Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #4): 70-61

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #4): 70-61

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote:MOVIE #62

Shrykespeare: The Blind Side (2009) – And was she actually good in the movie or was it more the story you liked and she was just along for the ride? (N/A)
She was fantastic. Like I said, her best performance ever. People don't generally win Oscars for "along for the ride".
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Bullock was hamtastic in it though.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

And so, another thread comes to an end...

MOVIE #61

Shrykespeare

Horton Hears a Who! (2008)
– Directors: Jimmy Hayward and Steve Martino; starring Jim Carrey, Steve Carell, Carol Burnett and Seth Rogen. Who’d’ve thought that a movie based on a Dr. Seuss story could be so entertaining for adults as well? Carrey and Carell recapture their Bruce Almighty magic in the roles of lovable elephant Horton and the microscopic Mayor of Who-ville. Quite corny, to be sure, but also quite endearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIQFTBsGccA

silversurfer

Cape Fear (1962)
- J. Lee Thompson. Robert Mitchum, Gregory Peck and Polly Bergen. Robert Mitchum really was one of the most captivating and fearsome villains ever to appear on screen. Whether it was hunting little children down in The Night Of The Hunter or as the menacing ex-con wreaking havoc on the lawyer who sent him down in this, he was always a brutally terrifying actor who would literally become the embodiment of evil. His duel with Peck in Cape Fear makes this one of the most gripping suspense movies I've ever seen, it holds you attention like you've been strapped to the chair with it's tension. It's a chilling cat and mouse affair, where Mitchum stalks and threatens to harm Peck and his family, but always just within the law. But despite these flaws in the judicial system, which Thompson is keen to point out, Peck is definitely his equal, the family man holding stalwart despite his fear, as he attempts to lure Mitchum to his own doom at his remote boathouse. The climax is full-throttled and adrenaline-fuelled, keeping you on the edge of your seat, and that is complemented by a delightfully moody score. Quite possibly one of the greatest suspense movies Hitchcock never made. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73lZPln-A2I

thegreenarrow

Up (2009) –
Directors: Pete Docter, Bob Peterson; starring Edward Asner, Jordan Nagai and Christopher Plummer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkqzFUhGPJg

transformers

300 (2007)
- Director: Zach Snyder; starring Gerard Butler, David Wenham and Lena Headey; 300 is one of those films that gets a huge split reaction. Personally, I love this film. When it comes to huge action flicks I really can't think of too many better. 300 is a grand scale visual fest. The visuals add such a cool element to the film. On top of the action and visuals, the story is actually pretty intriguing. Zack Snyder did a great job with this film and continued to solidify himself as one of the most impressive directors of this generation. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNqiSkd1M6k
(this isn't the actual trailer, it's a really funny parody of it)

englishozzy

Gangs of New York (2002)
- Director: Martin Scorsese; starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day-Lewis, Cameron Diaz, Jim Broadbent and Brendan Gleeson. This is actually the first film I ever watched that was directed by Scorsese and still remains one of my favourites. A film that comes across as a great big muddle is actually tied up well by the time you finish it. Classic Scorsese recreating a dark, violent look at 19th Century America and democracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_CDJiYux1A

Ron Burgundy

A History of Violence (2007)
- Director: David Cronenberg; starring: Viggo Mortensen, Maria Bello, Ed Harris and William Hurt. Easily my favourite Cronenberg film, and I wish I could have squeezed another of his films in here but he just missed out, might have had 3 or 4 entries if it were a top 200. But this is just special, Viggo Mortensen shows he can do more than just Aragorn, and the supporting cast are pretty much on the same level or even better in some parts. I love the ending too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBerc2JwN4I

Buscemi

The Killer (1989)
- Director: John Woo; starring Chow Yun-Fat, Danny Lee, Sally Yeh and Kenneth Tsang. Graphic but beautiful, violent yet meaningful, this was the film that launched Woo and Yun-Fat to international stardom. The film takes the usual "one last job" premise and really works wonders with it. The premise is simple (hitman takes one last job to help girl he accidentally blinded), but the Melville and Scorsese-inspired style is the main reason to watch it. The over-the-top violence is one reason why it is so good but also it is a meaningful film about the code of honor and works as a companion film to Le Samourai and Mean Streets (interestingly enough, John Woo also based his lesser film Paycheck off of Le Samourai). And yes, this is the film where John Woo started using the dove symbols (Woo does this to represent spirits, somewhat fitting in with Woo's deeply religious views).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c1JPPkE08w

Chienfantome

JSA: Joint Security Area (2000)
– Director: Park Chan-Wook, starring Song Kang-Ho, Lee Byung-Hun and Lee Yeong-Ae. Korea’s back in my Top, again. This time with the film that revealed the undeniable talent of Park Chan-Wook as a filmmaker, before his mesmerizing vengeance trilogy. I’ve seen all of Park’s films, and I can tell you, you don’t need to waste time seeing the two crappy ones he made in the 90’s. JSA is the one where it all begins. It takes place on the border between South and North Korea. A tragedy happened. Guards of the border were killed on both sides, and a neutral investigator arrives to find out what happened. By flashback, we are then told of the unlikely friendship between northern and southern guards. More than just the suspenseful drama it already is, JSA is a remarkable, engaged look at the feelings uniting South and North Koreans. What’s amazing in Korean cinema is how such directors as Park Chan-Wook or Bong Joon-Ho can at the same time entertain with high cinematographic qualities and deeply touch us with a thoughtful and well crafted story. JSA launched the new wave of Korean cinema ten years ago, and it remains of the most important Korean films there is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3zOZL5nl2w

numbersix

Amelie (2001)
- Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet; starring Audrey Tautou, Matieu Kassovitz and Serge Merlin. I'll never forget attending a seminar on French cinema, hosted by a French lecturer, who scoffed at Amelie, stating that he could show us a Kylie Minogue music video that offered a more accurate portrayal of Montmartre. What a jerk, assuming that social realism is the only form of storytelling (I think I quit his seminar afterwards). But for me there is a social point to the film, for is it not a story about a person's struggle to retain the magic of the imagination while engaging with reality? The film shows them as almost mutually exclusive, and the plot is really her journey to merge the two, by ultimately giving herself to another, but while still being able to retain what makes her a unique and creative individual. There's more going on than just pretty images and coy moments. Indeed, it is one of the best films about growing up without having to give in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHIUGLEQ3hs

Banks

Toy Story (1995)
- Director: John Lasseter; starring Tim Allen, Tom Hanks, Don Rickles and Jim Varney. One of the first cartoon films I’d seen when I was little, the original Toy Story will always stand out to be as one of the best animated films Pixar – or anyone for that matter – has ever done. Who would’ve thought that Tim Allen and Tom Hanks would be a comedy team for the ages? (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYz2wyBy3kc

BarcaRulz

Requiem For a Dream (2000)
- Director: Darren Arronofsky; starring Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto and Jennifer Connolly. This was my introduction into the genius of Aronofsky. A truly well-made movie that takes us into the gritty and not-so-pretty world of drug addiction. Also worth noting is that this film has by far my best soundtrack, Clint Mansell does a terrific job and I believe it has a lot to do with how well this movie sets up its mood and builds suspense. (2nd apperance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgo3Hb5vWLE

Geezer

Sin City (2005)
- Director: Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez; starring Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen and Bruce Willis. It’s been a while since I've sat down and watched this, and thus its fallen quite a few spots since my last installment, but it still rates very highly for me. This film had a profound impact on me. I had never seen anything like it. The visuals were stunning. The way the film was laid out was unique and original. The stories themselves were thoroughly engaging. Mickey Rourke and Bruce Willis kick so much ass. How come the sequel hasn't arrived yet??? (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwIlEu7o9ZM

leestu

Barton Fink (1991)
– Director Joel Coen and Ethan Coen; starring John Turturro, John Goodman and Judy Davis. My favourite Coen Brothers movie. A great dark thriller about a screen writer with writer’s block. An great, intelligent story and John Goodman was surprisingly incredibly good in this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK0WjWlVO9w

W

The Lion King (1994)
- Director: Roger Allers, Rob Minkoff; starring Matthew Broderick, Jeremy Irons, James Earl Jones, and Jonathan Taylor Thomas. For my money, the absolute best animated Disney film of all time. There's a great story, great secondary characters, and great voice actors including maybe the best voice of all-time, James Earl Jones... And the music is top notch. Pretty much every song in the movie was a classic the second it hit the theaters. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejEVczA8PLU

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Time to get caught up:

Movie #62

leestu - The Usual Suspects - This will be in my Top 5, easily. Awesome, dude. Our fifth overlap. (10/10)

numbersix - Apocalypse Now - Terrific movie. I remember watching it in high school. One scene still resonates with me today: the bit where Martin Sheen is on the river bank, and there's a black soldier firing wildly into the trees on the other side, screaming and cursing. Martin calmly asks him, "Who's your commanding officer?" and the soldier just turns to him and says, "Ain't you?" A microcosm of the Vietnam War, right there. (8/10)

W - Attack of the Clones - Well, I won't bash this as much as Six did (I doubt anyone could), but this is also my least favorite of all the SW movies. Christensen really sucks as an actor, I'm sorry. Still, the action was pretty good. (7/10)

transformers - Rocky - A classic. (7/10)

BarcaRulz - HP & Prisoner of Azkaban - Still my least favorite of the HP movies, up until this last one. It was just so dark, with none of the fun and whimsy of the first two films. (7/10)

englishozzy - Knocked Up - It was pretty good. (7/10)

Ron Burgundy - Blue Velvet - Sorry, Ron, but David Lynch is one of my least favorite directors. This film, in particular, is the reason why. (3/10)

Movie #61

transformers - 300 - Terrific, tranny! Our eighth overlap! You've tied ozzy for the lead in that category! (10/10)

Geezer - Sin City - Good choice. Don't be surprised if you see it again very soon (but not from me). (8/10)

Banks - Toy Story - A terrific story. I really should watch it again. (8/10)

thegreenarrow - Up - I just didn't love this as much as most of the other Pixar films of the last seven years. If it weren't for Dug, it would be rated even lower. (8/10)

W - The Lion King - A very good film. Haven't seen it in ten years, so it's slipped a little for me. (7/10)

Ron Burgundy - A History of Violence - I don't like this as much as Eastern Promises, but it's still a very good film. (7/10)

englishozzy - Gangs of New York - Sorry, ozz. Too long, didn't like the story or the characters. (4/10)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Shryke......Horton Hears A Who?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

numbersix wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Six, I'll give you that Crash is heavy-handed, but most insulting movie about race ever? How's that?

And is there really all that much of a difference between Scientology and say Christianity? Buddhism? Judaism?
Well, I haven't seen a move more heavy handed about race. Perhaps there's some awful micro-budget kids educational films that are worse, but I just haven't seen them. Crash has a nasty habit of simplifying race issues (Bullock's character is a prime example), as if racism is something conscious and easily solved. If only. There's no complexity to the film, as it joins its thoughts on race with a deeply predictable and saccharine plot.

To answer your second part, yes, there is a huge difference. I am not religious, but even I understand that there are positive elements that a person can take from the teachings of Christianity, Buddhism, and Judaism in order to establish a sense of morality. Scientology does not, it's based on the idea of pure force. You're forced into believing what they tell you, rather than having the choice to interpret. Plus, it was blatently created in order to sucker people, and has nothing to teach besides that psychiatrists are evil, and that women giving birth have to be silent. Now this doesn't mean I'm going to hate Haggis's movies just because he's a Scientologist, it's just a happy coincidence!
It could easily be argued that ALL religions are based on pure force. Aren't they all basically "Do this and don't do that, or you'll be punished"?

And all religions forbid certain things. Christianity = no believing in other Gods/. Muslims = no alcohol/no pork. Judaism = no cremation. Scientology = no mind-altering drugs (psychiatrists).

I think just because it's so much newer than the others, it's automatically weird and bad. It's just as weird/outlandish/strange as any other religion - we've just had time to get used to those.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare wrote:
W - Attack of the Clones - Well, I won't bash this as much as Six did (I doubt anyone could), but this is also my least favorite of all the SW movies. Christensen really sucks as an actor, I'm sorry. Still, the action was pretty good. (7/10)
Actually, this guy bashes it even more in a 9-part review of why Attack of the Clones sucks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBhi6qqFLA

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
It could easily be argued that ALL religions are based on pure force. Aren't they all basically "Do this and don't do that, or you'll be punished"?

And all religions forbid certain things. Christianity = no believing in other Gods/. Muslims = no alcohol/no pork. Judaism = no cremation. Scientology = no mind-altering drugs (psychiatrists).

I think just because it's so much newer than the others, it's automatically weird and bad. It's just as weird/outlandish/strange as any other religion - we've just had time to get used to those.
As anti-religious as I am, there's a difference between dogmatism and force. There's certainly a difference between not allowing cremation and being forced to break all ties with your family, which Scientology imposes. While religions impose restrictions and rule, they don't literally bully and torture people like Scientology does. I grant that certain religions may have done this in the past though, and even certain Muslim communities still do, but that can be argued that it's the misinterpretation of religious texts for personal gain. Moral virtue can be found in the texts of religions, and they certainly can't in Scientology. Th essence of the cult is to make money off the weak by literally psychologically torturing them into submission. Seriously, read up on this and you will see it for the most evil group of the last 50 years.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'll post a summary of the thread later...

MOVIE #61

Shrykespeare: Horton Hears a Who! (2008) – you really are king of the cartoons, aren't you? Haven't seen this either.

silversurfer: Cape Fear (1962) - I prefer The Night of the Hunter, but this is still good. Perhaps not a classic for me, but it feels more like a very solid thriller.

thegreenarrow: Up (2009) - Love it. Both moving and belly-bursting hilarious.

transformers: 300 (2007) - Yeah, I think that split reaction is whether you can enjoy a film purely on a visual level or not. For me, it's not enough, and the awful dialogue, dodgy acting, and utter lack of story just isn't enough to make it any more that passable at first, but not worth watching again.

englishozzy: Gangs of New York -Without doubt this is my least favourite Scorsese film (and I've seen 17 of them!). Di Caprio is awful (I was onyl convinced of his acting skills after The Departed), Diaz is even worse, and all we have are a few moments of Day-Lewis to dazzle us. But his presence only serves to show how pathetic the other leads are. The story doesn't work because I just didn't buy the protagonist's story, nor the romance. This isn't classic Scorsese, it's the sign of a once-great director losing his edge.

Ron Burgundy: A History of Violence (2007) - Not a bad movie. It's a bit silly with the whole hidden personality, the borderline rape scene is a little insulting, and the comedic moments with Hurt just feel odd. But Mortensen was good and the twisted ending was interesting.

Buscemi: The Killer (1989) - I don't like Woo as a director, I think he's all flamboyance and that makes the violence have no gravitas, as all reality (and thus tension) is removed. But I've only seen his English-language films, so perhaps his Chinese ones are different?

Chienfantome: JSA: Joint Security Area (2000) – After seeing the vengeance trilogy, I've been dying to watch the film that made his name. I loved the trailer, and I like the idea. Damn, I really need to see this. and considering what's going on between the Koreas at the moment, it's probably even more relevant.

Banks: Toy Story (1995) - Good to see someone appreciate the original for what it is- a bona fide classic, and it beats the sequels in my humble opinion.

BarcaRulz: Requiem For a Dream (2000) - It's probably my least favourite of the 4 Aronofsky films, but I still adore it. Some argue it goes too far, but that's just the kind of extremes novellist Hubert Selby Jnr loved to explore. I also liked how Aronofsky uses visual speeding to emphasise how addiction can consume and eventually waste our lives. Obvious, perhaps, but it's nevertheless powerful.

Geezer: Sin City (2005) - I totally get the impact it had. I walked out of the cinema and felt the world was different. The visuals and actions are so extreme that suddenly everything is a threat. It's a hell of a paranoia-inducing film if you're in the wrong frame of mind. But it's ability to do that in a world of routine action films makes it all the more special.

leestu: Barton Fink (1991) – One of the few films to get a unanimous win for the Palme D'Or, no less. This is the Coens casting aside their tendancy for action and comedy, and making an almost surreal arthouse drama. Did you know they actually wrote this while writing Miller's Crossing (they got writer's block, and appropriately came up with Barton Fink). A vastly under-rated film.

W: The Lion King (1994) - Really should see this.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Horton Hears a Who
Oh no, I cannot agree with that. I know you're an animated lover, but now it seems you just love every single piece of animated movie of the past few years enough for Top 100, even the crap like Horton. Because as much as I can understand for Pixar, and I can tolerate some Dreamworks stuff, but Horton was just awful ! Come on Shryke, you're better than this !!! ;)

Surfer - Cape Fear
I really need to get my hand on this one of these days. On another note, it's funny because tomorrow, Black Narcissus is getting a re-release in Paris, so I should be able to catch it ! And Point Blank is coming late January !

Greenarrow - Up
On of the most beaufitul animated film of the past few years. Pixar really leveled up its standards, again. It's so funny and so moving at the same time, with amazing visuals. Great, great film.

transformers - 300
Yep, I'm on the "NOOOOOOO" side ;) I love it when a film can be visually groundbreaking, or at least visually dazzling, but sometimes, it just seems to be useless, and 300 certainly seems so to me.

Ozzy - Gangs of New York
Ouch, Six really hits hard at it ! Well I like it very much. It sure is a departure for Scorsese, but I do see why he wanted to tell that story. I don't really like Diaz and DiCaprio either myself in that film, but this huge mess of a film fits perfectly to tell a tale of America and how mixity makes its grandeur. Day-Lewis is chilling in it.

Ron B - A history of violence
I prefer my Cronenbergs more tortured and tainted with fantasy, à la Dead Zone or eXistenZ, but A history of violence certainly has some great moments. I think what I prefer in it is its masterfully shot opening, long shot sequence. It's fascinating.

Buscemi - The Killer
A surprising and very interesting pick, Buscemi. I have been trying to see The Killer for years, but still haven't gotten my hands on it. I'm very curious about it, mostly because it's Woo hommage to Melville's Le Samourai. John Woo's career in HK is much more interesting than what he does in the US. I love "Hard Boiled" with Chow Yun Fat and Tony Leung. I should very soon see (I have it on my dvd shelf) what is considered his masterpiece, "A bullet in the head".

Six - Amelie
Aaaaaah, Six, it's a pleasure to see Amelie appear in your Top, and it's certainly a pleasure to read what you have to say about it. Too many people in France criticized its lack of realism, calling it reactionary, totally missing the point of Jeunet. It's a moment of magic like only art, and thus cinema, can offer us. Watching it fills my heart with joy. Maybe I'll mention it later... (oh who am I kidding !? lol)

Banks - Toy Story
I haven't seen it in 15 years, and barely remember it to be honest, but the high quality of the third film really made me want to see it again.

Barca - Requiem for a dream
An amazing film for sure, Barca. The kind of films you never forget. The kind that sticks in your brain and in your muscles and in your heart for a long time. I haven't seen it since theater, but I still remember every feeling I have felt watching it. I almost included it in my Top.

Geezer - Sin City
One very popular film ! I wish I had seen it more than once, but I haven't yet. Just the one time in theater, and it was really a fantastic experience. Great choice Geez !

leestu - Barton Fink
Aaaaah, you're a man of taste, leestu. Barton Fink is one of my favourite Coen films. A quirky, intense and fascinating film. Did you know this is the film that made the Cannes Film Festival's president change the rules of the competition ? Because it won the Golden Palm, the Best Director Prize and the Best Actor Prize, and the head of the Festival thought the festival was more about awarding several deserving films instead on focusing on one, it then instaured a rule that stated that no film could combine several prizes at the palmarès, except combining one with a Best Actor and/or Best Actress Prize. The only year that rule was broken was in 2003, when, exceptionnally, at the insistance of the Head of the Jury Patrice Chéreau, who insisted the selection was too poor to award the biggest prizes to several films, Elephant won the Golden Palm and the Best Director Prize. End of the anecdote ;)

W - The Lion King
A very nice animated Disney, which was kind of groundbreaking at the time in term of animation, and was excellent musically.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And now folks it's time for my usual round up of your last 10 picks.

Overall I felt it was generally better, with most people raising in their average score. Except for one....

Shryke
Average: 5.6
A bit of a disappointing round for you Shryke, but it's to be expected as we want different things from cinema, and there's nothing wrong with that! I do like A Fish Called Wanda and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, though. Shame about Saw, I just found it to be such a throwaway horror movie with a ridiculous twist that's only surprising because it's so implausible.

SS
Average: 7.9
Back on top with another stunning score. I rarely give films an 8 so the fact that you're averaging that is reall impressive. Your worst film is Shaun of the Dead and that's a film I could watch over and over! Too many good ones to mention, especially when 4 of them are in my Top 100!

Mrs. SS
Average: 7.86
So close to your hubby in terms of impressive average, which makes sense as you definitely share a great taste in film. Some really nice surprises like Rashomon and 28 Days Later.

Transformers
Average: 5.4
Lowest of the bunch, I'm afraid. You love action, you love dumb comedy, I get that. I just don't get much from them beyond momentary distraction. Still, I enjoyed the Dawn of the Dead remake and of course Saving Private Ryan

English Ozzy
Average: 6.63
A solid score and definitely an improvement than you. I do hate Gangs of New York but you made up for that with Knocked Up, and No Country for Old Men which appeared in my own Top 100 recently.

Ron B
Average: 6.56
You and Ozzy always have a similar score, for some reason. Anyway, another round of solid picks, and even my least favourite films you picked (Heat, The Matrix) have good elements to them.

Buscemi
Average: 7.33
A notable rise in average, back to your usual quality score. Lots of great stuff here, with sci-fi classics like Blade Runner and Terminator 2 deserving to be in any list of great films. Plus Boogie Nights is a common film for us. Think Traffic and The Unbearable Lightness of Being are both over-rated films.

Chien
Average: 5.83
Mon ami, what happened? Usually I love your picks, and the average for you is high, but this is a recession-worthy plummet. Well, looking back it's because there's 2 films that are well regarded by critics but I just don't like. Heat is very over-rated and PAcino and De Niro are caricatures of themselves, and I've already explained why I hate Gran Torino (and pretty much everything Clint has made since Unforgiven). Still, Kikujiro and Philadelphia are great films and you did remind me that I really need to see JSA.

Banks
Average: 6.1
Not bad, and a better average than last round. Love The 40-Year Old Virgin and Burton's Batman, but Crash and Juno are two films I have major issues with.

BarcaRulz
Average: 6.6
Another solid round for you, with classic blockbusters like Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park making your list. Plus In Bruges is very entertaining. Not crazy about Snatch though.

Geezer
Average: 6.57
A surprisingly high score considering we have very different tastes in cinema, but I haven't seen a few of your films (knowing they're not my thing). But Jurassic Park (again!), Sin City, and Reservoir Dogs are all hip and genuinely good movies.

Leetsu
Average: 7.17
Another solid round consisting of films I like and lots of films I haven't seen! But not a poor pick to be seen, and Barton Fink and Seven being particularly special.

W
Average: 6.33
Another vast improvement for you too. Lots I haven't seen, but from what I did see I sometimes liked. Still, I totally detest Attack of the Clones, especiall as you rated it higher than The Empire Strikes Back!

39 films from my list have already appeared on others, and 51 times! SS is galloping into the lead with 12 of his films on my list, and everyone by Tranny having a film in common

Films that I need to see:
Un héros très discret
Black Narcissus
Two Lovers
Plein soleil (Purple Noon)
Cinderella Man
JSA: Joint Security Area

BONUS LIST
After Shryke did his breakdown, I was curious about my own Top 100 in terms of how many films I chose from each decade. And here it is:

2000s: 14
1990s: 17
1980s: 18
1970s: 22
1960s: 11
1950s: 10
1940s: 6
before 1940: 2

Not a bad mix, and no surprises that the 70's, a period of astounding cinema, especially in the US, gets the most films. Surprised to see the 80's do so well, considering overall it's a decade I'm not crazy about in terms of films and music. I'm sure ina few years some more films from the last decade will creep in, and I really need to explore 40's film noir more.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I think the overall reason of why my grade in your book is so low, Six, is that you haven't seen most of the films I have listed. And so with the little you've seen, if there's something you don't like, bang, I get an overall low grade. What confirms that even more is that out of the 6 films you want to see, 4 of them come from my list.
That, and the fact you have shitty taste about Eastwood's value ;) And it will keep on lowing my grade, since it's not his only post-Unforgiven film of his in my Top ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chienfantome wrote:#61

Shryke - Horton Hears a Who
Oh no, I cannot agree with that. I know you're an animated lover, but now it seems you just love every single piece of animated movie of the past few years enough for Top 100, even the crap like Horton. Because as much as I can understand for Pixar, and I can tolerate some Dreamworks stuff, but Horton was just awful ! Come on Shryke, you're better than this !!! ;)
Well, you'll be glad to know that there only six of my remaining 60 films are animated, and there won't be another one for nearly three weeks. I think that many of you will find those six choices satisfactory, as many of them have already been chosen.

Six, thanks for that YouTube link to the review/bashing of the Star Wars prequels. I haven't laughed so hard in weeks. I loved it so much I had to watch all his stuff. Just awesome.

Here's a recap of the thread:

Shrykespeare
70. A Fish Called Wanda
69. The Arrival
68. Chicken Run
67. Diggstown
66. Saw
65. Monsters vs. Aliens
64. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
63. LOTR: The Two Towers
62. The Blind Side
61. Horton Hears a Who!

silversurfer
70. 12 Angry Men
69. Blade Runner
68. Night of the Living Dead
67. Oldboy
66. The Big Lebowski
65. This is Spinal Tap
64. 2001: A Space Odyssey
63. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
62. Shaun of the Dead
61. Cape Fear

thegreenarrow
70. Black Narcissus
69. The Lady Vanishes
68. Alien
67. Office Space
66. Giant
65. Rashomon
64. Bicycle Thief
63. 28 Days Later…
62. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
61. Up

transformers
70. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
69. The Lion King
68. Saving Private Ryan
67. Friday Night Lights
66. Hot Rod
65. True Romance
64. Clerks 2
63. V For Vendetta
62. Rocky
61. 300

englishozzy
70. Slumdog Millionaire
69. Shane
68. Ocean's Eleven
67. No Country For Old Men
66. Vertigo
65. Bruce Almighty
64. Sunshine
63. American Beauty
62. Knocked Up
61. Gangs of New York

Ron Burgundy
70. Heat
69. The Matrix
68. Scarface
67. Monty Python and the Life of Brian
66. Zoolander
65. The Silence of the Lambs
64. Happy Gilmore
63. The Castle
62. Blue Velvet
61. A History of Violence

Buscemi
70. Reservoir Dogs
69. Blade Runner
68. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
67. Dead/Alive (aka Braindead)
66. Boogie Nights
65. An Inconvenient Truth
64. Traffic
63. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
62. The Unbearable Lightness of Being
61. The Killer

Chienfantome
70. Heat
69. Full Metal Jacket
68. Un heros tres discret (A Self-Made Hero)
67. Two Lovers
66. Gran Torino
65. Kikujirô no natsu (Kikujiro)
64. Plein soleil (Purple Noon)
63. Philadelphia
62. North By Northwest
61. JSA: Joint Security Area

numbersix
70. Jurassic Park
69. The Manchurian Candidate
68. Lost Highway
67. Die Hard
66. Strangers on a Train
65. Amarcord
64. Akira
63. No Country For Old Men
62. Apocalypse Now
61. Amelie

Banks
70. The 40-Year-Old Virgin
69. Heathers
68. True Lies
67. Gone Baby Gone
66. Kill Bill Vol. 2
65. Batman
64. Juno
63. Crash
62. Harry Potter & Prisoner of Azkaban
61. Toy Story

BarcaRulz
70. Frost/Nixon
69. The Lives of Others
68. The Sixth Sense
67. In Bruges
66. The City of Lost Children
65. Jurassic Park
64. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
63. Snatch
62. The Devil's Backbone
61. Requiem For a Dream

Geezer
70. 300
69. Major Payne
68. The Prestige
67. Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
66. Orange County
65. Ratatouille
64. Cinderella Man
63. Jurassic Park
62. Reservoir Dogs
61. Sin City

leestu
70. Shane
69. Rocky
68. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
67. Pan's Labyrinth
66. The Evil Dead
65. Se7en
64. The Blair Witch Project
63. King Kong
62. The Usual Suspects
61. Barton Fink

