Night established him as a major filmmaker when it comes to noir modern dramas. And suddenly, this director who usually takes his time between two films wrote and directed a new one in the year following We Own the Night. And what was even more surprising was that it was a romantic drama, not a crime drama. And what was even more surprising was that Two Lovers was (is) his best film yet. A heartbreaking examination of unrequited love, of self abandon, of renouncement. I won’t lie, this is pure depressing cinema. If you do not like films without any light of hope, this is not a film for you. With a steady camera, a magnificent grey environment, and an astonishing actor, Gray creates a magnificent tragedy with Greek accents and a rhythm close to his crime roots. It’s a little story turning into a great act of cinema.

I’m putting you the French trailer, which I find better than the US one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNcf0oN0Iu8

numbersix

Die Hard (1988)
- Director: John McTiernan; starring Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman and Reginald VelJohnson. What makes this action film stand the test of time is that it has just a dash of realism for us to really get involved and understand the threats to John McClane’s life. Having him run around in his bare feet was a brilliant idea, as his vulnerability is what added to us buying him as a human being. The grittiness of the visuals also helps, as demonstrated in the abundance of lens flares from the police sirens. Hans is also more than the traditional bad guy: deceptive, duplicitous, and deeply cunning. It’s rare to see bad guys who pretend to be political terrorists, or trick the hero into thinking he’s an innocent hostage. It’s touches like these that make the film a classic for me, and it’s the blatant lack of these touches that makes Die Hard 4 such an awful sequel. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPb9-OK9r9I

Banks

Gone Baby Gone (2007)
- Director: Ben Affleck; starring Casey Affleck, Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris. Gone Baby Gone is as tense and enchanting as they come; great performances from everyone involved, especially Casey Affleck, and a wonderful directorial debut from Mr. Gigli himself. Plus it’s got an ending that’ll inspire debates for years to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f99Ep0koG84

BarcaRulz

In Bruges (2008)
- Director: Martin McDonough; starring: Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Ralph Fiennes. A fantastic movie with a great story and superb performances that are really enhanced by a great script. Loved every second of what can only be described as an action/drama/thriller/comedy combo. The scenery and the soundtrack also help immensely as well. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoE9edjEDCI

Geezer

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (2002)
- Director: Steve Oedekerk; starring: Steve Oedekerk, Fei Lung and Leo Lee. I put on Kung Pow when I want to shut my brain off and laugh my ass off. Its completely stupid, but I absolutely love it. The jokes just strike a chord with my funny bone. I love the bad dubbing, the splicing with old kung fu movies, the absurd plots, and of course, the Evil Betty. Just damn funny stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrAYdSeWY8

leestu

Pan’s Labyrinth (2006)
– Director Guillermo del Toro; starring Ivana Baquero, Ariadne Gil and Sergi Lopez. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYiSlkvRuw

W

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- Director: Irwin Kershner; starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher. It's like A New Hope, but much bigger... and with Yoda and Billy Dee Williams. Oh, there's also probably the biggest spoiler in film history. Then there's the scene where Han challenges Billy Dee Williams for the title of "Coolest Dude in the Galaxy" (link). (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-KR-14uXM

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Just to let you know, Shryke, Dead/Alive has now appeared twice. Helena picked it a little while ago but in NZ it's called Braindead.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Thanks for letting me know, surfer. I thought those primary actors sounded familiar.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #68

Shrykespeare: Chicken Run (2000) – When this was being released I was so excited to see what the Aardman guys could do with a feature film after loving the three Wallace And Gromit shorts, but was left bitterly dissapointed. Not that it's an awful movie, it just isn't that great. The only things I remember liking were the bad guys, Gibson as the lead was very grating and The Great Escape references wore a little thin. Thank god they returned to Wallace And Gromit after this, Were-Rabbit was much better. (4.5/10)

thegreenarrow: Alien (1979) – Quite possibly the best horror movie ever made, at least in my eyes. Will be hearing more on this much, much later. (10/10)

transformers: Saving Private Ryan (1998) - As others have said, the first 30 minutes are phenomenol, but all that does is serve how underwhelming the rest of the movie is. Having said that's it's been quite a few years since I last saw it, so maybe I'll think differently. (6/10)

englishozzy: Ocean’s Eleven (2001) - Didn't like this too much, all star power and not much else. Would much rather watch Rififi or Le Cercle Rouge again, much, much better hesit movies. (5/10)

Ron Burgundy: Scarface (1983) - I'm with six, Pacino is certainly more cartoon in this than anything else. It's way too long and a little over the top, but it's still brutally effective. However having watched Dog Day Afternoon last night, I wished Pacino had stayed in that era, he was awesome in that role. (6/10)

Buscemi: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) - If it wasn't for Eddie Furlong this would probably be in my top 100. His acting just puts me off it so much. Otherwise, it was an act of genius to bring Arnie back as the good guy, and Robert Patrick is completely different but equally effective as the new terminator. The special effects were another step up in this, the liquid metal transformations looked great, while you are totally right regarding Cameron's abilities with female heroines - Hamilton is kick ass. It's clever, inspiring, brutal and provocative, all the while being a totally heart pounding blockbuster. Great pick. (9/10)

