Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #4): 70-61

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #4): 70-61

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare wrote:thegreenarrow - This Thread: (3: 0/1/2/0). Overlaps: none. Overall: (14: 1/4/7/2). I can't help but wonder if the two lists with the most total overlaps will be yours and surfer's. Of course, that may be to be expected, but just something I've noticed.
I wouldn't be surprised. Almost 9 years of watching the movies together is bound to cause quite a few crossovers, especially considering I've probably watched more movies in the last 9 years than the 19 years before that (don't try and work out my age from that, it only saddens me that I'm approaching my 30s...

I'm more surprised that so far six has been my highest rated member of the fantaverse, though granted Helena isn't far behind.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #61

Shrykespeare: Horton Hears a Who! (2008) – ANOTHER.... Okay, this actually surprised me in that it wasn't painfully awful, but wne I compare it to the likes of other animated movies to come out that year (Wall-E, Kung Fu Panda), this just doesn't even come close. Some really good visuals though (particularly the transition between the 'real' world and the who-verse) and Carrell and Carrey both did pretty good in their roles. (6/10)

thegreenarrow: Up (2009) - Absolutely brilliant and certainly one of my favourite movies from last year. i still draw a tear every time we see the flashback sequence, and to combine that superb storytelling with some hilarious characters was brilliant. The movie was made all the better because we were actually at Disney World when we saw the movie, so all the merchandising was just kicking in and i couldn't help but pick up a few bits and pieces! And to think I was a little underwhelmed by the first images I'd seen. (9/10)

transformers: 300 (2007) - Again, sometimes you need to go into a movie and admit it's just a great action movie. It's not a movie to really test your brain cells, much like other respected classics Die Hard, and more recently V For Vendetta. Snyder sticks closely to Miller's comic and literally translates each image onto the screen. Now I love the comic, so if you can keep that close to the original, then you're quite likely to impress me in that media also. Visually its a delight to the senses, innovative and breathtaking. Obviously because of this the film lags when it returns to Sparta and follows Leonidas' wife, also it's needed to make this more than just a music video, the story isn't dense enough to really keep my interest in those scenes. Nevertheless, as I said before though, it is a kick ass action movie which when viewed for what it is is a pleasure to watch. (8/10)

englishozzy: Gangs of New York - I only watched this for the first time last year, and having not expected too much from it after all the slagging off it garnered on it's release, I was generally pleasantly surprised. Not that its anything special or one of my favourite Scorcese movies, but it was at least for the most part watchable. Diaz was woefully bad in it though, and this is coming from someone who generally likes her performances. Daniel Day Lewis is pretty much the main reason to watch it though, as well as the set design which was pretty good. (6/10)

Ron Burgundy: A History of Violence (2007) - To be honest Cronenberg is very hit and miss with me. I hated Crash and couldn't get into Dead Ringers or ExistenZ, but find this, Eastern Promises and The Fly to be brilliant. This was certainly one I at least considered when assembling my own list. Viggo is great in the role, it really proved he had more to offer than just LOTR, and the story was very nicely translated from comic to screen. I don't understand your comments on why the hidden personality was silly, six, care to divulge a little more? Some great acting and nice action when needed, it's a gripping movie from start to finish. (8/10)

Buscemi: The Killer (1989) - I don't think I've ever really been that interested in Woo's movies, Face/Off was ok, but for the most part his films just don't appeal to me. The Melville comparison has perked my interest though, so I'll check out the trailer and maybe give this a go. (N/A)

Chienfantome: JSA: Joint Security Area (2000) – Another movie of yours which has been on my list for I don't know how long but haven't gotten round to watching yet. Having watched the Vengeance trilogy, Thirst and Cut though, I can't wait to see this. You are absolutely correct with your comments regarding Korean cinema too, there have been so many great movies from the region which impact you on a number of different levels, I can't wait to watch Mother again, which I haven't seen since the NZ Film Festival last May, but my parents have sent over to me for Christmas (yes I opened it before Christmas Day, some things never change...) (N/A)

numbersix: Amelie (2001) - Someone dared insult Amelie... Scandalous. One of the most imaginative and whimsical movies I've ever seen and a delight to watch from start to finish, and who hasn't wanted to send a gnome on holiday after watching this... Just me then. Will be talking a little more on this in a few weeks. (10/10)

Banks: Toy Story (1995) - Another movie which came out of nowhere with a fresh and innovative take on a familiar story. Makes me feel old though when you mention watching this when you were little. I was preparing for my GCSE exams when this was out... (age seems to be playing on my mind today). Fantastic movie which takes you back to your own childhood as well as a great story of friendship. Better than Toy Story 2 by miles, and even a little better than Toy Story 3 too. (10/10)

BarcaRulz: Requiem For a Dream (2000) - Spot on regarding Clint Mansell, I wouldn't be surprised if he picks up a well deserved Oscar this year for his new collaboration with Aronofsky. Obviously I love this, despite its subject matter. It's such a powerful movie and has kept me well away from drugs ever since. And they struggle to sort drugs in schools out - play this to the kids and the dealers will be out of business. (10/10)