W
70. Zoolander
69. John Q
68. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
67. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
66. Austin Powers: Intl. Man of Mystery
65. The Replacements
64. Knocked Up
63. Dirty Work
62. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
61. The Lion King

Still waiting on the next picks from surfer, greenarrow, and ozzy.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I just sent mine Shryke.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here's my recap of this thread:

Numbers in parentheses: (Seen It: Hated it/Liked it/Loved it/Overlaps My List)

englishozzy - This Thread: (8: 1/3/2/2). Overlaps: Ocean's Eleven, Bruce Almighty. Overall: (29: 2/13/6/8). You have easily the most number of movies that I've seen so far, and tied for the most overlaps. You choose a lot of movies that I merely like, however.

Geezer - This Thread: (6: 0/2/2/2). Overlaps: 300, Ratatouille. Overall: (24: 1/9/7/7). You have a lot of overlaps (though not the most, yet) with me, and the second-most that I've seen. Very solid list.

transformers - This Thread: (5: 0/2/1/2). Overlaps: V For Vendetta, 300. Overall: (22: 0/7/7/8). You are tied for the most overlaps, and have the most films that I've seen WITHOUT having one that I've hated.

BarcaRulz - This Thread: (5: 0/1/3/1). Overlaps: Terminator 2. Overall: (16: 0/5/4/7). I've seen less than half your picks, but those that I've seen, I've generally really liked. Seven overlaps out of 16 that I've seen is a damn fine percentage.

Ron Burgundy - This Thread: (7: 1/3/2/1). Overlaps: The Matrix. Overall: (21: 1/7/11/2). You have more films that I've "loved" than anyone (read: given a score of 8/10 or 9/10 to), but strangely, only two overlaps so far (Shrek is the other one).

Banks - This Thread: (5: 0/2/3/0). Overlaps: none. Overall: (21: 1/8/9/3). A good thread but nothing that memorable. Even the three I loved I never really considered for my list (at best, they were early cuts).

W - This Thread: (7: 0/6/1/0). Overlaps: none. Overall: (20: 0/9/7/4). Given your penchant for stupid comedies, it's no wonder that most of your choices go into my "like" column. I hope that we have more in common to come.

leestu - This Thread: (5: 0/3/0/2). Overlaps: Se7en, The Usual Suspects. Overall: (13: 0/8/0/5). Wow. Five that made my list and eight that were mere likes. This was your best thread so far (with two Kevin Spacey classics). Keep it up!

numbersix - This Thread: (4: 0/1/2/1). Overlaps: Die Hard. Overall: (14: 1/6/3/4). Not too shabby. I expect that I'll have seen less than half of the films on your list, but at least I've liked what I have seen.

thegreenarrow - This Thread: (3: 0/1/2/0). Overlaps: none. Overall: (14: 1/4/7/2). I can't help but wonder if the two lists with the most total overlaps will be yours and surfer's. Of course, that may be to be expected, but just something I've noticed.

silversurfer - This Thread: (2: 0/1/0/1). Overlaps: Return of the Jedi. Overall: (12: 0/7/2/3). See above.

Buscemi - This Thread: (2: 0/1/0/1). Overlaps: Terminator 2. Overall: (14: 1/3/4/6). You had a lot of movies that I've only seen pieces of or haven't seen in a long enough time that I can't remember them well enough to rate them (Reservoir Dogs, Blade Runner, Boogie Nights). This is why you're so low this thread.

Chienfantome This Thread: (3: 0/0/3/0). Overlaps: none. Overall: (6: 1/1/3/1). Given your penchant for foreign films and classic Hollywood stuff, it's no surprise why I've seen so few of your picks. But you had three very good choices this thread in Gran Torino, Full Metal Jacket and Philadelphia.

Movies that have appearared four times:

District 9
Heat
Jurassic Park (not including myself and surfer, who had it at #101)
LOTR: The Two Towers
V For Vendetta (also surfer's #108)

Movies that have appeared three times:

Aladdin (also Ron B's #107)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Giant
L.A. Confidential
Office Space
Oldboy
Platoon
Ratatouille
Shaun of the Dead
Shrek
The Fifth Element
The Matrix

Wonder what will be the first film to appear FIVE times.