Chienfantome: Un héros très discret (A Self-Made Hero) (1996) – I haven't seen A Prophet yet, but I was a little underwhelmed by The Beat My Heart Skipped, it just kind of passed by without me really caring for it. There were sparks of something special there, with a great central performance from Duris, but the movie moves along too slow and is a little incohesive, so it just didn't quite click for me. Nevertheless I'll give this a go if I see it. (N/A)

numbersix: Lost Highway (1997) - Haven't seen it, and I've mentioned before that Lynch movies for the most part are very hit and miss with me. If this is more like Mulholland Drive though it may appeal to me, and I have always heard good things about it. (N/A)

Banks: True Lies (1994) - Very enjoyable movie with great central performances from the leads who look like they had just as much fun making it as we did watching it. (8/10)

BarcaRulz: The Sixth Sense (1999) - Unfortunately I knew the twist (in my best Robot Chicken voice: "what a twist!") before seeing this and it certainly affected my appreciation of the movie. It was decent enough I guess, but my favourite Shamamalaladingdong movie is definitely Unbreakable. (6/10)

Geezer: The Prestige (2006) - Really enjoyed this, and one of the few times I've really been convinced by Jackman. Both leads are the real strong point of the movie, while it is capably directed by Nolan. Nowhere near my favourite of his though. (7/10)

leestu: Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) – To be honest this isn't something which I've ever really enjoyed, just never appealed to me and so I've never actually been able to sit all the way through it. I'd much rather watch some Hughes instead. (4/10)

W: Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) - Picked this up as part of a discount dvd deal and was pleasantly surprised by it, mostly because Jason Segal is a truly likeable actor and a delight to watch throughout. He was great in I Love You Man too. And the Dracula musical is my favourite part of the movie too, it's hilarious and touching at the same time, all with a great score! Funny and charming despite the gross out humour, which is what all Apatow movies should be aiming for, even if 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up are the only ones which had achieved before this. (7.5/10)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #67

Shrykespeare: Diggstown (1992) – Never even heard of it. Will check out the trailer.

silversurfer: Oldboy (2003) - Very promising to see this in a few Top 100's, as it pretty much introduced me to Korean cinema, and while I haven't seen nearly as many as Chien, it seems to be a very creative nation in terms of cinema, and this is still the best film I've seen from there.

thegreenarrow: Office Space (1999) – A good comedy, but it doesn't demand multiple viewings.

transformers: Friday Night Lights (2004) - I like the soundtrack, but I never managed to watch all of it.

englishozzy: No Country for Old Men (2007) - I'm sure this film has as many haters as fans, but to me its one of the Coens' best films. Far more than just a crime thriller, because it turns its genre on its head, deliberately breaking with narrative norms in order to solidify its theme of violence and its unpredictable omnipotence in human society.

Ron Burgundy: Monty Python and the Life of Brian (1979) – Absolutely hilarious, and also deeply philosophical. There'd be no Simpsons if it wasn't for these guys.

Buscemi: Dead/Alive (1992) - It's called Brain Dead over here. I do enjoy it immensely, but it's just someone having fun with cinema, and it's not as good as LoTR.

Chienfantome: Two Lovers (2008) – Wow, if you judged him by the critics, James Gray comes across as a very minor director of very average films. I remember this coming out a while ago but reviews were so poor that I skipped it.

Banks: Gone Baby Gone (2007) - A vastly over-rated film (just like The Town). For all its attempts at moral ambiguity it's actually a very silly film. The entire plot makes no sense and its deliberately convoluted in order to generate introgue, but I don't buy any of it. Affleck just tries to convince us it's digestible by inserting faux-gritty scenes of Boston's poorer side. Also I found Affleck's directing to be irritating, not only for its pathetic attempts to be gritty, but also that ridiculous assault on the house in which Affleck inserts red frames to indicate "ACTION". And Michelle Monaghan's character is terribly written.

BarcaRulz: In Bruges (2008) - Very entertaining, just not sure if it's a classic.

Geezer: Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (2002) - Terms like "shut my brain off" and "completely stupid" just don't draw me to it!

leestu: Pan’s Labyrinth (2006) – Love it, almost made my Top 100.

W: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - It's very different from A New Hope, it's much darker and the director relies on actors a lot more. It's my favourite Star Wars film.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19 wrote: silversurfer & Buscemi: Blade Runner (1982) - Can't concur with six regarding the Director's Cut, I found it to add little to the original and was created largely without Scott's authority. The Final Cut is the one Scott always intended, and the Workprint also has merits.
Are we crossing wires here? The Director'sCcut is vastly different to the original. It removes all of the voice-over, removes the ending to make it more ambiguous, and adds references to Deckard's dreams to suggest that he himself is a replicant. It totally changes the movie, and is a million times better than the original I haven't seen Scott's lates cut, but from what I hear it's just some tweaking of the Director's Cut.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #68

With T2, this now makes 36 overlaps with my own list.

Buscemi - Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Top notch action film, and a damn good story too. One of Arnie's best. Our sixth overlap. (10/10)

englishozzy - Ocean's Eleven - Just adore this film. Our seventh overlap (you're in the lead!) (10/10)

BarcaRulz - The Sixth Sense - Terrific performance by Osment. My second-favorite M. Night film. My favorite is coming up much later. (9/10)

Banks - True Lies - One of the last really good films Arnie did. Loved it. (8/10)

transformers - Saving Private Ryan - I'm not a big fan of war morives, but the sheer realism impressed me greatly. Not something I can watch many times, but a stirring drama. (8/10)

thegreenarrow - Alien - One of the scariest goddamn movies ever made. I prefer the (first) sequel, though. (7/10)

W - Forgeteting Sarah Marshall - I'm also not that big on the "Apatow crowd" films, but I enjoyed this far more than Knocked Up and Superbad, among others, probably due to Segel's performance. Don't know if the FFMN was necessary, but whatever. (7/10)

Geezer - The Prestige - The trailer was fantastic, but I remember being distinctly disappointed in this film. The secret behind the final trick turns out to be that the machine is one big cloning device[/spiler] left me very cold. The Illusionist was a much better film, IMHO. (6/10)

Ron Burgundy - Scarface - A classic to some, but I can only take Pacino's scenery-chewing in small doses. (6/10)

I remember bits of FTARH and NOLTD, but not enough to rate them.

MOVIE #67

numbersix - Die Hard - Awesome to see this on your list, Six. One of my favorites! Our fourth overlap. (10/10)

W - The Empire Strikes Back - My least favorite of the original series, probably because it had the least action. Still a great film, though. (9/10)

Ron Burgundy - The Life of Brian - Though I found it a lot better than Meaning of Life, this pales in comparison to Holy Grail. Still, you have to admire the balls it took to make this film, and I remember all the hoopla it generated at the time of its release. Did you know that it wouldn't have been completed if it hadn't been for a very generous donation from Eric Idle's great friend George Harrison. It's true... Harrison gave Idle $2 million of his own money so that production could finish. Idle called it "the most anyone's ever paid for a movie ticket". (8/10)

englishozzy - No Country For Old Men - Had this been made ten years ago, there's no way I would have seen it. My God, it was stark. Great performances, of course, especially from Jones and Bardem, who was bone-chilling as Chigurrh. (7/10)

leestu - Pan's Labyrinth - Didn't like this film as much the second time I saw it. The visuals were great, of course, but the rest of the story was too dark, brutal and sad for me. (6/10)

Banks - Gone Baby Gone - I remember little of this film, save to say that it was extremely average for me. (6/10)

So far, there have only been nine movies on people's lists that I've "hated" (rated a 4/10 or lower). The main reason for this is simple: it takes a lot for me to actively dislike a movie. For the most part, if a movie looks likes it's going to be one I'm going to hate, I won't see it. Ever. This is also what it keeping a lot of people's averages up (W, I'm looking at you). But for this round... Kung Pow? Seriously? I'm not one to pooh-pooh the occasional dumb-as-shit movie, because even those have some comedic merit, sometimes. But this one? I watched two minutes of this and felt dumber for having watched it.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

numbersix wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote: silversurfer & Buscemi: Blade Runner (1982) - Can't concur with six regarding the Director's Cut, I found it to add little to the original and was created largely without Scott's authority. The Final Cut is the one Scott always intended, and the Workprint also has merits.
Are we crossing wires here? The Director'sCcut is vastly different to the original. It removes all of the voice-over, removes the ending to make it more ambiguous, and adds references to Deckard's dreams to suggest that he himself is a replicant. It totally changes the movie, and is a million times better than the original I haven't seen Scott's lates cut, but from what I hear it's just some tweaking of the Director's Cut.
Yes, the Director's Cut did everything you mentioned there, but I don't think it took it far enough to actually improve on the original to the extent that it was in Scott's original vision. This is achieved with the Final Cut. Also, the quality of the image and sound is so much better in the new version, so check that out on your five disc tin set!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I dunno, SS, the dream thing is deeply essential to the theme and without it the film just doesn't work. But now I really do want to see Scott's latest cut, and gives me a good excuse to use my 5-disc edition (the only thing I've watched are the deleted scenes, which are interesting)!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

The dream sequence is maintained in the Final Cut version, what I'm saying is that basically with the Director's Cut they instilled some of Scott's original ideas but without his authorisation, and so it feels a bit like a slap-cut job where as the new version is his fully realised vision, which takes the Director's Cut and improves upon it that little bit more, to become the movie it always should have been.

It's weird though, I like aspects of all the different versions at times. I have a little nostalgia towards the voice over of the Theatrical version and so like to watch that version from time to time too!