Geezer: Sin City (2005) - I don't think a sequel will ever happen. Too many hands involved which can't sit down and sort it out all together. It's a nice dream, and especially now we don't have a Shellie I just can't see it happening. Still, it was in my list so I obviously echo your sentiments, great movie. (10/10)

leestu: Barton Fink (1991) – Certainly one of the Coen movies which seems to slip under the radar a lot, this was very close to making my own list. I didn't know about the Miller's Crossing writing block inspiration, but it's a really beautifully made movie which is both dark, comedic and pretty terrifying at times. Goodman in a revelation in his role and Turturro is unrecognisable from his roles in both Miller's Crossing and especially The Big Lebowski. The Coen's really do have such an impressive filmography don't they, hardly a blip in almost 30 years of movies. (9/10)

W: The Lion King (1994) - Definitely one of the best Disney's classic movies, with some iconic scenes and great characters. Still can't stand the music despite how famous they became, and Simba and Narla rolling around still makes me quesy... (8/10)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Hmm... No Lion King on your list, Shryke? I'm astonished.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yeah, considering Horton Hears a Who made it
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I liked Lion King very much. But I didn't loooooove it. Aladdin was the only hand-drawn Disney film to make my list, and only just. But that's just me.

BTW: still haven't heard from greenarrow and ozzy. If I haven't heard from them soon, I may skip posting #60 tonight.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19 wrote: transformers: 300 (2007) - Again, sometimes you need to go into a movie and admit it's just a great action movie. It's not a movie to really test your brain cells, much like other respected classics Die Hard, and more recently V For Vendetta.
Oh I totally disagree with lumping Die Hard into that category. While you can turn your brain off and enjoy the explosions of Die Hard, there's more to it than that. Firstly, there's the dash of realism that makes you feel McClane's vulnerability and make the scenario all the more tense (other action movies veer away from this and just delight in the imagery). And the villain is incomparable to the Persian in 300 or the Big Brother in V for Vendetta (who, I might add, was a little too easy to capture and makes you wonder why V just didn't do this in the first place). Rickman's character isn't just crafty, he subverts the stereotype for pretending to be a terrorist, but is really just the shady side of Capitalism. I like Die Hard because it works on many levels, whereas other action films only work on one.
I don't understand your comments on why the hidden personality was silly, six, care to divulge a little more?
Well, for someone to consciously conceal their identity, you'd imagine that it's not that easy to split yourself. Surely elements would creep out and the film should have referred to Maria Bello remembering past incidents that she wrote off but actually indicated there was something lurking behind who Viggo was. But it's not a huge issue, I still enjoyed it, but I felt it definitely went for the twist more than psychological sense.
The Coen's really do have such an impressive filmography don't they, hardly a blip in almost 30 years of movies.
Two big blips: Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers. And Burn After Reading is almost a blip for me. I had almost given up on them until No Country came along, and then A Serious Man which I seriously (!) need to rewatch.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

BTW: still haven't heard from greenarrow and ozzy. If I haven't heard from them soon, I may skip posting #60 tonight.
Just sent you a message now...
"Then telephone for an axe"

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Guys, I've been trying to come up with a formula with how to figure out the collective Fantaverse Top 100 movies of all time. Here's what I've come up with.

Every movie can factor in. A film gets a certain number of points, in that wherever a film appears on someone's list, the number of points it earns is its position subtracted from 101. (#1 = 100 pts, #2 = 99 pts, etc.) Then, if that film appears on a second person's list, the two totals are added together and multiplied by 2. If it appears a third time, it's multiplied by three, etc.

This way, if a film is in the Top Ten of only two people, it gets the same score as another film that four people put at #26 (just as an example). Having a film appear on multiple lists should be rewarded, and this is the fairest way I can think of to make that happen.

Thus, here are the scores for the Top films so far (actually, they're through Movie #60, which I WILL be posting tonight). Obviously, the films that have appeared four times are the highest:

1. Jurassic Park, 492 points (4)
2. Sin City, 488 points (4)
3. Heat, 448 points (4)
4. V For Vendetta, 408 points (4)
5. LOTR: The Two Towers, 328 points (4)
6. District 9, 312 points (4)
7. The Silence of the Lambs, 279 points (3)
8. Ratatouille, 252 points (3)
T9. Shaun of the Dead, 237 points (3)
T9. The Matrix, 237 points (3)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

That seems fair enough, as I thought that having quite a movie appear in the lower regions numerous times would skew the fantaverse's actual feelings on what their favourite films are. For example just because a few of you have picked Aladdin in the your bottom group doesn't mean it's one of our absolute favourites collectively, so this system should work.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well it seems to be a fair system, though I don't get why you multiple by the amount of times a film appears in our Lists. Surely adding would be enough, and no multiplication necessary?

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I think it's because a movie appearing twice at no.10 would earn just 180 points, while four movies at no.26 would earn 296 points, thus placing it much, much either than the former movie.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I think that if a movie is good enough to appear on two (or more) people's lists, no matter how low, there should be some way to account for that.

Without the multiplier, If the same movie appeared at #91 on ten people's lists, it would earn the name number of points than one movie appearing at #1 on one person's list.

There is a movie that was chosen by two different people at #59. Because of its higher position (42 points), it will have more points under this system with three appearances than both The Two Towers and District 9, which have appeared four times.

So far, I've only figured out the point totals for films that have appeared three times or more. But if I notice that a film appears very high on only two people's lists (and no one else's), I'll still figure those out too.

Ironically, Aladdin has appeared on three lists, but because they appeared at #82, #85, and #99 on those lists, even with the multiplier, it only has 81 points so far. There are probably a lot of films that have only appeared twice that have way more points than that.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

That seems like a good system. Well done Shryke!
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yep, the system seems fine for me ! Good work again, Shyrke ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I like it Shryke. Always using your head!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude